our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 03-13-2006, 09:25 AM   #1
aaric

How did you feel when you started taking Paxil?

Sorry I am flooding this board with questions. I just have so many! When I first started taking Paxil I was prescribed 1 40mg pill a day. The first day taking it I felt weird. Actually the first week. I had the shakes. My heart was beating REALLY fast, my breathing was weird. I called the pharmacy and they said to stay on it and I'd get used to it. I couldn't sleep and felt crazy. Anyone else experience this?
80MG of Paxil
.5MG of XANAX
50MG of SEROQUEL
Quit All Cold Turkey (crazy idea)

Fast Forward to 2012
100mg of Seroquel switched to Thorazine
Lithium
to Nothing but now I feel like I need something
aaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
scotty
Administrator

Re: How did you feel when you started taking Paxil?

Aaric, that is classic akasthesia!

Akathisia (or "acathisia") is an often extremely unpleasant subjective sensation of "inner" restlessness that manifests itself with an inability to sit still or remain motionless, hence the origin of its name: Greek a (without) + kithesia (to sit).

Akathisia may range in intensity from a mild sense of disquiet or anxiety (which may be easily overlooked) to a total inability to sit still with overwhelming anxiety and severe dysphoria (manifesting as an almost undescribable sense of terror and doom). In the most severe cases, dysphoria can be so severe that the patient is literally compelled to take action, leading, possibly, to suicide attempts. It is not unknown to have patients literally run out of a hospital or emergency room.

Akathisia is often misdiagnosed and can lead the patient to commit suicide in or outside the hospital.

When Ryan started paxil he did fine... except for massive diarrhea. He only developed adverse effects after about 3 months.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
Delynbetter

Your doctor should be slapped for starting you out that high. Proves that he didn't even bother to skim the contents of the prescribing information. Some people get that even on the smallest dose, but 40mg is just begging for it.
Delynbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:05 PM   #4
Ariella

Wow, 40 mg to start? You better be 30 years old and 400 pounds to justify and endure that instant rush of side effects. Tell your doctor about your reaction to this drug right away.

God, some doctors are dangerous.

I was started on 20mg and felt a numbing high. Anxiety got its mouth clamped shut for the first week or so, but I didn't feel much else during that period. After several weeks, the numbness was replaced by a new flavor of anxiety I never felt before, all agitated and impulsive. Anxiety on its own for me was debilitating; a depressive restraint, and kept me sitting very still. The Paxilated anxiety had me going around shouting my mouth off, abandoning privacy and respect, having fits of rage and playing loud music all the time to drown the incessant bloody ear ringing! GOD IT SUCKED!

I learned how to cope to some degree to those vicious reactions and got myself hired and daily work distractions hid many of its horrendous impact on me.

Today, I'm both Paxil and anxiety free and have been for many years thanks to getting off Paxil and having the courage to not give up and keep facing the anxiety beast on my own. Turned out that getting through anxiety was a process of getting through anxiety. I wanted instant relief and instead discovered it had to be created over years of hard work. And the hard work had nothing to do about 'doing', as much as it did about 'letting go'.
10mg September 2000 / 5mg October 2000 / FREE November 2000
Intense Withdrawal symptoms well into 2001
Withdrawal symptoms freedom by 2002
Ariella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:36 PM   #5
chrisgam

I had the same reaction as you when I started paxil and I started at only 10mg. It was the worst week and a half of my life. Withdrawal has been hellish but the first week and a half on paxil was the worst. I had the "undescribable sense of terror and doom" to the hilt! I can see why people commit suicide while starting these drugs.

On Paxil (10mg) for one year.
Tapered off over two months with almost no bad withdrawal symptoms.
Suffered severe "second wave" of withdrawal four months after taking last dose.

Sept. 2006 suffered relapse. Started Lexapro 20mg.
Stabilized. No anxiety.

May 2010 switched to generic Celexa. Still no anxiety.

Sept. 2010 Stopped Celexa. Drug free.

March 18, 2011 Drug free. So far so good. Still no anxiety.
chrisgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
velveteengreen
Banned

I definitely felt high when I first went on Celexa. It was the first drug I'd ever taken-I'd only ever had sips of alcohol before that my parents gave me, so I didn't know that what I was feeling was a "high," just like any other psychotropic drug. I remember that it was an awesome feeling-I felt super in control but careless and kind of goofy-I really liked it! Its pretty scary in retrospect that I was told that this was how "normal people" feel, by both my psych and parents. In fact, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I liked it SOOOO much that I was proactive in upping my dose. When I went into the psych for a follow up about 3 months later (can you believe it was that long) I said yeah, Its working but I don't think its enough. Up to 20 mg I went! It continued on like that until I was on 40 mg 6 months later and speeding my a$$ off.

That's why I'm convinced that SSRI's are addicting, just like crack. I craved more and more of the drug so I began to take it in the morning instead of the night so I could feel the effects of it more. I lost a lot of weight and could barely ever sleep but I liked the way I felt so much that I didn't care. The dr's should have stopped it because I already had an eating disorder and so I just lost more weight. For me, Celexa was definitely an upper and I had akasthesia all the time but I didn't even realize what was going on. I also ground my teeth all the time, like a f*cking crack addict.

Uppers, like amphetamine and crack-cocaine are dopamine reuptake inhibitors, so I wouldn't be suprised if there were similar effects in some people. I just can't believe how addicted I was, and how much I absolutely fiended for it. I looked forward to everytime I got to take the pill. Its soooooo unbelieveable in retrospect but that's how it was. I was completely convinced that I NEEDED the drug and would crumble without it. I'm so ashamed of myself because to a large degree I brought it on myself but I was only 14 so I didn't know that Celexa was a drug just like anyother, I thought it was medicine. It was only till I tried to get off that I realized that hey, wait a sec, I'm totally f*cking helpelessly addicted to a real drug!?! I was so zombied out tho that I stayed on it for another 3 years. Plus, my parents encouraged me to and assuaged all my fears with the fact that "everyone" is taking antidepressants . It makes me sick to my stomach.

The worst part of it is that if you told someone that you'd been a coke addict for 5 years they'd be like OMG are you ok?!? Think about all the damage you did to your body! But if you tell a dr. or anyone else you were on ssri's for 5 years they're like "Well, do you think you can survive with without AD's? Are you sure you don't want to try another one?" This whole industry makes me sick. Sorry I went on another rant but I get really pissed off when I think about what I did to myself.
velveteengreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #7
cinderella

Years ago when I was mildy depressed I was put on paxil, 10mg for 5 days then up to 20mg, I was ok on the 10mg but when I went to 20mg all hell broke lose, I felt so ill I couldnt get out of bed, I could not sleep, I became an insomniac. I stopped taking it for a while then started at 10mg for a month and moved up slowly. This 2nd time around I was busy withdrawing from one drug and slowly starting paxil and was ok, if I moved up to fast I felt ill (fast heart beat and very thirsty)
aug 05 10
sept 05 5mg
paxil free since oct 05
Lost 3kg in 5 months (72kg to 69kg)
still waiting for the other 11kgs to go
Still suffer morning anxiety, jittery during the day
Paxil did help my anxiety/panic when nothing else did.

March 06 Reflux, burning, more anxiety worsen. Put back another 1kg : ( (70kg)
March 20 noticing hairloss scalp more visable
March 23 (68kg)
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:59 PM   #8
sherijo
Banned

I anm terrible sensitive to drugs.. I started off on 5mgs and worked my way up.. After about a week at 5mgs, I felt good! The first week on i felt a lot of mania and aggressiveness.. did not know it then, but my family sure noticed.
sheri
sherijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:09 PM   #9
Scott

the first time i took it back in 93, and i had no clue about drugs, i felt like i was going out of my mind... but i didn't associate it with the drug. I stopped it because my vision would go out of focus at work..

What has happened to it all?
Crazy, some are saying
Where is the life that I recognize?
Gone away

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

surviving an ssri reaction
alternative anxiety treatments
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:18 PM   #10
aaric

I am 25 and 155 pounds.

so 40MG is alot for them to start me on?
80MG of Paxil
.5MG of XANAX
50MG of SEROQUEL
Quit All Cold Turkey (crazy idea)

Fast Forward to 2012
100mg of Seroquel switched to Thorazine
Lithium
to Nothing but now I feel like I need something
aaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:19 PM   #11
scotty
Administrator

That is a HUGE amount for a starting dose! At your height and weight 12.5 is probably plenty... though none is ever better.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:37 PM   #12
katkins

I also began on 40 mg. I was working 60 hours a week, I literally fell into bed when I got home, feeling like sh1t!. I thought I could throw up at any given time, my muscles ached, and my head was swimming. Within a few weeks, I woke up one day, and the world looked "different"...brighter. I can't say I am completely hate Paxil, because it did help the panic/anxiety disorder, but what I didn't realize for so long was it:
Constipated me.
made me emotionally numb.
made me gain weight, and unable to lose even though I worked out
Changed my skin and hair.
Gave me restless leg syndrome and insomnia.
Gave me migraines.
Acid reflux.

And sooo many more things!.
First time I wnet off C/T. after 2 weeks, I laid on the floor in the fetal position, literally wishing God would just take me......I went on Zoloft, and played the "finding the right A/D/ game" . Finally wound up back on paxil, and am sick and tired of being sick & tired........bye bye Paxil.
katkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:13 PM   #13
paxilinfidel

I felt like a waxed figure. Diarrhea, then constipation. More lovely experiences included nodding off at work, constant yawning, even when not sleepy, and bruxism. But I could get to sleep at night, sleep all night again, so I hung in there, eventually becoming a numbskull. Literally.
Mar. 04: increased to 25 mg.
Aug. 04: decreased to 12.5
Mar. 05: began generic 10 mg.
Oct. 05: liquid taper to 8 mg.
Jan. 06: 6 mg.
Feb. 06: 5 mg.
Mar. 14: 4 mg.
May 15: 3 mg.
July 15: 2 mg.
Sept. 1: 1 mg.til liquid is gone!
Oct. 28: PAXIL FREE
paxilinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote