our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 10-14-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
Sage

Neurologist Says "NO" to Paxil

This was a while ago but I thought I'd share.
Like many who have gone to a neurologist during withdrawal, I went b/c I thought I had neve damage, MS, etc. This was during protracted Ambien withdrawal. Anyway, I told her that I had been suffering from relentless anxiety for a long while and was considering an SSRI. I asked her if any caused neurological problems and she said "Yes -- Paxil -- it has now been proven -- stay away from that one".
Old 10-14-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
elisa

Re: Neurologist Says "NO" to Paxil

Thanks for sharing!

I believe though that not only Paxil causes damage but virtually all the brands. Afterall, these antidepressants are very much alike with only minor differences. Why else would people on other brands experience similar (withdrawl) side-effects. They're really not that selective as their name implies.

Since you asked the neurologist specifically about Paxil, he gave you a specific Paxil answer.

In the end we get what we didn't bargain for.
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:53 PM   #3
Sage

Actually - I didn't mention Paxil, she offered it -- saying that tests have shown damage and twitching as a result of Paxil use. She said there wasn't evidence of this with Prozac and Zoloft but she ended up recommending Lexapro which I tried and it induced panic attacks on top of my anxiety!!!
Old 10-14-2005, 02:01 PM   #4
elisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
Actually - I didn't mention Paxil, she offered it -- saying that tests have shown damage and twitching as a result of Paxil use. She said there wasn't evidence of this with Prozac and Zoloft but she ended up recommending Lexapro which I tried and it induced panic attacks on top of my anxiety!!!
I'm very curious as to find out where the research is buried amongst the (hundreds of )thousands of papers.

If tests show neurological damage with Paxil then it should be properly shown on Paxil's label. Haven't seen a Paxil label though. If it's not, could it be another hiding of evidence, or just considered as anecdotal?
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
Old 10-14-2005, 02:33 PM   #5
robnmich

sorta funny how this info filters through to some drs and others seem to know nothing about withdrawals or perm damage
Old 10-14-2005, 02:36 PM   #6
scotty
Administrator

What I find interesting is that we're hearing most of the neurological damage from neurologists. Lets face it, that's who the patient will ultimately end up going to with the symptoms that paxil withdrawal causes. It's psychiatry that consistently denies the problems with paxil... not they're going to have to deny the problem to the experts who are seeing the problems firsthand. Denial only goes so far when a neurologists practice is full of people with the same symptoms.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:47 PM   #7
robnmich

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty
Denial only goes so far when a neurologists practice is full of people with the same symptoms.

True- doesnt take a rocket scientist to see the connection- esp since some of the symtoms are sooooo unusual- like the zaps
Old 10-14-2005, 03:02 PM   #8
hope

I was finally sent to a neurologist after a year of this hell and of course, all findings negative. He suggested I see another neurologist but I thought, "what the hell for?" But this was a year ago. So many changes have occured since two years ago when I first quit. Then, NOBODY knew about or even acknowledged any of this. I'm glad doctors are starting to learn and acknowledge this. Another doctor told me I had brain damage and a seizure disorder but wouldn't admit that Paxil was the culprit.

I called the pharmacist and needed a refill for my clonazepam. I told him I wanted to get .5 mg. pills rather than the 1 mg. pills so I could cut them easier. He gave me the "does your doctor know about this?" la de da. Then he asked me why I was taking the clonazepam and I said, "Seizures caused by Paxil withdrawal." He said, "Ahhhhhh ok." He asked how long I'd been off Paxil and I said, "Two years." He said, "You have to taper off that you know." I said two years ago no one knew nothing and if they did, they weren't telling anybody. I told him I was going to contact my doctor but only had two pills (clonazepam) left. Funny he said, "You know you have to taper off the clonazepam slowly as well." and I said, "Yeah I know alot about these drugs now thank you. It was an education I wished I didn't have to receive."

"I never cared much for flim flam doctors." (Doctor Baker, Little House on the Prairie).

Put on Paxil in 1996 for Post-partum depression. After 5th withdrawal attempt, went into severe debilitating withdrawal, restarted Paxil in the ER which didn't work anymore. Taken off again quickly by a shrink, started on Lexapro. Body rejected all drugs except benzos. Currently off all drugs. I'd say I'm recovered. Yeah, I'd say so.
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 03:10 PM   #9
zappelina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage

I take it she hasnīt read the doctorīs reports about Zoloft induced parkinsonism and Parkinsonīs disease, there are a few of them out there. Nerve system side effects have been reported for all the ADs, mainly extrapyramidal damage of different kinds.

2004 tapered Zoloft too quickly after sudden onset of muscle stiffness and extreme restlessness on full dose. Severe and prolonged WD problem with a long list of symptoms. Considerable mental but very little physical improvement so far. Last Zoloft dose April 18 2004.
zappelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 03:28 PM   #10
txguy

Is the damage the neurologist mentioned reversible or correctable?

TXGuy
txguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 04:34 PM   #11
Shellshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy
Is the damage the neurologist mentioned reversible or correctable?

TXGuy
This is a question i'd really like to hear some opinions on, i'm really worried about how this is going to affect me in the future, later on in my life. Although i'm trying not to worry too much about the future, i'm still struggling with the present and that's enough.

Shellshock
Seroxat Free since Sept 2004

Nov 2007 - Still having difficult time and w/d nowhere near complete as yet
Shellshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 04:43 PM   #12
hope

The doctor who told me I had brain damage said he didn't think it was permanent. He did say that any illness can bring about the death of some brain cells.

"I never cared much for flim flam doctors." (Doctor Baker, Little House on the Prairie).

Put on Paxil in 1996 for Post-partum depression. After 5th withdrawal attempt, went into severe debilitating withdrawal, restarted Paxil in the ER which didn't work anymore. Taken off again quickly by a shrink, started on Lexapro. Body rejected all drugs except benzos. Currently off all drugs. I'd say I'm recovered. Yeah, I'd say so.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:28 PM   #13
paxilgirl
"Stinks of lavender"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope
I was finally sent to a neurologist after a year of this hell and of course, all findings negative. He suggested I see another neurologist but I thought, "what the hell for?" But this was a year ago. So many changes have occured since two years ago when I first quit. Then, NOBODY knew about or even acknowledged any of this. I'm glad doctors are starting to learn and acknowledge this. Another doctor told me I had brain damage and a seizure disorder but wouldn't admit that Paxil was the culprit.

I called the pharmacist and needed a refill for my clonazepam. I told him I wanted to get .5 mg. pills rather than the 1 mg. pills so I could cut them easier. He gave me the "does your doctor know about this?" la de da. Then he asked me why I was taking the clonazepam and I said, "Seizures caused by Paxil withdrawal." He said, "Ahhhhhh ok." He asked how long I'd been off Paxil and I said, "Two years." He said, "You have to taper off that you know." I said two years ago no one knew nothing and if they did, they weren't telling anybody. I told him I was going to contact my doctor but only had two pills (clonazepam) left. Funny he said, "You know you have to taper off the clonazepam slowly as well." and I said, "Yeah I know alot about these drugs now thank you. It was an education I wished I didn't have to receive."
Funny you mention clonazepam....my doc initially prescribed 10mgs of Paxil AND clonazepam .5mgs and said to take them when I couldn't sleep. My paxil dosage subsequently got upped to 30mgs and I started taking two of the clonazepam... 0.5 mgs didn't work anymore. Mind you, I didn't take it everyday and stopped during my weaning, but once, I took it while weaning (I was below 10mgs of Paxil) and suffering from extreme insomnia and the stuff literally knocked me out and I coudln't get up in the morning....that scared me...I never took it again.

Put on Paxil for situational depression in August 2003. Was also on .5 mg of Clonozapem.
Started on 10mg and increased to 30mg.
Weaned off during the summer of 2004.
Became PAXIL FREE October 4, 2004.
Completely recovered!!!

When you stop learning, you start dying.
paxilgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:05 PM   #14
MicheleT

I feel like I've had brain damage due to paxil. I'm left with a permanent eyelid twitch and numbness in one of my fingers. All happened when w/d from paxil. It's almost like this 'secret society' has hold of the facts and a member occasionally leaks out something. I feel like there is a world of knowledge on SSRI's out there that is unobtainable. Sorry, I rambling.

Paxil (Aropax) free since January 2, 2005
Paxil free for 7 1/2 months
On Lexapro since August 14, 2005
MicheleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:06 PM   #15
eileen

I had an MRI on my brain, which showed lesions that my neuro said was nothing. The last time I saw him, I told him my psychiatrist told me the electric shocks going up my arm, were from Paxil. He said no it is not, if that were from Paxil, you would be really sick. Then he saw me jerking my head and he actually laughed and said "wht's that your doing with your neck there" he laughed and I felt embarassment. Smart aye. I hope this is not permanent damage. I'm feeling too ill to be angry.
It is good to come here, I'm seeing other people with the same symptons.
eileen
eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 11:04 PM   #16
paxilgirl
"Stinks of lavender"

Nervous twitches were never an issue with me...however, I get nervous more quickly and I actually "tremble" a lot more when I'm anxious....I've NEVER trebmbled pre-paxil.

I understand feeling brain damaged....sometimes I do, althought neurologically, I haven't suffered as much as a lot of people here, but I do still feel my brain is altered somehow. Does that make sense?

Put on Paxil for situational depression in August 2003. Was also on .5 mg of Clonozapem.
Started on 10mg and increased to 30mg.
Weaned off during the summer of 2004.
Became PAXIL FREE October 4, 2004.
Completely recovered!!!

When you stop learning, you start dying.
paxilgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 11:37 PM   #17
hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleT
I feel like I've had brain damage due to paxil. I'm left with a permanent eyelid twitch and numbness in one of my fingers. All happened when w/d from paxil. It's almost like this 'secret society' has hold of the facts and a member occasionally leaks out something. I feel like there is a world of knowledge on SSRI's out there that is unobtainable. Sorry, I rambling.
My left side of my face would twitch til I started the clonazepam. The clonazepam calmed it down. Actually my whole body twitched, convulsed off and on. Rambling is totally welcome here. I'm a professional rambler.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:39 PM   #18
hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxilgirl
Funny you mention clonazepam....my doc initially prescribed 10mgs of Paxil AND clonazepam .5mgs and said to take them when I couldn't sleep. My paxil dosage subsequently got upped to 30mgs and I started taking two of the clonazepam... 0.5 mgs didn't work anymore. Mind you, I didn't take it everyday and stopped during my weaning, but once, I took it while weaning (I was below 10mgs of Paxil) and suffering from extreme insomnia and the stuff literally knocked me out and I coudln't get up in the morning....that scared me...I never took it again.

Funny, the paxil knocked me out for two weeks. Never took a benzo in my life. But back then, Paxil was pretty safe, NOT!

Old 10-15-2005, 02:01 AM   #19
elisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxilgirl
It seems that Paxil had a stimulating effect on you. That must have been the reason for prescribing clonazepam and having to double it up. Psychiatry says that depression and anxiety often co-exist.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:00 AM   #20
Pat Shields
Ms. Pee Pee!!

I would like to have a copy of just a small article or analysis by a neurologist or neurologists stating that SSRIs cause neurological damage. I was given Paxil partly because I had central nervous system damage to begin with. If GSK won't cover the damage, maybe the people who gave it to me will. I have appointments with my neurologist and mental health people on Monday. It would be nice to take something to them.
Pat Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 09:20 AM   #21
eileen

Pat, it would be wonderful to see neurologists stand up and say that. They would certainly be heroes in the eyes of the world. I hope you get what you are looking for. There is no harm in asking, he or she can only say No or Yes. If my neck jerking dosen't go away I'm going to see a neurologist away from here. I saw the two that we have and they don't know anything. Good Luck.
eileen
eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 01:45 PM   #22
elisa

I never understood why psychiatry would treat "chemical imbalances" in the brain anyway. I believe that real chemical imbalances should be treated by neurologists to begin with...

Ofcourse the "chemical imbalance" myth about mental health issues touted by psychiatrists gives them more "credibility and status".
Old 10-15-2005, 03:34 PM   #23
sheacarney

Quote:
I had an MRI on my brain, which showed lesions that my neuro said was nothing.
Me too. I had two "brain spots," which, from what I've gathered could be migraine spots, leisons, or tiny strokes. I have no basis for comparison, so who knows how long I've had them. I've never had an MRI, prior to Paxil.......there was no reason; I had no concerns. I've said this before, but I REALLY, REALLY have to wonder if Paxil can create a psuedo form of MS, as it does psuedoparkinson's, with which I was diagnosed at about three/four months into withdrawal. I do believe it's possible this poison can burn holes in your brain, perhaps it the result of withdrawing cold turkey???? It's NO coincidence that I fell off the proverbial cliff of good health when I quit Paxil. It was like a switch was flipped.

All that said, my neurologist said he thought I just had migraine spots and I needed to get off my birth control pills because he felt my blood vessels were being weakened by the estrogen. He's guessing. Doctors don't have a clue about the far reaching effect the SSRIs have on the brain. Everything is speculative, period.

Drug free since April 12th, 2005
sheacarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 03:53 PM   #24
Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheacarney
I REALLY, REALLY have to wonder if Paxil can create a psuedo form of MS
I think the answer is yes. There is a huge overlap in symptoms... The question is...is it due to 1) reversible functional changes in neurotransmitters, 2) reversible structural changes to neurons, or 3) white matter pathology. My bet would be on numbers 1 and 2. I've taken antidepressants for 18 years and no white matter hyperintensities were reported on my imaging studies.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 05:24 PM   #25
silence4now

I thought the worst of my twitching was at 3 months off Paxil until just last month. It is now the worst ever. I can really detect it when I lay down at night and get completely still. I am really starting to believe that my organs and other tissues are releasing more of the Paxil now that I am loosing weight and detoxing more.
silence4now is offline   Reply With Quote