our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 09-02-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
Cindywho

Half dreaming, half awake?

I'm hoping someone can relate to this because it is slightly scary! In the morning in particular I will be in the middle of a vivid dream and will incorporate not being able to open my eyes into the dream. I can then feel myself trying to wake up and get my eyes open but I am stuck half asleep and half awake! I can feel my eyes rolling around trying to see but I can't move and still feel technically asleep. Sometimes this seems to go on for awhile before I can wake up fully. It is almost like my body is awake before my mind wakes up! When I finally do wake up I usually feel kind of funny and have a headache. This has only happened since starting tapering. Can anyone please relate so that I can stop worrying about it?!
Started Paxil again in Mar 2005
Oct 2006 tapered to 5mg too fast and flamed out
Now at 20mg
Cindywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
Iksfreundin
"Dancing Queen"

Re: Half dreaming, half awake?

I had that happen a lot to me while ON paxil, but not too much after the poop out. It's such a crazy feeling! I also used to have, where I'd wake up, and go to get up, but have no control over my arms or legs and couldn't move them. I'd be awake, but unable to move! That always freaked me out, but so far has stopped completely.
start taper= 5/8/06
at 20 = 6/17/06
at 15 = 8/8/06
at 10 = 10/15/06
at 5 = 12/14/06
Paxil free as of 3/8/08
(drops were done gradually )
Smoke-free as of 2/27/08
Still doing well, no smoking yet and I haven't been hospitalized (well, I DID have my gallbladder removed) - 3/16/2012

"You, however, smear me with lies; you are worthless physicians, all of you!" Job 13:4, KJV Bible
Iksfreundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

It happens to me all the time, and I'm not tapering! I really believe it has something to do with Paxil itself. What you're experiencing is called lucid dreaming. I can, literally, be half awake/asleep and know I'm dreaming, the dream is still happening, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Sometimes, it's kinda cool, especially when I'm having a good dream. Not so much during the bad ones!

How is your taper going so far, Cindy? Minimal discomfort, I hope!

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
Cindywho

I feel quite fortunate so far. I have had the mood swings, anger, zaps, and just overall crappy feelings that start a few hours after dropping and subside somewhat around 2 weeks after the drop. I am of course cautiously optimistic because Paxil withdrawal can take your legs from under you when you least expect it. I'm trying not to be hypervigilant but just keeping a close eye on myself! Thanks for asking! I'm glad that so far you and Terra can relate. I really hate that feeling of not being able to get fully awake when my body is trying to move!
Now at 20mg
Old 09-02-2006, 08:02 PM   #5
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

I'm so glad you're doing well. Keep in mind, I know I have to, a lot of folks here have dropped too quickly or went C/T. Sadly, this was before this site was available or before they found it. I think, from what I've seen, people who wean very slowly, seem to have the fewest amount of problems and do much better in the long run. I have to stop myself from getting caught up in the horror stories too. Especially, sinced I've lived it! I know you know what I mean.

Anyway...keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress. Don't stress too much about the dreaming, it can be scary, but you kinda get used to it and can deal with it after a while.

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Old 09-02-2006, 08:07 PM   #6
Cindywho

Thanks Laurie! I already have my 10 mg prescription filled but I am sticking with 15 mg for at least another week. Speaking of dreaming...it's about that time!
Now at 20mg
Old 09-02-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Well, nighty night!!! Sweet dreams!Name:  sleepy2.gif
Views: 45
Size:  3.3 KB

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Old 09-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #8
velveteengreen
Banned

I totally had that. It went away finally. Serotonin is one of the activating systems for REM sleep and it responsible for maintaining a "normal" waking EEG (electrical activity in the brain). Since your serotonin system is going haywire all kinds of freakiness happens in your consciousness and its not uncommon to get stuck in between altered states. Withdrawl is a lot like a bad acid trip since LSD works on serotonin receptors although in a completely different way. The states of consciousness are similar though. That's why many people (including myself) have horrible problems with derealization and depersonalization.

Read this post of mine about serotonin and sleep:
http://www.paxilprogress.org/forums/...ight=reticular
velveteengreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:20 PM   #9
scotty
Administrator

Ryan had that all the time. Vivid, blood curdling nightmares. That aspect of withdrawal does go away!

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:30 PM   #10
Chrysalis

Cindywho,

It may be that you are experiencing a thing called "sleep paralysis." (I didn't read all the above posts in entirety, so I apologize if I'm repeating.) I experienced several episodes of it about 8-10 years ago, but I can't recall if it was before I went on Paxil or early on when I was taking it. It terrified me until I found that it is a known sleep disorder.

My brain was half-asleep, half-awake. The dream things going on in the "asleep side" seemed very, very real (ex. I thought my sister was in the room talking to me, or I thought there was a car of "hitmen" in my driveway!), and the "awake side" knew I was stuck in limbo, and wanted to wake up and move, but I was literally paralyzed. My awake side would be so aware of reality that I would know that it was almost time to go walk my daughter home from school, and yet I couldn't move.

After a few episodes I eventually found that an outside stimulus (such as my dog barking, or the stove timer buzzing) would "break the spell" and I would wake the rest of the way up. The episodes passed and have never recurred.

[edit: I should add that these episodes occurred during a period when I was not getting solid, restful sleep at night--might have been related to sleep deprivation]

Margaret
Slow taper with last dose on 8/18/07
Toprol XL 25 mg daily for cardiac arrhythmia
Trazodone, 25 mg, tapered, last dose on 12/12/07
Tart cherry, Magnesium Citrate, Salmon oil,
Glucosamine and MSM, Multivitamin w/iron
Zinc (23 mg) & Echinacea lozenge - 1 daily
Activia yogurt
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #11
Katesmom

Cindy-

Search this site for REM sleep. Paxil inhibits this and it affects sleep very adversely.

started Paxil Oct. 2003 for PIH
Paxil free since 19 Jul 2005

". . .the cruelest lies are often told without a word. . .the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." -- Ben Folds
Katesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:01 PM   #12
scotty
Administrator

http://www.paxilprogress.org/forums/...&highlight=REM

http://www.paxilprogress.org/forums/...&highlight=REM

MLK
Old 09-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #13
velveteengreen
Banned

Hehe scotty I think we posted to the same thread
velveteengreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:05 PM   #14
scotty
Administrator

Gotta love the search feature!!!! I knew you had posted something in the past!

MLK
Old 09-03-2006, 01:21 AM   #15
Nano

Yeah that's a petty classic lucid dream.

You know, I've had lucid dreams before, just out of the blue, but never while on Paxil or even during withdrawal. Paxil just gave me vivid, long, complex nightmares that were completely uncontrollable. It *almost* made me wish for the lucid kind, because if you practice enough you can turn that kind of nightmare around. Then you can turn it into something fun. haha.

Eventually I just got used to the nightmares. Horrible as they sometimes were, they just became a part of sleeping. I used to delight in telling my sweetheart about them in great detail. That helped a lot too, because for whatever reason, when I did that, the theme of the nightmare never recurred. Besides, his reactions were very entertaining. :-P

I don't know if it's the withdrawal or just a matter of mood, but lately my dreams have been just as long and complex and bizarre, but they're lacking that nightmarish quality. I hope it keeps up.
1998-2006: Paxil dose varied from 20-60 mg. Given lithium twice, disagreed with diagnosis, didn't fill prescription
July 06: Prescribed lithium again, stopped after 2 weeks
August 2006: Fed up! The docs don't know what they're doing
Last dose of Paxil: August 24, 2006. CT from a non-stabilized 20mg dose.
Nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:26 PM   #16
Cindywho

SUCH a good thread to read that you guys posted. I had no idea my issue had something to do with REM sleep. And the description of sleep paralysis described the sensation almost perfectly! I love reading that scientific stuff! Thanks again.
Now at 20mg
Old 09-03-2006, 10:33 PM   #17
Chrysalis

Quote:
Cindywho wrote: the description of sleep paralysis described the sensation almost perfectly!
Cindywho,

I found the mention of sleep paralysis in a book titled something like "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems," of all places. Of course, that was almost ten years ago, before I had a computer or the internet. There are probably many mentions/descriptions of sleep paralysis available online now.

At the time I was having the sleep paralysis episodes I was still nursing our son, and my sleep was interrupted and not generally restful. I was taking daily afternoon naps, which is often when the paralysis occurred. We were also working on getting the baby to fall asleep in his own bed, which is why I had the book in the first place.

I remember feeling so relieved that at least what was happening to me was a "known quantity" and that I wasn't necessarily "losing" it. (Of course, that point may still be debatable. Hehehe)

Sleep disorders can be rather strange. My sister has a sleep disorder where she'll get out of bed, go to the kitchen and chow down on, say half a package of cookies, go back to bed, and not remember it in the least in the morning. She'll see crumbs on her pillow, and then find the evidence in the kitchen. It happens occasionally when she is overstressed and overtired. Rather bizarre, but again, it's a known and named disorder.

Margaret
Slow taper with last dose on 8/18/07
Toprol XL 25 mg daily for cardiac arrhythmia
Trazodone, 25 mg, tapered, last dose on 12/12/07
Tart cherry, Magnesium Citrate, Salmon oil,
Glucosamine and MSM, Multivitamin w/iron
Zinc (23 mg) & Echinacea lozenge - 1 daily
Activia yogurt
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote