our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Methods of Wellbeing
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Methods of Wellbeing A discussion on how you're managing your state of health (herbs, vitamins, acupuncture, chiropractic etc.) NO LINKING TO COMMERCIAL SITES PLEASE. Paxilprogress does not investigate nor endorse any supplement program.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 04-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
TundraMD

Theanine: Opinions Wanted.

Hi everyone,
I would like to know a few things about theanine.

Has anyone come across solid medical reserach that indicates which neurotransmitters are affected by theanine?

Also, has anyone come across medical research indicating that theanine is beneficial for people with OCD? Also is it effective for people with low serotonin that causes OCD symptoms?

What effect does theanine have on GABA, serotonin and dopamine?

Has anyone here used theanine while they were withdrawing from an SSRI? Especially if they have an existing anxiety disorder such as OCD.

Lastly, it would be so great for people to write their experiences with theanine, especially if they have an anxiety disorder involving low serotonin such as OCD.
I would be very grateful and interested in the responses!
Thankyou!
TundraMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
TryingtoGetWell

Re: Theanine: Opinions Wanted.

There have been many posts and threads here about theanine over the years! Did you try the search function? (It may be referred to as L-theanine, I can't remember. The search engine on this site is very fussy! You might want to try googling, putting site, then colon punctuation mark, then paxilprogress.org before the search term. Google is more forgiving!)

Essentially, theanine can be very relaxing and is a major component of tea, though in supplement form is stronger, of course.

Unfortunately, amino acids, even one like theanine, generally cause problems when one is in withdrawal. That can last a while and can be the case with meds (including OTC ones) and other supplements as well.

Many of us found that although we were fine on it before w/d, in w/d we usually felt better the first time we used it, then our symptoms got worse subsequent times we took it.

But everyone responds differently (especially depending on what stage of w/d or recovery you're in). If you want to try it, you might want to try just a small amount (fraction of contents of capsule, etc.) and especially on subsequent doses try it when you're going to be home and not doing anything important, in case you get paradoxical reaction of anxiety or akathisia-like symptoms or worsening of w/d or original conditions.

Doing this is advisable with any supplement taken in w/d, especially after off the medication, since some people develop hyperreactivity to substances that can last for some time after w/d.

If you do have a bad reaction to theanine, don't worry - it will go away within a couple of days or so (probably less) as it leaves your system. Be careful with some other supplements though - some have caused some long-lasting problems for a few people whose systems are very sensitive in w/d.
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg
5/17/06 - 5 mg (none 5/20)
5/21-24/06 - 2.5 mg (5/22 - none)
5/25/06 - d/cd paroxetine
Felt better than in years, then gradual WD symptoms
6/17/06 - Bolted awake in blind terror, started E-ticket ride to hell
2010 - Leaving hell for balmier climate!
(Still on my pre-paxil 0.5 mg clonazepam)
TryingtoGetWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingtoGetWell View Post
The search engine on this site is very fussy!
No it isn't, you just have to know how to use it, which is detailed here, post #6:

http://www.paxilprogress.org/forums/...ad.php?t=41799

Just hit the "search" drop down at the top of the page, go to "advanced search" type in "Theanine" and in the drop down (where it's defaulted to search entire posts) choose "search titles only" and several theanine threads will pop up.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
TryingtoGetWell

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrawford67 View Post
No it isn't, you just have to know how to use it, which is detailed here, post #6:

http://www.paxilprogress.org/forums/...ad.php?t=41799

Just hit the "search" drop down at the top of the page, go to "advanced search" type in "Theanine" and in the drop down (where it's defaulted to search entire posts) choose "search titles only" and several theanine threads will pop up.
I should have used the word "precise"!

Wasn't criticizing it (I use it a LOT) and didn't even check theanine. I just remember all the problems people had trying to find 5-HTP.
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg
Old 04-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

The key is "search titles only"

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
Songbird
Queen of the appendage vocabulary

I read good things about it so I bought some to try. I've taken it a few times when I had some anxiety but it had no noticeable effect on me so I haven't bothered taking it again. Different things work for different people though.
Jan 07-Feb 08 20mg > 5mg Apr 4.5mg 5mg Jun 10mg Jul 20mg Oct Loxamine Dec 17.5mg 15mg
Jan 12.5mg > Dec 6.3mg
2010 Aug 6.15mg Nov 6 mg
2011 Feb 5.9mg > Dec 5.3mg
2012 19 Feb 5.2mg 14 Oct 5.1mg 6 Dec 5mg
2013 25 Jan 4.9mg 4 Jul 4.8mg 29 Aug 4.7mg 8 Oct 4.6mg 24 Nov 4.5mg 15 Dec 4.4mg
2014 18 Jan 4.3mg 31 Mar 4.2mg 12 May 4.1mg 7 Jun 4.0mg 26 Jul 3.9mg 5 Sep 3.8mg 4 Oct 3.7mg
Songbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
I should have used the word "precise"!

Wasn't criticizing it (I use it a LOT) and didn't even check theanine. I just remember all the problems people had trying to find 5-HTP.
5htp is a tough one because everyone types it differently.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
TryingtoGetWell

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
5htp is a tough one because everyone types it differently.
That's a problem, but even when a post has it with a certain spelling, most of them don't come up on search here, we found.

And many posts say "l-theanine" instead of "theanine" - I haven't checked that one either to see if it comes up.

I use the search function here much more than the google option - just thought I'd mention it in case anyone has trouble with results on the tricky names of some of these supplements.
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg
Old 04-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #9
bunny88

how do you know you have low serotonin? i thought ocd was caused by too much. Ive tried it and it was relaxing. Most reports say it increases dopamine and decreases serotonin.
bunny88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:08 AM   #10
TundraMD

My understanding from the medical literature, my doctor and my psychiatrist is that low serotonin is a component of OCD. It may not be the entire cause, but it is related to the condition.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:47 AM   #11
Darkcloud
Banned

Here is a good article describding its benefits for anxiety.

It seems to work on increasing dopamine mainly. Im going to buy some today myself

http://www.brain.web-us.com/l-theani...ty_reducer.htm
Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
pboy

I was going to try this myself and after reading all the various threads on it here, decided not to because it made some feel a bit depressed (as far as I can remember anyway).
Old 04-20-2010, 07:44 AM   #13
TundraMD

Quote:
There have been many posts and threads here about theanine over the years! Did you try the search function? (It may be referred to as L-theanine, I can't remember. The search engine on this site is very fussy! You might want to try googling, putting site, then colon punctuation mark, then paxilprogress.org before the search term. Google is more forgiving!)

Essentially, theanine can be very relaxing and is a major component of tea, though in supplement form is stronger, of course.

Unfortunately, amino acids, even one like theanine, generally cause problems when one is in withdrawal. That can last a while and can be the case with meds (including OTC ones) and other supplements as well.

Many of us found that although we were fine on it before w/d, in w/d we usually felt better the first time we used it, then our symptoms got worse subsequent times we took it.

But everyone responds differently (especially depending on what stage of w/d or recovery you're in). If you want to try it, you might want to try just a small amount (fraction of contents of capsule, etc.) and especially on subsequent doses try it when you're going to be home and not doing anything important, in case you get paradoxical reaction of anxiety or akathisia-like symptoms or worsening of w/d or original conditions.

Doing this is advisable with any supplement taken in w/d, especially after off the medication, since some people develop hyperreactivity to substances that can last for some time after w/d.

If you do have a bad reaction to theanine, don't worry - it will go away within a couple of days or so (probably less) as it leaves your system. Be careful with some other supplements though - some have caused some long-lasting problems for a few people whose systems are very sensitive in w/d.
Thankyou tryingtogetwell...i just want to add that i decided to try it. i found that it didnt help me at all. it made my symptoms worse. i actually got pretty bad anxiety from it. it wasnt good for me at all.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:49 AM   #14
Jessamine

Using it in its natural form, green tea, is not likely to do any harm.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #15
TundraMD

thankyou to everyone that replied!
Old 12-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #16
Arcturus7

Quote:
But everyone responds differently (especially depending on what stage of w/d or recovery you're in). If you want to try it, you might want to try just a small amount ... in case you get paradoxical reaction of anxiety or akathisia-like symptoms or worsening of w/d or original conditions.
Hello TryingToGetWell,

I read your post with great relief and gratitude. I'd been taking large doses of theanine for three days, trying to wean myself off xanax, but paradoxically (as you put it so well), my anxiety - but actually a different feeling better described as akathisia (not just worry, uneasiness, or even panic, but more a feeling like I was going to explode with nervous tension...again thank you for just the right word!) - just got worse and worse - xanax and even alcohol (I know, not a good idea, but I was desperate) would NOT stop this horrible agitation! 48 hours after my last theanine, that horrible agitation is gone, just as you said.

It's also very interesting that you mentioned that it may start off well. It DID calm me quite noticeable in the beginning, but it caused me trouble falling into a deep sleep. I felt like I was hovering in an alpha state - calm, relaxed, but unable to fall completely asleep. Then the growing agitation with the next few doses made sleep impossible! I was wide awake and pacing the floors all night.

I could not imagine what was wrong until I went over what was different over the past few days. It was only the theanine! The very thing I had been assured would calm me down! I typed in "theanine" and "anxiety" in Google, and soon found your posting, relieved to know what was going on, despite the extreme nervousness. Man, there was no placebo effect going on here, because I thoroughly expected this stuff to put me out.

What you say about us all reacting differently is so true, too. Melatonin puts me to sleep for an hour or two and then I wake up like I'd had strong coffee. And years ago, I had my first full-blown panic attack (I realize now that it was a form of extreme akathisia) 30 minutes after taking my first and only Zoloft pill - talk about paradoxical reactions!

I sure wish medical science could analyze our individual body chemistry and give us exactly what is needed to balance us out. And something that doesn't addict or alter us, like SSRIs and benzos - I know that xanax has altered me, drained enthusiasm out of me, and addicted me physically. Without it, my blood pressure soars, even if I don't feel particularly anxious. It infuriates me that I could die without it now. That's why I had such hopes for theanine because it reportedly has a BP-lowering effect - but it turned out to be exactly what I DON'T need.

I sure understand everyone's aggravation about spending a fortune on yet ANOTHER supplement that doesn't work or actually worsens everything. Big bucks right down the toilet.

But TTGW, sincere thanks for taking the time to post the excellent advice and the relief you gave to many of us. It was a life saver for me.

Arcturus7
Arcturus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #17
TundraMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus7 View Post
Hello TryingToGetWell,

I read your post with great relief and gratitude. I'd been taking large doses of theanine for three days, trying to wean myself off xanax, but paradoxically (as you put it so well), my anxiety - but actually a different feeling better described as akathisia (not just worry, uneasiness, or even panic, but more a feeling like I was going to explode with nervous tension...again thank you for just the right word!) - just got worse and worse - xanax and even alcohol (I know, not a good idea, but I was desperate) would NOT stop this horrible agitation! 48 hours after my last theanine, that horrible agitation is gone, just as you said.

It's also very interesting that you mentioned that it may start off well. It DID calm me quite noticeable in the beginning, but it caused me trouble falling into a deep sleep. I felt like I was hovering in an alpha state - calm, relaxed, but unable to fall completely asleep. Then the growing agitation with the next few doses made sleep impossible! I was wide awake and pacing the floors all night.

I could not imagine what was wrong until I went over what was different over the past few days. It was only the theanine! The very thing I had been assured would calm me down! I typed in "theanine" and "anxiety" in Google, and soon found your posting, relieved to know what was going on, despite the extreme nervousness. Man, there was no placebo effect going on here, because I thoroughly expected this stuff to put me out.

What you say about us all reacting differently is so true, too. Melatonin puts me to sleep for an hour or two and then I wake up like I'd had strong coffee. And years ago, I had my first full-blown panic attack (I realize now that it was a form of extreme akathisia) 30 minutes after taking my first and only Zoloft pill - talk about paradoxical reactions!

I sure wish medical science could analyze our individual body chemistry and give us exactly what is needed to balance us out. And something that doesn't addict or alter us, like SSRIs and benzos - I know that xanax has altered me, drained enthusiasm out of me, and addicted me physically. Without it, my blood pressure soars, even if I don't feel particularly anxious. It infuriates me that I could die without it now. That's why I had such hopes for theanine because it reportedly has a BP-lowering effect - but it turned out to be exactly what I DON'T need.

I sure understand everyone's aggravation about spending a fortune on yet ANOTHER supplement that doesn't work or actually worsens everything. Big bucks right down the toilet.

But TTGW, sincere thanks for taking the time to post the excellent advice and the relief you gave to many of us. It was a life saver for me.

Arcturus7
Hey mate,
This is completely the set of symptoms that affected me while I was on it.
I had what you had which was the most severe akathisia, extreme restlessness and that exploding feeling, not quite panic but pretty damn close to it. It was one of the worst feelings I have ever had.
In my situation tho, instead of stopping, I actually upped the dose! I did this because I thought the akasthisia was coming from the withdrawl! Oh how little did I know.
Well you just have to be very careful with supplements. And sometimes there is no easy fix. Sometimes the cheap, free and easy things are the most effective for example:
EXERCISE
SUN
RAW DIET WITH VEGETABLES, FRUIT AND CLEAN WATER
FISH OIL
HUMAN CONTACT
SEX
Old 02-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #18
rbds22

Apparently in Japan theanine is used in a large amount of food and drinks regularly. The government deemed it safe as an additive. I find it hard to comprehend adverse reactions to it. Same goes for fish oil. I'm not saying any of you are liars, I just think that our minds are very powerful and placebo is in play for a good amount of people that claim adverse effects from low strength natural substances.

I just wonder sometimes if they ran a study on sugar pills given to people with existing anxiety problems and fish oil or theanine given to the same type of people, what the result would be. I would suspect they wouldn't find any differences between the control groups, but they would find similarities in both reporting side effects because of the groups predisposition to anxiety. Most people who have anxiety issues are similar when it comes to taking pills. Most don't like taking pills of any kind because they are apprehensive of any adverse effects. One bad experience changes the view on pills. Now it is stuck deep inside of there brain and every time it comes to taking any kind of pill they are apprehensive and very observant when they take it.

I do understand where people are coming from when they say they are sensitive to supplements, because I am one of them. There is definitely something to do with the nervous system that creates the sensitivities. I am just skeptical of some reports, that's all. Oh and the fact that a lot of people here are in withdrawal and they have dozens of symptoms that come and go all of the time, can easily be blamed on a pill they introduced.

Jan 2nd 2010 - 14mg
1 year taper
Jan 1st 2011
- PAXIL FREE !

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.
rbds22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #19
palm

""Apparently in Japan theanine is used in a large amount of food and drinks regularly. The government deemed it safe as an additive. I find it hard to comprehend adverse reactions to it. Same goes for fish oil. I'm not saying any of you are liars, I just think that our minds are very powerful and placebo is in play for a good amount of people that claim adverse effects from low strength natural substances.""

Hmm, this sounds like psychiatrists who claim our withdrawal reactions are due to our minds.

As someone who is also very sensitive to supplements, I always have a very hopeful attitude when trying something new. So I really doubt my mind is playing tricks on me.

I just think you have to be very careful with statements like that.

You're right, not everything can be blamed on a pill. I am dealing with a very tough situation that has nothing to do with psych med withdrawal or supplements.

But there are many other situations in which I suffered adverse reactions to supplements that definitely weren't something I was imagining or had anything to do with my original condition.

Palm
Old 02-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #20
rangerNY
Administrator
Wax on. Wax off.

Do not be so quick to dismiss what rbds is saying. Its certainly possible to have negative or adverse reactions to anything we put into our bodies. I don't think he or anyone else is denying that. I think we should all do our best to be as objective and critical of ourselves as possible, however, before making statements like "I took xyz and it made me anxious/depressed/foggy/etc.". Those statements may very well be true, but they may very well not. Both are possible.

In the middle of dealing with withdrawal and its mountain of different and ever changing symptoms, it can be almost impossible to pin any particular flare-up or new symptom on any given single event or substance. That holds true for improvements too, by the way. When we've fallen into the mindset of trying to micro-manage the process and the underlying chemistry/biology, we tend to be over emphasize every sensation and every change, and we tend to obsess over every step we take.

This can be very difficult topic to discuss here, because 8 out of 10 times a statement like this is viewed as an attack, or as somehow minimizing or invalidating someone's experience. I just wish someone had told me when I was in the thick of things to stop trying to find a cause for every effect. I would have saved myself lots of mental CPU cycles that I know were wasted worrying about stuff I didn't need to worry about.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #21
palm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerNY View Post
Do not be so quick to dismiss what rbds is saying. Its certainly possible to have negative or adverse reactions to anything we put into our bodies. I don't think he or anyone else is denying that. I think we should all do our best to be as objective and critical of ourselves as possible, however, before making statements like "I took xyz and it made me anxious/depressed/foggy/etc.". Those statements may very well be true, but they may very well not. Both are possible.

In the middle of dealing with withdrawal and its mountain of different and ever changing symptoms, it can be almost impossible to pin any particular flare-up or new symptom on any given single event or substance. That holds true for improvements too, by the way. When we've fallen into the mindset of trying to micro-manage the process and the underlying chemistry/biology, we tend to be over emphasize every sensation and every change, and we tend to obsess over every step we take.

This can be very difficult topic to discuss here, because 8 out of 10 times a statement like this is viewed as an attack, or as somehow minimizing or invalidating someone's experience. I just wish someone had told me when I was in the thick of things to stop trying to find a cause for every effect. I would have saved myself lots of mental CPU cycles that I know were wasted worrying about stuff I didn't need to worry about.
But Ranger, why is it always necessary to doubt people when they feel a supplement made things worse? Isn't this what this board was about because we dealt with doctors who doubted our complaints about psych meds?

I don't disagree with what you're saying. I definitely understand as the daughter of a scientist that causation doesn't equal correlation. But many times, believe it or not, people are right about something causing problems. I question whether it is really necessary to always express tough love and doubt when someone makes a claim about something particularly when supplements like amino acids are known to cause problems in WD.

But even if you have never heard of something, you can't assume the person is wrong about what they are reporting. What is so hard about giving them the benefit if the doubt? Why is it necessary for them to satisfy your objectivity standard?

And even if it does seem like they are obsessing, so what? We all don't handle things the same way and you can't assume that one way of recovering is better than another.

Maybe obsessing is the only way for someone to feel in control at that moment. As long as it isn't interfering with their general progress in recovery, what difference does it make?

By the way, I have definitely been guilty of this in thinking a supplement was miraculous only to realize I was wrong. But I am so grateful that no one challenged me and let me find out on my own that there was more to the story.

It didn't hurt my general progress in my recovery.

Again, we are all different and that should be respected.

Palm
Old 02-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #22
Arcturus7

Palm wrote: "As someone who is also very sensitive to supplements, I always have a very hopeful attitude when trying something new. So I really doubt my mind is playing tricks on me."

Thanks, Palm, that's exactly how I approached the meds I mentioned. I had heard nothing but praise for theanine, melatonin and zoloft before I tried each one, and I had great expectations each time - finally, "the cure", I thought. So if anything, my placebo effect should have brought me great relief (hey, I'd love relief even if it's "all in my head"!).

Only AFTER I'd had my severe panic attack, my doctor admitted that a substantial percentage of people (about 15%) do have paradoxical reactions to zoloft. I had taken the pill fully expecting to feel great!

Unbeknownst to me, a colleague had tried melatonin and described the same waking effect that I had already had, much to my amazement.

When my recent akathisia was growing worse and worse, I did not even suspect the theanine - I just kept taking more to try to alleviate the akathisia and insomnia, just like Tundra had done. It wasn't until I'd tried several search combinations (and "theanine" was the last) and found this site and thread that I even suspected it.

Yes, "placebo effect" is a real phenomenon, but it arises out of a person's anticipations - expectations or fears. When you're anticipating great results, but instead you end up pacing a trench in the floor and clawing the wallpaper, while still faithfully taking the stuff you believe will stop this (but is instead causing it)...c'mon, that's not placebo effect.

I recently read a book in which the author claimed that almost all medicinal effects were "placebo". So if I give someone a strong diphenhydramine pill, but tell them it's a caffeine pill, they won't get sleepy? If I slip some cyanide into someone's soup, but they don't know it, it won't affect them? I threw the book in the trash.

We each have somewhat different biochemistry, different sensitivities, different allergies. And when we react to a substance quite oppositely from our genuine expectations, that's not placebo effect.
Arcturus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #23
Jessamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by palm View Post
But Ranger, why is it always necessary to doubt people when they feel a supplement made things worse? Isn't this what this board was about because we dealt with doctors who doubted our complaints about psych meds?

I don't disagree with what you're saying. I definitely understand as the daughter of a scientist that causation doesn't equal correlation. But many times, believe it or not, people are right about something causing problems. I question whether it is really necessary to always express tough love and doubt when someone makes a claim about something particularly when supplements like amino acids are known to cause problems in WD.

But even if you have never heard of something, you can't assume the person is wrong about what they are reporting. What is so hard about giving them the benefit if the doubt? Why is it necessary for them to satisfy your objectivity standard?

And even if it does seem like they are obsessing, so what? We all don't handle things the same way and you can't assume that one way of recovering is better than another.

Maybe obsessing is the only way for someone to feel in control at that moment. As long as it isn't interfering with their general progress in recovery, what difference does it make?

By the way, I have definitely been guilty of this in thinking a supplement was miraculous only to realize I was wrong. But I am so grateful that no one challenged me and let me find out on my own that there was more to the story.

It didn't hurt my general progress in my recovery.

Again, we are all different and that should be respected.

Palm
I'm in full agreement with you, Palm. I took a supplement knowing that it would be helpful, based on a documented deficiency. A week later, I was much, much worse. I was very surprised when I asked myself, "What did I do differently in the past week?", and discovered that the supplement that had been recommended by my physician was causing my throat to close. I'm so glad I asked myself the common-sense question! It seems absurd to think that we should be afraid to question why we are suddenly feeling worse.

How I wish, when I was 'in the thick of things' from SSRI drugs, I had thought to ask some questions about cause and effect. I might have saved myself from the problems I've had over the past few years if I had asked the right questions years ago. Our doctors need to be asking some logical questions, too! Such as, "Why is this patient (who just quit taking a miracle drug which has no withdrawals), having withdrawals?"

We tend to see other people's withdrawal problems from our own perspective, based on our own experience, but not everyone is obsessing over every vitamin they take or food they swallow. And not everybody can blame all their withdrawal problems on anxiety.

When something like theanine is isolated from the whole food source, is it still a completely safe "natural substance"? Read up on theanine --- it affects brain chemistry. So it seems logical that there's a potential for problems during withdrawal.

What is safe for the general population might be hard for someone in withdrawal to handle.

I don't agree that we must be objective and critical of ourselves all the time, Ranger, about blaming worsening symptoms on supplements or exercise or whatever. What's the purpose of that? Give yourself a break! It's reasonable to ask some questions before trying a new supplement, but if a food or supplement makes you sick, just quit taking it and see what happens. If you feel better after you quit, don't worry about whether it was caused by anxiety. If intense exercise worsens your symptoms, as it does for many, back off a little bit. Trust yourself. Most of us don't have extreme OCD, and won't back ourselves into a corner by trusting ourselves to some extent.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #24
rangerNY
Administrator
Wax on. Wax off.

Last edited by rangerNY : 02-12-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: rbds said it better in the next post!
rangerNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #25
rbds22

I know all about doubt from md's, neurologists, psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, family and so on. It has enormously effected me and my condition of stress and I never want to be compared to any type of ignorant doctors. Chemical medication designed to interfere with your neurotransmitters and force itself through your blood brain barrier is another story. My initial thought was how can something as simple as eating a chunk of fish or drinking a few cups of decaf tea cause adverse reactions. Again as I stated before, I don't doubt that it could, but the percentage of people experiencing any problems with this would be so minimal that not many would ever hear of this. Yet I do hear this mentioned a lot on this site. I have even had really bad days after I ate a chunk of salmon for lunch or drank a couple cups of decaf tea, but I still can't be sure if it was because of what I ingested. Simply because I have felt those problems before without eating or drinking the above mentioned.

Ranger did say that most of the time people would take this as an attack against someone elses situation. I think he was right, judging on the replies that were posted. Although I know where everyone else is coming from because Ranger does have a way of challenging subjects or could I say...tough love. He has even riled me up a few times on some comments, but I am getting better at taking everyone's comments as opinions, and that's it. I think most of the time people have good intentions but comments can be easily interpreted as an opposition which then leads to anger. There will always be disagreements and ya know what, that's ok. Every person on this earth is different.

I hope my comments weren't to harsh either. I was simply introducing a topic of thought. Try not to view it as a comment of segregation but a comment of thinking outside the box. We are all on the same boat, but maybe on a different deck.

Jan 2nd 2010 - 14mg
1 year taper
Jan 1st 2011
- PAXIL FREE !

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.
rbds22 is offline   Reply With Quote