our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 10-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
Mranx

I Love Paxil

I've been reading this forum for a while now but have never posted. I've been on 20mg Paxil for about 8 months now, and it has changed my life. I may sound like a company spokesperson or the likes, but taking Paxil has brought back my old self, the one that's outgoing and fun. My anxiety got to the point where I was having panic attacks daily, usually in a situation that would make me feel uncomforable, ie. meeting new people, speaking in public, walking down a crowded hallway, etc. I no longer have these unnessesary fears.

I do have two complaints with Paxil, first of all I have gained about 30 pounds since I started taking the drug. Second of all, my sex drive barely exists anymore. However bad these side effects may be, I still shrug them off because it's worth it to feel sane again.

My question to you guys is why should I even stop taking Paxil? It's working great for me and I can live with the side effects. I've read about some of you who have been taking Paxil for many years. At 8 months I suppose I'm still fairly new to the drug, and I could probably stop taking it at anytime. But why would I? I feel great. What made you guys decide to quit? Because as it is right now, I proabbly wouldn't mind taking these for quite a while. It doesn't make me feel dazed, dizzy, depressed, etc., all it does is make me feel like I used to before I developed anxiety issues. What would make me want to quit?
Mranx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #2
More2MeThanOCD

Re: I Love Paxil

I, like you, had very little side effects. It also stopped my panic attacks in their tracks and I asked myself the very same questions you pose now. why ever quit! I loved what pax did for me. However, after doing a little self-education I learned:
1- The Pax "high" won't last me forever. No matter what docs say, someday your body will deveop tolerance and it WILL just stop working or what many refer to as "poop-out"...that leaves you in a cold turkey quit situation and a violent state of w/dr. I figured if it was eventually going to quit on me, I would quit on it first...on my own terms, slowly and reasonably.
2- Birth defects- I am looking to start a family and Pax is not only not safe for pregnancy, it is downright dangerous.
3- Brain damage and overall health. At 8 mos where you are I never thought of this, but after almost 5 yrs I was sick of taking pills everywhere. I started having anxiety I would lose them. I learned alot about myself in the years that pax gave me a "break" from panic. I quit smoking, became athletic, and started multi-vitamins.

Don't look at it as just needing to quit/not needing to quit paxil. Just take this time ON paxil to get some cognitive behavioral therapy, take some supplements, get to the gym, get on a good diet and create overall wellness for yourself! Then after that you too may decide you want to/are able to try life again drug free! Remember, this drug was originally designed to be a 6mo therapy for just what I wrote--- time to get your life together without panic, so you can gain the skills to cope properly, and then go off the drug. That makes sense! A life on a drug that will eventually fail you does not.

Best of luck with your care! You will find so many awesome people here at all stages of their long term care journey. We are always all ears.
12.5 to 10 10/24
10 to 7.5 on 11/5
7.5 to 5 on 12/3
5 to 3 on 12/19
3 to 2/2.5 12/24
1/1/07- Pax free
8/1/08- Crash & burn
8/6- Celexa- didn't work, panic worse
8/16- Back on 20 mg Pax some Klon
8/29/07-day when vicious attacks subsided and I ate again.
9/10/08- Been back on Pax for a year and A&D have been fine. Not happy to take pills, but happy to be healthy again.
More2MeThanOCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #3
Delynbetter

It is still "working" for you. At some point the 20mg will stop working and they will up your dosage. There is an upper limit, although some doctors don't see any reason to follow guidelines. Glaxo claims that this is only for approximately 6 months usage, although many people have been on it for years. Risks of diabetes. The higher the dose, the more weight you're going to gain. Over the next year watch the color of your skin. Maybe you will notice that you're beginning to look gray. You could possibly notice that nothing is important.

The choice is yours. Please be aware of the things that can happen so just in case they do, you will have an idea of how to deal with the situation. Be aware that if you do decide to come off of the medication your emotions will be exaggerated and the doctor/s will almost certainly label you as bipolar and put you on a cocktail of medications.

Our biggest message here is to be educated - and not educated by some drug rep with their Bachelor's in anything but science. You take care and keep educating yourself on the possibilities. It will be your best weapon in the future.
Quit cold-turkey 5/5/05 as demanded by doctor.
Found paxilprogress 5/17/05.
Began Paxil CR 12.5mg 5/17/05.
Weaned 4 1/2 months.
During taper - anx/panic/depression, manic episodes, agoraphobia, suicidal ideation, many other physical symptoms.
Paxil-free 10/2/05.
Delynbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
Iksfreundin
"Dancing Queen"

I know the feeling. I felt the same way - at first. I was supposed to be on it for 6 months, but as you can see by my signature, that was not the case.

After a bit, I realized I just didn't have any zest for anything. I didn't get excited. I didn't get scared. Then, I started getting jumpy. Then, I started getting weepy. Then the insomnia kicked in (and let me tell you, there's NOTHING that will make you crazier than 8 years worth of not sleeping). Then the docs started giving me other drugs to combat the paxil side effects. Then I lost my insurance, and no other would pick me up because of the depression/anxiety, and those who offered to wouldn't pay for my prescriptions. Now I have to pay out of pocket monthly for my medicine, can't see good docs due to no health insurance, have lost a lot of friends and family due to crazy emotions while on paxil, and attempted suicide so often I actually can't count them all. Oh, and I had to apply for disability because I can't keep a job from the side effects.

It was good at first. I truly wish I had learned coping techniques, because when paxil pooped-out on me (that is, stopped working without warning), I really hit a bottom that I didn't even know existed.

Learn how to cope with your anxiety and/or depression. This pill will stop working. That's a given. Read all you can, to be ready. And I wish you luck.
start taper= 5/8/06
at 20 = 6/17/06
at 15 = 8/8/06
at 10 = 10/15/06
at 5 = 12/14/06
Paxil free as of 3/8/08
(drops were done gradually )
Smoke-free as of 2/27/08
Still doing well, no smoking yet and I haven't been hospitalized (well, I DID have my gallbladder removed) - 3/16/2012

"You, however, smear me with lies; you are worthless physicians, all of you!" Job 13:4, KJV Bible
Iksfreundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
rdjanis
"has a lavender scented keyboard"

I think everyone here will be giving you the same answers. Yep, for my daughter, we 'thought' paxil was a life saver.... until it turned on her.

While you are enjoying what paxil does for you, get therapy, figure out your triggers for anxiety and learn to deal with them and the panic. It is a very real possibility that paxil will not work for you forever, it eventually poops out and leaves the person with worse anxiety and panic than what paxil was prescribed for.

Saying that, I wish you luck, and hope that you choose to get help for the panic, pills are not a life long solution, but learning to deal with it is, and doesn't come with any side effects.

Good luck.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:13 AM   #7
summer bee

oh, just wait. eventually, you'll land into the worst cog fog of your life. you won't care about anything anymore. i mean, granted, i HOPE that doesn't happen for you, but it's happened for a lot of us. paxil just isn't meant to be a long-term drug.

06/26/2006: 10mg; found paxilprogress.org
06/28/2006-01/20/07: a long, zappy time of tapering

paxil-free for: FOUR AND A HALF YEARS!

my blog: panic about anxiety.
video: tapering off of paxil.
facebook: the dangers of antidepressants.
la times: my paxil withdrawal story

"all systems begin and end in silence; nothing needs solving, nothing is a problem..." - al zolynas, the algebra nightmare
summer bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:10 AM   #8
Buxy`s Back

mranx,welcome to pp i bet most here thought paxil was the wonder drug,i sure did even though i had anxiety on it i didnt care anyways,i hardly went out,i thought life was great coz i had no feelings,no bad feelings but then no good ones either,it made me arrogant ,fat,sexless but hey in paxil world it was cool i didnt give a fcuk about anything,but ask yourself one thing......are humans suppose to be null and void of any feelings??? mmm i don,t think so.
Then there comes a point when you notice,more headaches,dizziness,vision problems,gastric and ear problems and somehow you just know its the drug,so then you know you have to get off,then comes the hell and reality of paxil,its dark side,no longer that sunshine pill you thought it was ,thats where we all are now,a long way in front of that , wow i feel numb feeling.
Paxil is not a cure it never was,it just covers any emotions or feelings that drug companies would have us believe is not normal,but how do we get that numb?how can it stop panic? coz it shuts your cns down and alters your brain till you feel nothing at all,which is good when panic or anxiety has ruled your life for a while but what about no emotions for feelings and emotions to those who you love,everything you did ever care about,but i dont expect you to listen to this or believe it why would you? your numbed by paxil after all,so basically all these replies are falling on deaf ears.
So basiccally there is no point telling you that you need to get off paxil,no point in telling you its not a cure or that one day it could stop working for you or the hell of withdrawal,you are too numb to accept it,so i suppose my point is that if ever it stops working,or you want to get off for side effects,or even if you just want to feel human and emotions again,come and check this site out then as you will have found ,to your cost,what we all know now,we will be here for you,i can promise that,but for now good luck in your life with paxil,wish you all the best

September 2009, not in severe hell just moderate hell, still recovering Joanne.

LITTLE EVIL MEN HIDE BEHIND BIG COMPANY NAMES................QUOTE BY......MOI
Buxy`s Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:03 AM   #9
plummerw

I loved paxil. For years I told everyone how great it was. I was super Tina. I held down 3 jobs, helped everyone with yard work, sheet rocked a couple of houses. There was nothing I could not do....er...except stay focused. I could not finish sentences, remember names. I would start the dishes then see that the fridge needed to be cleaned,wait the trash needed to go out, wait the horse might need water, oh wait Maybe she wants an apple. Who in the world left the dishwasher and cupboards open? Why are all the items from the fridge on the counter? No bag in the trash! Damn husband, I am always having to cleanup after him! I had no self limits. If the neighbors yard looked messy...I would just go over and mow it. To bad not everyone cared about stuff like me! I wore myself to exhaustion and was too numb to know it. I wore everyone out. then the dr told me I had ADHD and tried me on concerta. Now I had no ability to assess risk and started getting hurt. Falling off untrained horses that I never should have been on, got knocked out 2 times, bit in the head requiring 6 stitches. Still I loved my Paxil. Then sadly after 8 years paxil stopped working. The dr tried effexor but I went into paxil withdrawal. My husband would not stop yelling at me. Calling me "lazy" or saying I did not care about anything etc. Me. Me? Now that I'm off I look back and Wow. I wish that I never took Paxil. Yes I did things, had fun. But that was not me. I was a fake. I'm really low key and that's good. I can do anything I put my mind to, but there's alot to be said for thinking things through, caution and even limits. It's nice to be aware of things around me again. Good luck in what ever you decide
12/05 started paxil withdrawal skip one day for a week then skip 2 days for a week and so on.
2/06 off paxil.
plummerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:24 AM   #10
Trying66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mranx
I've read about some of you who have been taking Paxil for many years. At 8 months I suppose I'm still fairly new to the drug, and I could probably stop taking it at anytime.
I hate to sound dismal, but at this point, I doubt you could without a fight.
Of course, I am only basing my opinion on the experiences of the two people I love most in the world.

By the way, I used to love it too.
Paxil 5mg - Nov 23, 2005 (he refused 7.5mg)
Paxil 2.5mg - Jan 23, 2006
No Paxil - June 28, 2006
Trying66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:22 AM   #11
appygirl

Hey,

All I gotta say is Paxil DID save my life too and I felt great for a long time. But, when you have been on the drug for a period of time and then someday want to wean off.....life will be totally different. I must tell you to use extreme caution when thinking that this drug is great, because its not.

So plain and simple, its good for a while then things will get worse. I have been through COMPLETE hell because of Paxil. I am now on a different med and I already feel better.
appygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:41 AM   #12
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Yeah, I loved Paxil too....then I tried to come off of it. The honeymoon ended at that point. You'll see what I'm talking about soon enough.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:33 AM   #13
Llewdrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2BPxlFree
I, like you, had very little side effects. It also stopped my panic attacks in their tracks and I asked myself the very same questions you pose now. why ever quit! I loved what pax did for me. However, after doing a little self-education I learned:
1- The Pax "high" won't last me forever. No matter what docs say, someday your body will deveop tolerance and it WILL just stop working or what many refer to as "poop-out"...that leaves you in a cold turkey quit situation and a violent state of w/dr. I figured if it was eventually going to quit on me, I would quit on it first...on my own terms, slowly and reasonably.
2- Birth defects- I am looking to start a family and Pax is not only not safe for pregnancy, it is downright dangerous.
3- Brain damage and overall health. At 8 mos where you are I never thought of this, but after almost 5 yrs I was sick of taking pills everywhere. I started having anxiety I would lose them. I learned alot about myself in the years that pax gave me a "break" from panic. I quit smoking, became athletic, and started multi-vitamins.

Don't look at it as just needing to quit/not needing to quit paxil. Just take this time ON paxil to get some cognitive behavioral therapy, take some supplements, get to the gym, get on a good diet and create overall wellness for yourself! Then after that you too may decide you want to/are able to try life again drug free! Remember, this drug was originally designed to be a 6mo therapy for just what I wrote--- time to get your life together without panic, so you can gain the skills to cope properly, and then go off the drug. That makes sense! A life on a drug that will eventually fail you does not.

Best of luck with your care! You will find so many awesome people here at all stages of their long term care journey. We are always all ears.
This is a fabulous post!!!
Llewdrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:40 AM   #14
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Also, why would you want to be on a pill the rest of your life? That's what made me want to quit. I like who I am....not because of a pill, but because of ME.

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Old 10-06-2006, 07:43 AM   #15
diana.p

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrawford67
Also, why would you want to be on a pill the rest of your life? That's what made me want to quit. I like who I am....not because of a pill, but because of ME.
This is exactly how I feel. I want my old me back.
may 2006 - reduced it at 10 mg...very bad withdrawal
10/5 : 9mg
10/16: 6mg
12/1 : 5mg
01/06 : 4.4 mg
03/12 : 3 mg
04/14 : 1.5 mg
05/20 : Seroxat FREE 2007
Remeron for 1-2 years (until 2009)

Currently taking 0.10 mg Clonazepam
diana.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:45 AM   #16
Homerbcool
"Infatuated with kazoobies"

Okay i have a question..what would possess you to come to a site dedicated to assisting people withdrawling from Paxil, some who have come inches from taking their own lifes...to boast about how wonderful you feel this drug is..are you that vicisous of a personality..

Or are you in denial about the REAL TRUTH about this poison..
Old 10-06-2006, 07:45 AM   #17
Katesmom

What a bunch of really good, thoughtful answers! And, BTW, there is some evidence to suggest that paxil effects sperm as well.

started Paxil Oct. 2003 for PIH
Paxil free since 19 Jul 2005

". . .the cruelest lies are often told without a word. . .the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." -- Ben Folds
Katesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:47 AM   #18
Homerbcool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katesmom
What a bunch of really good, thoughtful answers! And, BTW, there is some evidence to suggest that paxil effects sperm as well.

and not only the flavor..come on I am kidding..

but I was told by ex wife that this was true..
Old 10-06-2006, 07:47 AM   #19
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerbcool
Okay i have a question..what would possess you to come to a site dedicated to assisting people withdrawling from Paxil, some who have come inches from taking their own lifes...to boast about how wonderful you feel this drug is..are you that vicisous of a personality..

Now Homer, keep in mind. We all had our honeymoon phase with this drug. If you're not having any problems, it's hard to understand what all the fuss is about. Mranx is just expressing his/her opinion regarding Paxil and that's ok. By continually reading and seeing our posts, he/she might just be better prepared for the day when the honeymoon ends.

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Old 10-06-2006, 07:50 AM   #20
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Quote:
and not only the flavor..come on I am kidding..

but I was told by ex wife that this was true..
Oh Lord.....Name:  roflmao.gif
Views: 104
Size:  1.3 KB

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Old 10-06-2006, 07:51 AM   #21
Katesmom

Quote:

Brian-

Many of us, including me, had quite the paxil honeymoon. If your life has been riddled with anxiety or depression, then Paxil can SEEM like a lifesaver at first, and sometimes the side effects can be worth it at first. Most people actually believe the chemical imbalance hogwash and think they are making a healthy decision for their lives. It's important for us not to invalidate this person's real experience. And, I don't think that he/she is out to invalidate ours by asking, "Why would I want this feeling to end?" It's difficult to explain that that feeling doesn't last forever. That side effects increase in number and intensity the longer that you are on the drug, but that you are so numb to your own life by then that you don't even see them coming. It sounds overly cynical, no matter how true. This poster is just seeing a bunch of people who are having a tough time quitting paxil. And if paxil is working great for him, why ever quit? It's tough to tell someone that their experience will be vastly different in five years. So, patience with the OP please, Brian!!!!!

started Paxil Oct. 2003 for PIH
Paxil free since 19 Jul 2005

". . .the cruelest lies are often told without a word. . .the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." -- Ben Folds
Katesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:51 AM   #22
Homerbcool

Oh I had my honeymoom days..btu I would never ever ever go to a site and let say a site for people against marijuanna and post how wonderful it is...that is just wrong in my books...

And if I knew or you knew that some one had just married the devil, would you not want to warn them about the devils past present and the future...
Old 10-06-2006, 07:53 AM   #23
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Remember though, this forum is about our experience with the drug, whether it be good, bad, or indifferent.

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Old 10-06-2006, 07:55 AM   #24
Homerbcool

This person ahas been on site looknig for over a month..then consicously decides to come on and question the validaty, in my own opinion, the validaty of our suffering and our decision...in my opinion that is either a very scathing post...or a post of questioning his beleif system..that is why I put the last line in about questiioning the REAL TRUTH....
Old 10-06-2006, 07:57 AM   #25
Delynbetter

As long as they don't expect us to sugar-coat anything. Ain't much into that.

Homer, BEHAVE! (I don't really mean that, but trying to act 'responsible'. AND I was referring to the flavoring comment. )
Quit cold-turkey 5/5/05 as demanded by doctor.
Found paxilprogress 5/17/05.
Began Paxil CR 12.5mg 5/17/05.
Weaned 4 1/2 months.
During taper - anx/panic/depression, manic episodes, agoraphobia, suicidal ideation, many other physical symptoms.
Paxil-free 10/2/05.
Delynbetter is offline   Reply With Quote