our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 02-28-2006, 06:13 PM   #1
nopxl

Heart Problems and Paxil Withdrawal

The saga continues. Since stopping Paxil CT in December, I have been having chest pain, indigestion and heartburn (along with back and neck pain) and it all seemed connected to these PVCs (pre-ventricular contractions) I kept getting. So I went to the cardiologist and he did a sonogram of my heart. He found that I have Mitra Valve Prolapse, or MVP. Interestingly, I did not have this condition two years ago when I had a cardio work-up. I also have never had a PVC - before starting and stopping Paxil. I went on to an MVP website and this facility in Birmingham Ala. does a full workup on people with MVP and it included an autonomic nervous system check to see if the MVPs are being caused by an imbalance in a person's CNS (autonomic as opposed to sympathetic). They say that the CNS affects the rythm of your heart. I wonder if the shock to my CNS by stopping Paxil has not damaged my heart. I know we are giunea pigs and not a lot of studies have been conducted to test the long-term effects of Paxil, but I have to think that the withdrawal has caused some permanent damage. The facts section of the MVP website says that it does not go away. That really sucks, because I may have to live with the PVCs and the MVP for the rest of my life (38 now). Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or similar experiences?
nopxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
scotty
Administrator

Re: Heart Problems and Paxil Withdrawal

Check out this thread... all about paxil and the heart. This alot of information on this that is NOT getting to the cardiologists

http://www.paxilprogress.org/forums/...ad.php?t=15332

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
Healing

nopaxl -- First of all, I'm really sorry you're dealing with this. Now, I'm very ignorant about the conditions you're talking about but I would not be at all surprised if they remitted after sufficient recovery time post-Paxil.
Healing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
sherijo
Banned

I started to read that link Laurie, but it makes me too upset! I spend every day reminding myself that I am not going to die from this.. so I can't read stuff that says that there is a possiblity of the contrary.

sheri
sherijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:03 PM   #5
scotty
Administrator

Sheri, it is hard to read, but it's SO important to know. And it's even more important to get this information out there, so that we can stop this insanity. I totally understand that it's distressing.. so I'll yell twice as loud for you!!!

MLK
Old 02-28-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
sherijo
Banned

Thank you Laurie.. Normally it wouldn't bother me.. but i have been getting a little obsessive lately and i am just proecting myself right now by being an ostrich.
sheri
sherijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:46 AM   #7
silence4now

Yes, had MVP symptoms but no test confirmed it. I've wondered if it was there but aggravated by Paxil withdrawal, or brought on by Paxil withdrawal. There are some arguments out there that suggest MVP is not always a defect but a symptom related to stress-related disorders. Not many options for treatment or cure. Magnesium and anything that helps stress seem to also improve MVP symptoms. Those who have MVP also seem to be more susceptible to costochondritis, of which I also struggle with.
silence4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
Scott

i had those same symptoms.. palpitations, extra beats etc... magnesium really helped me with this.

What has happened to it all?
Crazy, some are saying
Where is the life that I recognize?
Gone away

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

surviving an ssri reaction
alternative anxiety treatments
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:03 AM   #9
zappelina

This makes me worried! Hope itīs all withdrawal related and heals eventually. Iīve had strange uneven heartbeats all the time since quitting and Iīm constantly out of breath. I know for a fact that a man who quit Celexa became ill, was taken into hospital and diagnosed with cardiac failure. He was old but his problems came suddenly after stopping the Celexa.

2004 tapered Zoloft too quickly after sudden onset of muscle stiffness and extreme restlessness on full dose. Severe and prolonged WD problem with a long list of symptoms. Considerable mental but very little physical improvement so far. Last Zoloft dose April 18 2004.
zappelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
MizzT
Banned

me too. extra beats. racing heart. 120, 130 BPM while BP is normal.
recently....from the stress i have been under i have been having weird rhythms and tightness and chest pain.....and dare i say pain in the left arm, tingling etc etc. I THINK its just stress. but i am taking all this info to my NMT next week.
hopefully we can get some of it shifted and stop the chest pain.
MizzT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:06 AM   #11
scotty
Administrator

The cardiac problems are slowly coming to light. You cannot "charge" a body with adrenalin and not effect the heart.

MLK
Old 03-01-2006, 11:07 AM   #12
Scott

i would also get feelings of not being able to take full breaths.. or so it felt.. the out of breath thing. So many disturbing things go on at once it's hard to keep track.

What has happened to it all?
Crazy, some are saying
Where is the life that I recognize?
Gone away

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

surviving an ssri reaction
alternative anxiety treatments
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:10 PM   #13
nopxl

I have been doing some research since being diagnosed with MVP. It seems that a condition called dysautonomia can cause MVP. What is interesting is that dysautonomia is an imbalance in a person's CNS (autonomic). More interesting are the symptoms like, physical pain (chest, neck and back), GI upset, heart palpatations, panic attacks, etc. My CNS was shocked really bad when I quit CT and I am paying for that mistake on my part. I think we should look more into this condition, since it sounds like we all suffer from some sort of CNS imbalance post paxil (and tapering). I have included the link to the website I was on FYI.

http://www.mvprolapse.com/dysautonomia.html
nopxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #14
zappelina

The breathlessness isnīt just a feeling for me, itīs very real indeed. I was constantly cyanotic until a few weeks ago, blue lips, hands and feet, just like the SSRI babies.A bit better lately but still keeps coming back. Got blood tests in the ER that actually proved it but the doctor refused to believe the test results and kept insisting it canīt happen and that she must have drawn blood from the vein! She draw the test FOUR times Then she wanted me to see the ER psychiatrist!! So I got no help and went home again. Refuse to go there again, it was humiliating.

2004 tapered Zoloft too quickly after sudden onset of muscle stiffness and extreme restlessness on full dose. Severe and prolonged WD problem with a long list of symptoms. Considerable mental but very little physical improvement so far. Last Zoloft dose April 18 2004.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:24 PM   #15
sheacarney

During the first six months of withdrawal, my heart rate never dropped below 95 bpm. The last year I was ON Paxil, my resting heart rate would jump up to 200 bpm+, on a regular basis, right out of a sound sleep. A cardiologist originally refused to believe that this was Paxil related. He thought it was coincidence and that I had a heart problem that just emerged while I was taking Paxil. He prescribed atenolol and said I could be a candidate for an ablation, so as to burn away the "pathway" that caused my heart to race. At eight months off Paxil, this all ended. GONE. My cardiologist was baffled. He noted in my records that my condition is resolved...six-eight months off Paxil.

-Shea

Drug free since April 12th, 2005
sheacarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:12 AM   #16
zappelina

Why am I not surprised to read this Shea? Because by now I believe these evil drugs can cause just about anything, it comes while you´re on them, in withdrawal or both. Really glad your heart is back to normal! Did your cardiologist register your problems as a paxil side effect?

Had a dream, or should I say nightmare, last night. I dreamed that the only thing that could relieve my awful breathing problems and muscle damage was Paxil and I held a handful of pills in my hand and took two of them and felt better immediately. Woke up sweating and trembling with the usual heart artythmia that I have all the time, even when not anxious.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:15 AM   #17
sheacarney

I think it's still a question mark, in my cardiologist's mind. He asked that I have the attoneys, representing me, contact him, as he is "willing to learn more" about the problems associated with these drugs.

-Shea

Drug free since April 12th, 2005
sheacarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:44 AM   #18
zappelina

Hope his interest is sincere. The more doctors that become aware of the problems, the better. They talk to each other and even if they don´t believe what they hear about it the first time, a seed is always planted somewhere in their minds and can make them draw some conclusions or at least make them suspicious the next time they get a patient with similar health issues. My optician started thinking when some ten years ago she started to get patients who suddenly had become short sighted which should never happen to and adult. She found there was a connection between SSRI treatment and the sudden vision impairments and has reported it to eye doctors she cooperates with.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:21 AM   #19
feelin'_wiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheacarney
I think it's still a question mark, in my cardiologist's mind. He asked that I have the attoneys, representing me, contact him, as he is "willing to learn more" about the problems associated with these drugs.

-Shea
Sounds like he's more interested in learning about Paxil litigation. If he wants to learn about Paxil withdrawal, he should visit this website.

...the most you can hope is to be a little less, in the end, the creature you were in the beginning and the middle. -- Samuel Beckett (The Unnamable)
1998: Paxil prescribed during mother's battle with cancer.
07/03 thru 05/05: Poop out; 2 botched attempts at wd; bipolar dx; more drugs added
04/05: quit lithium, Adderall and Xanax
05/05: Began 3rd attempt at wd
07/22/05: Liberated!

http://www.benzo.org.uk
feelin'_wiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:52 AM   #20
feelin'_wiggy

I was diagnosed with MVP and a heart murmur almost 20 years ago during a period when I suffered with severe panic and anxiety disorder. And I do mean severe. I lived in a constant state of panic. When I did sleep at night, I would awaken with a racing heart and tingling in my extremeties.

After my third trip to the ER, the doctor decided to admit me for a cardiac work up, and the tests showed MVP. At the time this episode started, I was not taking any meds. After a few months, however, I was addicted to Xanax, which my internist had cavalierly prescribed, ignoring my concerns about addiction and impaired mental function. Xanax did subdue the anxiety, but when I stopped taking it -- cold turkey, thanks to my stupid doctor -- the chest pains returned with a vengeance. A 3-4 month course of Buspar and a year of therapy set me straight, and I never had another panic attack.

The MVP, however, still flares up when I'm faced with stress. It's the reason I started taking AD's in the first place. during the period after my mother was diagnosed with cancer, I suffered with daily chest pains, anxiety, and insomnia. Naturally, I was depressed, too, but my chief complaint, the one that kept me going back to my doctor, were the chest pains and insomnia. He first prescribed Remeron, and later changed that to Paxil. I won't go into all the other tragic events that occurred within a relatively short period of time, but suffice to say that I treated my anxiety and MVP with Paxil and Xanax for several years.

During w/l, the chest pains and PVC's occurred almost non-stop for weeks. But I've become so accustomed to then, that they don't alarm me anymore. I'm due for an EKG soon, the first in a few years. I'm curious to see if there has been any change since w/l.

I have found that magnesium helps the PvC's, and fish oil is good for vascular health. Aerobic exercise will keep the heart muscle happy. Also, be sure that you tell your dentist, as you will have to pre-medicate with antibiotics before having any dental work done.

...the most you can hope is to be a little less, in the end, the creature you were in the beginning and the middle. -- Samuel Beckett (The Unnamable)
07/03 thru 05/05: Poop out; 2 botched attempts at wd; bipolar dx; more drugs added

Old 03-02-2006, 05:05 PM   #21
Gottabestrong

my question is, i now look back and have noticed that i have had palpatations for a long time now, msotly noticing my heartbeat/pulse before going to bed, and "pause" beats every once so often, but now the past month i have had them a couple of times through out the day.....

are there ppl here who have had lots of palps during the day, and have had them disappear after a while of withdrawal?

what tests do i need to take to check for MVP ? and what is MVP ??

thanks again

PS. NOPXL Have hope if you have faith in God, and treat your body right and be positive, this may all pass, again, not much is known about paxil and the infinite variables of how ppl's bodies respond and chage/heal during and after the poison!
Gottabestrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:32 PM   #22
Gottabestrong

FEELING WIGGY - are you doing better now since withdrawing? have your PVC's gotten better?

also, waht do PVC's feel like? dop they feel like "pauses" ?
anyone feel presses, and pressures on the chest from time to time through out the day?
Old 03-02-2006, 06:47 PM   #23
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottabestrong
what tests do i need to take to check for MVP ? and what is MVP ??
Mitral Valve Prolapse. The one valve of the heart doesn't close properly. Usually asymptomatic, but it puts one at risk for bacteria to effect the valve. An echocardiogram will show if this is present. MVP can cause palpatations, but I would say that withdrawal is more of an cause.

MLK

Last edited by scotty : 03-02-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #24
feelin'_wiggy

Gottabestrong, yes, my MVP symptoms have calmed considerably. In the past two months, I've had two or three bad days. When it flares up, my heart feels like it's beating a mile a minute, but when I take my pulse, it's normal or just accelerated. I get tightness in the chest, and sometimes it feels like my heart is just flopping around in there.

Check out this link that nopxl posted. It's got some very good updated information on the subject.

http://www.mvprolapse.com/dysautonomia.html

Old 03-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #25
Gottabestrong

im so happy to hear for you wiggy! now has it ever gotten so bad th=at you fainted or were feeling like u would faint?

and anyone feel pressure in various parts of chest?

thanks