our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Health Challenges
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health Challenges Anxiety, depression, OCD, headaches, weight and more.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 11-07-2005, 04:20 PM   #1
bugaboo76

Can I lose weight while still on Paxil?

I have been on Paxil 20mgs for about 3 years now and I'm doing great on it except for the weight gain. I weigh more now than I did the day that I had both of my children. Starting to get down about it. I'm afraid to go off my meds(I have issues with death) cause they are working so well besides the obvious. Is it possible to lose the weight while still on the meds, everything I've read on here is talking about afterwards.

Thanks
bugaboo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
elisa

Re: Can I lose weight while still on Paxil?

Antidepressants are endocrine (hormone) disruptors and mess up our metabolism. Numerous members have tried to lose weight while on Paxil but weren't successful. As docs say, if benefits outweight the side-effects...... Weight gain is one of those side-effects.
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
rdjanis
"has a lavender scented keyboard"

My daughter could not lose weight while on paxil. With no change to diet it dropped off once she left the paxil in the past.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:56 PM   #4
Katesmom

I'm convinced that you can't, at least not enough, and not keeping it off. Having said that, I think Paxil is one of the very worst with this side effect. I recommend that you discuss this with your doctor. It's possible that you could try another AD with more success, but you must keep in mind what Elisa said is very correct. If you do switch ADs, you will have to wean off of Paxil as if you are completely quitting, or you will suffer from serious withdrawal.

started Paxil Oct. 2003 for PIH
Paxil free since 19 Jul 2005

". . .the cruelest lies are often told without a word. . .the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." -- Ben Folds
Katesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:02 PM   #5
Delynbetter

I never could, but I didn't care enough about anything to even try. I don't remember ever hearing of anyone being able to lose weight while on the stuff.

Quit in May, have lost 17 pounds without really trying, only problem being that I gained 20 while on it.
Delynbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
babs
"dare to suck big!"

I lost 20 pounds while on Paxil, using Weight Watchers.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
2 failed attempts to quit
Tapered Jan-April 2005
Paxil-free since May 1, 2005
babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:09 PM   #7
Shellshock

I too couldn't loose weight whilst on Seroxat (Uk version), the weight just kept on piling on, until i quit, i'm now 14 Months free of the drug and weigh less now than what I did before I ever started the drug and haven't really done anything at all different, besides the usual anxiety and eating problems in earlier withdrawal.

I'm not saying you can't but it is very unlikely that you will be able to loose weight whilst on these drugs, this seems to one of the side effects that we all suffer from as the others do vary from person to person.
Seroxat Free since Sept 2004

Nov 2007 - Still having difficult time and w/d nowhere near complete as yet
Shellshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:34 PM   #8
mapleleafgirl25

my friend has been on paxil for 3 years and still weighs 115..she has never gained any weight on it..when i first went on it i was 100 lbs..i gained 20 lbs..when i went off of it..i lost the weight...then i got pregnant..i have had to go back on it for PPD for a short period of time..but i have already lost all of my pregnancy weight..and more..i just dont give into the cravings like i did last time..if i need something sweet i eat Special K..bars..or a couple pieces of licorish..hopefully by the time i have tapered off again..i will have lost weight...

michele
04/11/2012 - 6.0 - 3.4 - 05/05/2013 (Third year into Taper)
06/04/2013 - 3.2
07/04/2013 - 3.0
08/03/2013 - 2.8
09/03/2013 - 2.6
10/04/2013 - 2.4
11/03/2013 - 2.2
12/03/2013 - 2.0
01/02/2014 - 1.8 (4th year of taper starting and home stretch)
02/01/2014 - 1.6
03/03/2014 - 1.4
04/02/2014 - 1.2
mapleleafgirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:34 PM   #9
rdjanis

Weird how the weigh issue effects people so differently. My daughter could not lose it while on paxil, nor in withdrawal. It took a long time before the weight came off, and when it did it was all at once.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:47 PM   #10
SpeedyD

Hell yes you can lose weight. It's still calories in, calories out. I have gained and lost weight while on it (still at 5 mgs). I do attribute some gain to the Paxil but I also lost 40+ pounds by working my *** off and eating right, which is pretty much what you have to do whether you're on Paxil or not. People like to find excuses why they can't lose weight, and this is an easy one.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:30 PM   #11
ihatezaps
"Keep calm and carry on!"

I was able to lose 15 pound while on Paxil. When I first started it, I gained about 20, didn't care enough to try and lose it for a while. Then one summer I was very adament about exercising and cutting calories and I did it. I guess it is different for each person, some people cannot lose it even with exercise and diet.

Approximately 8 years Paxil 20 mg. Side effects: weight gain, personality changes, no motivation, memory loss, stomach problems, dizziness, headaches, excessive sleeping and eating, vivid dreams. Did a very slow taper, dropping 1/2 mg at a time using liquid Paxil. Paxil free as of 1/13/2007
ihatezaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:08 PM   #12
scotty
Administrator

"People like to find excuses why they can't lose weight, and this is an easy one"

Pretty harsh judgement there! My son did not change his activity level or eating habits on paxil, yet he gained 60 pounds. Off paxil with no changes in activity or eating habits he's lost 65 pounds. Yes, paxil can pack on the weight and in most it stays on until the paxil is well out of the system and hormone levels return to normal, especially cortisol. You can't exercise your cortisol level down, that needs to happen on it's own.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:35 PM   #13
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Hell yes you can lose weight. It's still calories in, calories out. I have gained and lost weight while on it (still at 5 mgs). I do attribute some gain to the Paxil but I also lost 40+ pounds by working my *** off and eating right, which is pretty much what you have to do whether you're on Paxil or not. People like to find excuses why they can't lose weight, and this is an easy one.
man i worked hard too but there are chemical changes that are brought on by paxil.. you don't just gain 70 pounds for nothing... and it wouldn't come off for anything either. Get your cortisol levels tested if you can't seem to lose the weight.. paxil disrupts cortisol. (wonder why that cortisol drug is on tv so much)

What has happened to it all?
Crazy, some are saying
Where is the life that I recognize?
Gone away

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

surviving an ssri reaction
alternative anxiety treatments
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:41 PM   #14
elisa

Quote:
While I don't deny your experience in not gaining any weight on Paxil through combining it with exercise, one cannot discount people who experienced it differently.
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:41 AM   #15
SpeedyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisa
While I don't deny your experience in not gaining any weight on Paxil through combining it with exercise, one cannot discount people who experienced it differently.
I don't discount that Paxil causes weight gain, I experienced (am experiencing) it myself. What I do discount is people who don't try. Weight loss is hard. For everybody. Have you looked around at people lately? Most of those people ain't fat because of SSRI's. They're fat because they're too lazy to do anything about it. Excuses, excuses. Add SSRI's in there and it's too easy just to blame the drug. Scotty said her son didn't change his eating or activity level. Well, he could have. I went from 230+ to 175 while on 10mg. It took work and diligence. Now I'm back at 198 because I got lazy.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:25 AM   #16
Buxy`s Back

speedyd,,,,,,,whoopy do good for you,just because thats your experience doesn,t mean our versions are wrong

September 2009, not in severe hell just moderate hell, still recovering Joanne.

LITTLE EVIL MEN HIDE BEHIND BIG COMPANY NAMES................QUOTE BY......MOI
Buxy`s Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:23 AM   #17
SpeedyD

Note: this is the same reply in 2 threads about exercise/weight control, both of which Joanne bashed me in.

See, that's what I love about this board. You come in and post an experience that's contrary to the majority on here and you get bashed and discounted. There's nothing special about what I did, except that I was willing to take control of my life and what I put in my mouth. I realize that's not easy, it's not easy for me either. I did Weight Watchers for a while, and I'd recommend it. The best thing about it is that you have to account for everything you put in your mouth. You eat more than you realize, believe me, even if you think you're being careful (I did, and it still surprised me). Was I dying to go out last night and do 15 miles of interval work in the dark at 33º? Not really, but that's what it takes for me to maintain weight and fitness. Unless you're willing to do the same, I'd suggest you keep your criticisms to yourselves.

No matter what, it's calories in vs. calories out. Paxil may change the equation, but that's still the bottom line. Just because it's more than you're willing to do doesn't mean it's "impossible".
Old 12-01-2005, 10:41 AM   #18
Katesmom

Quote:

See, that's what I love about this board. You come in and post an experience that's contrary to the majority on here and you get bashed and discounted.
Actually, it seems that is what you have done. It may just be the abruptness of your approach, but your basically telling people they are lazy and don't try hard enough. I think the one thing I can say about the Paxil experience it that everyone has a unique experience on and coming off of the drug. There are some things that are more prevelant than others. One is weight gain.

Personally, the calorie in/calorie out model is not so simple for me (see, I refer ONLY to myself as that it is the only experience I know). I do not eat "more than I think." I do work out, both cardio and strength training. I have finally lost about ten pounds after having been off Paxil for several months and having been sick four times in ten weeks.

I think it's great that you have not had this issue with Paxil. And I applaud your discipline in your workout and dietary regimes. I take no issue with your being a proponate of those things on this board. You can do that without poo-pooing the experience of a great many other people at the same time. A little diplomacy will go a very long way!

started Paxil Oct. 2003 for PIH
Paxil free since 19 Jul 2005

". . .the cruelest lies are often told without a word. . .the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." -- Ben Folds
Katesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:52 AM   #19
Buxy`s Back

i excerised by swimming every morning on seroxat and was a lot more active then too,on the go 24/7.In withdrawal iv not been well enough to exercise for 10 mins and iv lost 4 stone+ now from size 18 on seroxat to a size 10,so if it wasnt seroxat keeping the weight on then what was it??? in my head??? sorry if you think i bashed you but maybe if you read your posts i responded in the mannor you posted

September 2009, not in severe hell just moderate hell, still recovering Joanne.

LITTLE EVIL MEN HIDE BEHIND BIG COMPANY NAMES................QUOTE BY......MOI
Buxy`s Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:37 AM   #20
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Scotty said her son didn't change his eating or activity level. Well, he could have.
He was a bit busy in withdrawal trying not to kill himself to worry about weight loss.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:17 PM   #21
Delynbetter

Heh. On Paxil I was numb. I didn't do sh**. I gained 20 pounds. Came off Paxil. Still not doing sh**. Lost 17 pounds. Not that it's relevant, but Paxil never gave me the willingness or motivation to work out. Instead, I was sleeping most of the time. My husband and I went on an all-inclusive vacation in April (still on Paxil) and I ate a couple of times during the days, and only had about 4 strawberry daquiris the entire trip. Didn't lose any weight.

Quit Paxil one month later - lose 17 pounds in about 2 months. Again, it wouldn't have mattered while I was on Paxil because I just didn't give a rat's a$$ and I was sleeping my life away. Different people. Different stories.
Delynbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:07 AM   #22
nicole55

Well for me it was really hard. I did manage to lose about 10 pounds, but that was only about 1/3 of what I had gained. Also, I had to work out like mad most of the week to lose that, and to keep it off.

The exercise was good for me, I'm sure of that. But it just seemed like not matter what I did , I couldn't lose any more. I mean I was already working out all week for 45 minutes to an hour, and I work full time so I couldn't do much more -ya know?

AND like the story above. In the beginning , the first few years on paxil, (before I started to work out) I just didn't care. I felt so good, I was feeling so happy and relief from my anxiety I had put on about 20 pounds at that point and was like who cares. Paxil made me not care about it. But I did care , somewhere deep inside me, that side effect really effected me emotionally and it was one of the many side effects, that made me want off the drug.
reason for taking: anxiety
how long taking: 5yrs
attempts to stop: 4th attempt worked!! (first 2 tries w/doctor too fast, 3rd try found this place-5mg drops-still too fast)

briefly went back to ssri's- 12/07 tried Zoloft in desperation//awful side effects starting up, tapered quickly after only 4 weeks on

10/13 doing good, don't care for my job-need to work on that
nicole55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:08 AM   #23
Nybbler

In my case, at least, this problem is with all antidepressants.

I went on two Lenten fasts while on antidepressants (one was Paxil). One fast was avoiding all sugar and one was avoiding all meat (completely vegan). During both of those fasts I attended the Sergeant's Program (see http://www.sarge.com for more info) two or three times a week. I did not lose an ounce either time. I quit the Sergeant's program a few years ago, too expensive.

On the other hand, while I was on strictly Paxil and had been on it for two years at that point, I lost 50 lbs. on Weight Watchers. So it was really strange. My logic urges me to think that it must amount to the simple equation of calories in must equal less than calories out, but then if I was exercising strenuously AND cutting all sugar from my diet, one would think that I would lose at least some weight. But nope.

After I lost all that weight, I gained it back and then some. Then in 2004 I finally got sick of it and went on the South Beach Diet out of desperation because I really don't subscribe to those "it's what you eat not how much you eat" sort of fads. Well I lost about 6 lbs and then something totally unexpected happened -- I got pregnant. I say totally unexpected because my husband and I had been trying to conceive for four years. We'd tried artificial insemination, In Vitro, everything and no dice. Two weeks on a low-carb diet and whammo I am preggers. So perhaps there was an insulin issue. BTW I was taking Celexa at that time.

Oh well I have rambled on long enough. I think that enough conflicting advice exists regarding SSRIs and weight that no one person can say that "This is how it is, deal with it." Obviously the drugs affect everyone differently and it is very narrow-minded to think that the way it works for you would be how it works for everyone.

BTW I was a PaxilProgress.org member back in 2001 when I first "kicked the habit." I enjoyed the camaraderie so much that am back to help out in whatever way I can. This place has always given me fond memories of a warm and helpful community. Keep up the good work!

Christa
Nybbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:34 AM   #24
rdjanis

Hi Christa!! wow, 2001... I wasn't around then.

I have to agree that it is an individual experiece. For most here they gain the weight. My daughter was pretty active and kept gaining, she joined the Y etc., the weight stayed until paxil left There have been a few people that have been successful of losing some of the weight while still on paxil, but not very many.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:56 AM   #25
eileen

30 mg of Paxil and I gained a lot of weight. I'm unable to exercise because of neck and back injuries. Paxil affected me greatly and I'm tired all the time.
Most people on Paxil or withdrawal are too tired and sick to exercise,we are fortunate if we can get to work.
I love Paxil Progress, because the people in here have really given me a lot of help and support.
eileen
I will survive!
eileen is offline   Reply With Quote