our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 07-04-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
pmflaherty

Will Xanax effect my withdrawal progress?

I know this is probably an old or relatively common question, but how do you guys feel about xanax during withdrawal? Will it hinder my withdrawal progress as far as letting my brain heal up? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
Johnnny off Paxil

Re: Will Xanax effect my withdrawal progress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmflaherty View Post
I know this is probably an old or relatively common question, but how do you guys feel about xanax during withdrawal? Will it hinder my withdrawal progress as far as letting my brain heal up? Thanks.

Are you currently taking Xanax?.

Regards, Johnny
Johnnny off Paxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #3
nicemom

I don't know the answer but I do take it when I have to. I only take 1/4 of a pill and that might be several times a week, if that. I am so afraid of getting addicted. I would not want to take it in large doses or daily.
From 15mg-0 May/June 06 (before finding PP)
Protracted w/d from c/t.

First 10 mths up and down but tolerable.
Akathesia hit at 11 months. Many months of terrible mental and physical torture.
3/09 started Prozac but too stimulating. Currently on 15mg Lexapro and feeling so much better.

Not all who waunder are lost.
nicemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
LinLou

I was given Ativan for Zoloft withdrawal, and I quickly became physically dependent on that. Trouble is, with benzos you develop tolerance VERY quickly and suffer withdrawal symptoms even while you are still taking it. And I was taking the lowest dose ( .50mgs ).

Pat...I am convinced that had I not used Ativan to "help" with Zoloft withdrawal, I would be well by now. Adding the benzo is what sent me over the edge. If you think AD withdrawal is rough, wait until you try benzo withdrawal. Adding in benzos ( on a daily basis ) for AD withdrawal is jumping from the frying pan straight into the fire.

If you do choose to go the benzo route, please use either valium or Klonopin instead. Their half-lives are much longer than Xanax and Ativan and they are what people use to taper off benzos. I hear it is next to impossible to taper Xanax and Ativan.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
emmy

Using other drugs to "help" the w/d from another drug is like treating a chemical burn with more chemicals. I had to learn the hard way before I found these forums. Just ride it out, and enjoy knowing you never have to put another one of those terrible pills in your body. Just let it heal.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
babs
"dare to suck big!"

I used Klonopin on an as-needed basis to help with the worst of my withdrawal but only took .25 mg at a time and made sure I never took it 2 days in a row. It did help when the anxiety got really bad. I probably took it around 3 times a week in the beginning but cut back as I started to feel better. I am of the opinion that used sparingly benzos can help you keep your sanity through the worst of it. Whether or not that had any impact on how quickly I recovered, I don't know. For me, it was worth it.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
2 failed attempts to quit
Tapered Jan-April 2005 (because I didn't know better!)
Paxil-free since May 1, 2005
babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #7
pax80

no problem if taken ocasionly
2006-stopped paxil (1 year taper)
7 years free from drugs

Life is great!
pax80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
safarigal

I used Ativan during my Paxil withdrawal without problem. I also use Ativan now without problems. Some days I take .25mg and other days I need more. I'm one of the lucky few who didn't develop a physical addiction.

I used Xanax in the past and had no problems with that either.

Everyone is different.

Paxil free since Nov 2002!

Forum Rules

Withdrawal FAQ
safarigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #9
mapleleafgirl25

i had a horrible reaction to Ativan...so i personally dont adivse it..ect..but you have to do what is best for you!!

michele
04/11/2012 - 6.0 - 3.4 - 05/05/2013 (Third year into Taper)
06/04/2013 - 3.2 - 1.0 - 05/31/2014 (Fourth Year -Taper Done)
PAXIL FREE - JUNE 1 2014
mapleleafgirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:02 PM   #10
CELESTEP
Banned

On the very rare occasions I used Xanax it caused depression for me. A hangover too, and I only took granules. I took granules of Ativan once and it was okay. That is my history (very limited) to benzos. They are depressants so be careful. You have been thru too much already.
CELESTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #11
Casey1231

For what reason would you be taking the xanax - for anxiety? I seem to recall you saying anxiety wasn't a problem for you anymore, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, xanax works great to reduce anxiety, but it frequently causes rebound anxiety within hours of taking it, which is only alleviated by taking more, and then the cycle begins. I kicked a xanax addiction about 16 years ago and it was worse than paxil, so proceed with caution.
Casey1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #12
LinLou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey1231 View Post
For what reason would you be taking the xanax - for anxiety? I seem to recall you saying anxiety wasn't a problem for you anymore, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, xanax works great to reduce anxiety, but it frequently causes rebound anxiety within hours of taking it, which is only alleviated by taking more, and then the cycle begins. I kicked a xanax addiction about 16 years ago and it was worse than paxil, so proceed with caution.
Casey,

How long did it take for you to recover from the Xanax addiction? Is that the reason you went on Paxil?
Old 07-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #13
TryingtoGetWell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey1231 View Post
That's so true. I was prescribed benzodiazepines as an adjunct anticonvulsants, then when xanax came out doctors thought it was safer (this was at the height of the valium addiction scare) and switched me. At first it seemed to work about the same, but then it would wear off with a CRASH. I told doctors I could set a clock by how I felt; I'd start shaking and feel ghastly.

I tapered off it (in the late 1980s) on my own, over a period of two weeks, as I recall. Then I went into a hell that I had never experienced the likes of before, and which didn't stop. The reason I was put on paxil was partly to try to deal with the effects of that, which still continued six years after I took the last dose of xanax and showed no sign of getting better. It's scary stuff.

I suspect a lot (though certainly not all) of my problems in recovering from paxil are the problems that resulted from the xanax. I used it regularly, however. I wish I knew if occasional use could cause that kind of rebound problem when it wears off. I'm very leary of all medications with short half-lives now -- xanax, paxil...

(Knowing what I know now, I probably should have done a slow taper like what's advised for SSRIs here on PP. But I had been on various anticonvulsants and tapered off each one of them in two weeks with no problems. Xanax was different... Caveat emptor.)
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg
5/17/06 - 5 mg (none 5/20)
5/21-24/06 - 2.5 mg (5/22 - none)
5/25/06 - d/c’d paroxetine
Felt better than in years, then gradual WD symptoms
6/17/06 - Bolted awake in blind terror, started E-ticket ride to hell
2010 - Leaving hell for balmier climate!
(Still on my pre-paxil 0.5 mg clonazepam)
TryingtoGetWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #14
Casey1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWGMLB View Post
Casey,

How long did it take for you to recover from the Xanax addiction? Is that the reason you went on Paxil?
My situation was a little complicated, because I also drank a lot of alcohol during my time (5 years) on xanax. Then I decided to get sober, and was told that I couldn't take any medication in sobriety. So I was going through withdrawal, then having hellacious panic attacks with no therapy to deal with them, then developed PTSD, was hospitalized about 3 times in 18 months, had major, major depersonalization and depression, it just went on and on. Then I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, which was no doubt a result of complete systemic exhaustion from all this stress. Then I was put on imipramine, which actually helped me a lot, I went to nursing school and was doing quite well. Then I decided to start drinking again - big mistake! After a year of on and off binge drinking, I got sober for good, but still didn't know how to handle the frequent anxiety attacks as well as fibro symptoms (fatigue, muscle pains, cognitive fogginess, etc.) The imipramine was giving me unpleasant side effects, like dry mouth and constipation, so that is when I was put on paxil, so I was off xanax for about 2 and a half years at that time.

So, sorry about all that rambling, but it's hard to say - was I still going through xanax withdrawal at that time? I don't think so, but I definitely was sorely lacking in coping skills, plus felt spacy and tired so often, I just couldn't fight it anymore. Needless to say, the psychiatrist reassured me that I would never go through with paxil what I did with xanax, I could just stop when I wanted to, etc. To be fair, I do believe she was a very kind and caring doctor who truly believed this to be the case. I just avoid benzos like the plague now. When I first started withdrawing from paxil too quickly, the anxiety was terrible, and I took some ativan, and the rebound anxiety was atrocious. That's when I had my worst feelings of burning, agitation, etc. I now just try to rest and chill out when I have surges of anxiety, because I know that the temporary relief I will get from taking a benzo is not worth the days of suffering I will go through afterwards. In absolute worst case scenarios, I will take 2.5 mg of valium, and I haven't even done that in months, thank God.
Casey1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:17 AM   #15
pmflaherty

Yeah, I have taken xanax lately to get some sleep. I don't have overwhelming anxiety. I just can't sleep. Honestly, I don't even feel the effects of Xanax. I never really did. I just am able to fall asleep and stay asleep. Ambien and other sleeping aids don't work on me and it just seems like Xanax is the only thing that somewhat helps. My main concern is that I am somehow hindering any brain healing goin on in the way that Paxil messed up.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:00 AM   #16
texgirl
Regina Benzodictius

This can be a slippery slope. Studies have shown that the hynoptic effects of benzos often don't last more than a few weeks. Xanax is an especially bad choice because of its short half-life. If taken regularly (i.e., nightly), it may not work for long and you'll wind up with rebound anxiety, even if you didn't have it before, and insomina that's worse than your original condition. That said, some people can take it for years at the same dose and never reach tolerance. The trouble is that you may not know which category you fall into till it's too late. As a sleep aid I wouldn't use it more than once every week or two, and at the lowest possible dose.

Face. Accept. Float. Let Time Pass. — Dr. Claire Weekes

We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same. — Carlos Castañeda
texgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #17
Johnnny off Paxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by texgirl View Post
This can be a slippery slope. Studies have shown that the hynoptic effects of benzos often don't last more than a few weeks. Xanax is an especially bad choice because of its short half-life. If taken regularly (i.e., nightly), it may not work for long and you'll wind up with rebound anxiety, even if you didn't have it before, and insomina that's worse than your original condition. That said, some people can take it for years at the same dose and never reach tolerance. The trouble is that you may not know which category you fall into till it's too late. As a sleep aid I wouldn't use it more than once every week or two, and at the lowest possible dose.

I agree... benzo's have this ability to bite back and bite back hard .... Have you considered any "natural " alternatives?

Passionflower or Valerian?

Regards, Johnny
Old 07-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #18
texgirl
Regina Benzodictius

Quote:
Originally Posted by texgirl View Post
the hynoptic effects of benzos
Sorry, that should have read "the hypnotic effects." Dyslexic typing is a curious new side effect of w/d for me . . .

We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same. — Carlos Castañeda
Old 07-06-2007, 05:52 AM   #19
pmflaherty

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Still not sure if I got an answer on whether xanax is going to hinder the healing of my brain/ neurotransmitters (if there is any happening at all anyway).
Old 07-06-2007, 08:01 AM   #20
nicemom

Does ativan not cause the reboud anxiety that xanax does? Can anyone tell me.
Protracted w/d from c/t.

Akathesia hit at 11 months. Many months of terrible mental and physical torture.
3/09 started Prozac but too stimulating. Currently on 15mg Lexapro and feeling so much better.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #21
nicemom

pm, I think the anwer is that it should not if you take it only when necessary. Whenever things like that are brought up members are concerned more about addiction.
Protracted w/d from c/t.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:06 AM   #22
Johnnny off Paxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmflaherty View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Still not sure if I got an answer on whether xanax is going to hinder the healing of my brain/ neurotransmitters (if there is any happening at all anyway).
Benzo's like xanax and ativan heal nothing ..and Pat we went over this before..and the final verdict was... just stay away from any drugs..period.

Regards, Johnny
Old 07-06-2007, 08:11 AM   #23
LinLou

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemom View Post
Ativan ruined my life. It absolutely caused a hellacious rebound anxiety for me. But, I was told by my doc to take it daily, so I did for 8 months. I believe I would be healed from the Zoloft withdrawal by now, had I not added in Ativan to "help". For me, that is one wicked little drug.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:04 AM   #24
texgirl
Regina Benzodictius

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemom View Post
Diane, Ativan and Xanax are two of the worst for rebound anxiety as they have short half-lives (Xanax's is the shortest except for Halcion, which I don't think is widely prescribed anymore). I hate to seem as if I'm endorsing a benzo, but Klonopin and Valium are "better" in that they stay in the system longer and are supposedly easier to taper off. But the risk of abuse and addiction is the same for all of them, and tapering off any benzo can make Paxil w/d seem like a picnic. I never had depersonalization or thoughts of self-harm during Paxil w/d, but I struggled with these for a few weeks during Klonopin w/d. And I'm going slow. Light at the end of the tunnel now (I decided to stay on a very low dose and stabilize before doing the final drop), but for a while there things were rough . . .