our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Spirit
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spirit Rejuvenate. Celebrate. Grow. You are the miracle and the creator in your experience. Freedom, is in YOU.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 11-02-2007, 01:05 PM   #251
seahorse18

Re: The 'Secret'

Okay, I really believe that it is important to be as positive as possible in life. However, imo, "The Secret" is no secret. The only "secret" is that it is making tons of money for someone. Sorry to be so cynical (normally, I appreciate these ideas, "New Age" or not), but this idea has been around for many, many years. It is a rehash of a lot of other authors.

I was going to check it out, but my best friend recently saw it and it was so disturbing to her that I will not be seeing it. She said that, according to the film, the Holocaust was caused by the Jews themselves(because of so-called negative thinking). What kind of message is that? It is the same old nonsense that I have heard some heartless people say - that cancer is a result of negative thinking, that the cancer patient someone brought it on themselves. A very big NO THANK YOU to this one.
seahorse18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #252
nicemom

That is simply not true that those messages are given. You can find something negative in anything if you look for it hard enough. The DVD is not saying it is a 'secret' in fact it says that many people throughout the years have used the 'positive attracts positive'. The Secret is simply another way of enhancing positive in your life just like reading positive material. Sometimes, especially in w/d, we need all the positive in our lives we can get and I know for me it is always uplifting to watch it just as I use other things to help lift my spirits.

Its ok if your not interested.
From 15mg-0 May/June 06 (before finding PP)
Protracted w/d from c/t.

First 10 mths up and down but tolerable.
Akathesia hit at 11 months. Many months of terrible mental and physical torture.
3/09 started Prozac but too stimulating. Currently on 15mg Lexapro and feeling so much better.

Not all who waunder are lost.
nicemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #253
Ariella

Opinions of mine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorse18 View Post
Okay, I really believe that it is important to be as positive as possible in life. However, imo, "The Secret" is no secret. The only "secret" is that it is making tons of money for someone. Sorry to be so cynical (normally, I appreciate these ideas, "New Age" or not), but this idea has been around for many, many years. It is a rehash of a lot of other authors.
Short Answer : The Secret means Law of Attraction, and it's been known a looooooong time and the movie/book begins saying how old it is and is littered with quotes from people long gone. Bounty attracts Bounty and more things that cause you to feel bounteous. Love attracts love and more things that cause you to feel loving and loved. Ill thought attracts ill thought and more things that cause you to feel ill. Gratitude attracts gratitude and things that cause you more feelings of gratitude. Who you are today is a reflection of who you were choosing to be yesterday. You have literally attracted yourself to yourself. That means just deciding who to be right now, creates the experience of being in the next moment, which includes person with big car, person with debt, person with loving spouse, person who explores old information in a different presentational format because context is everything etc.

Longer classical-Darcy answer:

It's no Secret that the Secret is old. Even Jesus said that these things and more you shall also do, which was in reference to miracles. He meant that literally: you will manifest your own miracles, but you first have to believe me that you can, as I do (I am the way, follow me). It just wasn't always common knowledge. People weren't allowed to do self-study until after the dark ages anyway. Religious dogma kept people ignorant. Literacy was intentionally restricted. Eventually dogma lost power, governance went down, and independence went up (folks like Leonardo Da Vinci were born as a result, another manifestation of the global consciousness that we CAN be genius and creative on our own). The opportunity that exists with today's awareness building of the Secret is that it's become fully accessible to every single person on the planet through print, sound, video, and word of mouth.

The Secret is meant to self-deprecate into no longer being a secret. This takes resources to disseminate the information within a time period that a corporeal source can observe (ultimately we'll ALL wake up on our own eventually, even if not in this lifetime). Through the effort of accelerating work, I believe the parties involved should be compensated. It has value. It's important. The universe likes speed. Naturally like you said it's available elsewhere (look *cough* within *cough*) and you're welcome to buy and read the history of books written and/or do daily meditations that collectively add up to being the same information, but man is that The Secret production ever tight, condensed and affordable!

Most of today's new spirituality is old spirituality. That's not a detriment. It's a celebration that wisdom is already there for us to tap into. We just have to stop letting us be distracted by chasing after the gas pump, being a consumer, watching American Idol, listening to clergyfolk tell you that you need to be dependent on them to touch the creator etc.

You won't hear a church complain that its 2k+ old content is still being shared as if it was new and relevant. It's always trying to find new ways to say the same old thing again and again. Old is good. It encourages us to look at our most fundamental beliefs, because new beliefs don't have the luxury of being well rooted, and therefore lack a sense of connection. Connection invites us to dig deep, and that is a pleasurable experience in human life.

Masters celebrate repetition because it also means yet another opportunity exists for one to examine one's beliefs and make sure they remain a true reflection of who we choose to be. If not, then a wonderful opportunity for change is presented.

The Secret (movie) does not say that the Holocaust was caused by the Jews. It doesn't mention the event at all. (Does the book? I don't know.) It says that HUMANITY creates its own misery through its own frequency of thinking ill thoughts. The Holocaust required a LOT of people to think ill thoughts to kill the number of people it did. This includes the guards, the cooks, the laundry people, the floor scrubbers, and on and on of all people who followed Hitler. Hitler had ZERO power without followers. The power he had was given by proxy via submission, which manifested as agreeing with his ill thoughts. If you're going to use group logic, you have to expand the size of your definition of group. There are individual creations and group creations, and humanity's group creation leads to impact much quicker because there are so many more people infusing vibrational energy into the process. Yet, its group creation is impossible without the multitude of individual creations, so each individual person is definitely empowered to affect change on their own, if on a smaller scale at first. Hitler's thing was a large enough scale and happened quick enough to reveal it was a group-consciousness sized result.

The Holocaust, like all murderous efforts, depend(s) on popular beliefs that humanity still holds: right/wrong exists, better exists, we are separate, I am not whole unto myself, etc.

Humanity learned little from the Holocaust. Our leaders still believe killing others solves problems, because of the fundamental belief that there are "others". Humanity is not an other. It is you. It is me. It is us. It is ONE thing. All problems should be solved at the level of what helps humanity, not what helps one particular country or political figure.

More people have died from tobacco use or prescription medications than the Holocaust (and in addition to, sadly) because of the core beliefs humanity holds about itself. It still hasn't decided what it's worth below the level of brain-obsessed identification. It hasn't gone to its soul for meaning. It's still just thinking about it and keeping it shallow. It still hasn't decided that it is life, and dodges the exploration of unity by referring to itself as lives and any number of nationalisms, colors, genders, clubs, religions, continents, employment, victimizations, etc.

Cancer is a phenomena humanity has created and perpetuated through fossil fuels, food additives, tobacco, eating burnt food, chemical manufacturing, health care too expensive to use regularly, pesticides, you name it.

The funny thing is that believing humanity is not the cause of its experience makes it think it's not the cause of its experience. This of course brings it the experience that it is not the cause of its experience, and the cycle perpetuates. (The Secret talks about this using the "focusing on your bills creates more bills" analogy.) So if you really want to know to what degree you are the cause of your experience, you have to first let go of the belief that you don't already know. Let it happen.

Plato taught that there is no new knowledge to learn and there is only timeless awareness to bring forth. This is the exact same truth the new spirituality of our period is sharing but using new vocabulary relevant to the time period. Does this make the sharing of old truth pointless? Heck no. We need to be able to review all past truths using today's perspectives and languages because we are different people, and therefore have different filters to work through.

The Secret invites you to have FUN benefiting from this truth! Have fun manifesting! You're doing it anyway. You may as well get a kick out of it. The Secret suggests several ways how.
10mg September 2000 / 5mg October 2000 / FREE November 2000
Intense Withdrawal symptoms well into 2001
Withdrawal symptoms freedom by 2002
Ariella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #254
Amaya's Nana
An "A bucket" gal!

Darcy - your post made me smile!

a/k/a Lisa
PAXIL FREE AS OF 3/18/06! Fully recovered!

Focus your attention on the here and now. Recognize it for what it is: the one moment of the only life you will ever have that you truly possess. Rare is the individual who has come to completely accept that the past is no more than a memory and the future an assumption about unborn events.
Amaya's Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #255
Ariella

Cool.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:57 AM   #256
LarryJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyb View Post

Plato taught that there is no new knowledge to learn and there is only timeless awareness to bring forth.

I think that pretty much sums things up!

Thanks for the great post Darcy.
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #257
Samalabear

Oprah had another show regarding this last night. It was great. I think I'm at a point in my recovery where I can start working on this. In watching the show I realized how deep this whole premise is. It's not just wishing. It's everything. It's your thinking, what you tell yourself. Writing a list and then putting it aside, not dwelling on it, etc. So much good information. And it was amazing watching how people's lives had been transformed by this.
Louise Hay was on, who wrote You Can Heal Your Life. I was fascinated by her because she became successful at the age of 50 when she wrote this book.

The show talked about grasping and how damaging this is to your thinking and subsequently what you attract. I've been this way a lot during WD and to a large extent pre-Paxil. The anxiety and depression post-Paxil have been so long-term and so horrendous that they make me feel like I'm drowning and therefore I'm grasping. It's a feeling of horrible desperation.

I went to retreat yesterday for Lent and much of what you hear in The Secret was cited there. How you think, how you feel, how you react -- how it affects you.

I did start my gratitude journal this morning
Switched Paxil CR 2004
CR 2005 recalled
Switch generic Paroxotine
2003 start poop-out
April 21, 2006 CT
Off Paxil since April 21, 2006
ADVICE: NEVER CT

Am I better? I got through the worst of worst in three years. Still living with the damage, financial, creative and otherwise, that Paxil left me with.
Samalabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #258
nicemom

Something made me start thinking about this again and today I pulled out my DVD and watched it. Its been many months since I watched it last and it has rejuvinated me again! I have gotten so far off course its not even funny. I remember practicing this and how I watched the most wonderful things happen for me.

Today I start fresh again.

I highly recommend if you have not see it that you watch it and feel the inspiration happen as you practice it. Or you can get the book. You can get it online or the library, etc. If you have it, dig it out and watch it again.

What made me think about it again was a preview I saw when I went to a movie recently. There is a continuation of The Secret coming out in the near future. I really look forward to seeing it.
From 15mg-0 May/June 06 (before finding PP)
Protracted w/d from c/t.

First 10 mths up and down but tolerable.
Akathesia hit at 11 months. Many months of terrible mental and physical torture.
3/09 started Prozac but too stimulating. Currently on 15mg Lexapro and feeling so much better.

Not all who waunder are lost.
nicemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #259
Ariella

Yep, it's really awesome, and I found something that goes many steps further. Have a look at the book "Happier Than God" by Neale Walsch. It appreciates The Secret, and adds more to the creative delight of manifesting!
Old 01-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #260
dave

A great piece of writing Darcy inspirational! For my own part, my own journey through Paxil has been one of learning to let go. As a result small miracle follows miracle. These grow until a whole new live of potential opens up, where many things you never thought possible become manifest.

I have never lived a fuller free- er life. Yes i now have Ocd and sometimes fall, but slowly i learn and grow from what i have overcome.

And yes what ever you hold in your consciousness you get more of, if only at a simple level because you are aware of it!
Victory is often a thing deferred, and rarely at the summit of courage.... what is at the summit of courage, I think, is freedom.The freedom that comes with the knowledge that no earthly power can break you.

Paula Giddings

www.oriahmountaindreamer.com
'The Invitation' enjoy this great piece of writing.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #262
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

It's an old link and probably doesn't work anymore. You can probably Google it and find a different one.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #263
scotslass
Monkey Shooter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyb View Post
Yep, it's really awesome, and I found something that goes many steps further. Have a look at the book "Happier Than God" by Neale Walsch. It appreciates The Secret, and adds more to the creative delight of manifesting!
I've read this book Darcy,plus all his other books.His 'Conversations with God' books are life-changing,(at least they were for me!)
back up to 8mgs,little relief from anxiety and depression
Nov23,up to 10mgs,hoping to stabilise here for a while
March 18/10 dropped to 91/2 mgs
April 17/10 dropped to 9mgs
May 16/10 81/2
june 17/10 8mgs
July 8/10 7.5mgs
Aug 12/10 7mgs
Sep 25/10 6.5mgs
Dec 27/10 6 mgs
April 3/11 5.5 mgs
scotslass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #264
julieannboo

apologies to bump this old thread. i starting reading this last year and i have the dvd.
i am going to start reading it again as i will start tapering shortly.

it is basically positive thinking - we all need that in our lives and we sometimes forget to think positive.

i know 'the secret' has been criticised but if it helps, it helps.
30mg - October 1999
20mg - October 2002 - July 2011
20mg to 10mg - July 2011 - March 2012 (10% taper)
CRASHED when i got to 5.2mg
Back on 10mg - August 2012
Staying on 10mg - for the time being.
Pleased i am on half my original dose.
julieannboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #265
Ariella

The Secret is not about positive thinking. It's about thinking, and how ALL thoughts are creative. It teaches to move towards what you want instead of away from what you don't want.

It's not meant to help, but empower; to make you realize your creative power and that the outside world reflects your inside world.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #266
Pat Shields
Ms. Pee Pee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariella View Post
The Secret is not about positive thinking. It's about thinking, and how ALL thoughts are creative. It teaches to move towards what you want instead of away from what you don't want.

It's not meant to help, but empower; to make you realize your creative power and that the outside world reflects your inside world.
Then, as I have asked on another thread, why, oh why, am I manifesting guinea pigs? That's only a half-joking question; I never thought of them before, but now I have one and someone asked if I wanted one.

Other than that, there is a great deal of merit in moving toward what you want instead of away from what you don't want. I didn't want to be poverty-stricken, so I got jobs. Yet I had a lot of really sucky jobs. One day I realized why this was so; it was because I had applied for them! I should have been moving toward the jobs I wanted and applying for them! Instead of moving away from poverty, I should have been moving toward a satisfying career. If I had done that, the moving away from poverty would have taken care of itself, and I would have been a lot happier.
Pat Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #267
chiropteran

One of your guinea pigs will be a rogue alien genius in rodent form, who will bring about world peace and solve the planet's environmental and food issues by instituting an alfalfa-growing world commune
ENOUGH!
Jun10-Feb11: 80-60mg, 5-12% 6wkly
Feb-Jul11: 60-50, 5% 6wkly
Jul11-Mar12: 50-20, 10% 6wkly
Hold at 20 for winter...
Aug-Dec12: 18-9.5, 10% 4wkly
Jan-Jun13: 8.6-3.7, 10% 4wkly
Jul-Dec13: 3.3-1.5, 10% 4wkly (1 bigger drop to 1.5)
23 Jan 2014 : 1mg
chiropteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #268
chantingjo

wow this is such an interesting thread! I am a buddhist and our core belief is that our environment is a reflection of us and we can transform ourselves on the inside and thus transform our environments (and i have had tremendous proof of this).
So the ideas in the secret are not new as plenty of other people have said!.and i think i have read that christianity actually started out as saying that God was within us as opposed to some external being (but i am a bit vague on this and need to read up on it!)
i suppose there are lots of different ways to the same end goal ie inner transformation - interesting stuff
21st Sept - 14mg
30th Oct 13mg
5th Dec - 12mg
1st Feb 12 - 11mg
2nd Mar 10 mg
28th April - 9 mg
27th May - 8
29th July - 7.2
16th Oct 7
23rd Oct - 6.8
15th Nov - 6.6
24th Dec - 6.4
10th Feb - 6
9th June - 5.8
25th oct - 5.6
25th nov - 5.4
27 dec - 5.2
22 jan 5
3 apr 4.8
24 may 4.6
22 jun 4.4
06 Jul 4
03 jul 3.6
22 sep 3.4
13 oct 3.2
6 nov 3
chantingjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #269
chantingjo

just read this quote about the book you recommended ariella (or is it darcy - i get confused!)

"He also indicates that the law of attraction works most effectively and creates greater happiness when you focus first on helping others and then on yourself. "

This is exactly what we say in buddhism! it is all about helping others to increase your own happiness, i find my happiness increases so much when i encourage others
21st Sept - 14mg
30th Oct 13mg
5th Dec - 12mg
1st Feb 12 - 11mg
2nd Mar 10 mg
28th April - 9 mg
27th May - 8
29th July - 7.2
16th Oct 7
23rd Oct - 6.8
15th Nov - 6.6
24th Dec - 6.4