our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
nickyvw

Suggestions for Neurontin (Gabapentin) taper?

Hi all. I am on Paxil (which I will be weaning off of someday). My doctor wants to wean me off Neurontin first, though. Does anybody have any suggestions for weaning off of Neurontin? I take 300 mg, 3x/day (900 total). I feel as if my doctor's weaning schedule is a little too quick. I know my body from coming off of Ativan and Percocet and the major withdrawals I had. My withdrawals from my previous attempt from quitting Paxil were EXACTLY the same as when I stopped Ativan and Percocet. I've been reading that Neurontin withdrawal is very similar to Paxil withdrawal. Can anyone give me any ideas how to wean slowly off of my Neurontin? Any suggestions will be appreciated. I just want to take this very slowly, because I have VERY sensitive. My main withdrawal symptoms are flu-like and MAJOR depression with suicidal thoughts. Thanks much.

~Nicky

Slow and steady wins the race
Old 09-30-2005, 07:41 PM   #2
elisa

Re: Suggestions for Neurontin (Gabapentin) taper?

Hi Nicky.

Personally, I dodn't have any experience with Neurontin so I can't tell you anything about it. With antidepressants I would taper at a rate of 10% of the full dose and take at least 3-4 weeks in between taperings.

I did find a link though that may help you.
http://www.crazymeds.org/ Scroll down on the left side of the page and click on Neurontin.
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
Old 09-30-2005, 09:52 PM   #3
nickyvw

Thanks, Elisa. I will check it out...

Old 09-30-2005, 09:58 PM   #4
scotty
Administrator

I can only relate my husbands Neurontin experience. He just stopped it. No wean, nothing. Didn't have any problems at all. He had been on it for a year. I haven't heard of Neurontin having any withdrawal problems, so the weaning schedule that you got will probably not be a problem.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
Old 09-30-2005, 10:54 PM   #5
ScottK

Hi NickyVW.
I am also in Minnesota.

I was put on Neurontin a couple of years ago when I came down with GBS (Guillain Barre Syndrome).

As you probably know, Neorontin helps you handle nerve pain,
and you can be put on a very very high dosages.

Nearly all GBS'ers have to go on very high doses of Neurontin,
(3600+ mg) because of all the nerve pain GBS causes, so they will
have the best opinions of how to best withdrawal from it.

You should check out:
http://www.guillain-barre.com/forums/
And go into the GBS - Adult Forum.

I was on a lower dose of Neurontin compared to you, (600mg), but I just went cold turkey last year withdrawing from it. I didn't suffer any side effects.

Scott
Old 10-02-2005, 10:08 AM   #6
nickyvw

Thanks for the replies. I've been doing research, and found that many people have similar withdrawals from Neurontin as they do from Paxil. As an experiment, I skipped my dose last night. Wrong decision! I feel okay now that I took my morning dose, but I got majorly depressed and flu-like in the middle of the night. It was horrible. Since Neurontin works on the brain signals and such, I'm assuming I better wean VERY slowly, since I withdraw from meds horribly. I wonder if it's because of my size. I'm 5'0" and 110 pounds. Anyway, I will go back to my doc and start a slow weaning process, and then wait a while to start my Paxil weaning. I have a long way to go...

Old 10-02-2005, 12:04 PM   #7
Pat Shields
Ms. Pee Pee!!

I was on high doses of Neurontin for severe multiple sclerosis pain (1800 mg or more a day). I must say it worked. But the mental fog got too bad, and something had to give, and I knew I could live with the pain, but I couldn't function with the fog, so one day I just quit taking it. After about 2 days the fog cleared, and a good thing is that the specific pain has never returned. I never had any withdrawal symptoms or difficulties.
Closed Thread