our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Methods of Wellbeing
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Methods of Wellbeing A discussion on how you're managing your state of health (herbs, vitamins, acupuncture, chiropractic etc.) NO LINKING TO COMMERCIAL SITES PLEASE. Paxilprogress does not investigate nor endorse any supplement program.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 02-11-2006, 06:02 PM   #1
katyajini

noni juice, the good and the bad

What are your experiences with this supplement/food? From what I read on the web it is a miracle and so I think it is too good to be true

Still, I hear it some morphine like sedating effect and can help with the terrible, unrelenting anxiety and depression I am going through. On the other hand I could have a explosive bad reaction to it as some people do to supplements during withdrawal.

Overall, would this be good thing to try?

Thanks,

Katyajini
katyajini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
I-H8-Paxil

Re: noni juice, the good and the bad

I haven't tried it but when I am unsure of how I will react to something, I start with a very small dosage. In this case, I would start with somthing as small as a teaspoon and work my way up.
I-H8-Paxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
Charlie

I take about 2 ounces a day after dinner to help me sleep. I wouldn't say it is like a sedative at least not for me nut it seems to help. I am not going through withdrawal though so your experience could be different. I get the Hawaiian Noni because that is all that's available at the health food store here. The taste is nasty but I also take an ounce of Vinegar to help my stomach so I've started mixing them together. Sounds awful but it actually makes both easier for me to take. I still chase it with a shot of coke or tea to lessen the aftertaste.

I believe I can say without fail you will never get hooked on it for the taste.

Knowledge speaks ....... Wisdom listens

Charlie

www.ThePaxilProtest.com
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
silence4now

That's interesting Charlie. We used to have something down here called "joggin' in a jug". I think it was grape juice and vinegar. People who drank it swore by it - especially for arthritis. I haven't tried Noni, but from what I understand it's about as mild as aloe vera juice or something like that.
silence4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
dar7726
Banned

Noni (Morinda citrifolia) is wonderful in my opinion. If I had the money I would take it all the time. I took it during the beginning of withdrawal....when the muscle pains were extremely severe. After starting noni...it took a few days to start working, I would have NO muscle pain at all. Over time I would feel as if I must have passed the muscle pain/fibro portion of withdrawal, and would stop taking or run out of it. Over the course of a few days to a week or so the pains would start to come back. Start the NONI then gone again.

Mind you there are cheap versions of NONI everywhere now. They have noni in them but they are watered down and have added fruit juices and sugars added. What I took was pure noni with nothing added. Are they helpful....I don't know.

Noni is a fruit. Simple as that...that has been used in the polynesian islands for hundreds of years. It is revered like it is holy. The trees often planted near the churches. It has been used for just about everything.

The noni I used was called Aloha Noni from bioinnovations.net. It is owned by Dr. Becker who hosts the health show I'm always talking about. When I received it, it came with a large packet of information about the scientific research that had been done concerning its benefits.

I've heard Dr. Becker speak about it's benefits in helping diabetes, cancer, sleep, depression, arthritis etc. It's mostly that it boost your immune system.

Dr Tracy also talks about it being good for the dissociative state often experienced during withdrawal. I know nothing about that.

Here's what she's said about it.

"Noni is very helpful. It has a digestive enzyme in it that is the active ingredient. Noni has been used in the islands for years for all sorts of ailments. Noni juice will help you get rid of the dissociative state that comes from these drugs. That almost being in a dream state that you feel in the withdrawal. It will help to prevent mania. She has been amazed with what she has seen Noni do, with those who have gone manic because of these drugs."
dar7726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:25 PM   #7
dar7726
Banned

You also might find these interesting studies of noni on pubmed.

Depression.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

Cancer:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...arch&DB=pubmed
Old 02-12-2006, 09:15 PM   #8
dar7726
Banned

Just came back to this tread to check something. About the morphine comment. I learned from Dr. Becker that it is suppose to be 75% as affective as morphine for pain without the side effects. A natural cox 2 inhibitor. I'd say it worked for me.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
trying to be zen

I haven't tried noni juice, it can be pretty expensive...BUT I've heard nothing bad about it...my sister was participating in seminars to start selling noni (she passed away last year). She was ALWAYS on my case about getting off the SSRI's and hopping on the noni wagon. I always trusted her word! This story has a sad ending because at the point she had me convinced to wean off the celexa and start on noni...she passed away...then i didn't feel like i was in any shape to start weaning off.
So, Noni juice AWSOME!!!!!

diagnosed with "chemical imbalance" and put on 60 mg of paxil in 1994
quit cold turkey for 2 months(bad move) then put on 20mg of paxil in 1996
tired of gaining weight, I switched to 20mg of celexa in 1998
celexa free (for good i hope) in Feb 2006
trying to be zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:02 PM   #10
katyajini

I am more and more tempted to try this.

Has anyone tried it for depression or anxiety?

dar7726, Thanks for all the information. How much do you take? I need some help (relief from suicidality and despair) but I am concerned if it might delay the natural healing process.

Thanks,

Katyajini
Old 02-13-2006, 08:13 PM   #11
dar7726
Banned

First let me say this up front. NO I Am not a sales rep for noni or bioinnovations and get not kick backs or anything of the sort.

So with that said, I wanted to say that I was at the small local health food store this evening and noticed that they were selling Tahition NONI. That is the one that Dr. Tracy mentions on her tape. So I took a look at it and it was all natural... the label said nothing was added. As I was checking it over and talking to Doug about it the sales clerk (who was checking the prices for the lady near by) came up and said that $28.something. It was a one quart bottle. That is what they usually come in.

I looked at Doug and said, I have to. He shook his head and said don't. I said I can't help it I have to. I said excuse me...but I just wanted to tell you that you can buy "pure" Noni from an internet site for about $18 a bottle at bioinnovation.net. The thing is, to get the price you have to buy 4 quarts. She thanked me and we went on our way. Doug said, you are going to get us thrown out of here. Hehe...

Anyway thought I'd pass that tip along for those interested. I think you can buy Tahition Noni also on the net. I have no idea of the price however.

Katajini, Noni is a fruit. Like orange is a fruit. Like an apple is a fruit. It's just that it has so many nutrients, enzymes etc that are health promoting and beneficial to the body. It is meant to improve the immune system. Just like eating good foods do or taking supplements to get nutrients that you don't get in your diet. There is nothing in it that could/would delay healing.

Darlene
Old 02-13-2006, 08:19 PM   #12
dar7726
Banned

Just in case you have not clicked on the Pubmed article on depression here it is. If you find it hard to understand...basically they are saying they forced mice to swim which generally illicits a depression response and the Noni helped them recover.

The effect of Morinda officinalis How, a Chinese traditional medicinal plant, on the DRL 72-s schedule in rats and the forced swimming test in mice.

Zhang ZQ, Yuan L, Yang M, Luo ZP, Zhao YM.

Division of Psychopharmacology, Beijing Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, 27 Taiping Road, Beijing, 100850, China. zzhongqi@yahoo.com.cn

The present study observed the antidepressant-like action of the medicinal plant Morinda officinalis in the differential reinforcement of low rate 72-s (DRL 72-s) schedule, a behavioral screen selective and sensitive to antidepressant drugs, and the forced swimming test, a well-known animal model of depression. In the DRL 72-s schedule in rats, the plant extract (25-50 mg/kg), similar to clinically effective antidepressant drug desipramine (5-10 mg/kg), significantly reduced response rate and efficiency ratio while at the same time increasing reinforcement rate. In the forced swimming test in mice, the plant extract (50 mg/kg), like the effect of desipramine (20 mg/kg), also elicited a significant reduction in the duration of immobility. A tendency to this phenomenon could be seen at the dose of 100 mg/kg. Meanwhile, the plant extract, in the effective doses for the forced swimming test, had no effects on spontaneous motor activity in mice. These findings provide further support for the conclusion that M. officinalis extract possesses the antidepressant effect.

PMID: 11900767 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Old 02-14-2006, 12:30 AM   #13
katyajini

Hi dar7726,

thanks for your reply. I had read that abstract actually. I was just wondering if anyone (a human being) living real life and going through depression found relief drinking Noni juice.

By the way, how much of the juice do you take? And if I got some I would get it on line.

thanks again,

Katyajini
Old 02-14-2006, 07:45 AM   #14
dar7726
Banned

I'm going by what Dr. B. says daily on the health show. I've heard him advise his callers to keep it in their system taking small amounts throughout the day. For extreme cases he may suggest up to 4 oz. But generall 1 to 2 oz through the day. I would generally go in ever couple of hours and just take a small bit from the bottle to try and make it last as long as possible.

He often suggests it for depressed patients and I'm sure I got some other benefits when taking it other than the reduction in fibro pain.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:49 AM   #15
Trying66

If anyone here tries the Noni juice, please let me know how it worked for you.
Trying66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:19 AM   #16
dar7726
Banned

I've tried it Trying, and it worked on the fibro and chronic fatigue I was feeling at the time. I do recall feeling better when I was taking it than I did before or after stopping. I would still be taking it if it was not so expensive. Even at $18 a bottle it's difficult when things are tight.

But I got it free twice and bought it once (that makes 12 one quart bottles that helped me throught the worse of the early withdrawal) when calling into Dr. B's show and will give the phone number for others to call if you all wish. He almost always sends free Noni when you pose a health question on his TV show.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:11 AM   #17
trying to be zen

Sorry it took so long to respond...I work out of town 4 days a week and usually no chance to get online anywhere...looks like you got good answers from alot of people. I just wanted to appologize for not responding sooner

diagnosed with "chemical imbalance" and put on 60 mg of paxil in 1994
quit cold turkey for 2 months(bad move) then put on 20mg of paxil in 1996
tired of gaining weight, I switched to 20mg of celexa in 1998
celexa free (for good i hope) in Feb 2006
trying to be zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #18
edrophis

This is the old thread about Noni Juice that I was looking for,I know everyone is different,but I have only been taking Noni Juice for a little over a week,and I can definately say that it helps me so far anyway.
edrophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #19
Rachelina

In your other thread you said it had stopped your depersonalization - can you talk more about this and anything else that it's helped you with? Dp is my absolute worst symptom....I think it might be worth trying this stuff.
Oct 27 - 2.6 mg
Dec 8 - 2.5 mg
Feb 23 - 2.4 mg
April 6 - 2.3 mg
Rachelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #20
edrophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelina View Post
In your other thread you said it had stopped your depersonalization - can you talk more about this and anything else that it's helped you with? Dp is my absolute worst symptom....I think it might be worth trying this stuff.
Well I have just been taking it for a little over a week,but I think that it is mildly helping my brain fog,and some of my imflammation.
edrophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:50 AM   #21
NeuronTwist
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar7726 View Post
Just in case you have not clicked on the Pubmed article on depression here it is. If you find it hard to understand...basically they are saying they forced mice to swim which generally illicits a depression response and the Noni helped them recover.

The effect of Morinda officinalis How, a Chinese traditional medicinal plant, on the DRL 72-s schedule in rats and the forced swimming test in mice.

Zhang ZQ, Yuan L, Yang M, Luo ZP, Zhao YM.

Division of Psychopharmacology, Beijing Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, 27 Taiping Road, Beijing, 100850, China. zzhongqi@yahoo.com.cn

The present study observed the antidepressant-like action of the medicinal plant Morinda officinalis in the differential reinforcement of low rate 72-s (DRL 72-s) schedule, a behavioral screen selective and sensitive to antidepressant drugs, and the forced swimming test, a well-known animal model of depression. In the DRL 72-s schedule in rats, the plant extract (25-50 mg/kg), similar to clinically effective antidepressant drug desipramine (5-10 mg/kg), significantly reduced response rate and efficiency ratio while at the same time increasing reinforcement rate. In the forced swimming test in mice, the plant extract (50 mg/kg), like the effect of desipramine (20 mg/kg), also elicited a significant reduction in the duration of immobility. A tendency to this phenomenon could be seen at the dose of 100 mg/kg. Meanwhile, the plant extract, in the effective doses for the forced swimming test, had no effects on spontaneous motor activity in mice. These findings provide further support for the conclusion that M. officinalis extract possesses the antidepressant effect.

PMID: 11900767 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
I wouldn't trust anything the NIMH says. There are no facts about depression. It's not a disease. Its a normal human emotion. Some people get extremely depressed, thats the sign of an underlying real PHYSICAL BIOLOGICAL medical problem causing it. Once everything is clear you start to look at other things that can be causing the depression. Sometimes its an emotional/spiritual problem that can be helped with talk therapy and some reassurance. An invented "chemical imbalance" in the brain as psychiatrists claim is NOT the cause of deep depression. Psychiatric drugs are no more effective than placebos and simply do NOT work. Those who say they derive real life saving benefits from it are living in a fantasy world. The drugs are no more effective than sugar pills. The placebo effect is very strong. Its all in the mind.

Conclusion: I wouldn't trust ANYTHING the NIMH says. Its all invented theory not scientific fact.
NeuronTwist is offline   Reply With Quote