our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 08-21-2005, 03:11 AM   #1

How long does it take to clean Paxil from the body?

Regardless of the withdrawal symptoms, how long does it take to remove the Paxil substances from your body? Lets say I'm using 20mg for 4 years now.
8756870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 04:35 AM   #2
Lynette

Re: How long does it take to clean Paxil from the body?

From what I understand, it takes many, many months to free the body of this drug, after a very slow tapering process, which also takes several months.
personally, i have been tapering since early June and now taking small doses of 2.5mgs.
Lynette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 06:17 AM   #3
safarigal

After quitting Paxil completely, it takes on average almost a full year for the body to recover. Paxil itself is in the body less than 24 hours, that's why if you miss a dose you feel terrible.

Paxil free since Nov 2002!

Forum Rules

Withdrawal FAQ
safarigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 07:08 AM   #4

I'm asking because, I read the article about fertility and Paxil, which suggested that Paxil creates hormone who changes the DNA of the sperm- in mice.
And I wonder if I will stop taking Paxil for few days,than the body is free from Paxil doses? I know it takes a year to get rid of the symptoms.
But what about the substance? Does it disappear after a few days?
Thanks for your attention.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:57 AM   #5
MizzT
Banned

the half life of the substance....metabolized....is 21 hours. so half the drug metabolizes in that time. but there may also be evidence suggesting that if not metabolized, it stores in fat cells and comes out as the body is able to metabolize it.

for some it leaves the body quickly....for some it stores and stays around for a long time.
MizzT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 10:58 AM   #6
safarigal

the body might be free of Paxil after a few days but its not free of the damage that Paxil has done to the body. It takes a long time for the liver to cleanse all the byproducts of Paxil out of the body. Plus it takes a long time for the hormonal balances to return to normal.

Forum Rules

Withdrawal FAQ
Old 08-21-2005, 10:59 AM   #7
FWM

This is just a personal opinion but here is my thought on it. According to the short Paxil half-life, it should not take much more than a few days or weeks for Paxil to be out of your body. However, it does so much dammage to your body and brains that you feel the withdrawal effects for months and sometimes years.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:03 AM   #8
rdjanis
"has a lavender scented keyboard"

I think this varies in individuals, how it is stored etc. I can tell you for a full year after withdrawal my child held her weight and had varies symptoms of withdrawal. After 12 months her first drop in weight came, a fair drop. Then approximately another 6 months later she had a huge drop in weight that brought her back to what is normal for her, and no more mood swings. My guess it can be stored for a long time for some individuals.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:47 PM   #9

If we check ourselves each year a full scale tests to our systems and everything is ok.
If we put aside the withdrawal effects, what is the probable damage to the body from Paxil, Is there a damage that is being built but we can't test it or observe it?
I would like to hear your experience on the subject.
The alternative for taking Paxil, is getting Depression and Anxiety again, and they are causing damage to me, anyway.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:04 PM   #10
scotty
Administrator

Ah, that is the 64 million dollar question! We really don't know about "permanent" damage, but I tend to believe that given time the effects that paxil has on the brain and subsequently all the body systems will correct itself. As for getting pregnant, it's not going to happen if the hormones are not in the correct balance(smart bodies we have!) and if you're off paxil there's not drug to be passed on to an infant.
Now don't jump to the conclusion that alot do, that return of depression/anxiety is a return of the original problem. Withdrawal from ssri's CREATE these symptoms as the neurotransmitters are returning to normal levels. To truly know if it's withdrawal related you've go to give yourself a year.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 02:11 PM   #11
feelin'_wiggy

875, the alternative to Paxil is improved diet, exercise, talk therapy, learning better living skills through cognitive behavioral therapy, meditation, and a creative outlet.

These drugs are relatively young, so it's uncertain what prolonged, uninterrupted usage does to those who don't experience difficulty taking it. Most of the data currently availiable is from patients who stopped using it either because of complications or poop out. I always say that I didn't quit the poison, the poison quit me.

I had bizarre side effects when I first started taking it, but I didn't know they were from the drug. I attributed the behavioral changes to the traumatic events in my life. Then there was a period of three years when it leveled out, and I was on a more even keel. Two years ago, however, I began to experience all sorts of symptoms similar to classic withdrawal complications. That's when I first tried to get off of it.

Knowing the condition my body is in now, I shudder to think what it would have been like had I continued the drug for another 7 years.

...the most you can hope is to be a little less, in the end, the creature you were in the beginning and the middle. -- Samuel Beckett (The Unnamable)
1998: Paxil prescribed during mother's battle with cancer.
07/03 thru 05/05: Poop out; 2 botched attempts at wd; bipolar dx; more drugs added
04/05: quit lithium, Adderall and Xanax
05/05: Began 3rd attempt at wd
07/22/05: Liberated!

http://www.benzo.org.uk
feelin'_wiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #12
MizzT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8756870
The alternative for taking Paxil, is getting Depression and Anxiety again, and they are causing damage to me, anyway.
why is the ONLY alternative you can see to paxil....getting depression and anxiety again?

how about DOING something to help the body not get depression and anxiety.
Magnesium supplements
Fish Oil with Omega 3 fatty acids.
Water
sleep
sex
exercise
all these things are alternatives to paxil.

the damage the paxil causes does not just cause anxiety and depression....more than likely the depletion of minerals and nutrients is what perpetuates those symptoms. the damage the paxil causes is more based in the brain and liver....and possibly other organs. The long term recovery will happen when you are getting proper nutrition and the body is functioning well to get rid of the toxin introduced to the system.
then the body has to repair synaptic pathways and receptor downregulation. that can take a long while. the brain heals slowly. the best way to heal the brain is to get proper nutrition, exercise, no stress, and sleep, in order to synthesize neurotransmitters. positive thinking, positive affirmations, EFT can help facilitate the process.
MizzT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 02:31 PM   #13
angels

Quote:
I'm asking because, I read the article about fertility and Paxil, which suggested that Paxil creates hormone who changes the DNA of the sperm- in mice.
And I wonder if I will stop taking Paxil for few days,than the body is free from Paxil doses? I know it takes a year to get rid of the symptoms.
But what about the substance? Does it disappear after a few days?
Thanks for your attention.
Hi, if I understand your question right, here's my thoughts from reading about this for a long time.

It appears from people's experiences here that the effects of Paxil can take up to 18 months to go away. And you are right, Paxil does affect hormones as well as other systems. All of the systems that have been compromised by Paxil have to readjust to a healthy normal operation. Maybe it's more correct to say that the affects of Paxil on the body last as long as the symptoms. But, then, you have the liver question. The liver does its best to flush out Paxil from the first dose you take. When you quit taking Paxil, some people have Paxil in the liver for a long time. This affects the whole body also. Who knows? I'd say it depends on how quickly your liver gets rid of what it considers poison.

Quote:
Very true. That is the dilemma, isn't it? As Scotty said, initial depression and anxiety is due to withdrawal and this can last a year. But then, what about non-paxil related depression and anxiety? Yeah, that's a tough one. The answer is life makeover and learning how to outwit it. Live as healthy a life as you can, get a book about specific diets for depression and anxiety, live your purpose in life, and explore the motto of this site, Freedom is In You. A very good therapist can work with you to help with all of this. The founder of this site, after going through a very challenging withdrawal from Paxil. learned how to work with his anxiety so that it didn't damage his life - in fact, taught him a lot that changed his life for the better. For more on this search for posts by Darcyb.

There is more than lies within those shiny brochures in the a pharma reps' trunk.Sometimes you have to look beyond the marketing machine to get the facts. Laurie Yorke
angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 03:55 PM   #14
safarigal

My thoughts on depression and anxiety.

Its entirely my choice on how I want to live my life. If I choose to be depressed and anxious then that's what I'll be. If I choose not to look inside myself for the root cause of my anxiety and/or depression then I will never find the source and thus never heal myself of it.

Overcoming depression and anxiety takes guts, determination and will. It takes overcoming the fear of the unknown, overcoming fear of change, overcoming fear of failure.

None of this can be obtained in a pill.

Its taken me years to find myself and my personal freedom.

Forum Rules

Withdrawal FAQ
Old 08-21-2005, 03:58 PM   #15
feelin'_wiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by safarigal
Overcoming depression and anxiety takes guts, determination and will.
Three things the drug robs from us.

...the most you can hope is to be a little less, in the end, the creature you were in the beginning and the middle. -- Samuel Beckett (The Unnamable)
07/03 thru 05/05: Poop out; 2 botched attempts at wd; bipolar dx; more drugs added

Old 08-21-2005, 04:43 PM   #16

Well I must say it sounds convincing.
The sad part is that I have never been more happy in my life than know, with Paxil.
You say it's denial? Maybe, but I can say for sure- I am happy, first time it happened to me.
You ask me why? I don't know, but the therapy and the Paxil I'm taking, led me to a place that I know where it leads and it has no ending. Just pure consciousness of who I am and what is my purpose. Life and death is only a small part of it.
Osho said once that happiness is dangerous because it is addictive.
You need to reborn few times in order to appreciate it.
I hope I can re-establish my life without Paxil/Paxxet, the way I mastered it with it.
Quitting Paxil for me will be saying goodbye to a very good friend. A FRIEND IN NEED.
And this friend is damn hard to say goodbye to.
You know better than me. Even for only 48 hours.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:11 PM   #17
angels

Quote:
Well I must say it sounds convincing.
The sad part is that I have never been more happy in my life than know, with Paxil.
You say it's denial? Maybe, but I can say for sure- I am happy, first time it happened to me.
You ask me why? I don't know, but the therapy and the Paxil I'm taking, led me to a place that I know where it leads and it has no ending. Just pure consciousness of who I am and what is my purpose. Life and death is only a small part of it.
Osho said once that happiness is dangerous because it is addictive.
You need to reborn few times in order to appreciate it.
I hope I can re-establish my life without Paxil/Paxxet, the way I mastered it with it.
Quitting Paxil for me will be saying goodbye to a very good friend. A FRIEND IN NEED.
And this friend is damn hard to say goodbye to.
You know better than me. Even for only 48 hours.
Very well put. You know more than you think. And, like many others, Paxil just might be a step in your journey of self awareness just as it was for many on this site. And no one can take another person's shortcut, can they? But.... this site can give you a lot of raw material for you to use as you explore. Check out the Books link at the top of the page to see if you might find something useful.

Osho is right. And yet there also exists a contentment that comes from an inner confidence to meet life head on with it's sorrows and joy. You are further along than you think.

There is more than lies within those shiny brochures in the a pharma reps' trunk.Sometimes you have to look beyond the marketing machine to get the facts. Laurie Yorke
Old 08-21-2005, 05:11 PM   #18
Delynbetter

It is totally your decision! We have our own reasons for not continuing on the medications. You just have to educate yourself, compare what you learn with what your are experiencing and go from there.

I would have stayed on it also had my husband come home demanding that I stopped taking it. It was about 2 days later that the reality of THAT set in, hence my journey to get off and stay off.

You make your own decision with the knowledge you can acquire here and from other resources. I wish you the best of luck no matter which road you choose!
Delynbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 05:50 PM   #19

Suffering from physical pain is different from suffering in my mind.
I don't care about pain as long I can have my clear mind going this journey with me.
The problem of withdrawal from Paxil, Is that your mind is turning against you.
It's dealing with feelings of hate, not even fear. You hate yourself, the people you love, and mostly you hate life. For NO REASON. And when it happens you want to kill someone. And it feels like its the right feeling. Even if you know its not true.
Loosing Clarity of the right way, is surely a big burden.
It's almost unthinkable. To lose all the love and happiness you gained with so much hard work, for feelings like suffering and hatred, you are not even aware of your ability to produce. Only because you came up to the conclusion that Paxil is bad for you.
Bad or Good.
Isn't it Ironic.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdelynwell
It is totally your decision! We have our own reasons for not continuing on the medications. You just have to educate yourself, compare what you learn with what your are experiencing and go from there.

I would have stayed on it also had my husband come home demanding that I stopped taking it. It was about 2 days later that the reality of THAT set in, hence my journey to get off and stay off.

You make your own decision with the knowledge you can acquire here and from other resources. I wish you the best of luck no matter which road you choose!
I was interested to know why did your husband demand it?
What was wrong with you taking the pill?
Old 08-21-2005, 06:35 PM   #21
safarigal

Quote:
It's almost unthinkable. To lose all the love and happiness you gained with so much hard work, for feelings like suffering and hatred, you are not even aware of your ability to produce. Only because you came up to the conclusion that Paxil is bad for you.
Bad or Good.
Isn't it Ironic.
What is even more ironic is that the clarity we perceive we have while on Paxil is only an illusion.

I learned many things about myself while I was on Paxil. But it wasn't until I was totally off Paxil that what I had learned truly became clear to me.

The only thing to fear in withdrawing from Paxil is fear itself.

Forum Rules

Withdrawal FAQ
Old 08-21-2005, 06:53 PM   #22
feelin'_wiggy

Quote:
Suffering from physical pain is different from suffering in my mind.
I don't care about pain as long I can have my clear mind going this journey with me.
The problem of withdrawal from Paxil, Is that your mind is turning against you.
It's dealing with feelings of hate, not even fear. You hate yourself, the people you love, and mostly you hate life. For NO REASON. And when it happens you want to kill someone. And it feels like its the right feeling. Even if you know its not true.
Bad or Good.
Isn't it Ironic.
I beg to differ. My mind is not turning against me. It's turning back to its unaltered state. If that process releases negative emotions, so be it. That is temporary.

I don't hate myself. On the contrary. And because I love myself, I am learning a new respect for myself. My spirit is beautiful in its natural form. To pollute it with a synthetic chemical is to debase its very essence.

You speak of clarity. The truth has never been clearer to me. I want to kill no one, nor is there hatred in my heart. Anger, yes. I wish I had never heard of this poison. But would it be better to hide my anger in a drug induced euphoria? I think not.

No love has been lost in my life. True love emerges from adversity ever stronger. If I ever did anything to destroy love in my life, it was while under the influence of the drug.

The drug decided it was bad for me when it turned against me two years ago. Only then did I reach the same conclusion.

Live your life as you choose, but please do not presume to know my reality.

Old 08-21-2005, 07:17 PM   #23
angels

I don't think this poster is claiming to know anyone's reality. He is baring his soul here. I took Paxil 3 days and got the picture right away. But for many, Paxil is a journey to where they are now.

I certainly can't speak for the poster - I can only give my impressions. I believe that Paxil opened a door for him to see himself another way. This is actually a wonderful result and it could be that this glimpse is propelling him to explore his journey in a way that he would never have done otherwise. I know it is very, very difficult for folks including myself to see someone struggling with something that our own experience has revealed to us.

But he is listening and responding to everything here. Some people don't; he is. I myself often don't know how to respond to folks who are using Paxil and think it is right for them and I often think after the fact that I might have responded differently.

I find his post fto be a very personal version of what it means to be on a spiritual journey. And, in a certain sense, I do understand how someone might find love on Paxil. We don't ever know why, but perhaps it can give someone the courage to love without fear for the first time. And once that door is open, they can finally affored to wonder about the possibility of loving without fear and without Paxil.

That's what we're all doing.

Old 08-21-2005, 07:22 PM   #24
Delynbetter

Quote:
I was interested to know why did your husband demand it?
What was wrong with you taking the pill?
My husband is a physician. He went to a continuing education conference one night sponsored by University of California San Diego. It was all about the horrible things with SSRI's, Paxil & Effexor in paticular. He hadn't known these things when I began the medication and he wanted me to quit as soon as he learned.

They just didn't bother to tell them anything about the need to taper, hence my 12-day cold-turkey withdrawal hell.
Delynbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 10:08 PM   #25
Freedom

I'm about nine weeks Paxil free and I wouldn't start taking any other kind of anti depressant if someone even tried to force me. There is no way in or out of hell that I want any of those poisons in my body. It has been very difficult in every way, financial, personal, employment wise, everything has been hit hard, but "I say NO to Paxil" and I can honestly say "forever".
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote