our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 02-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
Samalabear

Back Muscle Pain

I need help and not sure where to turn at this point. I had neck pain, like a stiff neck, that started over a week ago. It started right after yoga, so I put it down to my body not being used to moving like this. Well, the last three days have been hell. When I bend my neck forward and look down I feel muscle pain, like I pulled something, in my upper back, mainly the left side and going down to mid-back now. I feel a bit feverish, too. The pain is not as bad today, that I will say. I don't even want to get into the sleep issues. I sleep but it's broken up over 6 hours with about five trips to the bathroom. Naps during the day, I can lie down, but I still don't fall asleep.

As you know, I don't have insurance and I'm terrified of doctors. I also now have a $2,800 bill for an ER visit because I thought I might be having a heart problem, and that was in September. The upshot of that was my heart was fine and, yeah, here's some Xanax (which ended up causing more problems then it solved and so exit the Xanax).

I thought about going into a walk-in clinic, but I don't know what they will do other than throw meds at me, and how I would ever begin to explain to this doc my Paxil history and what this drug did to me? I'm sure he would just roll his eyes and say it's not possible -- you know, the usual. In other words, I know what I'm up against and it's very depressing. I feel I need help and have no idea how to get. Calming down it easier to do when I'm not in pain like this.

I never had serious, continuous health problems until Paxil -- or I should say post-Paxil -- or felt this bad for so long. Amazingly, my HBP problems resolved during Paxil use and even in WD did not come back, probably due to my diet being changed so much for the better. Like Paxil I was told I would be on Norvasc the rest of my life. I guess not.
Switched Paxil CR 2004
CR 2005 recalled
Switch generic Paroxotine
2003 start poop-out
April 21, 2006 CT
Off Paxil since April 21, 2006
ADVICE: NEVER CT

Am I better? I got through the worst of worst in three years. Still living with the damage, financial, creative and otherwise, that Paxil left me with.
Samalabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Amaya's Nana
An "A bucket" gal!

Re: Back Muscle Pain

Cathy - it sounds like a muscle strain maybe to me. Except, I had this frequently during withdrawal and had a very bad bout of it last week weaning this benzo. The pain is truly excrutiating........from the left side of my neck all the way down the left side of my spine to just underneath my left shoulder blade. It subsided with no help from me (except for taking one flexeril on the third night because I just could not sleep from the pain).

Have you taken your temp or do you just "feel" feverish? Is there a headache accompanying the neck/back pain?

a/k/a Lisa
PAXIL FREE AS OF 3/18/06! Fully recovered!

Focus your attention on the here and now. Recognize it for what it is: the one moment of the only life you will ever have that you truly possess. Rare is the individual who has come to completely accept that the past is no more than a memory and the future an assumption about unborn events.
Amaya's Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
Samalabear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaya's Nana View Post
Cathy - it sounds like a muscle strain maybe to me. Except, I had this frequently during withdrawal and had a very bad bout of it last week weaning this benzo. The pain is truly excrutiating........from the left side of my neck all the way down the left side of my spine to just underneath my left shoulder blade. It subsided with no help from me (except for taking one flexeril on the third night because I just could not sleep from the pain).

Have you taken your temp or do you just "feel" feverish? Is there a headache accompanying the neck/back pain?
I haven't taken my temp. I'm going to have to buy a thermometer, because all that stuff got lost while I was on Paxil and I wouldn't know where to begin.

Thank God, no, I haven't had a headache with this. That has to be something of a miracle. What you described with the left side of the next to just underneath the left shoulder blade is where the balance of the problem is. Now I feel tightness when I bend my head down straight. I feel the pain now when I look over my left shoulder.
Switched Paxil CR 2004
CR 2005 recalled
2003 start poop-out
April 21, 2006 CT

Am I better? I got through the worst of worst in three years. Still living with the damage, financial, creative and otherwise, that Paxil left me with.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
imokay
Sometimes ya just gotta
say F$%^ YOU!

oh Cathy I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I went to the ER yesterday because it felt like one of my vertebrae was out of whack..it wasn't but I have a severe sprain in my neck. I also just got back from the chiropractor and this is what he said to do ...NO HEAT for the first 72 hours ICE ONLY!!! He said that is VERY important. Also take some ibuprofen, I usually take up to 4 of them since 800mgs is the prescription strength, but make sure you take them with a snack so your tummy doesn't get upset. He also said to drink s ton of water because it helps keep your muscles "oiled". Once you are feeling a little better then do some gentle stretches.

When the world says, "Give up,"
Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure"

imokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:34 AM   #5
Amaya's Nana
An "A bucket" gal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samalabear View Post
I haven't taken my temp. I'm going to have to buy a thermometer, because all that stuff got lost while I was on Paxil and I wouldn't know where to begin.

Thank God, no, I haven't had a headache with this. That has to be something of a miracle. What you described with the left side of the next to just underneath the left shoulder blade is where the balance of the problem is. Now I feel tightness when I bend my head down straight. I feel the pain now when I look over my left shoulder.
Sounds exactly like what I experience. Cally's chiro is right about the ice. I alternate ice and heat and that seems to help. Other than that, I take massive doses of ibuprofen for a couple of days and try my best to keep my upper back relaxed and then it calms down. I know how bad it hurts though! Hugs to you and I hope you feel better soon.

a/k/a Lisa
PAXIL FREE AS OF 3/18/06! Fully recovered!

Focus your attention on the here and now. Recognize it for what it is: the one moment of the only life you will ever have that you truly possess. Rare is the individual who has come to completely accept that the past is no more than a memory and the future an assumption about unborn events.
Amaya's Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:14 PM   #6
Johnnny off Paxil

Thats right..no heat..you want to reduce the swelling, not inflame it.....

Its most likely Paxil related..though it usually comes later in withdrawal...

Regards, Johnny
Johnnny off Paxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:37 AM   #7
Samalabear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnny off Paxil View Post

Its most likely Paxil related..though it usually comes later in withdrawal...

Regards, Johnny
I'm almost two years off.

This does feel more and more like a pinched nerve or strain, very stiff. I was wondering instead of wasting bucks on a doc, who would most likely try to placate me with a muscle relaxant, how about I spend the same money, or less, and get a massage. I've haven't had a massage in years and haven't in WD because I've read here of so many people having bad reactions to the CNS. What do you think?
Switched Paxil CR 2004
CR 2005 recalled
2003 start poop-out
April 21, 2006 CT

Old 02-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
Johnnny off Paxil

Quote:
I'm almost two years off.

This does feel more and more like a pinched nerve or strain, very stiff. I was wondering instead of wasting bucks on a doc, who would most likely try to placate me with a muscle relaxant, how about I spend the same money, or less, and get a massage. I've haven't had a massage in years and haven't in WD because I've read here of so many people having bad reactions to the CNS. What do you think?

At this point your at 21 months off.. I think its perfectly safe to have some massage therapy, its really helped me. I use it in conjunction with walking and exercise as a means of getting to the deep tissue and lymphatic system which I belive have been comprimised by the SSRI use.

In fact there is probably more risk from "backlash" no pun intended., from using those horrible muscle relaxants .

Regards, Johnny
Johnnny off Paxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
Samalabear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnny off Paxil View Post

In fact there is probably more risk from "backlash" no pun intended., from using those horrible muscle relaxants .

Regards, Johnny
Yes, I've had adverse reactions to these and, frankly, they never did anything but zonk me out and made me feel miserable. A year before I went on Paxil, my doc gave me samples for Relafen (GSK) for a shoulder strain. Took one and threw the rest down the toilet (should have done this with Paxil). Didn't feel good at all.

Me and prescriptions don't seem to get along well. Ironically all the ones that gave me the most trouble were GSK: Augmentin, Relafen, Compazine (deathly allergic to this one) and, of course, the granddaddy of bad, Paxil.
Switched Paxil CR 2004
CR 2005 recalled
2003 start poop-out
April 21, 2006 CT

Old 02-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
imokay
Sometimes ya just gotta
say F$%^ YOU!

Quote:
Yes, I've had adverse reactions to these and, frankly, they never did anything but zonk me out and made me feel miserable.
I was given RObaxin for my neck the other day and it made me feel totally out of whack. I only took it twice it just wasn't worth it.
How are you feeling today?

When the world says, "Give up,"
Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure"

imokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #11
Samalabear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmykids View Post
I was given RObaxin for my neck the other day and it made me feel totally out of whack. I only took it twice it just wasn't worth it.
How are you feeling today?
I'm not as bad. My neck is more stiff than painful and the pain is now confined mainly to the shoulder blade area. I have to get through a job I'm doing, but since I had thought of spending $$ to get this looked at in the walk-in center, I will spend this money productively and get a massage.

Thank you so much for asking. It is so appreciate
Switched Paxil CR 2004
CR 2005 recalled
2003 start poop-out
April 21, 2006 CT

Old 02-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
paxilgirl
"Stinks of lavender"

Quote:
Yes, I've had adverse reactions to these and, frankly, they never did anything but zonk me out and made me feel miserable. A year before I went on Paxil, my doc gave me samples for Relafen (GSK) for a shoulder strain. Took one and threw the rest down the toilet (should have done this with Paxil). Didn't feel good at all.

Me and prescriptions don't seem to get along well. Ironically all the ones that gave me the most trouble were GSK: Augmentin, Relafen, Compazine (deathly allergic to this one) and, of course, the granddaddy of bad, Paxil.

I hope you are feeling better, but as an FYI, please in the future don't throw pills and medicines down the toilet...these meds leech into our water systems and lakes. I think you can bring back old meds, or meds that adversely affect you back to the pharmacist for proper disposal.

Put on Paxil for situational depression in August 2003. Was also on .5 mg of Clonozapem.
Started on 10mg and increased to 30mg.
Weaned off during the summer of 2004.
Became PAXIL FREE October 4, 2004.
Completely recovered!!!

When you stop learning, you start dying.
paxilgirl is offline   Reply With Quote