our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 02-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
Petrucci
Banned

Anybody feel better off antidepressants than on?

how many of you feel better off antidepressants than on them? was it worth it to you to get off antidepressants?

how long did it take for you people to feel better after completing the weaning off antidepressants?
Petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
rdjanis
"has a lavender scented keyboard"

Re: Anybody feel better off antidepressants than on?

It was worth it for may daughter. She was originally prescribed because of a school incident that led to refusing school. She always had anxiety, but ended up with depression, mood swings, suicidal.

Definately better off paxil. The year mark was where she was able to start dealing with original anxiety, and doing what kids normally do in her age group.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
LinLou

Truth be told..I wish I had stayed on the teeny amount of Zoloft I was on
( 12.5mg ). I made the mistake of complaining to a doctor that I was having trouble losing weight and I thought it was because of the Zoloft. I was feeling perfectly fine, not having any other health problems. The doctor told me the Zoloft had absolutley no therapeutic effect at such a low dose and I was wasting my money. I was told it was ok to just stop taking it. Because I wasn't "that bad" when I started taking it, I never had reason to fear the worst. I thought at worst, my original little driving/ public speaking anxiety might resurface. What a walk in the park that would've been compared to this abyss I'm in now.

Well...that crumb of Zoloft apparently was doing something in addition to keeping weight on me. It was keeping me from falling into the black pit of hell I found myself in when I stopped, and I waited too long to reinstate and it made me even sicker when I tried to go back on. Kind of like a boyfriend you dump and he won't take you back.

I know, I know. It would've bit me in the butt sooner or later. I know it's impossible to have stayed on it for life. But I kind of wish all this would've happened AFTER I finished my carreer and my child was old enough to be on her own. I wish it happened when I retired, had my social security going and had the luxury of time to get through this. Instead it happened in the prime of my life and everything dear to me has crumbled and crashed. I'm having a horrible go of it....can't believe a human being could even live through something like this.

So, if I could turn back time would I have stayed on it? You betcha. I just can't believe I was stupid enough to listen to my doctor and just jump off. Oh how I wish I would've had enough sense to google SSRI discontinuation first. None of this would've happened.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
Mystere

I think I am feeling sick just after 2weeks of 12.5mg aod 2 weeks of half

I am sensitive to stuff. . .but dang it goes to show how powerful this stuff is. Imagine being on it for 1 year or 10 years

OMG
Mystere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
nicemom

Right now I don't FEEL better but I am happy I am off it. Ask me that question when I have been off a year. I have hope. My personality is not where I would like it to be yet, some days it is. I am not as tired as I was on paxil. I am not dependant on a drug, that feels good.

I am working on myself right now. I am dealing with my emotions and anxiety for the first time in my life. It takes time. When I am done with the work on myself, I will be able to honestly answer that question with a yes. That is when I will be genuinely happy. When I was on paxil I was ARTIFICALLY happy, but my life was an empty shell. On the outside I was a person that I didn't recognize because I FELT nothing, even if I acted happy. I have more meaning to my life now.
From 15mg-0 May/June 06 (before finding PP)
Protracted w/d from c/t.

First 10 mths up and down but tolerable.
Akathesia hit at 11 months. Many months of terrible mental and physical torture.
3/09 started Prozac but too stimulating. Currently on 15mg Lexapro and feeling so much better.

Not all who waunder are lost.
nicemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Amaya's Nana
An "A bucket" gal!

This is an interesting question because I was just thinking about this at lunch today. Since coming off Paxil, I have had severe psychological symptoms for months and months and months, worse than anything I'd ever experienced pre-paxil. The reason why I was thinking about it is because I feel like Paxil has robbed me of being someone who is strong and capable. I was very strong, independent and capable before Paxil but now, after being off the stuff almost 12 months, I still cry easily, get my feelings hurt very easily, and there are days when my mood is not the greatest. I was much more stable before Paxil and while on Paxil. What Paxil did for me was stop the panic that had plagued me for a very long time.

I suppose hindsight is 20/20 but I would really love to have the me back before I ever took Paxil. While I know that time and circumstances change us as human beings, I'm totally different now. I'm quiet and much more introspective than I've ever been. Extremely emotionally sensitive and often feel like a little scared rabbit waiting for the boogeyman to jump out and get me. I'll give you an example by what I mean: last night, I had one of my crushing post Paxil headaches and had absolutely nothing at home to take for it. All out of my Advil Liquigels that I've practically lived on since stopping Paxil. It was relentless and wouldn't let up. But, I wouldn't leave my house to go to the store to get some Advil to stop the pain because I was home alone and didn't want to come back to an empty house. How ridiculous is that? I've never been a scaredy cat in my life and now, I'm suspicious and paranoid about almost everything. I was NEVER like that before. Is this just a symptom of neurotransmitters still being out of whack after being off Paxil for almost a year? I don't know the answer to that question.

Sorry for the rant but today has been one of those days where I wish I could just take a pill and stop the hellride of getting off this crap.

I suppose I could answer the question in another six months whether I believe I feel better on or off the stuff. Am I glad the withdrawal symptoms have all but abated from just a short three months ago? Yes, I'm very, very glad. But I miss some of the very positive things about me pre-Paxil and I honestly don't know if they'll ever come back.

a/k/a Lisa
PAXIL FREE AS OF 3/18/06! Fully recovered!

Focus your attention on the here and now. Recognize it for what it is: the one moment of the only life you will ever have that you truly possess. Rare is the individual who has come to completely accept that the past is no more than a memory and the future an assumption about unborn events.
Amaya's Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
Katesmom

Well, 100% yes for me.

started Paxil Oct. 2003 for PIH
Paxil free since 19 Jul 2005

". . .the cruelest lies are often told without a word. . .the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." -- Ben Folds
Katesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #8
babs
"dare to suck big!"

I feel much better physically now that I'm off (because of weight loss, mostly) but worse psychologically. I feel worse than I did on the drug and also worse than I did before I ever took it. I can relate to a lot of what Lisa (Amaya'sNana) wrote.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
2 failed attempts to quit
Tapered Jan-April 2005 (because I didn't know better!)
Paxil-free since May 1, 2005
babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #9
LinLou

I hope Lily and the others who have been off a long time will chime in here and tell us whether or not they had the same concerns or not. I wonder if they had the deadened personality we feel when they were at the stage we are at now.

It's very disheartening to think you will be like this from here on out.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #10
Homerbcool
"Infatuated with kazoobies"

The question in its form is unfair..and in my opinion the answers will cause more harm then good...

The main focus here is our long term health..we know the easy short term answer, that led us all here..so for those who are of the mindset that once believed this "magic pill" would make them all better...are of the same mind set that once you are off of this "magic pill", that you would be "magically" better..well logic dictates otherwise.

We know that the short term diagnosis is raught with issues..but the long term is what we are after..there are members here, like Joanne, that have been off for almost 2 yrs or more and still have issues...

Either way, on or off the "magic pill" life will never be the same..how could it..why should it..we chemically altered our beings, some of us like me for up to 14 yrs..so how could I expect, with all honesty and logic, how could I expect the wellness of this journey to be instant or even a realistic goal in the short term
Old 02-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #11
Amaya's Nana
An "A bucket" gal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerbcool
The question in its form is unfair..and in my opinion the answers will cause more harm then good...

The main focus here is our long term health..we know the easy short term answer, that led us all here..so for those who are of the mindset that once believed this "magic pill" would make them all better...are of the same mind set that once you are off of this "magic pill", that you would be "magically" better..well logic dictates otherwise.

We know that the short term diagnosis is raught with issues..but the long term is what we are after..there are members here, like Joanne, that have been off for almost 2 yrs or more and still have issues...

Either way, on or off the "magic pill" life will never be the same..how could it..why should it..we chemically altered our beings, some of us like me for up to 14 yrs..so how could I expect, with all honesty and logic, how could I expect the wellness of this journey to be instant or even a realistic goal in the short term
Homie - I understand what you're saying and I really do not expect to be the same person because as human beings we should all grow and change. Certainly, believing that you could take a drug for life only to find out you cannot and then have to face the horrors of a cold turkey withdrawal or even the horrors of weaning (because, even though some may wean slowly, they can still suffer a lot....small percentage but its still true) HAS to change you as a human being. You don't have a choice but to change. The withdrawal process will not allow stagnation in your thinking or you won't make it through to the end. I don't think Paxil is a magic pill. I took it for panic. I never had depression or the issues I face now before I took it. Personally, I haven't feared that panic would come back because I've learned coping skills to stop it dead in its tracks. I just feel like the core of who "I" am has changed dramatically, and part of it has been a positive change but some of it has not been, in my personal opinion. And, I don't want the things I do not like about me because of Paxil use to be permanent. I hope and pray its not.

a/k/a Lisa

Focus your attention on the here and now. Recognize it for what it is: the one moment of the only life you will ever have that you truly possess. Rare is the individual who has come to completely accept that the past is no more than a memory and the future an assumption about unborn events.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:28 PM   #12
Slywolf

Hey, this is my first post, although I use to be a regular at the Quit Paxil board before it bit the dust.

Anyway, I agree a lot with what Amaya's Nana said. Since going off Paxil, I've found myself to have extreme and spontaneous emotional overreactions, which is something I've never experienced before.

I also find it hard to concentrate, and some times find the words I want to use, (although in fairness I wonder whether some of that isn't attributable to whatever depression and anxiety and Paxil had been suppressing).

But since going off the drug, I've found my mind suddenly awake. I've rediscovered initiative, desire, the will to actually want to do things. These are things which I never experienced while on Paxil, which Paxil not only dampened, but eliminated from my psychology.

Now I actually regret all the years I was on the stupid crap because I view them as wasted years, as years where I never actually lived, but simply existed from day to day.
Slywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:33 PM   #13
Delynbetter

Raises hand! I feel much better off Paxil.
Quit cold-turkey 5/5/05 as demanded by doctor.
Found paxilprogress 5/17/05.
Began Paxil CR 12.5mg 5/17/05.
Weaned 4 1/2 months.
During taper - anx/panic/depression, manic episodes, agoraphobia, suicidal ideation, many other physical symptoms.
Paxil-free 10/2/05.
Delynbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:44 PM   #14
Homerbcool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slywolf
Hey, this is my first post, although I use to be a regular at the Quit Paxil board before it bit the dust.

Anyway, I agree a lot with what Amaya's Nana said. Since going off Paxil, I've found myself to have extreme and spontaneous emotional overreactions, which is something I've never experienced before.

I also find it hard to concentrate, and some times find the words I want to use, (although in fairness I wonder whether some of that isn't attributable to whatever depression and anxiety and Paxil had been suppressing).

But since going off the drug, I've found my mind suddenly awake. I've rediscovered initiative, desire, the will to actually want to do things. These are things which I never experienced while on Paxil, which Paxil not only dampened, but eliminated from my psychology.

Now I actually regret all the years I was on the stupid crap because I view them as wasted years, as years where I never actually lived, but simply existed from day to day.

Welcome Slyfox..too bad about the quitpaxil site..but hopefully you will find this site to your liking..so many other survivors with so much care, concern, support..check out the lunge section for some good laughs, some topical discussions..the odd heated deabte thrown in to make sure we are all alive..

I echo you thoughts on life pre, during and well not quite post paxhell myself but I hear you loud and clear..welcome!!!
Old 02-21-2007, 02:45 PM   #15
Homerbcool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaya's Nana
Homie - I understand what you're saying and I really do not expect to be the same person because as human beings we should all grow and change. Certainly, believing that you could take a drug for life only to find out you cannot and then have to face the horrors of a cold turkey withdrawal or even the horrors of weaning (because, even though some may wean slowly, they can still suffer a lot....small percentage but its still true) HAS to change you as a human being. You don't have a choice but to change. The withdrawal process will not allow stagnation in your thinking or you won't make it through to the end. I don't think Paxil is a magic pill. I took it for panic. I never had depression or the issues I face now before I took it. Personally, I haven't feared that panic would come back because I've learned coping skills to stop it dead in its tracks. I just feel like the core of who "I" am has changed dramatically, and part of it has been a positive change but some of it has not been, in my personal opinion. And, I don't want the things I do not like about me because of Paxil use to be permanent. I hope and pray its not.
Lisa..I luvs ya more today then yesterday but nots as much as I am gonna luv ya tomorrow...

and I had to bold the coping skills part ..you know I gotta do that...
Old 02-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #16
Amaya's Nana
An "A bucket" gal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerbcool
Lisa..I luvs ya more today then yesterday but nots as much as I am gonna luv ya tomorrow...

and I had to bold the coping skills part ..you know I gotta do that...

a/k/a Lisa

Old 02-21-2007, 02:57 PM   #17
rdjanis
"has a lavender scented keyboard"

[quote=Amaya's Nana]
Quote:
The reason why I was thinking about it is because I feel like Paxil has robbed me of being someone who is strong and capable. I was very strong, independent and capable before Paxil but now, after being off the stuff almost 12 months, I still cry easily, get my feelings hurt very easily, and there are days when my mood is not the greatest.
Your strength will return, the crying at a drop of a hat will stop as well. Your still a strong person, you are healing, tired, and havoc has been put on you. This is not forever. The fact that you dealt with this for the past year shows how strong you are.... you just don't feel strong!!
Old 02-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #18
Iksfreundin
"Dancing Queen"

I feel better going OFF than I have in years, but haven't reached the mythical 0 mgs yet. Believe me, I'll report on it when I do!
start taper= 5/8/06
at 20 = 6/17/06
at 15 = 8/8/06
at 10 = 10/15/06
at 5 = 12/14/06
Paxil free as of 3/8/08
(drops were done gradually )
Smoke-free as of 2/27/08
Still doing well, no smoking yet and I haven't been hospitalized (well, I DID have my gallbladder removed) - 3/16/2012

"You, however, smear me with lies; you are worthless physicians, all of you!" Job 13:4, KJV Bible
Iksfreundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:51 PM   #19
Petrucci
Banned

this is interesting, some people feel better off and some on.
do any of you believe you have a chemical imbalance that makes you depressed? do you believe now that your off of antidepressants that there is an imbalance of neurotransmitters causing your depression?

if you don't, what do you think is making you feel depressed? also have any of you thought about going back on antidepressants because you just cant take it anymore?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #20
Homerbcool

never in a gabillion years would I purposely go back on..never ever..and no chemical balance is not the right terminology....can not be proven and big pharma would love us to use these words..aint gonna happen..

Petrucci are you generally interested..or are you going after something.....
Old 02-21-2007, 04:09 PM   #21
LossLeader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrucci
do any of you believe you have a chemical imbalance that makes you depressed?
No. A pre-disposition to depression certainly, but nothing that could reasonably be called an "imbalance", even if my natural brain chemistry could have been proven as the cause. If I had an imbalance, so do millions of other people in London alone, which means it's not much of an imbalance (where's the "normal"?)

Quote:
do you believe now that your off of antidepressants that there is an imbalance of neurotransmitters causing your depression?
Yes, along with a disrupted central nervous system and completely screwed hormones.

Quote:
also have any of you thought about going back on antidepressants because you just cant take it anymore?
Every day for 15 months. Right now, I feel 20 times worse than I did in poop-out, and that's the best I've felt for over a year. How could I not think about it? It gets less likely every day, though.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:16 PM   #22
Petrucci
Banned

homer yes i am very interested because i am going through withdrawal right now.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #23
Petrucci
Banned

now it is true that there is no definite proof that there is a chemical imbalance in the brain. psychiatrists admit it .. at least mine did. he clearly said to me its just guessing. i was looking at a video and they said that during studies 50% felt better on the placebo and 60% felt better on antidpressants. so the true drug effect is only a measily 10%.

here is a 3 part video i'd like to share with you guys, look at it and tell me your thoughts on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWE3UGl7KFk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzDv6Cublaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw0PxgTIT4k
Old 02-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #24
LinLou

Quote:
do you believe now that your off of antidepressants that there is an imbalance of neurotransmitters causing your depression?

if you don't, what do you think is making you feel depressed? also have any of you thought about going back on antidepressants because you just cant take it anymore?
I never had depression before or during my Zoloft years. Before this, I always thought of depression as just being down in the dumps....something a Dairy Queen Blizzard could pull you out of at the snap of a finger. Now I know I was wrong. Way wrong. Once free of Zoloft, I found myself in a place I never knew existed. I feel brain damaged. My friends and family chuckle when I say that, but it really feels like someone took my brain and dragged it up and down a highway.

I've also thought every single day about going back on an AD, but my past failed attempts at doing so prevents me from that. Every single AD I tried only made my withdrawal all that much more unbearable. I'm so screwed.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #25
gracemynote

I like being off. I'm finally beginning to feel like myself again. I will never be taking meds again... I don't care. There are other ways that I can deal with things.

2/9/07 PAXIL FREE!!
gracemynote is offline   Reply With Quote