our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Health Challenges
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health Challenges Anxiety, depression, OCD, headaches, weight and more.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 11-20-2006, 05:44 AM   #1
tranderson98

Paxil and Diabetes

I hope someone can help. I am desperate for information. I started taking Paxil in 2002 (in combination with Klonapin) for night terrors. About six months later I was diagnosed with "insulin resistance." I lost forty pounds but my glucose kept going up. I followed my diet, exercised at least an hour every day, took my diabetes meds (even though they cause me terrible side pain) and couldn't budge a pound. (All told on Paxil I've gained about 50 pounds ) Recently, my aunt called to say that she had been diagnosed with late onset type I diabetes. She started taking Paxil a year ago. I didn't even know there was a possible connection.

I started tapering off Paxil three weeks ago. It has been a nightmare. All of the usual suspects, wild mood swings, zaps, flu, aching teeth, crying, anger. I think I'm getting better, though. My withdrawal has certainly not been as bad as some others have experienced.

Now to my question. Does anyone know whether diabetes gets better after you get off of the Paxil? Has this horrible drug destroyed my endocrine system for good? Any links or first hand information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Teresa
tranderson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:59 AM   #2
scotty
Administrator

Re: Paxil and Diabetes

Welcome to paxilprogress! While we don't have any "official" documentation of paxil being a cause of type two diabetes, it is speculated that the weight gain that paxil causes can be a contribuing factor. The reality is that we are only in the last few years getting a glimpse of the true adverse effects of ssri's. The atypical antipsychotics are confirmed to cause diabetes(ie, risperdal) and I tend to believe that the same situation can occur with ssri's. These drug effect the neurotransmitters, which will then in turn effect the endocrine system. We just don't have the "trials" to prove it. Permanence is another story. We have found that "most" recover with time from the effect of ssri's. I would hope that this is the case with any diabetes connection.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
mouse
Banned

The brutal truth is , Paxil is a defective and toxic drug, trials havent yet been done on all its long term side effects...
mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
elisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse
The brutal truth is , Paxil is a defective and toxic drug, trials havent yet been done on all its long term side effects...
Yeah, everyone who gets on these drugs are guinepigs.
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:50 AM   #6
tranderson98

Thanks so much for the replies. I will try to post my experiences here if only to add to the anecdotal history of Paxil fallout. I was diagnosed with a rare cancer when I was 23 and even though everyone around me was shocked and frightened I knew that it was real and that I could fight it. Throughout this whole diabetes nightmare I've known that it was wrong that something was really wrong. Paxil is what is wrong. My doctors have patted me on the head, telling me I'm in denial. But, in truth, I think they are. I'll keep you updated. And thanks again. It's nice to know I'm not alone.
tranderson98 is offline   Reply With Quote