our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 05-10-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
RR

How to Get Off Paxil

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen has a relatively new book out "The Antidepressant Solution" which details a step-by-step plan to safely get off Paxil et al.

See http://www.prozacbacklash.com/antide...tSolution.html

Here is an excerpt from the preface:

This book is intended to be helpful to doctors and patients alike. For this reason, I shift back and forth quite readily between addressing doctors and patients. In every instance, it is clear who is being addressed. Technical jargon has been minimized in order to provide a practical, straightforward approach to weaning patients off antidepressants. In some instances, I repeat important concepts and terms for readers who lack medical training. I trust readers with more medical knowledge will be understanding of my effort to make the information as accessible to as many people as possible. For those interested in more technical information, notes (which can be found at the back of the book) cite the extensive published medical reports and scientific research on antidepressant withdrawal and dependence. Tapering antidepressants by following the guidelines of the 5-Step Antidepressant Tapering Program reduces both the incidence and severity of withdrawal reactions. Research has shown that when patients stop antidepressants cold turkey they can have high rates of withdrawal reactions, which vary depending on the particular drug. In studies involving hundreds of patients, 66 percent of patients stopping Paxil, 60 percent of patients stopping Zoloft, and 78 percent of patients stopping Effexor have withdrawal reactions. Unfortunately, most doctors and patients have not been adequately informed about the problem of antidepressant withdrawal reactions. Under these circumstances, not surprisingly patients suffer high rates of withdrawal symptoms, including severe reactions. However, following the guidelines of the tapering program, in my experience most patients have no withdrawal reaction at all or mild withdrawal reactions that they tolerate comfortably. The concern with withdrawal reactions should not overshadow the beneficial effects many patients report with antidepressants. Medications are not “bad” because they cause withdrawal symptoms when stopped too quickly. Other important classes of medications that can cause withdrawal reactions are blood pressure medications and anticonvulsants. With these drugs, doctors are familiar with how to taper them. While the magnitude of the problem of withdrawal and dependence with today’s antidepressants has caught doctors and patients largely by surprise and is one the pharmaceutical industry has sought to minimize or deny, it is a problem that has to be confronted honestly and directly. The good news is that with proper information, doctors and patients can almost always safely and effectively overcome antidepressant withdrawal and dependence. Indeed, once patients are ready to go off antidepressants, tapering them over time provides a wonderful opportunity for collaboration, joint decision making, and strengthening the doctor-patient relationship that is at the heart of good medicine.
Attached Images
File Type: gif antiCover.gif (26.2 KB, 8 views)
RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:47 PM   #2
elisa

Re: How to Get Off Paxil

Rob - thank you for sharing.
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:09 AM   #3
damama

Rob,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing that with us! Just reading the info on the link has calmed me (and right now is after 1:00 am and I can't sleep). Tomorrow I'm going to buy that book because that's exactly what I'm going through right now. I feel so full of hope! Now that I feel calm and reassured, I think I'll try to get some sleep. Thank you.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:38 AM   #4
siryellow1

Wow... every prescribing doctor should be FORCED to read that!!!!

Just Updated >>> http://www.I-Got-Off-Paxil.com
siryellow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 01:37 AM   #5
zappelina

Thanks, Rob! Wish I and my doctor had known about this 15 months ago. Too late for me now. The damage done to my body functions now seem irreversible. Just getting more and more dizzy and tired now and beginning to seriously doubt I will survive this.
zappelina is offline   Reply With Quote