our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Methods of Wellbeing
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Methods of Wellbeing A discussion on how you're managing your state of health (herbs, vitamins, acupuncture, chiropractic etc.) NO LINKING TO COMMERCIAL SITES PLEASE. Paxilprogress does not investigate nor endorse any supplement program.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 04-27-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
Scott

The Miracle Of Magnesium

The Miracle of Magnesium

By Carolyn Dean, MD, ND

Magnesium deficiency triggers or causes the following 22 conditions; the introduction of magnesium, either by a high-magnesium diet, with green drinks, or magnesium supplements, can help alleviate these conditions:

Anxiety and panic attacks
Asthma
Blood clots
Bowel disease
Cystitis
Depression
Detoxification
Diabetes, Syndrome X,
and Metabolic Syndrome
Fatigue
Heart disease
Hypertension
Hypoglycemia
Insomnia
Kidney Disease
Liver Disease
Migraine
Musculoskeletal conditions
Nerve problems
Obstetrics and Gynecology--premenstrual syndrome, dysmenorrhea (cramping pain during menses), infertility, premature contractions, preeclampsia, and eclampsia in pregnancy, lessens the risk of cerebral palsy and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
Osteoporosis
Raynaud's Syndrome
Tooth decay

Science and medicine have both turned their backs on magnesium. Science opts out because the scientific methodology is defined by being able to test one thing at a time ending up with one result. Science finds magnesium too difficult to corral, partly because it is responsible for the correct metabolic function of over 350 enzymes in the body. The creation of ATP (adenosine triphospate) the energy molecules of the body, the action of the heart muscle, the proper formation of bones and teeth, relaxation of blood vessels, and the promotion of proper bowel function are all under the guidance of magnesium.

Why Don't We Hear More About Magnesium?

Medicine has turned its back on magnesium because most of the funding for medical research now comes from drug companies. Magnesium is not a patented drug and therefore will not be studied by drug companies, except to try to disprove its action.

While researching my book, "The Miracle of Magnesium," I found that doctors have been prescribing magnesium for heart disease since the 1930s. A review of seven major clinical studies showed that IV magnesium reduced the odds of death by more than half in patients suffering acute myocardial infarction (heart attack). One study, LIMIT-2, developed a protocol for giving magnesium as soon as possible after onset of the heart attack and before any other drugs. If those criteria were followed, heart muscle damage was greatly reduced, and neither hypertension nor arrhythmia developed.

Magnesium and the Heart

During and after a heart attack, people can suffer the following:

Extension of the area of heart damage as calcium floods into the muscle
Blood clotting, which blocks blood vessels in the heart muscle
Decreased blood flow as blood vessels go into spasm
Arrhythmia as the areas where muscle contraction in the heart originate are damaged
Magnesium is able to:

Dilate blood vessels
Prevent spasm in the heart muscle and blood vessel walls
Counteract the action of calcium, which increases spasm
Help dissolve blood clots
Dramatically lessen the site of injury and prevent arrhythmia
Act as an antioxidant against the free radicals forming at the site of injury 1-4
One of the main reasons that heart drug digoxin becomes toxic is because there is not enough magnesium in the body. 5

A drug trial called ISIS sought to disprove the effects of magnesium. In the ISIS trial the protocol was not followed in that magnesium was not the first drug given, and often it was not given for many hours or days after a heart attack was well established, causing widespread damage and blood clotting. Yet, drug reps can dutifully tell their doctor clients that ISIS proved that magnesium is worthless for heart disease! 6 Since the LIMIT-2 and ISIS trials, another smaller trial with only 200 people who were given IV magnesium at the onset of a heart attack, experienced a 74 percent lower death rate. 7

In spite of the fact that heart drugs, mainly diuretics, have the bad habit of depleting magnesium--along with potassium and even though magnesium is absolutely required for stabilizing heart muscle activity--magnesium is not utilized properly by conventional medicine.

Magnesium's Role in a Healthy Body

A small group of international magnesium researchers, however, have continued, against all odds, to prove the importance of magnesium not only as a nutrient for thousands of body processes but also as a medicine to treat magnesium-depleted health conditions. Drs. Bella and Burton Altura are two hard-working magnesium heroes! They have performed laboratory research and clinical research to the tune of about 1,000 studies over the past 40 years. The Alturas personally confirmed that the 22 magnesium-related conditions, listed at the beginning of this article, have a solid basis in science.

Dr. Burton Altura said that during his 40 years of research he was appalled at the lack of attention given to this life-saving nutrient. He has all but given up on conventional medicine recognizing the need for magnesium in its protocols for dozens of diseases and welcomed books such as mine to help spread the word. Without million-dollar marketing budgets that drug companies have for their latest drugs, nutrient research plods along--proving over and over again their worth but never being able to get that information out to the public.

Up to 80 Percent of Americans are Magnesium-Deficient

Another reason that Dr. Altura felt magnesium was not given its due is because there has been no lab test that will give an accurate reading of the magnesium status in the tissues. Only one percent of magnesium of the body is distributed in the blood, making a simple sample of magnesium in the blood highly inaccurate. That's why most doctors who rely on blood tests for magnesium and not magnesium deficiency signs and symptoms and realization that up to 80 percent of the population is deficient, will miss an important diagnosis.

There's even more to the actual way magnesium works. It exists in the body either as active magnesium ions or as inactive magnesium complexes bound to proteins or other substances. A magnesium ion is a group of atoms that is missing an electron, which makes it excitable as it searches to attach to something that will replace its missing electron.

Magnesium ions constitute the most physiologically active fraction of magnesium in the body; they are free to join in biochemical body processes and are not attached to other substances. 8 Most clinical laboratories only assess total "serum" magnesium, which mixes up both active and inactive types.

The Alturas took it upon themselves to develop and research a method that would test specifically for magnesium ions. It came about in 1987 and is called the Blood Ionized Magnesium Test. Its accuracy has been confirmed countless times with sensitive digital imaging microscopy, atomic absorption spectroscopy and the magnesium fluorescent probe. With this test it is now possible to directly measure the levels of magnesium ions in whole blood, plasma and serum using ion-selective electrodes. 8 The Alturas have used the ionized magnesium test in hundreds of research trials on dozens of different conditions proving, for example, that the 22 conditions listed above are related to magnesium deficiency. 9-15

Unfortunately, I'm not able to tell you that the ionized magnesium test is readily available. The Alturas do ionized magnesium tests at their laboratory at SUNY in New York and the testing equipment is available through an outside manufacturer to interested labs. (I've included the Altura contact information, below.)

How to Get Enough Magnesium

How do I get enough magnesium is a question that I'm frequently asked. If there is enough magnesium in the soil where green leafy vegetables, nuts, and seeds are grown then we have a chance to obtain magnesium from our diet. Organic foods may have more magnesium, but only if farmers replenish their soil with magnesium-rich fertilizers. Most fertilizer used on factory farms relies heavily on nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium to make plants grow and appear healthy.

However, if magnesium and other minerals and micronutrients are not introduced the plants may look good but are not packed with the nutrition we need. Growers should be required to use top-quality fertilizers and should test their crops for the long list of nutrients we need to stay healthy.

In general, to get as much magnesium as possible in the diet, eat plenty of organic leafy green vegetables, nuts and seeds every day. Adding green drinks to your menu will help you achieve a higher magnesium status. However, if you are suffering from the following symptoms you may need supplemental magnesium:

muscle twitches, tics, or spasms "Charlie horse" (the muscle spasm that occurs when you stretch your legs) insomnia or restless sleep stress back pain
headaches, cluster headaches, migraines stiff and aching muscles bones and joints that need continued chiropractic treatment weakness hypoglycemia
diabetes nervousness hyperactivity high blood pressure osteoporosis
PMS constipation angina kidney stones aging
depression heart attack irregular heartbeat attention deficit disorder aggressive behavior
chronic fatigue syndrome stroke anxiety confusion, muscle weakness hiccups
high-strung exhaustion from exercise seizures

The Calcium-to-Magnesium Ratio

Supplementing with magnesium must also take into account the balance between calcium and magnesium. Finland, which, from 1973 to 1999 had the highest recorded incidence of heart attack in middle-aged men in the world, also has a high calcium-to-magnesium ratio in the diet at 4 parts calcium to 1 part magnesium. 16-17 Americans in general have a high calcium-to-magnesium ratio in their diet and consequently in their bodies; the U.S. ratio is 3.5-to-1. Our dietary emphasis on a high calcium intake without sufficient magnesium and because of the excessive emphasis on women taking high doses of calcium for osteoporosis, we are creating more imbalance between the two minerals.

Some researchers predict that the American ratio of calcium to magnesium is actually approaching 6-to-1, yet, the recommended dietary ratio of calcium to magnesium in the United States is 2-to-1. Current research on the paleolithic or caveman diet shows that the ratio of calcium to magnesium in the diet that our bodies evolved to eat is 1-to-1. 18 In order to offset the deficiency magnesium induced by excess calcium and to treat the above 22 conditions, people may find it necessary to ingest one part magnesium to one part calcium in supplement form for a period of months to a year. Stabilization on a healthy diet including green drinks may be possible after that time.

The most commons sources of magnesium are oxide, citrate, glycinate, and malate. People use oxide and citrate if they suffer from constipation to take advantage of magnesium's laxative effect. Glycinate seems to cause little diarrhea and is the best choice for people who already have loose stools. Magnesium malate has been promoted for people with fibromyalgia to help break up lactic acid that seems to be part of the fibromyalgia picture.

Dr. Carolyn Dean is a medical doctor and naturopathic doctor. She is a writer, researcher, and health advocate. She is the lead author on Death by Medicine and a health advisor to yeastconnection.com and curesnaturally.com. She has written several health books including "The Miracle of Magnesium". Her Web site is carolyndean.com. The Miracle of Magnesium is written for both the lay public and practitioners. It is packed with hundreds of journal references that will convince doctors of the importance of magnesium and its efficacy in dozens of conditions--before reaching for the prescription pad.

What has happened to it all?
Crazy, some are saying
Where is the life that I recognize?
Gone away

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

surviving an ssri reaction
alternative anxiety treatments
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 07:45 AM   #2
davedood

Re: The Miracle Of Magnesium

"However, if you are suffering from the following symptoms you may need supplemental magnesium:

muscle twitches, tics, or spasms "

HEY!
Now there's something. I've been slacking off in taking magnesium. I started up again three days ago, and guess what seems to be subsiding? My freakin' EYE TWITCH!

Let's hope that's the ticket.

37.5 mg daily from 1/2003 until 10/2005 when I started weaning off the evil crap.
davedood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
elisa

Scott - thank you. Have taken a copy of your post and will take it to my naturopathic doc next time I go. I've got a few of the 22 conditions. Currently I'm taking abt 400 mg Magnesium, may not be enough.......
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 05:24 PM   #4
silence4now

Dr. Carolyn Dean has written a new book called Death by Modern Medicine, but I don't know if it's out yet.
silence4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:30 PM   #5
Believer

I just finished reading the Miracle of MAgnesium, it is a great read. I know this site was posted before but I also learned a lot from it: http://www.coldcure.com/html/dep.html

I've been taking Magnesium taurate and think it helps sooooo much!
Currently: Paxil Free as of June 18
Pools of sorrow, waves of joy. - John Lennon & Paul McCartney
Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:18 AM   #6
dar7726
Banned

Great site for more on magnesium. May have been taken from the Miracle of Magnesium...hard to say but the website recommends the book. So for more indepth info. check out:

http://www.ctds.info/5_13_magnesium.html
dar7726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:23 AM   #7
elisa

Thank you Darlene!
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
Old 10-12-2005, 04:09 PM   #8
bettyann

Hi Elisa,

I was prescribed paxil in 1997 after being diagnosed with breast cancer. Through the years, I just kept taking it because my oncologist said I could be on it for life. No real problems until last year when my insurance switched me to generic. Since then, various ailments have occurred, including vicious head problems. In Aug. I started researching the drug. Brought me here and I feel I am experiencing many of the w/d symtons, except no zaps. It's a good day when I can calm down and post.

I have a msjor distrust of doctors. A psychiatrist had me switching to Wellbutrin and then my gp switched me to paxil cr and then on to zoloft. Went crazy. Two weeks withdrawal then back on 20mg paxil. Still on it. Know I have to withdraw and know I need help. Thanks for listening.

bettyann
bettyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:46 PM   #9
elisa

Bettyann, it seems like the meds "pooped" out on you.

Please read the FAQ. It will answer many questions you may have.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:00 PM   #10
bettyann

HI Elisa,

Yes, I'm sure I'm "pooped" out. I guess I'm on the wrong forum. Still figuring out this system. Thank you and I certainly will go over the FAQ again. Take care, bettyann
Old 10-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #11
elisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyann
HI Elisa,

Yes, I'm sure I'm "pooped" out. I guess I'm on the wrong forum. Still figuring out this system. Thank you and I certainly will go over the FAQ again. Take care, bettyann
It's better to post in the General Forum. You'll get more responses there because it's visited more than this one. Just create a new thread in there?
Old 10-13-2005, 02:23 PM   #12
bettyann

I'll try to do that (start thread in Gen. Forum). If you guys don't hear from me there, I got lost and pooped. Thanks for your help so far. I realize that I want to withdraw but I'm getting scared. Have had too many horrific times recently and don't know whether I can take action now. What a great site and I"m learning so much that I had no clue about. Always thought I needed change in medication, not withdrawal. I'm also on a few other meds that might be causing harm also.

Keep up the wonderful work. Will see you in General. bettyann
Old 10-15-2005, 10:36 AM   #13
eileen

I just added magnesium yesterday to my supplements. I now take a multi-vitamin,vitamin D, Calcium, Evening primose oil, fish oil and magnesium. I'm in my tenth day now of withdrawal and feeling pretty good to-day.
Elisa if you see anything on there Ishould not be mixing, please tell me.
eileen
eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 11:36 AM   #14
MizzT
Banned

hi Eileen! how much calcium do you take daily? and how much dairy, cheese, eggs, leafy greens, shellfish do you eat daily?

the reason i ask is that too much calcium can be no good also. first: avoid "excess calcium". we have all been trained to get yer calcium or your bones will crumble....when in fact what we really need is the extra magnesium. remember that any calcium whether dietary or supplement....must be taken with 50% as much magnesium to be absorbed. you will also need additional magnesium to take care of the other 300+ uses in the body. so take some magnesium at another time of day when you dont take the calcium....to make sure you are getting the benefit of IT...and not just its absorption properties with calcium.
also.....sunshine is the best for of vitamin D!!

Darlene im sure would also say....avoid excess sugars...so you lessen the growth of yeast. fiber for the gut and a probiotic like Acidophilus is helpful too!

it sounds like you are doing all the good things your body needs!!
glad to hear you feeling good!!
MizzT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:28 PM   #15
elisa

Bev explained it all very well so there's not much to add.

Except one thing: Only take Vitamin D supplements when your doc tested you for it and the result came up as being deficient.

Yeah, the sun doesn't shine very often in the east isn't it? If you're deficient in Vitamin D, then you might want to look at taking Cod Liver Oil from Nordic Naturals. It's a liquid and comes in peach and orange flavor, not bad tasting at all!! Take all fish oil with a meal. It's got all the necessary DHA, EPA, Vit D and E.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:41 AM   #16
fancypants

please be very careful about vitamin d supplements! i dont now much about it....but my mom is always saying never to take extra vitamin d...it can cause all kinds of brain damage and stuff i think......
switched to
cymbalta august 2005 - september 13th 2005
quit cold turkey september 13th 2005 because cymbalta was making me totally insane
****Back on Prozac 5mg March 1. Hoping to stabalize and then wean off this VERY VERY VERY slowly*****
COMPLETELY DRUG FREE AS OF 6/28/06!!!!!!
fancypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:17 AM   #17
dar7726
Banned

Vitamin D is absolutely necessary and one of the most deficient nutrients in humans.

The best source is the sun. Cod liver oil is the next best source and since during the winter months most of us can not get sun exposure supplementing with a dose of cod liver oil is the answer.

Here are some articles on the benefits of vitamin D.
http://www.mercola.com/2004/oct/30/v...d_benefits.htm

http://www.mercola.com/2004/sep/11/vitamin_d.htm

Darlene
Old 10-18-2005, 09:42 AM   #18
eileen

Thank You everybody,
I don't get enough sun, so I do have to take Vitamin D. I can't bear the thought of Cod Liver Oil!!! no, no no LOL
I'm drinking ginger tea now and it really helps me.
eileen
Old 10-18-2005, 12:16 PM   #19
elisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen
Thank You everybody,
I don't get enough sun, so I do have to take Vitamin D. I can't bear the thought of Cod Liver Oil!!! no, no no LOL
I'm drinking ginger tea now and it really helps me.
eileen
I remember my mother giving us cod liver oil in the winter time when we were kids. I remember "tasting" the oil all day!! *goosebumps*

Fish Oil has improved a lot compared to those days and easy to take. Nordic Naturals is an excellent brand and was recommended by my naturopathic doc. The flavored ones are really not fishy tasting at all and no burpies. They also have capsules.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:04 PM   #20
eileen

elisa, cod liver oil and an orange to take away the taste after. Wow! I just had fresh mackeral filletts for supper. Caught this morning, on the dinner plate this afternoon. I love fresh fish.
eileen
Old 10-18-2005, 04:19 PM   #21
ddog1st

This explains my new craving for dairy. I never drank milk or ate ice cream and yougurt. The occasional and spare cheese was the only dairy in my diet. While taking 750mg of magnesium my body has naturally instructed me to take more calcium. I've added two and a half cups of milk to my diet.

I know leafy green are the best source of both calcium and magnesium, but the craving for milk is so strong now.

January 2009 Paxil 20 mg
15 October 2011 15 mg
5 December 2011 10 mg
12 December 2011 20 mg
21 May 2013 40 mg
1 November 2013 30 mg
1 December 2013 20 mg
1 January 2014 15 mg
21 January 2014 10 mg
14 February 2014 5 mg
ddog1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:19 PM   #22
eileen

Hi Bryan, I love cheese, but I've formed an allergy to dairy.So except when I cheat and eat the odd pizza, no diary for me. I do drink soy milk. That's why I have to take calcium.
eileen
Old 10-18-2005, 10:16 PM   #23
dar7726
Banned

You guys might find this article from Mercola.com interesting food for thought.

http://www.mercola.com/2002/jul/6/vitamin_d.htm

"I think the most interesting result of this study is that the vitamin D from milk did not help to improve low vitamin D levels. This should not be surprising because the vitamin D in milk is synthetic vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) which isn't as effective at replacing vitamin D as the natural vitamin D3 (cholicalciferol) that is received from the sun or cod liver oil.

If you are taking a vitamin with D in it, you will want to confirm that it is not the synthetic vitamin D2 ergocalciferol"

Darlene
Old 10-18-2005, 10:22 PM   #24
dar7726
Banned

Lastly how much vitamin D is too much...I found this. It actually looks interesting but I haven't read it all yet.

http://www.mercola.com/2003/dec/27/vitamin_d_quiz.htm
Old 11-03-2005, 06:10 PM   #25
elisa

Here's a link that says that depression is due to a magnesium defiency.

http://www.coldcure.com/html/dep.html