our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Methods of Wellbeing
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Methods of Wellbeing A discussion on how you're managing your state of health (herbs, vitamins, acupuncture, chiropractic etc.) NO LINKING TO COMMERCIAL SITES PLEASE. Paxilprogress does not investigate nor endorse any supplement program.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 11-03-2005, 07:35 PM   #26
eileen

Re: The Miracle Of Magnesium

I will definately read this when I feel better elisa.
eileen
I will survive!
eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:15 PM   #27
sophia

Ok I'm sold on magnesium--but how much? how often and are there some brands that are better than others?
sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 07:54 PM   #28
dar7726
Banned

There are many types. From what I've learned and what others have said here, Magnesium Tarate, Glycinate and Citrate....generally in that order or the best choices. However Tarate is the most expensive too.

I like Magnesium Glycinate, and I've also taken a food source that I like (mega foods I think) and I've taken Natural Calm (which is a powdered Mag Citrate.

How much to take?....generally people start slow and work up to bowel tolerance which seems to be about 600 to 800 mg. Back off if you start to have diarrhea.

Darlene
dar7726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 09:34 PM   #29
dar7726
Banned

More interesting news on Magnesium.....even a quiz to find out if you are magnesium deficient.

http://www.thewayup.com/newsletters/081501.htm
Old 12-22-2005, 10:02 PM   #30
silence4now

just started taking KAL's Magnesium Hydroxy Acids with Orotates (Magnesium Malate, Mag citrate, Mag lysinate, Mag tartrate, Mag lactate, Mag orotate) and have had no burning, no muscle tension or cramps. I wish I had found this sooner.
silence4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:02 PM   #31
elisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by silence4now
just started taking KAL's Magnesium Hydroxy Acids with Orotates (Magnesium Malate, Mag citrate, Mag lysinate, Mag tartrate, Mag lactate, Mag orotate) and have had no burning, no muscle tension or cramps. I wish I had found this sooner.
Good to hear silence! How about the bathroom issues with this brand?
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 01:21 PM   #32
silence4now

Little bit of cramping if I take 800 mg, so it works better for me if I break the 400 mg in half and take 3 halves a day. I can really tell a difference when I'm not taking it.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:11 PM   #33
elisa

I've tried to google KAL's brand and didn't find it. Do you have a link Silence?
Thank you. The different magnesium, like oxide,glycinate and taurate I've tried don't agree with me, even in small doses.
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
Old 12-25-2005, 03:23 PM   #34
silence4now

I bought it at the Whole Foods Store from the clearance sale bin. I believe it's now called Kal Magnesium Actisorob. This is only link I could find, but it's U.S.:

http://www.myvitanet.com/acmag60cnt40.html
Old 12-25-2005, 08:49 PM   #35
elisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by silence4now
I bought it at the Whole Foods Store from the clearance sale bin. I believe it's now called Kal Magnesium Actisorob. This is only link I could find, but it's U.S.:

http://www.myvitanet.com/acmag60cnt40.html
Thank you silence!! I've bookmarked the site. Might try this magnesium.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #37
dar7726
Banned

I thought this info on magnesium was interesting. Even if you've read info on mag before I think you'll find something new here:

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...25,890,00.html

Here's the bulk of the article: Click on link for info on dosages, types etc.

What Is It?

Essential for hundreds of chemical reactions that occur in the body every second, the mineral magnesium has received surprisingly little attention over the years. Recent findings, however, suggest that it also has important health-promoting benefits, from an ability to prevent heart disease to a role in treating such chronic conditions as fibromylagia and diabetes.

Unfortunately, most people don't get enough magnesium in their daily diets, mainly because they eat great quantities of processed foods, which provide scant amounts of this important mineral. The effects of stress, intense physical activity, or the use of certain medications can also cause magnesium deficiency. Some diseases, such as diabetes and alcoholism, can cause low magnesium levels too.

Supplements are one way to ensure that you get enough magnesium. You'll find several forms available: magnesium citrate, magnesium aspartate, magnesium carbonate, magnesium gluconate, magnesium oxide, and magnesium sulfate.

Health Benefits

Magnesium plays a variety of roles in the body. Not only is it critical for energy production and proper nerve function, it also promotes muscle relaxation and helps the body produce and use insulin. Like calcium, another mineral it's commonly paired with in supplement products, magnesium is involved in the formation of bones and teeth, the clotting of blood, and the regulation of heart rhythm. Magnesium, sometimes taken in combination with calcium, is often used to treat such ailments as back pain, high blood pressure, depression, anxiety and panic, muscle cramps, and migraine headache.

Specifically, magnesium may help to:

Prevent and treat heart disease, including angina and irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia). Without adequate levels of magnesium, your heart will suffer: The mineral helps coordinate the activity of the heart muscle as well as the functioning of the nerves that initiate the heartbeat. It also helps keep coronary arteries from spasming, an action that can cause the intense chest pain known as angina. If you have a deficiency of magnesium--often true of those with angina and abnormal heart rhythms--supplements may help. In a recent study of more than 230 people with frequent arrhythmias, the likelihood of these abnormal rhythms dropped significantly within three weeks after the participants increased the amount of magnesium and potassium in their diets. In addition, when given by injection in a hospital setting, magnesium has been found to aid recovery from a heart attack by stabilizing heart rhythm, inhibiting blood clots, and expanding coronary arteries. Some studies even indicate that drinking "hard" water, which is high in magnesium, lowers the risk of death from heart attack.

Control high blood pressure. Even a slight decline in blood pressure can reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke. Magnesium plays a part in reducing elevated blood pressure by relaxing the muscles that control blood vessels, allowing blood to flow more freely. Its beneficial effect on blood pressure is further enhanced because of its ability to help equalize the levels of potassium and sodium in the blood. A recent study of 60 men and women with high blood pressure found that magnesium supplements lowered both the systolic (the top number) and diastolic (the bottom number) pressures. Magnesium is typically taken along with calcium to treat high blood pressure.

Limit complications of congestive heart failure. Because magnesium can help lower blood pressure and inhibit dangerous arrhythmias, two common complications in those with congestive heart failure, a weakened heart may benefit from extra doses of this mineral.

Prevent diabetes complications. Preliminary findings indicate that having sufficient amounts of magnesium may protect against non-insulin-dependent (type 2) diabetes and its complications, such as eye disease. More research on this potentially important role for magnesium in diabetes prevention is needed, however.

Reduce the symptoms of fibromyalgia. Magnesium's role in relaxing contracted or stiff muscles makes it helpful for relieving the aching associated with fibromyalgia, a chronic rheumatic disorder. Taking the mineral with malic acid is often recommended for this purpose because the acid is believed to enhance the absorption and fatigue-fighting actions of magnesium. Fibromylagia sufferers involved in a study on the effectiveness of high doses of magnesium and malic acid reported reduced pain and muscle tenderness after two months on the treatment regimen. Interestingly, people suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome--another disorder that can cause muscle aches and fatigue--may similarly benefit from magnesium, according to a placebo controlled study in which they reported an improvement in well-being after being injected with the mineral. (Whether the same benefits are available to those who take the mineral by mouth has yet to be determined.)

Ease muscle cramps, aches and pains. It has been shown that for proper muscle contraction and relaxation, magnesium and calcium need to be present in balanced amounts. A supplement containing these minerals, taken regularly, may lessen the pain from sports injuries or excessive physical activity Supplements with a ratio of two parts calcium to one part magnesium are recommended for otherwise healthy individuals treating muscle cramps and aches. Increasing magnesium levels can even improve a workout: A study of women over age 50 found that when magnesium levels were low, the participants had higher heart rates and needed more oxygen during their workouts.

Protect against migraines. Many migraine sufferers are found to have low magnesium levels in their systems. To maintain healthy blood flow to brain vessels--and thus possibly protect against debilitating migraine headaches--it's smart to correct any magnesium deficiency.

Relieve PMS (premenstrual syndrome) discomforts. Because deficiencies in magnesium have been found in many women suffering from PMS, taking magnesium supplements may help this problem. Menstrual cramping, which is caused by hormonelike substances called prostaglandins made by the endometrial cells, may subside with supplemental doses of magnesium and calcium. Both minerals help to lower the production of prostaglandins. Magnesium's muscle-relaxing properties probably have a beneficial effect on cramping of the uterine muscle as well.

Minimize the severity of asthma attacks. By helping the bronchial muscles to relax and encouraging the lung's airways to expand, magnesium may ease an asthmatic's breathing problems. Anyone suffering from severe or recurrent asthma attacks should consider using magnesium supplements along with their usual anti-inflammatory medications. When taken for preventive purposes in oral form, the mineral's effects are gradual; it may take up to six weeks for any benefit to become apparent. (Studies have shown that intravenous injections of magnesium--but not necessarily oral doses--can stop some severe asthma attacks.)

Prevent osteoporosis. Magnesium helps the body convert vitamin D--which the body needs to take advantage of bone-strengthening calcium--into a form that it can use efficiently. By contributing to increased bone density, the mineral may help stall the onset of the debilitating, bone-thinning disease known as osteoporosis.

Reduce emotional irritability in chronic depression, anxiety, and panic disorder. Magnesium and vitamin B6 are needed for the body to produce serotonin, an important mood-enhancing brain chemical. When depression or a panic disorder is persistent--and especially when the usual drugs have limited effect--supplementing with magnesium and vitamin B 6 may provide significant relief. It may take six weeks or more of treatment for effects to be felt. Taking calcium along with magnesium may also lessen an overreaction to stress that some research has linked to anxiety and panic attacks.

Darlene
Old 01-01-2006, 12:31 PM   #38
dar7726
Banned

Another interesting link:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium.asp
Old 01-02-2006, 05:58 AM   #39
eileen

Very interesting Dar. I've bookmarked it, thank you.
eileen
I will survive!
eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:19 AM   #40
dar7726
Banned

I haven't read all of this yet, but I found it on curezone and it looks very interesting. It does recommend a product but the info is still interesting.

excerpt:
While the government officially refuses to recognize the effects of magnesium in preventing vascular disease, the National Institutes of Health does publish the following on its website:

“Magnesium is needed for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm steady, supports a healthy immune system, and keeps bones strong. Magnesium also helps regulate blood sugar levels, promotes normal blood pressure, and is known to be involved in energy metabolism and protein synthesis. There is an increased interest in the role of magnesium in preventing and managing disorders such as hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes.”35

http://search.lef.org/cgi-src-bin/Ms...iword=MAGNESIA
Old 05-04-2006, 01:24 PM   #42
pax80

her in portugal, i a'm having some problems finding magnesium citrate, it usually appears combined with magnesium oxide, is this normal or what? thanks...
2006-stopped paxil (1 year taper)
7 years free from drugs

Life is great!
pax80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:35 AM   #45
SoulSurvivor

Sorry for a bump guys but I have a question! I have been reading about the magnesium supplement and went out and bought one from GNC.. mine says on the back thoughfor supplement facts "Magnesium (as magnesium oxide)" and its 500 mg. After reading that site some more it seems taht taking magnesium oxide is not recommended but its better to take magnesium citrate. I will be going back out and looking for this but wanted to ask others about what in the world they eat for a diet? The link to that guys story and rules for success said no dairy and no carbohydrates, it seemed to eliminate alot of foods. Do you guys just eat what you want and add in the magnesium supplement? Also, ive been reading mixed things, some saying 300-400 a day recommended, my bottle says 500mg once a day is recommended, then I saw somewhere else someone mentioning they take 400mg 3 times a day. Whats actually the best? Also, has anyone been noticing any sucecss with their magnesium supplement?
SoulSurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:11 AM   #46
Cayte
Paxilprogress Artist!

Oh dear. Have taken magnesium now for the last 3 days. About half an hour after it i start to get a bad headache and cramp type spasms in my hands.
First day did take 2 of the tabs ie 500mg, but y'day and today 250mg.
I thought it would help me. Do you think its the mag or withdrawal from the evil one??
Cayte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:18 AM   #47
rdjanis
"has a lavender scented keyboard"

Hard to say Cayte. I have read more positive posts about magnesium, but there has been some people who have said it did not sit well with them......
Old 08-29-2006, 09:21 AM   #48
Katesmom

Just one way to find out, Cayte. Quit the mag for a couple of days and see if it improves.

started Paxil Oct. 2003 for PIH
Paxil free since 19 Jul 2005

". . .the cruelest lies are often told without a word. . .the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." -- Ben Folds
Katesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:25 AM   #49
feelin'_wiggy

For Soul Survivor:

Magnesium oxide and mag citrate are formulated differently, so they're not measured equally. The citrate, taureate and glycinate forms contain more concentrated levels of magnesium than the oxide formula.

Four hundred to eight hundred milligrams a day is average. I, myself, take 800 mgs of mag citrate daily divided into two servings because that is the therapeutic dosage for mitral valve prolapse. After taking it daily for about a year now, the palpitations and chest pains I've lived with for years are virtually gone.

The rule of thumb is to take start slowly at 200 mgs a day and increase gradually until you find your level of bowel tolerance. In other words, if it causes diarrhea, you are taking too much. If you do well with 200 mgs, after a week or two you can try increasing to 400. If 400 causes diarrhea, then cut back to 200 or 300 for a while longer. In most cases, tolerance will increase with time. You'll just have to experiment a bit.

The reason for eliminating dairy is to maintain a calcium/magnesium ratio of 1:1, which is considered optimum. Personally, I haven't totally eliminated anything, but I have cut back on red meat, dairy, sugar and white carbs. I also use my juicer several times a week, eat a lot of fresh produce in general (mostly organic), a ton of fish and seafood, a handful of almonds each day, and drink lots of water and iced green tea with lemon, honey or stevia. No sugar. And I do indulge in the occasional fried oyster po-boy or nice greasy pizza.

This has worked well for me. My MVP symptoms have improved, and no more irritable bowel syndrome.

...the most you can hope is to be a little less, in the end, the creature you were in the beginning and the middle. -- Samuel Beckett (The Unnamable)
1998: Paxil prescribed during mother's battle with cancer.
07/03 thru 05/05: Poop out; 2 botched attempts at wd; bipolar dx; more drugs added
04/05: quit lithium, Adderall and Xanax
05/05: Began 3rd attempt at wd
07/22/05: Liberated!

http://www.benzo.org.uk
feelin'_wiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:28 PM   #50
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Now, I can start taking this, while I'm still on Paxil, correct? Is it one of the cumulative things where, by the time I start tapering, it'll be built up in my system?

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote