our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Health Challenges
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health Challenges Anxiety, depression, OCD, headaches, weight and more.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 04-30-2006, 10:02 AM   #26
AnxiousOne

Re: Paxil and Pregnancy-Official warnings!

Hey Windsor! Congrats on your pregnancy! Although I might have tapered off, I applaud you on getting rid of the paxil! There wasnt much info out there when I was pregnant with my first and not a whole lot for my other three. I know that I would feel a lot better right now if I had known for sure that paxil didnt play any role in my daughter dying of sids and my sons autism. Best of luck to you and your little one!!!
AnxiousOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:18 PM   #27
Katesmom

Welcome, Windsor-

How you decide to proceed with Paxil is your choice, and I certainly understand that choice. I started Paxil at nine weeks, and my baby is perfectly healthy. I'm not sure how far along that you are, but know that the risks for heart problems in fetuses come in the very earliest weeks of pregnancy and it is likely already too late to compensate for them even with a cold turkey stoppage of Paxil. All of the other warnings are from after twenty weeks. Remember that you are not stopping cold turkey by yourself; your fetus is stopping cold turkey as well. It would not be unreasonable, and would, in fact, be very kind to both you and your baby, to do an accelerated taper of Paxil rather than flat out cold turkey. It is very likely that you could complete this type of wean in six weeks.

I sympathize greatly with your situation. I understand that no one wants to take risks with their unborn child. Know that the risks of the reported problems, while real, are very small.

Congrats to you! I wish you all the best, no matter what you decide.

started Paxil Oct. 2003 for PIH
Paxil free since 19 Jul 2005

". . .the cruelest lies are often told without a word. . .the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." -- Ben Folds
Katesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:43 AM   #29
scotty
Administrator

"These findings are
contrary to the expectation that treating depressed
mothers with SSRIs during pregnancy would be
associated with lessening of the adverse neonatal
consequences associated with maternal depression."

So even with the pharma connection here they can't back up the claim of "It's the depression that causes the problems".

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:03 PM   #31
Katesmom

And, again, who's to say these women were even taking the drug for depression in the first place???

". . .the cruelest lies are often told without a word. . .the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." -- Ben Folds
Old 08-16-2006, 09:07 PM   #32
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katesmom
And, again, who's to say these women were even taking the drug for depression in the first place???
Exactly! How many were on it for PMS, headaches, anxiety, carpel tunnel(yeah, this is a new one I just heard about)

MLK
Old 09-25-2006, 06:07 PM   #34
dfig

Here is my pregnancy story: I had been taking Paxil since 1997 (divorce issues). Met the man of my dreams and became pregnant 1999 (did not try by the way). When I found out, I stopped cold turkey and was fine. Here is the strange part, I had tried to quit cold turkey about a year before and had horrible (all the usual) withdrawal symptoms, I immediately returned to my "safe zone" 40mg. But when pregnant I had none of the symptoms. I was so hormonally balanced. I was even pleasant to be around!! Fast forward to about 4 weeks post-partum and you could say I was possesed. My husband begged me to return to taking Paxil. I did so reluctantly, figuring I was off, why start again, but I did for the sake of my sanity and marriage.

I have been on ever since, but am now starting to slowly wean myself off. There are days that I feel possessed again! A real crazy person!! Now at the age of 40 I realize that to hell with everyone else, I am doing this for me and if it means that there are days that I am extremely irritable, then so be it. I figure I can't expect to be "fine" right away after being drugged for 9 years. Hope my story helps.
2001 cold turkey (ran back to the stuff)40mg
2001-2006 40mg
August, 2006 weaning off for last time down by 5 mg every couple of weeks
Sept, 2006 @10mg. it is hard, will stay here for a while before moving down to 5mg.
dfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:35 PM   #35
elisa

IBS for me.
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:20 PM   #36
terrimj

Okay, my problem is this. I'm 6 weeks pregnant. I started Paxil in May and was on CR25/day. I have panic disorder and the Paxil really did help that.

When I discovered I was pregnant (right when I missed my first period), I read all the warnings and decided to quit cold turkey. The withdrawal symptoms haven't been too bad, I've been able to deal with those. What's been bad is the return of the anxiety and the panic.

I'm terribly worried about the effects of Paxil on my baby. But the panic is getting bad enough that I'm thinking I might be better off to go back on it. Is there anything else that would help the panic but not be as potentially bad for the baby? I go see my OBGYN in 2 weeks and I'm hoping to be able to discuss this intelligently with her, especially since I don't know how much she may or may not know about Paxil.

Thanks for any advice anyone has.

Terri
terrimj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #37
rdjanis
"has a lavender scented keyboard"

Welcome terrimj!!

You know, if your doc doesn't know about the warnings she isn't worth a grain of salt. These warnings have been sent out to all docs.

Saying that, withdrawal mimics your original symptoms but magnified, in time the anxiety will lesson.

IMO, nothing is worth taking the chance, to date the heart problems are recognized, what else is there that has yet to be connected with these medications?

Speak to the doctor, ask her what you could take to ease the anxiety without harming the baby.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:27 PM   #38
Katesmom

Hi, Terri!

I'm so sorry that you are in this quandry. I would go one step further than what Rita told you and say that not only does withdrawal mimic your original symptoms, it exacerbates them severely. Withdrawal is both physical AND emotional in nature. Cold turkey would make this even more amplified, which is one reason it is generally such a bad idea. However, if you really think you can tolerate it, that is up to you. If not, if you are considering taking a drug, then I would highly recommend going back on a half dose of paxil and tapering off. That would likely make a significant difference in how you feel. But, yes, still taper off. You do not want to risk more than you need to and you don't want a baby born addicted to this or any other drug. And, for this, all the SSRIs are going to be the same.

To lower your anxiety, drop the caffeine and artificial sweeteners and MSG. Add magnesium supplements. Read books about coping with anxiety. I'll post a link to some good ones in a minute. And strongly consider cognitive behavioral therapy. This form of therapy teaches you to recognize your anxiety triggers and to cope with them. You don't have to be a slave to drugs.

Good luck to you!

EDIT: Just realized that you said you were on CR. Don't go back to that; the pills are too tough to cut up. Try 10mg regular pills. That is equivalent to 12.5mg CR. See if that helps. After 2-3 weeks, go down to 3/4 of that pill or 7.5mg. Taper in that way until you are off. Try the other things I suggested to relieve anxiety as well. This is doable.

Last edited by Katesmom : 09-27-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:28 PM   #39
Katesmom

Alternative anxiety treatments. Try them, they work!

http://www.paxilprogress.org/forums/...98&postcount=8

Old 09-28-2006, 07:34 AM   #40
Tomas2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty
'Dr. Shaila Misri, a professor of psychiatry, obstetrics and gynecology at the University of British Columbia, agreed, saying that women who are seriously depressed but not treated show altered chemistry in their bodies - "in which the baby is growing for the next 40 weeks."

"And those who don't go on treatment, we are concerned about how lack of treatment and change in their biochemistry will affect them and the babies," Misri, author of the book Pregnancy Blues, said from Vancouver.'
Aaaah. And SSRI use does not alter body chemistry, in which babies are growing?

30 mg paroxetine 200109 - 200501
Tapered to 0 mg 200501 - 20050519.
0 mg 05 - 06 (3 1/2 weeks)
5-20 citalopram 06 - 07
15 mg escitalopram 07 - 08
6 RUL ECT 200507
20 mg escitalopram 200508 - 200512
Found ect.org and zaprap.org 200509.
Tapering to currently 7.5 mg escitalopram since 200512.
Found paxilprogress.org 200607.
Tomas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:30 AM   #41
Tomas2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katesmom
To lower your anxiety, drop the caffeine and artificial sweeteners and MSG.
Actually, at least caffeine (and who would dismiss artificial sweeteners and monosodium glutamate?) may adversely affect the unborn baby.

http://www.chem-tox.com/pregnancy/coffee.htm
http://nv.essortment.com/caffeinepregnan_rfgc.htm
http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/681_1148.asp

5-20 citalopram 06 - 07
6 RUL ECT 200507
Old 09-28-2006, 10:32 AM   #42
elisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas2
Aaaah. And SSRI use does not alter body chemistry, in which babies are growing?
Tomas, I love your reply!!

Now, who comes first: the mother or the baby??? Psychiatry doesn't seem to care about the both of them.
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:43 PM   #43
Katesmom

Tomas,

It was so good that I 'had' to limit caffeine in pregnancy. I live a pretty caffeine free lifestyle prior to paxil; I could take or leave it. Paxil gave me major cravings for Coke which I later found out was a common side effect of the drug. If I hadn't been pregnant, I don't know if I would have drunk anything else.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:08 PM   #44
Tomas2

Uh-huh. And coke isn't exactly what's best for a body, with all the sugar and the caffeine and whatnot.

After consuming perhaps roughly about 1 g of caffeine per day for maybe 12 years, maybe not as much the first years, I quit caffeine a couple of weeks ago. I've speculated caffeine contributed to me developing OCD all those years ago when mental unhealth first afflicted me. I had reduced my intake some a couple of months prior, and I first halved my intake for a week before quitting altogether. The first week after quitting, I had distinct body pains, in my calves, legs and buttocks and in the sides of my stomach, apart from the headache and the worsened tiredness. Now, I feel pretty much the drug- and electricity-wasted brain I felt before, but without caffeine. Good for me!

5-20 citalopram 06 - 07
6 RUL ECT 200507
Old 10-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #45
Georgia

Paxil and Pregnancy

I just wanted to say that I was on 20 mg of Paxil and 100mg of Wellbutrin when I found out I was pregnant with my third child. I was also taking Xanax, as needed, and Trazadone to help me sleep at night. My OB doctor said half of her patients take anti-depressants while they are pregnant and that I could stay on them (this was during a pre-pregnancy fertility visit when I expressed concern). I had planned to just stay on them. However, as soon as I saw the double pink lines on my home pregnancy test, I immediately discontinued my anti-depressants and all my meds, cold turkey. The withdrawal was pretty tough. I don't know how bad it was for me to just stop suddenly, but I hung tough for my baby. I know that not everyone could do that, and I am IN NO WAY suggesting to people that they do that. I am just sharing what I did. I thought my pregnancy would be so hard on my depression, and I was surprised at how well I did. I let my growing baby and my growing body and my busy life with my two older boys distract me. Then, when the baby was born (very healthy, I might add), I chose to breastfeed for a year. I decided to stay off the anti-depressants for another year so I could do that. Two days after I was sure he was done nursing, I saw my psychiatrist and went back on my meds. I am taking 10mg of Paxil and 75mg of wellbutrin for 2 weeks and then going up to 20mg and 150mg, respectively. Right now I cannot figure out the best time of day to take them. I am sleepy, lethargic, tired when I take them in the morning. I can't sleep when I take them at night. I've been over-eating, which I don't remember doing before. But I have noticed I am more calm, less overwhelmed, more motivated. I hate how I feel taking it, but I hate how I feel when I don't. I'm not sure how much my declining breastfeeding hormones are playing into this process. I don't remember eating too much when I was on Paxil before. I do feel that I am a better mother and handle my many responsibilities way better even in just a week of taking them. I just hate the side effects! I know it has only been a week, but I hope I get over it and feel some semblance of normal again. Anyway, I just wanted to share my scoop. I feel for everyone out there, especially the people who lost their babies or who had babies with issues. I wish everyone the best. Thanks for reading!
Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:47 PM   #46
Katesmom

Georgia-

After stopping an AD cold turkey, it is a real crap shoot what you will get when you go back on, even if it's been a long time. Every experience with them is unique. My advice would be to try non-drug options first, like cognitive behavioral therapy or another form of therapy if you prefer and to make sure that your diet is very healthy. These are not meant to be forever drugs and your body will not tolerate them forever. I believe that poop out is inevitable. It would be so much better to find an alternative while you have a choice and some control rather than to wait for that.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:48 PM   #47
scotty
Administrator

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4886762.stm

Anti-depressant stillbirth link

Babies may be affected by drugs in the womb
Use of a type of anti-depressant medication during pregnancy may increase the risk of a stillborn baby, research suggests.
A Canadian study of almost 5,000 mothers found those who used SSRIs were also more likely to have premature and low birth weight babies.

However experts said women should not stop taking medication without expert advice.

The study is published in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.

The researchers, from the University of Ottawa, compared the health of babies born to 972 women taking SSRI anti-depressants with that of babies born to mothers who did not use anti-depressants.

SSRIs, or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors work by increasing levels of the mood chemical serotonin in the brain. They include Prozac.

The researchers found women using the drugs were twice as likely to have a stillbirth. They were also almost twice as likely to have a low birth weight baby.

Almost 20% of women who used SSRIs gave birth prematurely, compared to 12% of those who did not use the drugs.

Babies born to women using SSRIs were also more likely to have seizures.

Benefits and risks

The researchers said women should be fully briefed about the potential risk of SSRIs before taking a decision about whether or not to use them.

Charlotte Davies, of Tommy's, the baby charity said pregnant women could opt for other types of anti-depressant medication.

She said: "Whilst this study has found a correlation between SSRIs and pregnancy complications, it has in no way confirmed a clear causal effect between the two, so pregnant women should continue taking their medication as normal.

"Left untreated, the physical and psychological effects of depression can lead to problems during pregnancy.

"Sufferers of depression are far more likely to smoke, as well as lose their appetites and in extreme cases are more likely to attempt suicide, which can all have devastating effects on mother and baby."

Other doubts

Previous research has also raised doubts about the safety of using SSRIs while pregnant.

Last year Danish and US scientists found use of the drugs in the first three months of pregnancy was linked to a 40% increased risk of birth defects such as cleft palate.

That research also suggested that use of SSRIs in pregnancy raised the risk of a premature birth.

In a separate study, Spanish research found that babies whose mothers used SSRIs are at risk of being born with withdrawal symptoms.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency has warned doctors not to prescribe most SSRI drugs, apart from Prozac, to children.

This followed evidence that use of the drugs in young people might increase the risk of suicidal behaviour.

A spokesman for Eli Lilly, which manufactures, Prozac said the company had never promoted the use of the drug for pregnant or nursing mothers

MLK
Old 12-28-2006, 09:20 PM   #48
Katesmom

http://www.healthsentinel.com/org_ne...rint_list_item

Roman Bystrianyk, "Paroxetine (Paxil or Paxil CR) can more than triple major cardiac birth defects", Health Sentinel, December 29, 2006,

Paroxetine, known by the brand names Paxil or Paxil CR in the United States, is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, or SSRI, antidepressant. Paroxetine was introduced in 1992 by GlaxoSmithKline and has become one of the most prescribed antidepressants on the market. In fact, paroxetine is the third most prescribed antidepressant in the United States and the most prescribed antidepressant in Canada.

In late 2005 the FDA and Health Canada issued two warnings regarding first trimester exposure to paroxetine and the increased risk of cardiac malformation in newborns. A study in Reproductive Toxicology published in April 2006 showed a two-fold increased risk of cardiac malformations in women taken paroxetine during the first trimester. This conclusion agreed with earlier unpublished reports performed in 2005 by GlaxoSmithKline also showing a doubled risk of cardiac malformations.

A new study published in Birth Defects Research Part B: Developmental and Reproductive Toxicology, examined in greater detail the association between exclusive first trimester exposure to paroxetine and the occurrence of any major congenital malformation, and more specifically, major cardiac malformations. The authors used a number of medical databases examining all pregnancies that occurred in Quebec between January 1997 and July 2003.

Adjusting for a number of variables, as well as for second and third trimester exposure to antidepressants, paroxetine exposure during the first trimester or pregnancy compared with the use of other SSRI and non-SSRI antidepressants did not significantly raise the risk of congenital malformations. Although this showed no difference in birth defects it must be taken with the information found in a recent population-based cohort study that found the use of any SSRI antidepressant in the first trimester of pregnancy resulted in a 40% increase in birth defects and more specifically a 60% increased risk in cardiac abnormalities.

When the study authors examined a dose of paroxetine of greater than 25 mg (milligrams) they found a major increase in general birth and specifically cardiac defects. “Paroxetine was significantly associated with a two-fold increase in the risk of major congenital anomalies, and more specifically with a three-fold increase in the risk of major cardiac anomalies.”

Again, this study compared paroxetine with other antidepressant drugs so the 200% increase in major congenital birth defects and 300% increase in cardiac malformations could reasonably be 240% and 360% if compared to those not taking any antidepressant medication.

The authors conclude, “using a population based pregnancy registry, our study showed no increased risk of major congenital malformations, specifically major cardiac malformations, associated with the first trimester exposure to paroxetine. For the first time, however, a dose-response relationship between average daily dose of paroxetine utilization during the first trimester of pregnancy and occurrence of major congenital malformations, and major cardiac malformations, was found. Pregnant users of more than 25 mg/day of paroxetine were at a two-fold increased risk of having an infant with a major malformation, and at a three-fold increased risk of having an infant with a major cardiac malformation.”

SOURCE: Birth Defects Research Part B: Developmental and Reproductive Toxicology, December 2006

Old 01-05-2007, 06:43 PM   #49
armykoenig2003

I think my daughter and are victums of Paxil. I was taking Paxil in 2001. I did get pregnant and was not told about the Paxil warnings from my doctor. But it was my mother in law that told me about something she had seen on tv about depression meds and being pregnant. Well my mother in law used to be a nurse. So I stopped taking Paxil ASAP. But I think it was to late!!! My daughter Dakota has just turn 1 in 2003 it was a tuesday well that friday she had an appointment to have her heart look at. Their was a problem SHE HAD A HOLE IN HER HEART. My family has NO history of birth defects. I didn't know what to do. My hubby was in basic training. (Army) Well once the three of us moved to Ft Lewis Wa the doctors here had a look at Dakota's heart. She has to have surgery In Seattle. About 5-7 hours after her surgery her little heart was well. Everything went great. When the doctor told us her heart was fixed i cryed and cryed and gave my little girl the biggest hug and kiss. Soon she will be 5 years old and still going strong. Her little sister Lily she has no heart problems but I was not on Paxil with her. How do I find out forsure it was Paxil that hurt my little girl. My motherly feeling tells me it was!!!
armykoenig2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #50
scotty
Administrator

Amy, I would not be surprised if Paxil was the cause. It's worth contacting a lawyer to get all the records to review.

I'm so happy to hear that she's doing well.

MLK