our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 03-13-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
violetharmon

Trouble Reading?

I don't know if this has been asked before, but I didn't see it posted anywhere. I've been off Paxil for about four months now and it is going really well. That isn't what I wanted to discuss. I was wondering if anyone who has gone off of it has had trouble reading? My mind seems to go kind of haywire when I try to concentrate my attention on enjoying a book. I am an avid reader and it has become so stressful that I'm at the point where I don't even bother to read anymore. I was hoping to get some feedback on this, see if anyone else had had a similar issue and what I could do to help the situation and if it is something that improves over time. Any feedback is appreciated, thank you!
violetharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
TryingtoGetWell

Re: Trouble Reading?

This has come up in a number of threads over the years. Here's one:
https://www.paxilprogress.org/forums...ad.php?t=36908

You can probably find more using the search function here. Click "Search" on the light green bar above. There have also been similar threads about setbacks re creativity in various aspects; the med itself or the healing process afterward sometimes causes problems in some of us with reading, musical ability, and other skills that can last a while.
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg
5/17/06 - 5 mg (none 5/20)
5/21-24/06 - 2.5 mg (5/22 - none)
5/25/06 - d/cd paroxetine
Felt better than in years, then gradual WD symptoms
6/17/06 - Bolted awake in blind terror, started E-ticket ride to hell
2010 - Leaving hell for balmier climate!
(Still on my pre-paxil 0.5 mg clonazepam)
TryingtoGetWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
violetharmon

Thank you very much.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #4
TryingtoGetWell

You're welcome!
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg
5/17/06 - 5 mg (none 5/20)
5/21-24/06 - 2.5 mg (5/22 - none)
5/25/06 - d/cd paroxetine
Felt better than in years, then gradual WD symptoms
6/17/06 - Bolted awake in blind terror, started E-ticket ride to hell
2010 - Leaving hell for balmier climate!
(Still on my pre-paxil 0.5 mg clonazepam)
TryingtoGetWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
jheaney1

For me, it was like flipping a switch. I stopped reading several years ago. When I was able to stop taking Paxil, I started reading, even writing short stories. When I was forced to start taking Paxil again, it all stopped again. I'm confident that I'll get back to it when I've been able to taper to a lower dose.
8-2011: 20mg
9-2011: 15mg
10-2011: 10mg
11-2011: 0mg
1-2012: (crash) 10mg
4-24-12: 9mg
6-11-12: 8.1mg
7-26-12: 7.5mg
9-24-12: 6.8mg
11-11-12: 6mg
2-14-13: 5mg
7-21-13 4.5mg
jheaney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
PaxilDream

I am actually the exact opposite. My mind wondered pre paxil but on paxil and even during poop out I could read, focus, and retain information like I always dreamed of. It seemed to work like a performance enhancing drug in that aspect for me and like any unnatural synthetic I am now paying the price for using. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
PaxilDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Brassmonkey

I'm still tapering but have a hard time making it through some of the long posts people write here. Sitting down with a book is no problem.

1994 started 20mg Paxil,1999 30mg,2005 40mg
2010 pooped out
09/2011 CTed from 15oz vodka a night
09/2011 dropped to 36mg
06/2012 dropped to 19mg (past halfway point)
01/2013 dropped to 11.1mg
03/2013 dropped to 10.0mg
01/2014 dropped to 5.4mg
02/2014 dropped to 4.9mg
03/2014 dropped to 4.4mg

"Find a place inside where there is joy, and that joy will burn out the darkness." Joseph Campbell
Brassmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
violetharmon

When I was on Paxil I had no trouble reading, but going off of it has caused the trouble it seems. I read a lot of stuff on my computer or Kindle, and the screen is always way too bright, so I turn it down and then the dimness gives me a headache. And floaters are a problem as well. But the biggest problem is I can't seem to concentrate. I'll read a paragraph and then have to go back a page to re-read exactly how a certain sentence was written because I can't remember. Not that the composition of the sentence matters, I retained the gist of it, I just need to know exactly how it was written. And then I'll forget again after I've re-read it and have to go back. Or I'll feel like when I'm reading a description that if I don't visualize it I won't retain the memory of it and that begins to stress me out and then I'll feel really overwhelmed, trying to visualize this. It sucks because I absolutely love reading. If I start to get too overwhelmed I'll try to calm myself down, close my eyes and take deep breaths, but it is so much drama for something that I used to find so effortless and enjoy so much. It seems like something else that Paxil has taken away from me. But I'm going to keep at this and not give up and hopefully it will improve. It already has some, just not as much as I'd like. Thank you for taking the time to reply to this!
Old 03-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
SGramer

After paxil pooped out on me and the W/D symptoms started my concentration and cognition skills have been destroyed.
SGramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
violetharmon

I know exactly what you mean. That has been improving minimally, I haven't been off Paxil that long, so hopefully my brain just needs more time to heal.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
SGramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetharmon View Post
I know exactly what you mean. That has been improving minimally, I haven't been off Paxil that long, so hopefully my brain just needs more time to heal.
How was your reading through the tapper ?
And do you mean it got worse after you were completely off, and has slowly improved ?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:46 AM   #12
violetharmon

I didn't really taper. My doctor had suggested I cut my dosage in half for two weeks and then after those two weeks stop completely. I did that against the advice of the people on this board and I gave up smoking at the same time. My memory during this reckless, insane, miserable, not at all recommended "taper" is pretty sketchy but I do remember finishing at least one short story collection. At any rate I didn't notice it until after I had been completely off the Paxil and it has been slowly improving over the past few weeks.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
SGramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetharmon View Post
I didn't really taper. My doctor had suggested I cut my dosage in half for two weeks and then after those two weeks stop completely. I did that against the advice of the people on this board and I gave up smoking at the same time. My memory during this reckless, insane, miserable, not at all recommended "taper" is pretty sketchy but I do remember finishing at least one short story collection. At any rate I didn't notice it until after I had been completely off the Paxil and it has been slowly improving over the past few weeks.
Wow, that is basically cold turkey. No wonder you had such a bumpy road. That is very promising you are seeing improvement this soon.
2mg Colozapam
Seroqel 50mg Jan- mid Feb, and 100mg since then.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #14
PaxilDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGramer View Post
Wow, that is basically cold turkey. No wonder you had such a bumpy road. That is very promising you are seeing improvement this soon.
That is very good. I went 40 days in the beginning with only 2 and a half pills and there was NO improvement! It was the hardest 40 days of my life. I then went on a fast wean after that of about 2 and a half months and that was hard. To go back in the past I would have weaned no less than a year. I just couldn't for the life of me believe that I would be one of the ones that couldn't just stop it. I felt like a let down but that couldn't be futher from the truth. I am very happy for anyone that gets well fast but for sure know people weren't exagerating how long these drugs can take to get off.

As for reading I'm hoping to work on my concentration and get it back like I was when I was on paxil. I did have such good calm attitude and concentration whent he drug worked but I will never go back on an SSRI for something hard work can replace.
PaxilDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
Chrissy

I definitely had trouble reading, I couldn't focus on words let alone read them initially. Then when could focus, I couldn't remember what I'd just read, constantly had to re-read things. In the end I just gave up and accepted it as part of my withdrawal experience. It does improve but takes time, I am reading a lot better now, 2 years since quitting the drug, but I still have the memory issue, some things stick in my memory but most don't.

Cold Turkey April 2010 (Doc's Advice)
Severe Adverse Reaction going C/T

Originally suffered horrendous physical, psychological effects. Too many to list.

Still suffering no emotions whatsoever, (good or bad), taste, smell, hearing, touch disturbances, pssd, numbness, inability to feel tired, hungry or thirsty, memory, concentration issues, blocked ears and more.
Chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #16
violetharmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
I definitely had trouble reading, I couldn't focus on words let alone read them initially. Then when could focus, I couldn't remember what I'd just read, constantly had to re-read things. In the end I just gave up and accepted it as part of my withdrawal experience. It does improve but takes time, I am reading a lot better now, 2 years since quitting the drug, but I still have the memory issue, some things stick in my memory but most don't.
Yes, you described it perfectly. It's just very frustrating realizing that I'm only 50 pages into a novel after reading it for a say, a week, when before all of this I would have been able to finish it in three days. I do feel positive about the improvements I've seen so far, so I'm going to stay positive and try to be patient. Thanks everyone for all of your feedback, it definitely made me feel a lot better!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #17
aberdeen

I just have no desire to read. I have anhedonia and everything I used to enjoy feels boring. It really sucks! I'm normally a big reader.

2005-2010 Effexor XR 112.5mg-262.5mg for PPD
June-Dec 2010 Poop-out (crash)
3 month cross taper off Effexor onto 40mg Cipralex, switched to 20mg Celexa, switched to 20mg Paxil
Nothing helped except waiting 7 months to stabilize on Paxil then starting to taper:
Oct'11 to Nov '12 20mg-10mg
March'13 to Feb'14 9mg -4mg
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
aberdeen is offline   Reply With Quote