our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Methods of Wellbeing
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Methods of Wellbeing A discussion on how you're managing your state of health (herbs, vitamins, acupuncture, chiropractic etc.) NO LINKING TO COMMERCIAL SITES PLEASE. Paxilprogress does not investigate nor endorse any supplement program.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 11-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #51
babs
"dare to suck big!"

Re: Omega info...All in one Thread.

Thanks for your input, Alto. I think I'll stick with my high EPAs for now as it seems to be working.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
2 failed attempts to quit
Tapered Jan-April 2005 (because I didn't know better!)
Paxil-free since May 1, 2005
babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #53
elixirmonkii

Ralph Holman of the University of Minnesota, another major researcher in studying essential fatty acids, who gave Omega-3 its name, surmised how n−3 components are analogous to the human brain by stating that "DHA is structure, EPA is function."
A benefit of n−3 fatty acids is helping the brain to repair damage by promoting neuronal growth.[34] In a six-month study involving people with schizophrenia and Huntington's disease who were treated with EPA or a placebo, the placebo group had clearly lost cerebral tissue, while the patients given the supplements had a significant increase of grey and white matter.[64]
In the prefrontal cortex (PFC) of the brain, low brain n−3 fatty acids are thought to lower the dopaminergic neurotransmission in this brain area, possibly contributing to the negative and neurocognitive symptoms in schizophrenia. This reduction in dopamine system function in the PFC may lead to an overactivity in dopaminergic function in the limbic system of the brain which is suppressively controlled by the PFC dopamine system, causing the positive symptoms of schizophrenia. This is called the n−3 polyunsaturated fatty acid/dopamine hypothesis of schizophrenia (Ohara, 2007). This mechanism may explain why n−3 supplementation shows effects against both positive, negative and neurocognitive symptoms in schizophrenia.

First 2 years:

Extreme Derealization/DP
Extreme agitation & akathisia
Unable to understand people
Severe negative thoughts.
Constant restlessness inside, anxiety & agitation, and anhedonia.

Now: 85% stable
elixirmonkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #54
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

This is another good article and excerpt:

http://www.alaskaseafood.org/health/..._fishplant.pdf

EPA and DHA have special functions in the body. DHA is
highly concentrated in the brain, where it helps brain
cells communicate with each other and protects them
from harmful substances, such as those in Alzheimer’s
disease. It is concentrated in the retina of the eye, where
it is critical for visual function. EPA is important for
healthy blood vessels, heart health, and brain function. It
also has anti-inflammatory and anti-clotting properties
that favor a healthy heart and brain.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #56
inlimbo

so is the consensus that EPA is what we want for brain function? .
inlimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #57
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

It's up to you.

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Old 11-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #58
inlimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrawford67 View Post
It's up to you.

ok thanks.. I'll try high EPA since those are the ones I bought.. 660 mg EPA in each capsule. ty
inlimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #59
elixirmonkii

Quote:
Originally Posted by been there done that View Post

The clinic did some testing and told me that I had an injury that had affected the limbic system of my brain.
Drug-induced changes would likely show up the same way as physical injury. They would both likely cause the same shrinkage or abnormalities in neurons. It would be near impossible to distinguish one type from the other since it is all based on molecular electrical activity.

First 2 years:

Extreme Derealization/DP
Extreme agitation & akathisia
Unable to understand people
Severe negative thoughts.
Constant restlessness inside, anxiety & agitation, and anhedonia.

Now: 85% stable
elixirmonkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #60
Mixter

Phospholipide form of Krill oil is direct utilized as the body/brain cells/membrans is phospholipide based and it therefore can pass the barrier easy as when the body/brain cells require it.

Could anyone test Krill oil and speak about the differences with Omega-3?
It also contains other substances that are not there in normal Omega-3, like Omega-6, Omega-9,
it is more natural composition of what the body needs to make most use of it.

interesting read: (non commercial link)
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...than-fish-oil/

cut from neptune krill oil, hope it is ok information here

Independent testing reveals the antioxidant power of NKO® to be:

* Over 300 times greater than Vitamins A & E.
* Over 48 times greater than Omega-3 Fish Oil.
* Over 34 times greater than Co Q-10.

Oxygen Radical Absorption Capactiy (ORAC)
Neptune Krill Oil Vs. Other oils
Superior Antioxidant Potency

Neptune Krill Oil: The only omega-3 source offering:

* First and Only Clinically proven Omega-3 Marine Phospholipids
* Omega-3 EPA/ DHA functionalized marine phospholipids and potent antioxidants
* Proprietary Composition
* Sourced from Antartic Krill (most abundant biomass)
* Superior bioavailability
* Clinically proven health benefits at recommended daily intake
* Validated safety and long term stability
* No trans fat
* No reflux
* No heavy metals / no dioxins
* No detected allergen

Highly competitive product profile

* Unique composition
* Superior bioavailability
* Low therapeutic dose starting at 300mg, superior compliance
* Validated safety and long term stability

Clinically proven efficacy

* Cholesterol management (Phase IIIa)
* Inflammation, osteoarthritis (Phase II)
* ADHD (Pilot)
* Premenstrual syndrome (Phase II)

Krill, an abundant renewable resource

Krill is a generic term used to designate all deepwater marine planktonic crustacean species. It looks like miniature shrimp, ranging between one and six centimeters in length. These 85 species represents the planet's most abundant animal biomass found in banks that may extend over several square kilometers. Neptune sources its krill from the Antarctic Ocean.

The management and control of krill harvesting is led by the 25-state member Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR), which is the official and reliable international organization responsible for krill fishery management.

* Many studies have been undertaken and they show that the biomass of Antarctic krill, one of the world's most abundant biomass, may amount to 500 million tonnes. This standing stock is subject to annual natural reproduction providing renewable krill for predation, natural mortality and human exploitation.
* The precautionary catch limit set by the CCAMLR was 6.6 million tonnes for 2008 and is reviewed annually. It was increased from 4.9 million tonnes in 2005/06 based on the results of recent surveys.
o Less than 2% of the precautionary catch limit is actually harvested, which means that the catch limit is unlikely to be reached in the foreseeable future.
o The precautionary catch limits on the krill fishery are under constant review by the Scientific Committee of CCAMLR which uses an ecosystem approach to management.
* The annual natural reproduction of Antarctic krill is at least several hundred million tonnes constantly renewing the standing stock and granting sufficient krill for all marine mammals and fish, birds and human exploitation.
o Antarctic baleen whales are estimated to consume 85 million tonnes per year.
o Less than 120,000 tonnes of the annually set total catch limit of 6.6 million tonnes are harvested by fisheries.

Since Neptune's activities rely on krill as a biomass to benefit human health, its conservation is in its foremost interest which leads the Company to continuously monitor the ecological- and environmental-friendly harvest of its krill.

PHOSPHOLIPID PROFILE g/100g
TOTAL PHOSPHOLIPIDS 42.0 ±3.0
PHOSPHATIDYLCHOLINE ≥ 80%
LYSOPHOSPHATIDYLCHOLINE 2.5-5%
PHOSPHATIDYLETHANOLAMINE 2-5%
PHOSPHATIDYLINOSITOL 1-3%
PHOSPHATIDYLSERINE 1-2%
SPHINGOMYELIN 1-2%
ANTIOXIDANTS
PIGMENTS
ESTERIFIED ASTAXANTHIN ≥ 125 mg/100g
ORAC TOTAL FL > 350.0 μmol/g
NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS g/100g
FAT ≥ 98.0
TOTAL LIPIDS AS FATTY ACIDS 79.0 ±3.0
SATURATED 29.0 ±2.5
POLYUNSATURATED 31.5 ±2.5
MONOUNSATURATED 20.0 ±4.0
FATTY ACID PROFILE
TOTAL OMEGA-3 > 30%
EPA > 15%
DHA > 9%
EPA G/100G (EXPRESSED AS TG) 13.5 ±1.0g/100g
DHA G/100G (EXPRESSED AS TG) 8.5 ±0.5g/100g
EPA G/100G (EXPRESSED AS PL) 19.5 ±1.5g/100g
DHA G/100G (EXPRESSED AS PL) 11.5 ±1.0g/100g
EPA G/100G (EXPRESSED AS FFA) 14.0 ±2.0g/100g
DHA G/100G (EXPRESSED AS FFA) 9.0 ±1.5g/100g
TOTAL OMEGA-6 2.0 ±0.3%
TOTAL OMEGA-9 > 9%
TASTOT OTAL TRANS FAT < 0.1%
MINERALS mg/100g
ZINC ≥ 0.1
SODIUM ≤ 247.0
POTASSIUM ≥ 95.4
VITAMINS IU/g
A (ALL-TRANS RETINOL) ≥ 250.0
E (ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL) ≥ 0.6
STABILITY INDEXES
PEROXIDE VALUE (PV) (MEQ PEROXIDE/kg)< 0.2
p - ANISIDINE (A) < 2.1
TOTOX VALUE (2PV+A) < 2.5
OIL STABILITY INDEX HOURS AT 97.C > 50
SAPONIFICATION VALUE (mg KOH/g) 180.0 ±10.0
PHYSICAL PROPERTIES
VISCOSITY 600 ±150 cP
DENSITY 0.9671
PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION RED VISCOUS OIL
ODOR LIGHT FRESH SHRIMP

Ct benzos,Lyrica and Remeron -06/07
Ct taper Effexor 300-75mg summer -08
Ct 8 yr tobacco habit.
Reinstated too late 3 mos out.
Was upto 450 mg Effexor (equiv 120 mg Celexa).

Switched to Celexa 20mg at 23 nov 2012 because cant stand being on Effexor XR.

Diagnosed with Lyme (had it since 6 yrs old - 1987)
Treatment ongoing

30 mg Citalopram since 11th september 2014.
Still too sick - Lyme. Seroquel 100 mg.
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #61
andie42

I'm sorry - I know I must just be missing it - but tried to sift through this thread to find a suggested daily dose of Omega3 as suggested for depression.
Alas I gave up before I could find that info.
Can someone help?
Thank you
Andie

Approx.dates:
1996 - paxil 20mg.
2001 - trazadone 75-100mg. in addition to the paxil
2002 - welbutrin then zoloft - reactions to both back to Paxil
may 07 - effexor cr 37.5 then 75mg -allergic reaction
june 07 - lexapro 10mg? - to many side affects
End of june 07 back on paxil 20mg
1st wk july - paxil 10mg / trazadone 50mg
july 28 - paxil 5mg / trazadone 25mg
aug 20 - paxil 2.5 mg ish / trazadone 25mg
sept 3,07 - quit paxil / Sept 10 quit trazadone
andie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #63
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

I take 4,200 mgs a day 1,548 DHA and 999 EPA, along with 375 IUs vitamin E with tocotrienols and I have arthritis in my hip. Now, I don't know how bad the pain would be if I wasn't taking the fish oil, but I still have enough pain that I have to take Advil sometimes when the pain gets bad enough and I still have almost daily pain, even if it's not bad enough for Advil. So, while it may be good, I wouldn't say it was superior to anti inflammatories.

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Last edited by LCrawford67 : 09-18-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #64
Healing

alto and LC --

I was going to wait a little longer before posting, but it seems a bit synchronistic that you two are writing about this, and I thought it might stimulate the thinking of others for me to put my experience-so-far out there.

I have been taking 1200 mg EPA / 600 mg DHA since early in my post-taper, so late 2005, or early 2006. I intuitively credited it with lifting me out of the suicidal depression I felt late 2005 - early 2006. However, I might have come out of that phase anyway, even without the fish oil, since that was the infamous 5-9 month period.

Recently, though, I had a surprising experience. I went down on my fish oil in mid-August as an experiment to see whether it was contributing to my still bad chronic anxiety. I then proceeded to get much worse, and became suicidal again, for the first time since early 2006. After two weeks, I reinstated my usual dose of fish oil and felt better within 15 minutes. Coincidence? Placebo?

It was shocking enough, that I have decided to try going up on my fish oil to see if even more is even better. I bought a low-dose capsule that has 120 EPA / 80 DHA so I could go up slowly. I've gone up twice since 9 Sep 09. It's really too early to be sure, but I seem to be feeling better, specifically less anxious.

I am also having some bumps which feel like they might be reactions to making a change in my supplements, because they are different from my usual symptoms. So, even if fish oil is potentially very helpful to us, we have to deal with the dysautonomia element of our syndrome, which means any changes have to be done slowly and smally. I wanted to propose that some people who have not been able to tolerate fish oil, might be able to, if they were to go up very, very slowly by small increments. Also, I *think* it can take a month or more to see the full effect of an updose in fish oil.

I have been re-reading this thread as well as Googling fish oil again, and it really is remarkable what some of the studies show, but the doses referred to are far higher than the conventional paxilprogress dose of around 1000 EPA. It was a nice coincidence, alto, that you just ran into a doctor who is recommending 3000 - 4000 mg EPA + DHA. And it was further confirmation to me, LC, that you, who have been doing well in your current w/d, are taking a higher dose of 2547 mg EPA + DHA.

So, I'm writing this sort of prematurely because I was interested to hear if anyone else is taking a higher dose, and also to alert people to keeping an ear out for more information on higher dose fish oil.

BTW, Trader Joe has a good price on the 400 EPA / 200 DHA.
Healing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #65
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Glad you're feeling better, Healing! I use to take 4-5 capsules, when I was tapering, but had an issue with, ummm...oily poo. So obviously, I wasn't absorbing it all. At this dose, I have no problems, so I'm sticking with it.

Now, it was even recommended to me to go back up to 4 capsules and see if that doesn't improve the inflamation, but I haven't done that yet.

I say this all the time....there's obviously something really good about fish oil (which we already know) or pharma wouldn't be trying to hone in on it. And yes, for those who don't know, GSK has a prescription fish oil, called Lovaza.

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Old 09-21-2009, 05:43 AM   #66
jeremy9282

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrawford67 View Post
Glad you're feeling better, Healing! I use to take 4-5 capsules, when I was tapering, but had an issue with, ummm...oily poo. So obviously, I wasn't absorbing it all. At this dose, I have no problems, so I'm sticking with it.

Now, it was even recommended to me to go back up to 4 capsules and see if that doesn't improve the inflamation, but I haven't done that yet.

I say this all the time....there's obviously something really good about fish oil (which we already know) or pharma wouldn't be trying to hone in on it. And yes, for those who don't know, GSK has a prescription fish oil, called Lovaza.

Solvay also have a prescription only version used in the UK & Ireland as OMACOR

Typically prescribed at 2 to 4 off each day

The product is concentrated and contains over twice the ammount as the normal over the counter/health food store brands
jeremy9282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #67
Healing

Thanks for the good wishes, Laurie.

If, at some point, you decide you want to try going up on your fish oil again, I wonder if it might be possible to Google around and find some sort of natural solution to help with the absorption of fish oil. Like, I dunno, I'm just making this up -- something like increasing soluble fiber?

For example, throughout my w/d, chronic loose stool has limited how much magnesium I could take. A few months back, a friend suggested I eat more binding foods to address that. I increased my cheese, rice, and psyllium, and have been able to increase my magnesium further, and have gotten obvious benefit from doing so.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #69
Healing

Thanks for the good wishes, alto.

So, spell this out for me, please....How much EPA+DHA were you taking until recently? How much EPA + DHA are you now taking per day? When did you start at this new dose? And have you noticed any other benefit yet besides possibly sleeping better?

I'm really interested to see how this benefits you over the next month or so!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:20 AM   #72
pboy

I wonder if someone can help me...

My Omega 3 bottle says that each capsule contains 1,200mg fish oil, typically providing: EPA & DHA , total omega-3 fatty acids: 360mg.

I take 3-4 capsules per day.

It doesnt say how much specifically each of EPA/DHA it contains, do you think this matters? Should I get a different brand? Up my dosage?

Sorry if I seem dumb I just find it hard to make sense of this in my lexed-up brain.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:37 AM   #73
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

I don't know how much it matters, but I do question "typically providing EPA and DHA." Like, what else would it provide? It's entirely your personal choice, but if it were me, I'd get a brand that tells me exactly how much of each. Get one that is pure, from a good health food store or vitamin shop, not your local drug store.

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Old 11-01-2009, 06:57 AM   #74
pboy

Well it's from Holland & Barrett which is the most well-known health food store here in the UK. Next time I'm going to see if they do ones that label how much of each are in it. If not I'll order online.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:12 AM   #75
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

I'd just contact the makers of the fish oil and ask them if they have a break down of how much of each is in the capsules.

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07