View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #75
hindsight20

Re: Paxil and Pregnancy-Official warnings!

Sorry about that. Cooperclann, I started Paxil right after my first trimester. I continued it through the pregnancy and a little after it. I found out I was pregnant with my daughter and stopped taking it. She had wicked rage issues. My son has scars on his cheeks from where she tried to claw his eyes out (she was not quite two). She used to bite my son and her dolls so hard her whole body would shake. I thought maybe it had to do with her colic. We never figured out when it ended. It just seemed she went from screaming 24/7 to kicking and biting everyone. My son bore the brunt of it since he zones out and didn't defend himself. Fortunately, we have a great program over here for early intervention. We worked with them for over a year and she has calmed down a great deal. We still have problems with fits, but very little violent rage. (Except this weekend she laid my son's lip open.) But it's sad to say it, but it has been awhile, so it's progress of sorts. What we use to curb her rage is the same techniques they use on Autistic children. I know toddlers are different than older children, but you might want to check with a local Autism program and see how they deal with their older children. Giving her a place to scream until she calmed down helped. We tell her that she can scream all she wants in her room or on her bed, but she can't come out until she's done. The theapists say it gives them a chance to sort things out and learn how to self calm. With my son, over stimulation really shorts him out. So, having an hour or so after school calms him. We just let him be by himself. Sometimes (like when my mom came to visit and it was WAY to much to process), he will spend a whole day in his room. We don't make him (and have to lure him out with food), but he does just to process everything. My mom used to think we were horrible for that, then she saw what we meant. My son thrives on his quiet time. Now that he's getting older, his reactions in stores looks like a wild undisapplined kid. But we know it's over stimulation. He literally can't focus on us with everything coming at him so fast.

I really can't say enough about checking into programs like the early intervention ones. They offer all sorts of coping classes and ways to handle children when you don't want to have to medicate them. You also meet other parents that are at their wits ends too.