our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 04-11-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
sheacarney

There's a "spot" on my right frontal lobe.

Sounds a bit like "there's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza." More like a hole in my head.

I went to my neurologist today, to get the results of an MRI, and it appears there is a "spot" on my right frontal lobe. The doctor told me not to get too alarmed about this. He says it's probably a migrane spot, but has ordered a second MRI because he's uncertain. He knows about my struggle, with Paxil and Xanax, and DOES believe it's possible the "spot" could be tied into the protracted withdrawal. It's 5mm long/wide, so it's small, but I don't think it's a coincidence that it's in the frontal lobes. Dr. Glenmullen compares the effects of SSRIs, on the brain, to that of coccain, which he says most adequately mimics the action of SSRIs, on brain function. According to doctor Glenmullen, coccain constricts blood flow to the frontal lobes, as does SSRIs. I wonder exactly what that spot represents? The neurologist wants to do a PetScan, to check out the metabolic activity of my brain. Should be interesting.

I also asked him why the seemingly arbitrary 1 year time frame is quoted as the amount of time it takes for the brain to reset or heal. He said this is based on hard evidence, wherein, when the brain has suffered an injury, be it chemical or physical, it takes that long for the neural network to re-establish itself or re-grow. He said a year is the "opptimistic expectation." In reality, he stated 18 months was more accurate (Scott's link). By the way, I didn't prompt him with that number; that came directly from him. He said he always tells patients, with brain injury "you are far better off breaking a bone; it will heal in six weeks." Not so, with the brain.

Sincerely,
Shea

Drug free since April 12th, 2005
sheacarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:16 PM   #2
Carola

Re: There's a "spot" on my right frontal lobe.

I'm sorry to hear about this "spot", Shea. Let's pray that it is nothing and don't get too worried about it. I know that this is easier said than done, but anyways, the only thing you can do, is try to relax and wait. I'm sure you're gonna have many, many people praying for you and sending you good energy.

Carola
Old 04-11-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
angels

Shea,
I've been munging around on the web for a little while and I have found this one year period in several places as well as the cocaine reference.

A question. In The Edge Effect in the back which shows the images of brain scans, Dr. Braverman says, "The most reliable test of brain function is the Brain Activity Map." This was developed at Harvard in the 80s and measures the electrical activity of the brain - voltage, speed, rhythm, and synchrony.

Just curious, what does your neurologist think of this test and does he/she use it?

There is more than lies within those shiny brochures in the a pharma reps' trunk.Sometimes you have to look beyond the marketing machine to get the facts. Laurie Yorke
angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:40 PM   #4
Caroline49

Shea, try not to panic. I have never had an MRI. Right now if I had one it would probably show some abnormalities. The way our brains zap around, the dizzy spells, the lost thoughts, the vivid dreams....If the truth be known, all of us paxil users have probably got some new cracks and spots on our brains from this lovely drug.
Keep us posted, please.
You will stay in my thoughts and prayers.
And we should call every truth false
which was not accompanied by at least one laugh.

Nietzsche
Caroline49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
rdjanis
"has a lavender scented keyboard"

Shea, sorry to hear this. Try not to be frightened. My nephew, years ago went for testing because of headaches, he to has a spot. They check it every couple years, and he is fine. Life can be so difficult at times, but you will get through this.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:14 PM   #6
sheacarney

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling pretty crappy about everything I've been through and what lies ahead. Thanks for the kind words.

Angels, I believe the Pet or SPECScan I'm set to have is similar to what Dr. Braverman uses to assess brain activity. My neurologist said if you are alive or dead, an MRI comes out the same, however the PetScan measures the metabolic activity of the brain, via "color images." I'm thinking this is what is in the back of Dr. Braverman's book. I guess I'm going to find out.

-Shea

Old 04-11-2005, 05:17 PM   #7
sheacarney

Oh, my neurologist is Dr. Stephen O'hara. He's an affiliate of Cedar Sinai. He's very competent and all about healing, without drugs. I brought in the Paxil Progress report, detailing "Withdrawal Syndrome," and he asked if he could keep it, so he could read-up on the research information listed. He's a good doctor. They are out there. I'm so glad someone is listening, but I can't say I'm surprised it's in the field of neurology.

-Shea

Old 04-11-2005, 07:49 PM   #8
elisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheacarney
Oh, my neurologist is Dr. Stephen O'hara. He's an affiliate of Cedar Sinai. He's very competent and all about healing, without drugs. I brought in the Paxil Progress report, detailing "Withdrawal Syndrome," and he asked if he could keep it, so he could read-up on the research information listed. He's a good doctor. They are out there. I'm so glad someone is listening, but I can't say I'm surprised it's in the field of neurology.
Shea - I'm not surprised it's in the field of neurologists.... Psychiatrists and FP's don't know enough about neurology and the brain, yet act and prescribe if they do. You can't drug a person for behaviours and/or emotional "disorders". That's not proven in science anyway. That's all based on theory.

After a thorough psysical check-up by the FP to rule out any physical illness, a person with any "mental ilness" should be referred to a neurologist for consultation and examination. If all is OK, then CBT, talk therapy or alternate treatments should be sought.

IMO, bio-psychiatry (meds) should be abolished or only administered when everything else fails and should be prescribed by neurologists only as a last resort, since these drugs act on the physcial (serotonergic) brain. The confusion about these meds is that they affect us on both the emotional/behavioural and physical level.

At least 50% of people diagnosed with depression and treated with AD's have a physical illness that caused the depression to begin with.

Ofcourse, this is my humble opinion in all of this.
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:06 PM   #9
scotty
Administrator

And your "humble opinion" is exactly right!!

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #10
sheacarney

I'm doing my best not to worry. It's difficult. It's been one thing after another. Cysts, sore throat, sores in my mouth, swollen glands, asthmatic bronchitis, tachycardia, adrenal surges w/massive amounts of cortisol, whatever the thyroid thing is (which has subsided, to some extent, over the last week), a brain "spot." The ailments just keep on coming. I'm frightened. How does one come through this without getting cancer? This has been an all out, physical assault on my body, not to mention the emotional upheaval. It's very difficult to believe you can survive this. I know it's been done, but it's just so hard to believe it.

-Shea

Old 04-11-2005, 09:11 PM   #11
scotty
Administrator

Shea, don't you wish you had a "pre paxil" MRI!! Don't give up, don't place any expectations, just go with it and give it the time. The brain is an amazing organ with amazing healing powers. You'll get there!!

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:26 AM   #12
ZoloPolo

Shea

I'm relay sorryfor you..good you try to do the best to net be worry and nervous
So differents people reacts, Some are very sensitive ..I reacts with same symtom as you..I have bleeding from my mouth swollen toungh.and much more...Did you eat other medical when you was on paxil..?
I was eat kodein, one barbiturate.."kodeine-morfine.." thinking on the Interactions risks...I hope it's no serious, and you be health some day...I'm sure of it..
but the brain take time to heal..
Dedde

*Stopped CT Zoloft
(Still waiting to be recovered)
ZoloPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:07 AM   #13
sheacarney

Dedde,

I took no other psychotropic drugs. Just Paxil. After Paxil is another issue entirely. I took Phenergan, Xanax/Valium to try to quell my symptoms of withdrawal.

Today I am very sick. Not sure why. Tryptophan? Benzo withdrawal? I am very nauseated and can't stop rocking back and forth. I've been to the bathroom more times than I can stand. I'm also twitching. Very bad.

-Shea

Old 04-12-2005, 09:14 AM   #14
xian

Quote:

-Shea
How cool is that -- A doctor that cares enough to incorporate your input into your treatment plan. Despite this being such a trying time Shea, I think it's great that you've found such a considerate and competent neurologist.

The news of a spot is scary, no doubt. To your credit, you sound like you're keeping it in perspective, acknowledging that an MRI is a static view of your brain, unlike the view afforded by a PETscan.

Keep us posted of with the results of the next test. And I hope this latest wave of discomfort passes soon. Hang in there ;-)
xian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:13 PM   #15
mapleleafgirl25

shea..everytime i read your posts i just want to give you a big hug...I am sorry you are going through all this crap....but its good you are getting things checked out as well...the waiting for results is stressful..i know..i just went though it for some pregnancy tests...tests are an anxious persons worst nightmare..but ...there is always some relief in the end..no matter what the results are....I heard about the spots for migranes as well..I am sure everything is going to work out just fine...hang in there..

hugs,
Michele
04/11/2012 - 6.0 - 3.4 - 05/05/2013 (Third year into Taper)
06/04/2013 - 3.2 - 1.0 - 05/31/2014 (Fourth Year -Taper Done)
PAXIL FREE - JUNE 1 2014
mapleleafgirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:32 PM   #16
sheacarney

I am very sick today. Your thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:35 PM   #17
Scott

cutting xanax makes you very restless

What has happened to it all?
Crazy, some are saying
Where is the life that I recognize?
Gone away

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

surviving an ssri reaction
alternative anxiety treatments
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:05 PM   #18
elisa

Quote:

Today I am very sick. Not sure why. Tryptophan? Benzo withdrawal? I am very nauseated and can't stop rocking back and forth. I've been to the bathroom more times than I can stand. I'm also twitching. Very bad.
Shea - I'm worried about you. Have you ever tried camomile tea to settle and calm down your tummy? Ginger or ginger tea might be of help to you for the nausea you are experiencing.

I know that you are worried about ingesting anything that might induce some awful reaction and don't blame you for that! These two products are harmless though.

*hug*
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
Old 04-12-2005, 02:18 PM   #19
sheacarney

Drinking chamomile. A friend is with me, watching me.

Scott, I have akathisia. I can't stop rocking. Been this way since 3am. I don't understand. It went away months ago. Was I just surpressing Paxil akathisia? Is this my permanent brain damage coming out, now valium is out of my system? When I stop rocking back and forth, I twitch and jerk. If I make myself sit still, my skin crawls. I'm very afraid.

-Shea

Old 04-12-2005, 02:19 PM   #20
MizzT
Banned

Shea you poor thing!!! it took me a few days to come down after the 5htp thing. I know you feel like **** now but hang in there.
I second the camomile or ginger tea and maybe a warm bath? an epsom salt bath might help relax you and ease symptoms.

I have a favorite blanket i curl up with when things are bad. hope you have something to snuggle up with too. Heck....ive even had to curl up in the bathroom when its real bad. Just stay warm and comfortable and ride it out, friend.
MizzT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #21
sheacarney

I just can't stop moving. The abdominal pain is severe. I cannot rest.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:31 PM   #22
elisa

Quote:
Drinking chamomile. A friend is with me, watching me.

Scott, I have akathisia. I can't stop rocking. Been this way since 3am. I don't understand. It went away months ago. Was I just surpressing Paxil akathisia? Is this my permanent brain damage coming out, now valium is out of my system? When I stop rocking back and forth, I twitch and jerk. If I make myself sit still, my skin crawls. I'm very afraid.

-Shea
Shea - I'm glad you have a friend over to be with you. Your reaction seems to be tryptophan related, however it can also be the Paxil roller coaster thing that is sticking up its ugle head. Or even the benzo withdrawl.

This will be temporary Shea. Try to get as much fluid in your body as possible. Would a real nice hot home made chicken broth appeal to you?
Old 04-12-2005, 02:33 PM   #23
sheacarney

Only tea today. Nothing else will stick.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:34 PM   #24
Caroline49

Shea, how awful. This is scary? Is this something we all have to look forward too? OMG!!
Like Beverly said, rest is the best cure right now. Have your friend stay with you for a while atleast until you fall asleep. Put a warm cloth on your forehead and have her rub your tummy where it hurts. Is your husband coming in soon?
You don't need to be alone.
And we should call every truth false
which was not accompanied by at least one laugh.

Nietzsche
Caroline49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #25
sheacarney

I cannot sleep. It's just not possible. I'm sitting here, rocking back and forth at the computer, like a crazy person. It won't stop. I don't understand. I think it's the tryptophan AND benzo withdrawal. I didn't expect to see this again.

I cannot be alone. It's really bad.