our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 10-19-2006, 05:22 PM   #26
ihatezaps
"Keep calm and carry on!"

Re: Is Paxil a Narcotic?

I remember reading on Rob Robinson's Paxil Protest website that GSK was originally going to release Paxil as a narcotic.

Approximately 8 years Paxil 20 mg. Side effects: weight gain, personality changes, no motivation, memory loss, stomach problems, dizziness, headaches, excessive sleeping and eating, vivid dreams. Did a very slow taper, dropping 1/2 mg at a time using liquid Paxil. Paxil free as of 1/13/2007
ihatezaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #27
pmflaherty

ihatezaps- Really? That's interesting.
scotty- "iatrogenic".. awesome word. I wonder if you could make one for a disease caused by a company rather than a physician. GSKgenic? haha. What would be the greek word for Big Pharma or Corporation? Corporagenic Damage? Moneyhungrybloodsuckingbigpharmagenic damage?
Anyway, as far as my comparison to a Narcotic, I just think that it would basically pin a new stigma to SSRI's. It sure would shake things up if that happened in the mainstream opinion of it's usage and i'm sure you would see something like an 80% or more drop in prescription and sales.. that's just an opinion though, I really have no idea. The one thing however that I think we all probably do agree on is the first comparison with the word Addiction. Paxil IS without question addictive in my opinion.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:35 PM   #28
BriOnH

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmflaherty
Paxil IS without question addictive in my opinion.
I'd be willing to bet that's a fact. The 45-62% range of withdrawal symptoms as shown in the Primetime video here, covered up by GSK, I believe is significantly higher. Even if people are lucky enough to not experience wd also doesn't mean it is not addictive. I really like the article/report posted. Been thinking about it a lot today.
05/18/04 - Went back on to 15 mg - I think I could have hung in there if I was aware of this forum.
07/28/2005 - Quit Paxil 15 mg - Second Attempt
11/06/2005 -- On 10 mg to stabilize and will try again
11/30/2005 -- Back to 15mg again.
12/18/05 -- 7.5 mg
12/31/05 -- 0
1/05/06 -- back on 15 mg

10/25/06 -- 1mg xanax down from 3 mg from 5 month taper.

www.diabuddies.com
Brian Hartigan
BriOnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:10 PM   #29
elisa

I've read some research articles (internet) on withdrawl symptoms and one of them said that it is estimated that 70% of antidepressant users upon discontinutation experience withdrawl symptoms, ranging from mild to severe. I've also read that with Effexor it's 78%. I wished that I had kept them.

I believe that some who go off the meds don't even realize what they're experiencing are withdrawl symptoms. I reckon that those are the "mild" symptoms.

Cigarettes are recognised as being highly addictive. Yet some have no problems in quitting.

There is more going on than meets the eye with the antidepressants. Some of us get a zombie effect and/or also get pseudo-parkinsonism. I think there is a connection with antipsychotics and antidepressants. Many on antipsychotics experience those 2 side-effects as well. What it is I don't know. What I DO know is that Big Pharma is playing with our health.
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:35 PM   #30
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisa
Cigarettes are recognised as being highly addictive. Yet some have no problems in quitting.
And people have NO problem with THAT designation!!!! But they will fight the "addiction" designation with ssri's. Makes NO sense!!

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:51 PM   #31
elisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty
And people have NO problem with THAT designation!!!! But they will fight the "addiction" designation with ssri's. Makes NO sense!!
Yep, it doesn't make sense because people in general don't want to admit that they're addicted to antidepressants because Big Pharma told them they're NOT. Additionally they were approved by the FDA and its equivalents, therefore safe and not addictive!! NOT

Tobacco Co's finally admitted after decades that tobacco is highly addictive after whistleblowers told the truth. We need some whistleblowers inside Big Pharma regarding the psychotropic drugs.
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
Old 10-20-2006, 09:53 AM   #32
pmflaherty

Geocities pulled my article.. interesting.. they wont say why. whatever.. but yeah. Good take on the tobacco thing. What is considered to be the most addicting drug i wonder? Heroin? Just wondering.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:55 AM   #33
Amaya's Nana
An "A bucket" gal!

Quote:
Geocities pulled my article.. interesting.. they wont say why. whatever.. but yeah. Good take on the tobacco thing. What is considered to be the most addicting drug i wonder? Heroin? Just wondering.
They pulled your article?????? WTF?? That is just soooo wrong. Whatever happened to freedom of speech?

a/k/a Lisa
PAXIL FREE AS OF 3/18/06! Fully recovered!

Focus your attention on the here and now. Recognize it for what it is: the one moment of the only life you will ever have that you truly possess. Rare is the individual who has come to completely accept that the past is no more than a memory and the future an assumption about unborn events.
Amaya's Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:23 AM   #34
BriOnH

Quote:
Geocities pulled my article.. interesting..
I can't believe they pulled that!! Be nice to know why. I am sure legally they can pull it without any problem. Probably a clause in their terms and conditions. Why would they pull it though?
05/18/04 - Went back on to 15 mg - I think I could have hung in there if I was aware of this forum.
12/18/05 -- 7.5 mg
12/31/05 -- 0
1/05/06 -- back on 15 mg

www.diabuddies.com
Brian Hartigan
Old 10-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #35
elisa

Quote:
It is said that quitting smoking is more difficult than getting off heroin. I wouldn't be surprised because Big Tobacco adds ammonia to the tobacco mix. Apparently, the ammonia gives the nicotine a "boost" so that one gets more addicted and therefore more difficult to quit.

As what antidepressants are concerned..... I believe that they fiddle with more chemical substances in our brain and body than just serotonin, dopamine and/or norepinephrine. Our brains are too intricate an orchestra.

Too bad they pulled the article. The attitude shows what kind of society we live in.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:59 AM   #36
pmflaherty

yeah, kind of weird they pulled that article. They wont respond to me except to say that it was "inapropriate content". Im sure they do have every right to pull whatever they want but its just one of those things that make ya go HMMMMM...
Elisa- "Our brains are too intricate an orchestra."
funny how they just throw darts in the dark at the most intricate orchestra when trying out these drugs. Not once did i ever have anything more than an oral evaluation with someone who prescribed me brain altering drugs, and usually they have the prescription pad ready after about a 5 minute conversation. I think the phrase "paradigm shift" is probably the understatement of the century when it comes to how we go about this entire proscess.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:32 AM   #37
ihatezaps
"Keep calm and carry on!"

Quote:
What was your article about?

Approximately 8 years Paxil 20 mg. Side effects: weight gain, personality changes, no motivation, memory loss, stomach problems, dizziness, headaches, excessive sleeping and eating, vivid dreams. Did a very slow taper, dropping 1/2 mg at a time using liquid Paxil. Paxil free as of 1/13/2007
ihatezaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:13 AM   #38
BriOnH

Quote:
yeah, kind of weird they pulled that article. They wont respond to me except to say that it was "inapropriate content". Im sure they do have every right to pull whatever they want but its just one of those things that make ya go HMMMMM...
Elisa- "Our brains are too intricate an orchestra."
funny how they just throw darts in the dark at the most intricate orchestra when trying out these drugs. Not once did i ever have anything more than an oral evaluation with someone who prescribed me brain altering drugs, and usually they have the prescription pad ready after about a 5 minute conversation. I think the phrase "paradigm shift" is probably the understatement of the century when it comes to how we go about this entire proscess.
I have a dedicated server I'll post it on for you if you still have the html and want it.
12/18/05 -- 7.5 mg
12/31/05 -- 0
1/05/06 -- back on 15 mg

www.diabuddies.com
Brian Hartigan
Old 10-23-2006, 05:11 PM   #39
bluecamel

very interesting questions. i've heard of people taking large doses of SSRIs for the rush, and end up being hospitalized for seratonin syndrome.

i used to take seroquel for sleep problems. my boyfriend had his lexapro next to my seroquel tablets, and i ended up taking a very high dose of lexapro. i didn't know until the next morning when i felt extremely wired, similiar if not stronger to taking a fat line of cocaine..except it didn't wear off. it was 'amazing' to say the least, though i'm still shocked why i didn't end up in the hospital.
No one remembers your name
bluecamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:18 PM   #40
scotty
Administrator

This is why we're seeing "pharm parties". There is a high if you take enough.. sadly it can be fatal.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote