our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 11-09-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
M&M

Paxil + Amitriptyline

Hi, I just found your site today. What a relief!

My husband has been on Paxil for about 5 years. During that time, he's had two surgeries on his neck, a fusion the first time and then a laminectomy this last April. He has been taking narcotics for severe pain in his neck and back ever since. Recently, he started feeling much worse and quite tired all the time. He told our family doctor he didn't think he could take much more and was feeling depressed and hopeless. She prescribed amitriptyline in addition to oxycodone, and having him continue the paxil. This happened a week ago.

Needless to say, he's even worse now.

I started to suspect his medications today and, well, I'm sure you know what I found!

His original complaint that is responsible for the Paxil prescription was anxiety. At that time, he was pretty healthy. He's had poor health ever since, in addition to his neck problems. I had been frustrated by all of his ailments, since we've been married over 30 years, and this was something not normal for him. I realize now, it's the Paxil.

So, I guess my question is... he wants to try and stop taking Paxil but we don't know if this is advisable in combination with the Amitriptyline? Asking our doctor probably won't give us the answers, since she's basically not in agreement with Paxil being a problem.
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
BriOnH

Re: Paxil + Amitriptyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M
Hi, I just found your site today. What a relief!

My husband has been on Paxil for about 5 years. During that time, he's had two surgeries on his neck, a fusion the first time and then a laminectomy this last April. He has been taking narcotics for severe pain in his neck and back ever since. Recently, he started feeling much worse and quite tired all the time. He told our family doctor he didn't think he could take much more and was feeling depressed and hopeless. She prescribed amitriptyline in addition to oxycodone, and having him continue the paxil. This happened a week ago.

Needless to say, he's even worse now.

I started to suspect his medications today and, well, I'm sure you know what I found!

His original complaint that is responsible for the Paxil prescription was anxiety. At that time, he was pretty healthy. He's had poor health ever since, in addition to his neck problems. I had been frustrated by all of his ailments, since we've been married over 30 years, and this was something not normal for him. I realize now, it's the Paxil.

So, I guess my question is... he wants to try and stop taking Paxil but we don't know if this is advisable in combination with the Amitriptyline? Asking our doctor probably won't give us the answers, since she's basically not in agreement with Paxil being a problem.
What are the symptoms you suspect paxil to be the cause of? Those are 3 very powerful drugs. Oxycodone especially.
-Brian
05/18/04 - Went back on to 15 mg - I think I could have hung in there if I was aware of this forum.
07/28/2005 - Quit Paxil 15 mg - Second Attempt
11/06/2005 -- On 10 mg to stabilize and will try again
11/30/2005 -- Back to 15mg again.
12/18/05 -- 7.5 mg
12/31/05 -- 0
1/05/06 -- back on 15 mg

10/25/06 -- 1mg xanax down from 3 mg from 5 month taper.

www.diabuddies.com
Brian Hartigan
BriOnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:14 PM   #3
rdjanis
"has a lavender scented keyboard"

Welcome, hubby is on way to many meds. Paxil itself is bad enough. Both medications are anti depressants, one is the older version, paxil being a new one. I don't think it advisable to mix the two... hopefully Laurie will kick in here soon and will be able to give you better advise.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:19 PM   #4
Charlie

If you would like I'll look up the drug interaction. I'll need to know the dosage and if it's Paxil or PaxilCR

Just thought I'd offer
Charlie
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:20 PM   #5
scotty
Administrator

I'm with Mike on this one. What is he experiencing, specifically? doctors are very quick to prescribe elavil for pain management and don't recognize the danger of an ssri and a tricyclic.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:54 PM   #6
M&M

Insomnia, confusion and the inability to concentrate are pretty severe. He's drowsy but that's to be expected. He feels like he's choking sometimes and feels pressure on his chest. He has no no heart disease. Severe constipation, followed by diarrhea. Urinary and kidney pain, even though he's been checked for bladder and prostrate problems and he's fine. Severe back pain that he didn't have prior to the paxil, and of course, the neck pain that got worse. The list is pretty long... but right now, his feelings of hopelessness about the pain is our primary worry. This is all out of character for him. I thought he was becoming a dramatic hypochondriac. He used to be active socially, loved playing sports and tinkered with just about all tools and trades. His coworkers/friends also see the personality changes I've seen and are concerned.

His neurosurgeon (one of the top in the country) says he should not be suffering much pain now. Our family practice Doctor is military, as is all our health care. They seem to really be pushing the anti depressants. I've been offered them several times for minor complaints.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:04 PM   #7
Delynbetter

Uh, yeah. There could be some problems here.

From Drug Digest - drug interactions

Quote:
PAROXETINE HYDROCHLORIDE (in Paxil) may interact with AMITRIPTYLINE (in Elavil)

Both paroxetine and amitriptyline have an effect on serotonin, a chemical that is found in the brain. Excess levels of serotonin in the brain may cause serious or potentially life-threatening side effects. Early signs of this problem include increased confusion and restlessness. Other possible symptoms may include weakness, fever, nausea, and anxiety. In rare cases, high levels of serotonin in the brain may cause severe complications like seizures, stroke, and even death. If these drugs are used together, your doctor may want to monitor you closely when therapy with paroxetine is started or stopped. If you are experiencing problems, it may be necessary to adjust the dose of amitriptyline or to stop therapy with either drug. Discuss this potential interaction with your healthcare provider at your next appointment, or sooner if you think you are having problems.
Quote:
OXYCODONE may interact with PAROXETINE HYDROCHLORIDE (in Paxil)

Both paroxetine and oxycodone have an effect on serotonin, a chemical that is found in the brain. Excess levels of serotonin in the brain may cause serious or potentially life-threatening side effects. Early signs of this problem include increased confusion and restlessness. Other possible symptoms may include weakness, fever, nausea, abdominal cramping, and anxiety. In rare cases, high levels of serotonin in the brain may cause severe complications like seizures, stroke, and even death. If these drugs are used together, your doctor may want to monitor you closely when therapy with paroxetine is started or stopped. If you are experiencing problems, it may be necessary to adjust the dose of oxycodone or to stop therapy with either drug. Ask your healthcare provider about these drugs and this potential interaction as soon as possible.
Delynbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 07:09 PM   #8
M&M

Thank you so much! I think I might be taking him to the hospital in the morning. Maybe sooner.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:26 PM   #9
txguy

This brings back memories - this is the cocktail I was prescribed after experiencing my first panic attack(paxil and amitrip). The Ami was for
sleeping and the paxil was for anxiety. Needless to say I was a zombie -
all I did was sleep and of course work. I could barely function. Like
your husband, I was very active in everything. It took all those hobbies
away and replaced them with worry, hypochondriasis, etc. Im not a doctor
but I would find a way to get off all the AD and just stick to the maintenance
medication for your husband's neck.

TXGuy
txguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:09 PM   #10
scotty
Administrator

Time to reevaluate his pain management. The cocktail that he is on obviously isn't working. The fact that the neurologist isn't convinced that they pain is from the neck , it's time to look at the meds. His symptoms sound drug related. Good choice on going to the hospital.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:10 PM   #11
rdjanis
"has a lavender scented keyboard"

Definately a good choice to take him to the hospital.... the sooner the better.