our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
anastasio
 
anastasio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 429
Do your limbs go numb easily?

I've noticed in the past month really that my legs/feet, even pelvic region can get really numb if I am sitting a certain way for any length of time. I think it's somewhat normal but something I used to experience maybe a few times a year, not a few times a day. I have other neurological symptoms like muscle twitching all over my body, an incredibly strange pressure on my forehead and chest, and really cold hands. I have an MRI scheduled for the day after Christmas to rule out the worst but these seem to be just more physical symptoms on top of all the other stuff I have. Anyone else?
__________________
6/2004 - 6/2007: Paxil 20mg
6/2007: c/t'd
6/2007 - Present:
anastasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #2
Chrysalis
 
Chrysalis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,057
Re: Do your limbs go numb easily?

My limbs go numb very easily, but they've always been this way, even pre-Paxhell. I have to change position very frequently to prevent limbs "going to sleep," -- much more so than your average bear.

My hands go cold very easily, but they always have. My right hand and my right foot go cold more often, and to a greater degree, than my left. These things have worsened over the years, but it's probably because I'm getting older.

For myself, I can't blame these things on Paxhell because they existed before I took the poison. I have no way of knowing if Paxhell played a role in their worsening.

Margaret
__________________
6/97 Paxil 20 mg daily
1/06 -5/06 20 mg to 10, then 10 mg to 5 (NOT recommended!)
8/5/06 switched to liquid Paxil, 5 mg
Slow taper with last dose on 8/18/07
Toprol XL 25 mg daily for cardiac arrhythmia
Trazodone, 25 mg, tapered, last dose on 12/12/07
Tart cherry, Magnesium Citrate, Salmon oil,
Glucosamine and MSM, Multivitamin w/iron
Zinc (23 mg) & Echinacea lozenge - 1 daily
Activia yogurt
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
anastasio
 
anastasio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 429
Re: Do your limbs go numb easily?

I no longer believe this is w/d. Half of my left hand has been numb for 12 hours, my face is getting worse with muscle pain and pressure. It literally gets worse every day. I can not wait for my MRI. If nothing shows up and this is w/d I don't know what else I can do but I know I can't live like this.
__________________
6/2004 - 6/2007: Paxil 20mg
6/2007: c/t'd
6/2007 - Present:
anastasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
Katesmom
 
Katesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,812
Re: Do your limbs go numb easily?

I will say that I had about two months of this where I had numb toes and sometimes feet about half of the time at about 14-16 months off paxil. It went away on its own.

Having said that, it's always better to be safe than sorry, but don't panic about this. Mine went away as suddenly and as without explanation as it came.
__________________
Katesmom aka Kim

started Paxil Oct. 2003 for PIH
Paxil free since 19 Jul 2005


". . .the cruelest lies are often told without a word. . .the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." -- Ben Folds
Katesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:47 PM   #5
Johnnny off Paxil
 
Johnnny off Paxil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Persona Non Grata... I am No Expert on Nothing
Posts: 3,114
Re: Do your limbs go numb easily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anastasio View Post
I've noticed in the past month really that my legs/feet, even pelvic region can get really numb if I am sitting a certain way for any length of time. I think it's somewhat normal but something I used to experience maybe a few times a year, not a few times a day. I have other neurological symptoms like muscle twitching all over my body, an incredibly strange pressure on my forehead and chest, and really cold hands. I have an MRI scheduled for the day after Christmas to rule out the worst but these seem to be just more physical symptoms on top of all the other stuff I have. Anyone else?

Yup..absolutely noymall...don't worry about it , as Katesmom said..it does go away..I am at month 13 and its already almost 100% gone..just my left foot every once and awhile.

Regards, Johnny
Johnnny off Paxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:08 AM   #6
Esperance
 
Esperance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: London (UK)
Posts: 408
Re: Do your limbs go numb easily?

I would get it checked out ASAP just to make sure it isn't anything sinister. I have a problem with my hands going numb, it's because of muscle problems in my shoulders pressing on nerves. But until we found out what was causing it, there was worry about stroke or other neurological problems. Numbness and loss of feeling can be something really mild, or a sign of something that needs immediate attention. Good luck
__________________
Esperance
20 mg in '03 for Fibromyalgia
Two failed attempts to reduce the dose
Nov 2007 - 20 mg
gradually reducing to 5 mg
So far so good. . .
--------------------------

Hope doesn't come from calculating whether the good news is winning out over the bad.
It's simply a choice to take action.


Anna Lappe
Esperance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:14 AM   #7
LCrawford67
Moderator
"Freakishly Optimistic"
 
LCrawford67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 34,690
Re: Do your limbs go numb easily?

I'd be more concerned with radiation from an MRI than I would this. Search the forum, you'll see this is a very common w/d complaint and absolutely nothing to worry about.
__________________
aka LC
aka Laurie C.


Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07


Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
Johnnny off Paxil
 
Johnnny off Paxil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Persona Non Grata... I am No Expert on Nothing
Posts: 3,114
Re: Do your limbs go numb easily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperance View Post
I would get it checked out ASAP just to make sure it isn't anything sinister. I have a problem with my hands going numb, it's because of muscle problems in my shoulders pressing on nerves. But until we found out what was causing it, there was worry about stroke or other neurological problems. Numbness and loss of feeling can be something really mild, or a sign of something that needs immediate attention. Good luck

I beg to differ...if your on SSRI's..this is what happens...very common and no need to "silently freak out " and start seeking all the "ologists" in the world to see if you have MS or a brain tumor..you don't OK...now if you plan to get off these drugs...these symptoms will even continue for some time after your free of them ..that is also quite normal.


Regards , Johnny
Johnnny off Paxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #9
Katesmom
 
Katesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,812
Re: Do your limbs go numb easily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnny off Paxil View Post
I beg to differ...if your on SSRI's..this is what happens...very common and no need to "silently freak out " and start seeking all the "ologists" in the world to see if you have MS or a brain tumor..you don't OK...now if you plan to get off these drugs...these symptoms will even continue for some time after your free of them ..that is also quite normal.


Regards , Johnny
Amen!!!
__________________
Katesmom aka Kim

started Paxil Oct. 2003 for PIH
Paxil free since 19 Jul 2005


". . .the cruelest lies are often told without a word. . .the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." -- Ben Folds
Katesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:31 PM   #10
anastasio
 
anastasio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 429
Re: Do your limbs go numb easily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrawford67 View Post
I'd be more concerned with radiation from an MRI than I would this. Search the forum, you'll see this is a very common w/d complaint and absolutely nothing to worry about.
There is no radiation with an MRI. You are probably thinking of a CT scan. Thanks for the thought though.
__________________
6/2004 - 6/2007: Paxil 20mg
6/2007: c/t'd
6/2007 - Present:
anastasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
babs
"dare to suck big!"
 
babs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,205
Re: Do your limbs go numb easily?

For what it's worth, I've been on this forum a long time and have seen many many posts that say "I have X symptom, does anybody else have this? I think it's something serious," they end up seeing one or more doctors and having one or more tests, and 99% of the time everything comes back normal. Withdrawal can cause ALL sorts of strange symptoms, and the withdrawal anxiety makes it really easy to freak out. For some people, they will continue to be anxious about it until they DO have tests run and see that everything's fine, and it that case I guess it's worth it just to know for sure, but all that testing can run into a lot of money.
__________________
Babs

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
2 failed attempts to quit
Tapered Jan-April 2005 (because I didn't know better!)
Paxil-free since May 1, 2005
babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:22 PM   #12
Paxhell
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 176
Re: Do your limbs go numb easily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
For what it's worth, I've been on this forum a long time and have seen many many posts that say "I have X symptom, does anybody else have this? I think it's something serious," they end up seeing one or more doctors and having one or more tests, and 99% of the time everything comes back normal. Withdrawal can cause ALL sorts of strange symptoms, and the withdrawal anxiety makes it really easy to freak out. For some people, they will continue to be anxious about it until they DO have tests run and see that everything's fine, and it that case I guess it's worth it just to know for sure, but all that testing can run into a lot of money.
I have these pins and needles feeling in my lips, sometimes hands, sometimes my penis, that comes and goes away quickly, this is just after i started tapering, is that normal??
Paxhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:26 PM   #13
LCrawford67
Moderator
"Freakishly Optimistic"
 
LCrawford67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 34,690
Re: Do your limbs go numb easily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anastasio View Post
There is no radiation with an MRI. You are probably thinking of a CT scan. Thanks for the thought though.

Yes, I knew that <DUH>!! But, you did get my point, that's all that matters
__________________
aka LC
aka Laurie C.


Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07


Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:38 PM   #14
Mango
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Do your limbs go numb easily?

I had numbness like you wouldnt believe. It is what made me aware of the side effects of ADs for the first time. Whenever my legs were elevated, sitting with them on coffee table or in bed, the tops of both legs went numb almost immediately. This went on constantly for two years before I went off the meds. I only went off because of symptoms like that. It took many months before my limbs returned to normal. I also had restless legs ( and ARMS! ) symdrome when I was on ADs. After quiting, it took many months before my body stopped doing such odd things.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:07 PM   #15
anastasio
 
anastasio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 429
Re: Do your limbs go numb easily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxhell View Post
I have these pins and needles feeling in my lips, sometimes hands, sometimes my penis, that comes and goes away quickly, this is just after i started tapering, is that normal??
I haven't brought this up but since you mentioned it I also have been having sharp quick pains in my penis. Usually about twice a day lasting for maybe 10 seconds or 10 minutes but never any longer. I saw a urologist who thought I could have an infection so I took some antibiotics and that's when all my muscle spasms started so who the hell knows.

babs - I'm sure that is the case but I still prefer to have the tests done. It will be much better for my mental health. Also when a lot of my other symptoms started I had a terrible pain over my bellybutton that was from a hernia I was born with that needed to be repaired. So I had that surgery and it had nothing to do with w/d, just happened at the same time. I think it's smart not to let the physical stuff bother you too much (easier said than done) but also don't chalk everything up to w/d when something could be seriously wrong with you.
__________________
6/2004 - 6/2007: Paxil 20mg
6/2007: c/t'd
6/2007 - Present:
anastasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:57 AM   #16
anastasio
 
anastasio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 429
Re: Do your limbs go numb easily?

Just thought I'd update that my blood work and brain scan came out fine. The neurologist said it could be MS but he didn't see any signs right now and wasn't that concerned so I have a followup in 4 months. Just knowing I don't have a tumor is a HUGE weight off me so maybe this is the first real step in recovering.
__________________
6/2004 - 6/2007: Paxil 20mg
6/2007: c/t'd
6/2007 - Present:
anastasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:35 PM.


We are not in any way affiliated with Paxil's manufacturer GlaxoSmithKline.
Our ideas and suggestions are anecdotal, inspirational, and they work.

Get the best web browser, FireFox

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.