our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 02-09-2006, 09:09 AM   #1
Trying66

Obsessed with buying things?

Any one else have an issue with the need to buy things during Paxil use and/or withdrawal? That seems to be a big issue with my son. It started when he was on the full dose of Paxil. First he wants this, then that and on and on and on. Once he gets what he wants, he's on to the next want. It's as if he is never satisfied for long. Whatever it is that he is wanting, he can't seem to get out of his head. I try to change the subject but it inevitably comes back again. It's strange because I honestly don't think he can help it or that he realizes it.

I can't help but think that it has something to do with Paxil/Paxil withdrawal induced mania. It's more like an obsession than a kid just wanting something. Whatever it is, it's driving me nuts.

Anyone else have that kind of symptom or know anything about it?
Trying66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
rdjanis
"has a lavender scented keyboard"

Re: Obsessed with buying things?

This topic has been discussed many times, people get obsessed with shopping, get themselves into debt etc while on paxil. However we didn't have that problem, my child would not leave the house for anything, she was frightened to go to the store, and if and when I got her out, she could not make her mind up on what she wanted. She did not even have the capability of choosing a candy bar during withdrawal.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
stevenwm

It sounds like he has mania induced by paxil which is the same symptom of bipolar.The manic episodes causes one to go on dangerous spending sprees like paxil caused me to.

Hope this helps.
Steven.
Weaning route=Day.
D.1- 17.5MG for 4 days.
D.5-15MG for 3 days.
D.8-10MG for 3 days.
D.11-5MG for 2 days.
D.13-0MG since 12/28/2005.
Withdrawls YES!ZAPS-ect.Oh and I gained 65 pounds while on the poision.

When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them.

Rodney Dangerfield
stevenwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
feelin'_wiggy

It is an obsessive/compulsive thing. You get an idea stuck in your head -- oh, man, I've got to have a pair of purple shoes, or whatever -- and it drives you nuts until you get it. It happened to me far too often while on Paxil and the other meds. It's a little different than the manic spending sprees, I think. In that case, I bought things without much forethought because shopping itself was just so much fun. I'd look at things I bought a few days later and think why the hell did I want that. Of course, by then I was usually too exhausted to return them.

...the most you can hope is to be a little less, in the end, the creature you were in the beginning and the middle. -- Samuel Beckett (The Unnamable)
1998: Paxil prescribed during mother's battle with cancer.
07/03 thru 05/05: Poop out; 2 botched attempts at wd; bipolar dx; more drugs added
04/05: quit lithium, Adderall and Xanax
05/05: Began 3rd attempt at wd
07/22/05: Liberated!

http://www.benzo.org.uk
feelin'_wiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:02 PM   #6
Katesmom

there also seems to an impulse control issue, where you see something you like and instead of simply appreciating it, you have to have it. Barbie has talked about her husband going throught this.

started Paxil Oct. 2003 for PIH
Paxil free since 19 Jul 2005

". . .the cruelest lies are often told without a word. . .the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." -- Ben Folds
Katesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #7
Light

On meds, I needed every new gadget... took out too many student loans, etc. In withdrawal I desired almost nothing.

Some people become hypomanic or even manic in withdrawal. If the impulse to shop was accompanied by other symptoms it would support this. These would include reduced need for sleep, talking fast, having lots of new goals and ideas, hypersexuality, judgement problems, etc. In the absense of other symptoms though I wouldn't automatically conclude that he is experiencing hypomania or mania.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:25 PM   #8
Buxy`s Back

mmm my wardrobes were bulging on seroxat,my credit cards were exhausted and most clothes had tags on till i gave them away,was never like it b4 seroxat,during withdrawal i was the same only recently has it settled down and i dont have the cravings to shop till i drop,only thing was though i lost 4 dress sizes in withdrawal so did genuinely have to buy a new wardobe,7 black bags of brand new bigger sizes (bought while on seroxat) went to my niece

September 2009, not in severe hell just moderate hell, still recovering Joanne.

LITTLE EVIL MEN HIDE BEHIND BIG COMPANY NAMES................QUOTE BY......MOI
Buxy`s Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #9
safarigal

I wasted way too much money while on Paxil and during withdrawal. Definately has to do with inhibited impulse control. I still have stuff to get rid of.

Paxil free since Nov 2002!

Forum Rules

Withdrawal FAQ
safarigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:22 PM   #10
scotty
Administrator

It's that altered impulse control that contributes to the raging also.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #11
jenS

I am obsessed with sex right now, not buying things. It makes my husband happy, he didn't get any the whole time I was on paxil.

<okay, not the *whole* time>
Spring 2005: Switched to generic Paxil 20mg.
Summer 2005: Tapered to 10mg.
January 11, 2006: Tapered to 5mg.
Januray 26, 2006: Down to 2.5mg. (size 14)
February 4, 2006: PAXIL FREE (after 9 years)
February 2007: Lost all my Paxil weight (30 lbs.)

Kill fatigue with B Complex.
jenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #12
Trying66

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelin'_wiggy
It is an obsessive/compulsive thing. You get an idea stuck in your head -- oh, man, I've got to have a pair of purple shoes, or whatever -- and it drives you nuts until you get it. It happened to me far too often while on Paxil and the other meds. It's a little different than the manic spending sprees, I think. In that case, I bought things without much forethought because shopping itself was just so much fun. I'd look at things I bought a few days later and think why the hell did I want that. Of course, by then I was usually too exhausted to return them.
That is it. It's like he can't get it out of his head until he gets it. He was not like this before we put him on Paxil. Therefore, I am hoping it will go away once he gets past paxil withdrawal. I am worried about it though, because I have read articles about bipolar children which mention this sort of behavior. I hope and pray that this is the Paxil.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #13
Trying66

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty
It's that altered impulse control that contributes to the raging also.
Well hopefully it will go away eventually. Although it is driving me crazy, I am more worried about it's similarity to bipolar.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #14
sherijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying66
Well hopefully it will go away eventually. Although it is driving me crazy, I am more worried about it's similarity to bipolar.
it is similar to bi-polar, but then so many people who go to the doc coming off this drug end up getting diagnosed with bi-polar!

he is not bi-polar, he is just withdrawing from paxil.. don't believe that mumbo jumbo, you are doing so well!

sheri
sherijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:57 PM   #15
feelin'_wiggy

Trying, I was diagnosed as bipolar in year six, and was prescribed lithium. That occurred a year after I was diagnosed with ADD and started taking Adderall. I was absolutely hypomanic, but it was drug induced. I had never been bipolar before in all of my 40-something years, and I am not that way now. Don't even try to diagnose your son's mental state until he is at least one year drug free. Poor kid. I feel so sad when I think about him and all the youngsters who take these damn poisons.

...the most you can hope is to be a little less, in the end, the creature you were in the beginning and the middle. -- Samuel Beckett (The Unnamable)
1998: Paxil prescribed during mother's battle with cancer.
07/03 thru 05/05: Poop out; 2 botched attempts at wd; bipolar dx; more drugs added
04/05: quit lithium, Adderall and Xanax
05/05: Began 3rd attempt at wd
07/22/05: Liberated!

http://www.benzo.org.uk
feelin'_wiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:59 PM   #16
scotty
Administrator

Trying, Ryan was "diagnosed" with a mood disorder (aka bipolar) in withdrawal also. Hmm, not bipolar today!!!

MLK
Old 02-09-2006, 10:01 PM   #17
Trying66

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I refuse to let the doc give him another diagnosis until post paxil withdrawal, but I couldn't help but notice the similarity to bipolar and for his sake, it scared me. Was hoping that some of you would say that you had experienced something similar as a result of paxil. I keep hanging onto the fact that I didn't see any of this behavior before the paxil.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:02 PM   #18
Trying66

Quote:
Trying, Ryan was "diagnosed" with a mood disorder (aka bipolar) in withdrawal also. Hmm, not bipolar today!!!
That is the hope I was looking for. I just want it to be because of the paxil and not anything else.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #19
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying66
I keep hanging onto the fact that I didn't see any of this behavior before the paxil.
That's what you have to keep reminding yourself of. Believe me there were many days when I questioned what I was doing and what I was seeing. It usually corresponded with someone elses opinion.... so I stopped listening to others opinions and started trusting my own!!!

MLK
Old 02-09-2006, 10:17 PM   #20
Trying66

Quote:
That's what you have to keep reminding yourself of. Believe me there were many days when I questioned what I was doing and what I was seeing. It usually corresponded with someone elses opinion.... so I stopped listening to others opinions and started trusting my own!!!
Okay, I'll trust mine and yours.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:44 PM   #21
barbie

Yes, my husband does a good job at finding ways to spend money these days. Paxil related? I'm not sure, but before paxil he was conservative. He rarely spent money on himself.

Barbie
barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:17 AM   #22
ihatezaps
"Keep calm and carry on!"

Yes, Trying, I went through that being obsessed with buying things. Never atttributed to Paxil until I read about it happening to other people and seeing it diminish as I weaned to lower doses. Luckily I was a broke student with no credit card for most of my time on Paxil so I didn't put myself into debt.

I really feel for you and your son. I was pretty young when I went on Paxil, not quite as young as your son though. It was a hard time for me and my family, especially my mother. I tried to quit a few times, once maybe about a year after I started, and it was hell. It really affected everyone in my family and I feel terrible for that. You are a good mother and I will pray for you that you will make it through this.

Approximately 8 years Paxil 20 mg. Side effects: weight gain, personality changes, no motivation, memory loss, stomach problems, dizziness, headaches, excessive sleeping and eating, vivid dreams. Did a very slow taper, dropping 1/2 mg at a time using liquid Paxil. Paxil free as of 1/13/2007
ihatezaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:49 AM   #23
Trying66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatezaps
Yes, Trying, I went through that being obsessed with buying things. Never atttributed to Paxil until I read about it happening to other people and seeing it diminish as I weaned to lower doses. Luckily I was a broke student with no credit card for most of my time on Paxil so I didn't put myself into debt.

I really feel for you and your son. I was pretty young when I went on Paxil, not quite as young as your son though. It was a hard time for me and my family, especially my mother. I tried to quit a few times, once maybe about a year after I started, and it was hell. It really affected everyone in my family and I feel terrible for that. You are a good mother and I will pray for you that you will make it through this.
It does affect everyone in the family. I don't think you need to feel bad about it though. We have been through hell with my son, but we certainly don't want him to feel guilty. It's because of all of you guys, that we are educated enough to know that it is Paxil's fault, not his. If anyone should feel guilty about what we've all been through, it's the dam drug company. That is where my anger lies.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:57 AM   #24
Trying66

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie
Yes, my husband does a good job at finding ways to spend money these days. Paxil related? I'm not sure, but before paxil he was conservative. He rarely spent money on himself.
I know I won't know for sure until we are way past the Paxil withdrawal. It's the medical community that keeps scaring me. It seems to be the general consensus that those who become manic while on Paxil, were already suffering from bipolar. I don't believe that and I don't want to believe that. I just want my kid back, the way he was before paxil. I can deal with the anxiety.

For now, I just keep listening to Rita and Laurie, who have been through this with their kids. Their kids are doing well today. I pray it will be the same for us.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:17 PM   #25
Charlie

Trying
In a Japanese study Paxil was found to induce mania in almost 9% of the people thet took it. Don't let the medical community scare you. I have had the honor of meeting Laurie's son Ryan and he is as normal as any teenage boy. I have also met othe young people that suffered esentially the same fate and after Paxil they are fine. Just remember to taper slow and be there for him and everything will work out in the end.

Knowledge speaks ....... Wisdom listens

Charlie

www.ThePaxilProtest.com
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote