our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 10-07-2005, 12:36 PM   #1
pinusconus

Extreme Fatigue and Insomnia

Paxil was a godsend for three years. Now I'm dozing off driving and feeling extreme fatigue during the day. At night, can't sleep for more than an hour or two. I'm hoping to wean myself off my daily 20 mg to get some relief. Any advise? Focusing is also difficult. I am a newby here
pinusconus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #2
Dave-O

Re: Extreme Fatigue and Insomnia

Welcome

I had same problems with Paxil after only about 1 yr. To wean off, you MUST read the FAQ page and do it very slowly. You may still experience some bad withdrawl problems but it is far away the BEST method. I know from experience having done so myself and completely off since mid-August of this year.

It can be a long road to follow but it is the better way to live. Good luck and God Bless.
Dave-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
special k

Welcome! I am a newby too... I never felt that way while on Paxil, in fact, the only reason I'm going off it is to get pregnant, but I now have the insomnia. The only advice I have is to definitely read all about weaning yourself off slowly and hopefully with the help of a good doctor. There are so many amazing threads here that discuss exactly how to taper down. Insomnia is awful... I have recently started to try Valerian root and I hope that will help. You can do a search on "Valerian" to read up on it... good luck and welcome to this wonderful community!
Did slow liquid taper from 8 ml (equal to 16 mg) starting in November. Finished last .5 ml dose on March 29, 2006 after tapering 1 ml every few weeks. Withdrawal has created bad depression on and off.

Trying to live in the present moment, and not dwell on the past or worry about the future!
special k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:42 PM   #4
Dave-O

Welcome

I had same problems with Paxil after only about 1 yr. To wean off, you MUST read the FAQ page and do it very slowly. You may still experience some bad withdrawl problems but it is far away the BEST method. I know from experience having done so myself and completely off since mid-August of this year.

BTW, come here anytime to share and ask. I've found everyone here to be helpful and understanding, including humorous posts that helped me thru the pain.

It can be a long road to follow but it is the better way to live. Good luck and God Bless.
Dave-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 01:05 PM   #5
pinusconus

Thank you for the Welcomes. I've been reading the good advise on this site for the past two days. I'm trying to understand why others decide to withdraw after taking Paxil for several years. Is it because it stops working? For me, the sleepiness started about a year ago. I've been happy with the absense of anxiety and panic and hope that doesn't return.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:50 PM   #6
Pat Shields
Ms. Pee Pee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinusconus
Thank you for the Welcomes. I've been reading the good advise on this site for the past two days. I'm trying to understand why others decide to withdraw after taking Paxil for several years. Is it because it stops working? For me, the sleepiness started about a year ago. I've been happy with the absense of anxiety and panic and hope that doesn't return.
The sleepiness hit me two weeks into it.That's when I started gaining the weight, too. And the weight is why I quit. Paxil did make me feel better and kept me from killing somebody, I think, or at least it kept the people in the laundromat safe from me. But the weight was just too much to bear.
Pat Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:58 PM   #7
elisa

During the 10 years on these antidepressants, I felt extremely fatigued mentally and physically. Slept at least 14-18 hours daily and could have gone to 24 without any problems.
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 01:52 PM   #8
pinusconus

I was so thrilled to be finally relieved of anxiety, I tolerated a 40-lb weight gain, sleepless nights and constant fatigue during the day. I thought the peace of mind was worth the price. Does anxiety necessarily return after paxil withdrawal?
Old 10-08-2005, 04:22 PM   #9
babs
"dare to suck big!"

During withdrawal it is typical to experience levels of anxiety and depression far greater than what you felt before Paxil. That's what makes it so hard to quit, and why a lot of people give up and go back to the drug. But if you stick it out it gets better over time; you have to be patient. I never had a whole of lot of anxiety before Paxil (I was prescribed for depression) but I have had a LOT of it since I stopped Paxil. I recognize it as part of withdrawal and am riding it out.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
2 failed attempts to quit
Tapered Jan-April 2005 (because I didn't know better!)
Paxil-free since May 1, 2005
babs is offline   Reply With Quote