our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 09-26-2008, 05:27 AM   #1
Dahollow

Starting new SSRI, how long till effect?

Hello,

As mentioned in a previous post of mine, I was tappering from paxil. I had sudden premature ejaculation. I went to see the doctor and she told me it was a known symptom of withdrawel. Seems like PE has something to do with doses of serotonine as well... Well after some time the PE did disappear.

So I was ready to change to a new SSRI, being Citalopram (cipramil). I have to take this because of a serious problem with irritable bowel syndrome .

I'm on it for a week now, but it seems my bowel probs keep occuring??

Even if you were on paxil for 2 years... does it take yet another 2-4 weeks for a new SSRI to work?

Thanks in advance.
Dahollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:33 AM   #2
pax80

Re: Starting new SSRI, how long till effect?

for me the ssri's work immediately producing horrendus side effects.

I wouldn't take cipramil for IBS...

LC took paxil for that and well...she will come in to explain a bit more...
pax80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahollow View Post

I had sudden premature ejaculation. I went to see the doctor and she told me it was a known symptom of withdrawel. Seems like PE has something to do with doses of serotonine as well... Well after some time the PE did disappear.
No, PE isn't a problem of withdrawal, it's a direct side effect of the USE of the drug.

Quote:
I have to take this because of a serious problem with irritable bowel syndrome .
Cipramil use for IBS is offlabel and untested. There are many approved treatments for IBS....Celexa is not one of them. Some of the side effects of it's use related to Gastrointestinal are:

Gastrointestinal Disorders - Frequent: saliva increased, flatulence. Infrequent: gastritis, gastroenteritis, stomatitis, eructation, hemorrhoids, dysphagia, teeth grinding, gingivitis, esophagitis. Rare: colitis, gastric ulcer, cholecystitis, cholelithiasis, duodenal ulcer, gastroesophageal reflux, glossitis, jaundice, diverticulitis, rectal hemorrhage, hiccups.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:47 AM   #4
Dahollow

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
No, PE isn't a problem of withdrawal, it's a direct side effect of the USE of the drug.

Cipramil use for IBS is offlabel and untested. There are many approved treatments for IBS....Celexa is not one of them. Some of the side effects of it's use related to Gastrointestinal are:

Gastrointestinal Disorders - Frequent: saliva increased, flatulence. Infrequent: gastritis, gastroenteritis, stomatitis, eructation, hemorrhoids, dysphagia, teeth grinding, gingivitis, esophagitis. Rare: colitis, gastric ulcer, cholecystitis, cholelithiasis, duodenal ulcer, gastroesophageal reflux, glossitis, jaundice, diverticulitis, rectal hemorrhage, hiccups.
Dear Scotty,

Can you please give me some SSRI's that are really effective against IBS? Besides paxil? I've been on paxil 20mg for 2 years untill I started to poop out. More stress again, more toilet visits etc etc. Taking 30 or 40mg was not an option for me. To be honest I see those doses for ppl with serious depressions or anxiety disorders. I'm just some1 with alot of unconscious stress and IBS. And what if that 40 mg starts pooping out in about 2 years? Taking it to 60? No thanks.

You say that PE is a symptom of the use? When i was on paxil I had perfect control of my orgasm, it started when I got at 10mg daily.Could you explain more?

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
scotty
Administrator

Ssri's are not approved, or tested for IBS. What other things are you trying to control it?

MLK
Old 09-27-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
Dahollow

My doctor made her end terms about SSRI and paxil in particular.

It seems recent research has pointed out "catecholamines" as a possible origin of IBS. They interact with the smooth muscle cells in the bowels causing them to go spastic. Thus creating cramps etc.

SSRI's do work on those "catecholamines".

The point is... during the 2 years on paxil, i have never had a single day (!) with IBS. Not even when things got stressy at work or somewhere else!

Before i started paxil, i lived on a daily diet of Imodium, probiotica etc.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
scotty
Administrator

So they've offered no other option other than ssri's for "treatment"?

Read here for alot of great information on IBS. Ssri's are not the treatment of choice when diarrhea is a problem.

http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/...ro/ibs/ibs.htm

MLK
Old 09-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Welcome, Dahollow!

I took Paxil for IBS. I can promise you, the hell Paxil and Paxil w/d puts your gut through, will make IBS seem mild.

Look at it this way: Why would you take something that alters your brain chemistry, for a stomach ailment? It makes absolutely no sense.

I've learned to control my IBS through diet and exercise. I know what my triggers are and I know what I can and can't eat. I also know what to do when I do have a flare up. Once you get these things figured out, the anxiety of having to know where a bathroom is every time you go out will subside, which will make the IBS subside, which will make the anxiety subside some more....

Trust me, I'll take IBS over what Paxil did to me any day of the week. IBS was the least of my problems when trying to get off of the drug. And, don't kid yourself into thinking another SSRI wouldn't cause you the same problems. If you read this board, Paxil is far from being the only SSRI that has wreaked havoc in our member's lives.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote