our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Health Challenges
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health Challenges Anxiety, depression, OCD, headaches, weight and more.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 07-18-2005, 06:41 AM   #1
bbk

how long does paxil stay in your system

I have been off Paxil since September 04. Does anyone know how long it stays in your system? I have lost the weight it put on me, which was 15lbs...took about 7 months to slowly come off, but I cant seem to tolerate any other meds as far as anxiety-panic attack. the dr put me on lexapro in February and I tried it in March, I took the first pill and 45 minutes later I was on my way to the ER with BAD side effects.. tried HTP this week and on the 4th day, I was shaky and had chest pains and horrible dreams...so whats next? rescue remedy??? any advise?
thanks!
Old 07-18-2005, 07:42 AM   #2
rdjanis
"has a lavender scented keyboard"

Re: how long does paxil stay in your system

Well congrats on being off paxil. Have you tried any kind of therapy to get over the anxiety and try to find out what triggers it for you?
Old 07-18-2005, 08:57 AM   #3
scotty
Administrator

BBK, the paxil is out of your system by now. Now you are dealing with the alterations that paxil has made to your brain and liver. The anxiety increase after paxil withdrawal can take a year or longer to totally resolve. You brain needs that time to heal from the serotonin assault and that will take time. Taking other ssri's, you may find that the liver doesn't metabolize them due to paxil's effect on certain liver enzymes. Paxil tends to inhibit these enzymes so that the drug(not only ssri's) isn't used properly. 5htp is a problem for alot who have gone through withdrawal. I have to agree with Rita, that therapy is the way to go. You're off paxil.. why add another ssri to the mix which will pretty much put you back where you were? Therapy is a permanent solution without the side effects and withdrawal.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:19 AM   #4
feelin'_wiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty
Taking other ssri's, you may find that the liver doesn't metabolize them due to paxil's effect on certain liver enzymes. Paxil tends to inhibit these enzymes so that the drug(not only ssri's) isn't used properly. 5htp is a problem for alot who have gone through withdrawal.
Every time I read about the ill effects on the liver, I get so angry. Twice while on flippin' PaxHEll, my blood work showed elevated liver enzymes. My doctor -- the one who prescribed the poison -- said it was probably fatty liver (sure, considering all the weight I gained) and nothing to worry about. Since my father died of liver disease, I thought it was something to worry about. The second time I asked him if it could be from PaxHell since that was the only drug I was taking on a daily basis at the time. I remember it so clearly. He was looking down at his chart and shook his head to say "no". I would love to go shake his head now.

...the most you can hope is to be a little less, in the end, the creature you were in the beginning and the middle. -- Samuel Beckett (The Unnamable)
1998: Paxil prescribed during mother's battle with cancer.
07/03 thru 05/05: Poop out; 2 botched attempts at wd; bipolar dx; more drugs added
04/05: quit lithium, Adderall and Xanax
05/05: Began 3rd attempt at wd
07/22/05: Liberated!

http://www.benzo.org.uk
feelin'_wiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:50 PM   #5
bbk

hi all
thank you for responding. I will look into therapy. Im done with drugs. they just make things worse in the long run. Your all great and very helpful. I will say a prayer for all of us!
Old 07-19-2005, 08:21 AM   #6
Cyndee

The liver thing--my liver enzymes have been elevated for a few years--seem to be coming down a bit now, and when I had an ultrasound in October 03 to confirm gallstones, they found fatty liver, which one doctor said "now you have to have only one drink of red wine a day," and another said it was because I was overweight--which I am. I'm going through some cleansing and de-tox with my naturapath, but it never occured to me that the liver enzymes could be related to paxil. IS THIS A POSSIBILITY?