our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Health Challenges
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health Challenges Anxiety, depression, OCD, headaches, weight and more.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 01-05-2007, 08:18 PM   #51
Katesmom

Re: Paxil and Pregnancy-Official warnings!

Welcome, Army!

I have no doubt that paxil is at fault. There is a class action law suit that is ungoing that you will no doubt qualify to be party to. Look into it. The more voices who speak out, the louder we all will be!

Thank God that your daughter is fine now!

started Paxil Oct. 2003 for PIH
Paxil free since 19 Jul 2005

". . .the cruelest lies are often told without a word. . .the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." -- Ben Folds
Katesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:38 PM   #52
Scott

sadly though the mere fact they can't prove how the drugs actually work will work against proving the drugs did any damage

What has happened to it all?
Crazy, some are saying
Where is the life that I recognize?
Gone away

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

surviving an ssri reaction
alternative anxiety treatments
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:40 AM   #53
ducktail

Alison - I'm so so sorry for your loss.

I took paxil during my last pregnancy. Bubby was fine, and although a smaller birthweight than her sister, she was a healthy weight.

Pregnancy was another thing altogether, I was extremely ill, couldn't keep anything down,bedridden for much of the time, in hospital on fluids, just plain miserable. Even if I wasn't vomiting, I was nauseous.This is in complete contrast to my first pregnancy (pre-paxil days), during which I was nauseous for the first 12 or so weeks, then fine.

I know this could all be normal,though it does make me wonder.

I breastfed baby no 2 for her first 2 years, and weaned slowly. I did watch for w/d symptoms and she appeared fine.

She was a semi-planned baby (I fell pregnant sooner than we planned), I knew I couldn't get off paxil quickly once I fell pregnant, but at that point in my life I had no information on what to do. My doctor did say it wasn't good to be on it while pregnant, but how would I have managed in w/d while pregnant? I made the decision to stay on it, mostly because it would have been impossible to get off it.

Many of us have unplanned pregnancies, what are we supposed to do?

Kelli

What is a D Class drug?
Tapering by 2.5mg every 2-3 weeks
Down to 18mg April 2006
Starting to wake up and feel again!!
Tapering by .5 to 1mg at a time
Down to 8mg Sept 2006
Down to 5mg late Nov 2006
Back up to 5.5mg late Dec 2006
Down to 3mg June 2007
Down to ZERO 16 September 2007

Stopped taking Murelax Jan 2006

Weight loss: 15kg since Sept 2006

ducktail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #54
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducktail
What is a D Class drug?
A year ago, the FDA reclassified Paxil from a Category C drug to a Category D for pregnant women. Category C is for drugs that have been shown to harm the fetus in animals. Category D means a drug has been found to harm the human fetus.

Crazy, some are saying
Gone away

Somehow I have to find
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

Old 01-10-2007, 10:23 PM   #55
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by armykoenig2003
How do I find out forsure it was Paxil that hurt my little girl. My motherly feeling tells me it was!!!
i just put a few topics on this in the news section
one
two

Crazy, some are saying
Gone away

Somehow I have to find
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

Old 06-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #56
scotty
Administrator

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/557460?src=mp

Fluoxetine HCl (Prozac) Therapy in Late Pregnancy Linked to Newborn Risk for
Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension

On March 15, the FDA approved safety labeling revisions for fluoxetine HCl
capsules/oral solution and delayed-release capsules (Prozac and Prozac
Weekly; Eli Lilly & Co) to warn of potential risks associated with both
continuation and discontinuation of fluoxetine HCl therapy during pregnancy.

Data from a retrospective case-control study of 1213 women suggest that
continued use of fluoxetine HCl and other selective serotonin reuptake
inhibitors past the 20th week of pregnancy is linked to a 6-fold increased
risk for persistent pulmonary hypertension in newborns. Persistent pulmonary
hypertension normally occurs in 1 or 2 newborns per 1000 births and often
involves severe respiratory tract failure requiring immediate treatment.

The FDA notes that although the study was too small to compare individual
drugs and the risk thus far has not been investigated by other studies, the
potential risk for persistent pulmonary hypertension adds to growing
concerns regarding use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors during
pregnancy.

Newborn adverse events previously reported in association with prenatal
exposure include irritability, difficulty feeding, and rare cases of
difficulty breathing. In addition, use of fluoxetine HCl during the first
trimester has been epidemiologically linked to an increased risk for cardiac
birth defects.

Women receiving antidepressant therapy who are pregnant or considering
becoming pregnant should consult with their healthcare professional prior to
discontinuing or continuing antidepressant therapy. Such a decision should
be made only after careful consideration of individual treatment-related
risks and benefits.

The FDA notes that patients who elect to discontinue selective serotonin
reuptake inhibitor therapy should be closely monitored for depression
relapse. According to results from a prospective longitudinal study of 201
women, those who discontinue antidepressant therapy are 5 times more likely
to have a relapse during pregnancy compared with those who continue
treatment.

Fluoxetine HCl capsules and oral solution are indicated for the treatment of
major depressive disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder,
and bulimia nervosa.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:05 PM   #57
Songbird
Queen of the appendage vocabulary

Oh my goodness! I am shocked to find out out this link to birth defects now. I can't help feeling I have had a very lucky escape.

When I had severe anxiety symptoms after my first baby was born in 2001 I went on Paxil (Aropax here) and withdrew without problems before getting pregnant again. Because of my previous problems, the psychiatrist wanted me to go back on it during pregnancy as 'a preventive', but I refused as I didn't want to take any extra unnecessary medication during pregnancy. She said it was safe to take during pregnancy. I believed her at the time (not now!) but preferred to take the cautious approach.

She also said that studies had shown it did not show up in breast milk. Because of my problems I only breastfed my first baby for about a week, but I breastfed my second baby for much longer, while on all sorts of meds for my problems (citalopram, thioridizine and midazolam). I haven't really noticed any significant health problems with my second child that might be related though, she seems pretty healthy, thank goodness (she is now four).

I am now so glad I did not take any anti-depressants during the pregnancy. What I am hearing now is so shocking...how could they have told everyone it was safe?!
Jan 07-Feb 08 20mg > 5mg Apr 4.5mg 5mg Jun 10mg Jul 20mg Oct Loxamine Dec 17.5mg 15mg
Jan 12.5mg > Dec 6.3mg
2010 Aug 6.15mg Nov 6 mg
2011 Feb 5.9mg > Dec 5.3mg
2012 19 Feb 5.2mg 14 Oct 5.1mg 6 Dec 5mg
2013 25 Jan 4.9mg 4 Jul 4.8mg 29 Aug 4.7mg 8 Oct 4.6mg 24 Nov 4.5mg 15 Dec 4.4mg
2014 18 Jan 4.3mg 31 Mar 4.2mg 12 May 4.1mg 7 Jun 4.0mg 26 Jul 3.9mg 5 Sep 3.8mg 4 Oct 3.7mg
Songbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:52 PM   #58
scotty
Administrator

New information!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/health...67229820070816

Prenatal antidepressants linked to preterm births
Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:05PM BST

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Antidepressant drug use during pregnancy, but not depression itself, is associated with an increased risk of preterm birth and lower fetal age at delivery, according to results of a study published in the American Journal of Psychiatry.

"Depressive symptoms are not uncommon during pregnancy, and...symptoms may occur more frequently during pregnancy than in the postpartum period," write Dr. Rita Suri and colleagues from the University of California, Los Angeles. Depression during pregnancy and just after delivery "has been associated with low maternal weight gain, increased frequency of cigarette, alcohol, and substance use, and ambivalence about the pregnancy."

To further investigate, the researchers examined the effects of maternal depression and antidepressant drug use on fetal age and risk of preterm birth in a study of 90 pregnant women.

The women were divided into three groups: 49 women had major depressive disorder and were treated with antidepressant medication for more than 50 percent of their pregnancy; 22 women had major depressive disorder and were briefly treated or not treated with antidepressants during pregnancy; and a comparison group of 19 healthy pregnant women.

The average fetal age at birth was 38.5, 39.4, and 39.7 weeks in the three groups, respectively. The groups also differed in the rates of preterm birth (14.3 percent, 0 percent, and 5.3 percent) and rates of admission to the special care nursery (21 percent, 9 percent, and 0 percent).

No significant between-group differences were observed in actual infant birth weights or Apgar scores.

Based on these findings, the presence of depression per se during pregnancy did not adversely affect outcomes. "This result was surprising to us, as we had anticipated that depression and anxiety during pregnancy would be associated with an increased risk of preterm birth," Suri and colleagues write.

"The two groups of women with depression -- those who were treated with antidepressants and those who were not -- had similar degrees of depression and anxiety during pregnancy," they note.

These findings suggest that antidepressant use, rather than mild-to-moderate depression, was associated with lower fetal age and an increased risk of preterm birth.

SOURCE: American Journal of Psychiatry, August 2007.

MLK
Old 10-24-2007, 08:25 PM   #59
cooperclann

Hello.... I am new at this so please bear with me.
I am looking for any information that paxil DOES cause developemental delays in children. Since my son was born 5 1/2 weeks early in 1998, my gut feeling told me that Paxil was behind it. I was told that I could not nurse him in the NICU while I was on Paxil, so I quit it cold turkey. We know of no physical birth defects with him, but he has been quite a challenge growing up, fits of rage, speech delay, delay in social skills, amongst others. He was finally diagnosed last year with anxiety disorder, ADHD and Oppositional Disorder, along with possibility of Central Auditory Processing Delay after years of being blamed as bad parents. He is very sensitive to sounds (snowflakes on a nylon jacket were too loud when he was a baby), can not handle routine change and has very limited self control. I am looking for ANY info that can help me fight for help for him. We seem to be getting no where. He is very smart, just has MANY behaviorial problems so he has been labelled a problem child in school. I was told there was a class action lawsuit filed but can not find any info on it. I want to save another family from what my son and our family has been going through. Thanks for any info.
cooperclann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:00 PM   #60
scotty
Administrator

Welcome Cooper. I'm so sorry to hear about your son. I don't have any specifics on this, but as we all know well, the effects of Paxil, and all ssri's, are poorly researched. Let me get in touch with some people and see what I can find out for you. The hypersensitive nervous system is something that we see in Paxil users, so this doesn't surprise me in a child exposed.

MLK
Old 10-24-2007, 09:07 PM   #61
ladyofthelake

cooper,

I hope some of this will be helpful. Your son's symptoms may be linked with the long term withdrawal.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-pet...n_b_57270.html

Quote:
“birth defects and various other injuries, the increased risk of lower fetal age and pre-term birth is likely linked to the mechanism causing higher rates of fetal heart and lung defects amongst babies whose mothers took SSRI's during pregnancy.”
http://www.bestsyndication.com/?q=09...th_defects.htm

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/advisor...tine200512.htm

http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/c.../full/39/14/33

http://www.persistent-pulmonary-hype...A-Warning.html

http://counsellingresource.com/featu...ing-pregnancy/

Lisa
ladyofthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #63
Katesmom

Went back and looked at that--that was a year and a half ago which was a lifetime ago as far as information about w/d is concerned. Of course, a six week taper vs. cold turkey would be preferable, but you have to realize that this was someone who was already pregnant and was going cold turkey.

Pokie, you have had a very difficult time getting off of SSRIs. I would prefer, in your case, that you taper slowly and, perhaps when you get to a place where you are stable at a lower dose, consider then trying to begin the conception process. I know that age is a factor here and waiting two or three years would be extremely detrimental to you as far as conceiving successfully.

You are going to have to look at possibly having a pregnancy where you are, at least, likely to be on a low dose of an SSRI for some part of it. As I've said, while the risks are real, they are rare. You could continue to slowly taper as you try to conceive and throughout your pregnancy. Speaking from someone a few years younger than you, believe me, just because you decide to not prevent pregnancy, doesn't mean that you will get pregnant quickly or easily. My doctor said that, on average, it takes six months of trying before a woman becomes pregnant. If you factor that in, I don't think that it is unreasonable, if you feel mentally and physically capable otherwise of being the mother of a newborn, to wait overly long to try to become pregnant.

". . .the cruelest lies are often told without a word. . .the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." -- Ben Folds
Old 10-24-2007, 10:51 PM   #64
Songbird
Queen of the appendage vocabulary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katesmom View Post
If you factor that in, I don't think that it is unreasonable, if you feel mentally and physically capable otherwise of being the mother of a newborn, to wait overly long to try to become pregnant.
Kim, I'm a bit confused by what you mean here - it's not unreasonable to wait? Do you mean wait or do you mean don't wait?
Jan 07-Feb 08 20mg > 5mg Apr 4.5mg 5mg Jun 10mg Jul 20mg Oct Loxamine Dec 17.5mg 15mg
Jan 12.5mg > Dec 6.3mg
2010 Aug 6.15mg Nov 6 mg
2011 Feb 5.9mg > Dec 5.3mg
2012 19 Feb 5.2mg 14 Oct 5.1mg 6 Dec 5mg
2013 25 Jan 4.9mg 4 Jul 4.8mg 29 Aug 4.7mg 8 Oct 4.6mg 24 Nov 4.5mg 15 Dec 4.4mg
2014 18 Jan 4.3mg 31 Mar 4.2mg 12 May 4.1mg 7 Jun 4.0mg 26 Jul 3.9mg 5 Sep 3.8mg 4 Oct 3.7mg
Songbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:42 AM   #65
Katesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird View Post
Kim, I'm a bit confused by what you mean here - it's not unreasonable to wait? Do you mean wait or do you mean don't wait?
Songbird, this is a VERY specific answer to a VERY specific member. It is not the advice I would give to just anyone. Pokie and I have discussed this via PM and I know her history and her issues. In HER case, it may be now or never with a baby. The one thing that is universal is that people have to balance all of the benefits and risks when it comes to pregnancy and SSRIs. In her case, the risk of not getting pregnant sooner than she could safely and sanely quit her SSRI could mean no baby for her. That's a big risk.

As I alluded to earlier, it is very likely that by the time she were to become pregnant, if she continues to taper, she would be much lower in dosage or off completely.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:59 PM   #66
rdjanis
"has a lavender scented keyboard"

I was going to respond to this thread this morning, but thought I should think about it first. I have thought about it and come up with the same answer. I don't think, for any reason, anyone should take the chance of having a baby while on these medications, or in withdrawal. There are situations where it cannot be helped, and god willing the child will not be born with problems. Many have been born healthy happy babies, some have not been. The ones who didn't fall into the 'lucky' category suffer horribly, and some die.

Everyone should have the option of having children. But in planning a pregnancy parents should ensure a healthy pregnancy, one cannot do that on medications. That is why the warnings are in place. I just don't get how one could make this decision knowing the risks.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:44 PM   #68
rdjanis

I'm really sorry Pokie, and I do understand what you might be feeling. I'm not in your situation, but I can imagine with all you've been through how important having a baby would be.

I'm not trying to be cruel, sometimes life is though, and I stick with my opinion that knowing that the baby could be born with problems isn't fair to the child.

Why is it right now or never? Why can you not wait until you are done with the wean? Don't answer these questions if they are too personal.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:26 AM   #70
rdjanis

Ahh, now I do understand why you feel pressured in having a child now. Life can be so difficult, sorry Pokie. You know, never give up hope, you don't know what the future holds for you. If a child in your future is meant to be, it will happen regardless of age. I know it is rare, but a mother of my daughter's friend had a bubbly baby boy at 48 years of age. He is around 5 now, healthy, happy, and driving the girls wild. Never give up on your dreams, get yourself well Pokie.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #71
Katesmom

Pokie, remember that the opinions of people here are just opinions. You can take them under advisement, but at the end of the day, you have to make your own list of pros and cons and make your own decision.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #72
rdjanis

True Kim, other than the facts section paxilprogress provides for members, all members posts are based on personal opinions and/or experience.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #73
hindsight20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperclann View Post
Hello.... I am new at this so please bear with me.
I am looking for any information that paxil DOES cause developemental delays in children. Since my son was born 5 1/2 weeks early in 1998, my gut feeling told me that Paxil was behind it. I was told that I could not nurse him in the NICU while I was on Paxil, so I quit it cold turkey. We know of no physical birth defects with him, but he has been quite a challenge growing up, fits of rage, speech delay, delay in social skills, amongst others. He was finally diagnosed last year with anxiety disorder, ADHD and Oppositional Disorder, along with possibility of Central Auditory Processing Delay after years of being blamed as bad parents. He is very sensitive to sounds (snowflakes on a nylon jacket were too loud when he was a baby), can not handle routine change and has very limited self control. I am looking for ANY info that can help me fight for help for him. We seem to be getting no where. He is very smart, just has MANY behaviorial problems so he has been labelled a problem child in school. I was told there was a class action lawsuit filed but can not find any info on it. I want to save another family from what my son and our family has been going through. Thanks for any info.
Wow. There is so much of that which describes our son. I came here looking to see if anyone had any advise from past experience. He's four and going through many of the same problems. Only they're saying he's Autistic-like but not Autistic. He has to have routines and has HIGH anxiety. He acts like his wiring is shorted. He wants to talk but has a hard time with getting the words to his mouth. He doesn't let us know when things bother him (even pain). And we're always getting reports back from preschool saying that he didn't want to participate and he whined all day. My son doesn't seem to have too many behavioral problems, but he's still thought to be a toddler, so some might be excused. And my son is extremely smart, but he hides it so that people won't think he's different.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #74
Katesmom

Hindsight, did you take paxil throughout your pregnancy?

Old 04-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #75
hindsight20

Sorry about that. Cooperclann, I started Paxil right after my first trimester. I continued it through the pregnancy and a little after it. I found out I was pregnant with my daughter and stopped taking it. She had wicked rage issues. My son has scars on his cheeks from where she tried to claw his eyes out (she was not quite two). She used to bite my son and her dolls so hard her whole body would shake. I thought maybe it had to do with her colic. We never figured out when it ended. It just seemed she went from screaming 24/7 to kicking and biting everyone. My son bore the brunt of it since he zones out and didn't defend himself. Fortunately, we have a great program over here for early intervention. We worked with them for over a year and she has calmed down a great deal. We still have problems with fits, but very little violent rage. (Except this weekend she laid my son's lip open.) But it's sad to say it, but it has been awhile, so it's progress of sorts. What we use to curb her rage is the same techniques they use on Autistic children. I know toddlers are different than older children, but you might want to check with a local Autism program and see how they deal with their older children. Giving her a place to scream until she calmed down helped. We tell her that she can scream all she wants in her room or on her bed, but she can't come out until she's done. The theapists say it gives them a chance to sort things out and learn how to self calm. With my son, over stimulation really shorts him out. So, having an hour or so after school calms him. We just let him be by himself. Sometimes (like when my mom came to visit and it was WAY to much to process), he will spend a whole day in his room. We don't make him (and have to lure him out with food), but he does just to process everything. My mom used to think we were horrible for that, then she saw what we meant. My son thrives on his quiet time. Now that he's getting older, his reactions in stores looks like a wild undisapplined kid. But we know it's over stimulation. He literally can't focus on us with everything coming at him so fast.

I really can't say enough about checking into programs like the early intervention ones. They offer all sorts of coping classes and ways to handle children when you don't want to have to medicate them. You also meet other parents that are at their wits ends too.