our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Health Challenges
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health Challenges Anxiety, depression, OCD, headaches, weight and more.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 11-20-2005, 09:26 PM   #1
bon13

Feeling of food stuck in upper part of esophagus...

O.K. I believe I am now truly in Paxil hell and I'm not completely off this stuff yet. Tapered down to 2.5 mgs about 3 weeks ago. As of Friday, I have been having this weird digestive thing happening. After I swallow food, it feels like it's having a hard time being pushed down. There's no trouble swallowing, it's just that after I swallow there's a feeling of discomfort in my upper chest area. No chest pains or anything like that. But I haven't eaten a whole lot today because of it. In fact I went to the store and bought yogurts, soups and Ensure until this thing passes. Anyone else experienced this bizarre symptom?

Prescribed 10 mg Paxil Jan 2001 for anxiety/panic
Tapered 6 months with 2.5 mg cuts
Pax-hell Free as of 1/6/06!

COURAGE IS NOT THE ABSENCE OF FEAR, BUT RATHER THE JUDGMENT THAT SOMETHING ELSE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN FEAR -- Ambrose Redmoon
bon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 09:32 PM   #2
Delynbetter

Re: Feeling of food stuck in upper part of esophagus...

Mine has been anxiety related. It's another one of those symptoms where your muscles are slowing down for the healing. The fear of choking or feeling of choking has been discussed on here before. During my first EMDR treatment when he had me watching these traveling lights at a very fast speed I could feel my throat closing up. Apparently he saw it also and slowed it down. It was the wierdest feeling to have that with no food or drink involved.

I think that actually those nerves in those muscles are probably regaining their capability of feeling - they are not numb as they were on the full dose - and you're just beginning to be able to feel things going down again.
Delynbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:30 AM   #3
aqueoushumor

I've had that happen to me recently, and I did some research on it. From what I found out, it can be to a nerve problem in the muscles in the esophagus, and can also be caused by a candida (yeast) infection in the esophagus. I had a systemic yeast infection and I've been treating it and mine got much better.
aqueoushumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:36 AM   #4
Shellshock

Just a question guys on this subject if you will please.

Is it possible that muscle spasms in the esophagus could cause wretching?? The reason I ask is because I have woke up this morning feeling a little edgy, nervous stomach etc and I started to have a bad spell of wretching haven't had one for a week or so, although I do get these quite regulary...Just raised a question in my mind that this could be being caused by a muscle spasm in my esophagus, causing it to think there is something stuck, i.e leading to wretching, just a thought. Would be grateful for any comments as this one is lingering and has been bothering me..
Seroxat Free since Sept 2004

Nov 2007 - Still having difficult time and w/d nowhere near complete as yet
Shellshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:34 AM   #5
Delynbetter

During withdrawal I have learned that anything is possible. I certainly hope that stops for you...SOON!
Old 11-21-2005, 06:37 AM   #6
Shellshock

Thanks Notdelyn, you not had this one then ? .. I never suffered with wretching for no apparent reason before meds, but this started very late on in w/d so i'm not sure I can class this as a w/d symptom, this is all so confusing, i'm finding that i'm putting everything down to this w/d, what if something is wrong somewhere and i've ignored it and just put it down to w/d? Who knows eh it's all mind boggling !!!

Old 11-21-2005, 06:49 AM   #7
Delynbetter

Luckily the only time I've had the wretching was during cold turkey. I do have the constant feeling that there is a constant tiny noose around the esophagus in one spot.

Talk to you doc about the spasms, or maybe someone on here knows of a natural product that inhibits this. I know there is a prescription medication that is used for this - but I'm in fear of taking anything prescription, much less mentioning it.

Anyone here take or have taken Reglan/metoclopropamide? It's been at least 15 years since I have...
Old 11-21-2005, 07:27 AM   #8
Shellshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdelynwell
Luckily the only time I've had the wretching was during cold turkey. I do have the constant feeling that there is a constant tiny noose around the esophagus in one spot.

Talk to you doc about the spasms, or maybe someone on here knows of a natural product that inhibits this. I know there is a prescription medication that is used for this - but I'm in fear of taking anything prescription, much less mentioning it.

Anyone here take or have taken Reglan/metoclopropamide? It's been at least 15 years since I have...
I'm so like you on the prescription med front !!!!!!!

I'm so scared to take anything for anything these days.

I've never heard of any of the drugs you mentions, can't help you here sorry...

I'll see if I get any more suggestions with my wretching problems, if not, i'll mention to my doctor next time i'm there, i don't go much these days as they don't do anything about anything anyway, so it really is a waste of time and when you don't feel like going out of the house, to go there for nothing it's soul destroying..

Old 11-21-2005, 08:52 AM   #9
bon13

Fortunately, I haven't had the wretching feeling. Just feels like the esophagus is having a hard time pushing the food down. This really sucks because I love to eat and Thanksgiving is just a few days away! I think I'll give my doctor's office a call... but I'm not taking any prescriptions! I'll look for anything natural first or just wait this out. I'm sure it will pass. All of these w/d symptoms are bizarre and seem to pass eventually. I pray this one does too. Thanks for your responses.

COURAGE IS NOT THE ABSENCE OF FEAR, BUT RATHER THE JUDGMENT THAT SOMETHING ELSE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN FEAR -- Ambrose Redmoon
Old 11-21-2005, 12:23 PM   #10
elisa

Could the cause be indigestion or anxiety?

Many of us in withdrawl have tummy problems. It can manifest itself in different ways.

Ginger tea for upset stomach - nausea. You can purchase it or make your own.
fennel tea for bloating - gas and indigestion

See if that would help.
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:34 PM   #11
Katesmom

Bon-

I have had the exact same thing happen. I did not connect it with w/d, but that probably is just because I'm starting to feel so much better. Just yesterday, I took a drink of something and I thought it would never get all the way down to my stomach. Freaked out my hubby. Definitely physical for me, not an anxiety thing.

started Paxil Oct. 2003 for PIH
Paxil free since 19 Jul 2005

". . .the cruelest lies are often told without a word. . .the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." -- Ben Folds
Katesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:30 PM   #12
bon13

Some responses I have gotten from people at work is that it could be "GERD" (gastroesophogeal reflux disease or something like that). Did some research. Some of my symptoms are those like GERD. I don't have the heartburn thing, but some people have it without the heartburn. I've been taking a Rolaid before eating. Not sure if it's working. My chest is also feeling really tight today -- almost like someone is pulling my skin tightly. Had this symptom the last time I dropped so I know its withdrawal. All of this probably is...never had any problems eating before! Just pray that this passes by Thursday because I LOVE Thanksgiving dinner!
Take Care Everyone,
Happy Thanksgiving to All of You!
Yvonne

Old 11-22-2005, 07:21 AM   #13
genevieve

yes, I have this feeling and TONS of other GI problems since I stopped paxil. I have nausea, stomach pain, acid, diarrhea, food intolerance, etc.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:39 AM   #14
eileen

In the morning, right after I take my pills, I have this feeling that they didn't go down. I try to ignore it, because I'm sure it is withdrawal. The dirty drug trying to fool me into going back up. I try to ignore it and after I have my breakfast, I don't notice it until the next morning. If it continues Shell, perhaps you should see your doctor to be checked out. Don't worry about what he thinks, how you feel is the most important. Take the Power, you pay him for his help.
Thanks for the tip on the fennel tea Elisa, I'm going out to get some to-day.
Wishing you all good health.
eileen
I will survive!
eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:39 PM   #15
aqueoushumor

I know I already mentioned it but you should see if you might have a yeast infection in your esophagus. I got the exact same thing--my food LITERALLY wouldn't go down--and if I burped it would regurgitate. There was no burning/acid and it got so bad I couldn't even get water to go all the way down! I didn't get examined to know it was a yeast infection, but I've been having recurrent yeast infections in my mouth and girlie area, so I started a yeast cleanse (some herbs, a strict diet, excessive chewing, flora, and lots of water) and it's gotten much much better. It also helps to chew my food a lot--you can break down your food enough just with the enzymes in your siliva so that it's nearly liquid when you swallow it. Good luck!
Old 11-23-2005, 02:01 AM   #16
Buxy`s Back

iv had an annoyin feeling all the way through on and off like i have a golf ball or somethinbg stuck between my chest bone think its all to do with the gi problems in withdrawal which iv had lots of

September 2009, not in severe hell just moderate hell, still recovering Joanne.

LITTLE EVIL MEN HIDE BEHIND BIG COMPANY NAMES................QUOTE BY......MOI
Buxy`s Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:27 AM   #17
bon13

Went to see my doctor yesterday. she thinks that something may have gotten caught in my esophagus which injured it. she said that this can happen easily with pills or hard foods (couldn't think of anything "hard" i may have eaten... possibly nuts in a trail mix bar?) I don't know. anyhow, my symptoms were improving yesterday so she's not too worried about it. if the problem persists for 2 weeks, i'm to call her back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqueoushumor
I know I already mentioned it but you should see if you might have a yeast infection in your esophagus.
Thanks aqueous, if this persists, I will definitely have my doctor check that out. How can they tell if you have a yeast infection in your esophagus?

Old 11-23-2005, 03:25 PM   #18
eileen

I hope you keep on improving bon. Good Luck.
eileen
I will survive!
eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:37 PM   #19
aqueoushumor

They can actually send a little camera down it to check things out. I imagine they'll do that anyway if your symptoms continue. They say those internal yeast infections usually only happen to people with immune deficiency, but I feel really skeptical of anything the medical system says anymore.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:46 AM   #20
Kitsyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon13
O.K. I believe I am now truly in Paxil hell and I'm not completely off this stuff yet. Tapered down to 2.5 mgs about 3 weeks ago. As of Friday, I have been having this weird digestive thing happening. After I swallow food, it feels like it's having a hard time being pushed down. There's no trouble swallowing, it's just that after I swallow there's a feeling of discomfort in my upper chest area. No chest pains or anything like that. But I haven't eaten a whole lot today because of it. In fact I went to the store and bought yogurts, soups and Ensure until this thing passes. Anyone else experienced this bizarre symptom?
I should say this is almost certainly anxiety related, having suffered from the same thing some years ago. It's really uncomfortable and quite worrying, isn't it? I found taking deep breaths helped, also sipping water whilst eating. If you're at all worried, I should have the doc check it out - but, again, sounds like anxiety to me.

KIt
06/2006 : 8mgs
07/2006 : 7.4
08/2006: 7mgs
09/2006
: 5mgs
10/2006 : 4.4mgs
11/2006 : 4mgs
12/2006 : 3.4 mgs
01/2007 : 3mgs
02/2007 : 2.75mgs
02/2007 : 2.4mgs
03/2007 : 2mgs
04/2007 : 1mg
05/2007 : 0.5mg
06/2007 : 0.1 mgs
07/2007 : Zero. Drug and symptom free.
Kitsyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:17 AM   #21
bon13

just an update on this digestive thing...
it's beginning to slowly improve. last night i was able to eat most of my dinner. the getting stuck feeling seems to be moving down toward the center of my chest instead of the top of my esophagus. so this is definitely an improvement for me. taking small bites, chewing thoroughly and drinking lots of water. also taking Maalox when i get the reflux feeling (food coming up).
i'm pretty certain this is a reflux issue, likely caused by stress due to my busy life and paxil withdrawal.

Old 11-28-2005, 10:53 AM   #22
lizkateharry

Quote:
Is the feeling only when eating? I have that feeling all day long.. it is anxiety.....when the anxiety goes away so does the feeling...but the anxiety most never goes away....not now anyway... I am only 78 days off of the paxhell....so the choking feeling is always with me......
lizkateharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:21 PM   #23
bon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizkateharry
Is the feeling only when eating? I have that feeling all day long.. it is anxiety.....when the anxiety goes away so does the feeling...but the anxiety most never goes away....not now anyway... I am only 78 days off of the paxhell....so the choking feeling is always with me......
i've been dealing with anxious feelings for 4 years now. for me they have manifested in my throat (tightness) as well as tight feeling in my chest and shortness of breath. this feeling is very different from any of those. it's most pronounced while i am eating and for a little while afterward when digesting. felt it while laying down last night... had to prop myself up because i kept feeling like i had to burp and acid was creeping up. this is definitely digestive, however, like i said, i have no doubt it's partially related to paxil withdrawal. i am monitoring this again this week and if it continues, my doc wants to do a barium x-ray. i'll keep you all posted.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:13 AM   #24
bon13

Quote:
the getting stuck feeling seems to be moving down toward the center of my chest instead of the top of my esophagus. so this is definitely an improvement for me. taking small bites, chewing thoroughly and drinking lots of water. also taking Maalox when i get the reflux feeling (food coming up). i'm pretty certain this is a reflux issue, likely caused by stress due to my busy life and paxil withdrawal.
This strange symptom seems to be going away. Feeling it slightly now. Just wanted to post this information for anyone else who may be having weird digestive things happening while in withdrawal.

Old 12-18-2005, 09:15 PM   #25
bon13

This symptom is still with me (4 weeks later). I was already losing weight from tapering off the paxil and now I'm losing even more weight because my diet is restricted (good side effect, though but I don't want to lose too much). Called my doctor since the symptom is persisting. We're trying Aciphex which is for reflux. It's a short term treatment (4-8 weeks). I'm certain this is Pax-hell related and it all just really sucks! I thought I might be able to stop taking the Paxil this month, but it seems I'm not really stabilized so I better not drop again yet. I also just started having brief episodes of anxiety where I can't catch my breath and it scares the **** out of me. I'm looking forward to the day when all of this is behind me.