our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 05-08-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
ZREAL

adrenal fatigue anyone?

Is anyone being treated for this and does coming off of paxil have caused this, stress hormone to deplete?

I suspect I have it and have had a saliva test to show my cortisol burden level is (24). I am skeptical about treatment since am so sensitive to almost anything I put in my mouth. And Hydrocortisone is one of the choices, but after paxil am terrified of meds and dont want to go there,. So would try the alternative before, the only thing is that most supplements contain something that will most likely make me ANXIOUS and so have to be careful.

Also would like to know how DHEA helps??
FYI,I have been paxil free for over three years.
ZREAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
pax80

Re: adrenal fatigue anyone?

I believe some of us are going through that in wd...

what are your symptoms?
2006-stopped paxil (1 year taper)
7 years free from drugs

Life is great!
pax80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
LinLou

Yes...withdrawal or any traumatic event can cause adrenal fatigue. There is an adrenal fatigue support group and there are lots of people there who developed this because of prescription drugs and withdrawal.

It can heal naturally with time, rest, eating right and staying away from stimulants, and getting the right nutrients. I read that it takes at least two years or longer in some cases. I think medication is only used if the adrenals are completely shot because it suppresses your natural cortisol and then your adrenals will never recover on their own.

I personally believe that loooong protracted withdrawal has a lot to do with adrenal fatigue or burnout. My adrenals actually ache sometimes. Irks me that it is not recognized as a real medical problem. Only complete adrenal failure is acknowledged ( Addison's disease, or Cushings ). But then why do they acknowledge a sluggish or overactive thyroid can wreak havoc with the body and they will treat that even if it's still producing some hormone? Just babbling and thinking out loud.

I recently learned that John F Kennedy suffered from Addison's disease when his adrenals failed from shock when his boat was bombed during the war. He was on cortisone therapy.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
LinLou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZREAL View Post
the only thing is that most supplements contain something that will most likely make me ANXIOUS and so have to be careful.
I have this problem, too, and have to use a wholefoods liquid vitamin and take baby amounts with a syringe. I'm slowly trying to titrate up with it, as my body allows. The recommended dose is too stimulating, but the baby dose is tolerable. At least I'm getting a little bit of something.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
TrainerGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWGMLB View Post
My adrenals actually ache sometimes.
I started getting this strange ache in my lower back as soon as I started taking Paxil. I ignored it for awhile. And then I just assumed that it was my kidneys and that they were going to fail at any moment. (yep, jumped right into the worst case scenario!) Since joining this forum and reading about adrenal fatigue I'm convinced that is what is actually going on.

Do you do anything to take away the ache? I usually lay on my stomach and put a hot pack on my lower back. It feels great and I tend to go to bed like this every night!
Old 05-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
twon

Adrenal fatigue testing

Hi,
Can some one provide me with the names of tests for Adrenal fatigue...if any..

Thanks
twon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
ZREAL

Re: Adrenal fatigue testing

Its simply a saliva test kit. Google Canary club for more details. Chances are a regular doctor wont have this kit.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
leo79

Yeah I did this saliva test and I'm waiting back the results. Probably cortisol will be too high and so then I can try and reduce it with supplements. Not sure about DHEA, I've read a lot of good stuff about it, but also it's risky to take it as it's powerful and can cause psychosis or mania. I'll let you know what my results are when I get them.

Poisoned by SSRIs.
leo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
scotty
Administrator

Ryan has the classic symptoms of adrenal fatigue. Had Cortisol levels drawn and they were normal. The original diagnosing doc(who I absolutely trust) agreed that even with the "normal" cortisol his symptoms were still indicative of adrenal fatigue. He took Florinef(a flourocorticoid) for 2 months which controlled his symptoms but had alot of side effects, but then decided to try dietary changes only. He increased his salt intake and wears compression stockings to prevent the low blood pressure. He is now symptom free and it is resolving slowly on it's own.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #10
Scott

i had it before drugs.. in fact that's what led me to my first panic attack

here's a great book on it.. i just started reading it

What has happened to it all?
Crazy, some are saying
Where is the life that I recognize?
Gone away

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

surviving an ssri reaction
alternative anxiety treatments
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #11
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
He increased his salt intake and wears compression stockings to prevent the low blood pressure.
that's one thing i was wondering about.. in the book i just posted about the guy recommends increasing or salting your food.. i never realized this was a good thing. But i read there are many different kinds and the iodized table salt is garbage in comparison.

What has happened to it all?
Crazy, some are saying
Where is the life that I recognize?
Gone away

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

surviving an ssri reaction
alternative anxiety treatments
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #12
ZREAL

Thanks for your response guys....I recently started taking natural herbs along with vitamins that are good for your adrenals, which include licorice and many others, also doc said DHEA but that I havent takent because I am a little scared to try...My symptoms consisted of low blood sugar and and could hardly pick myself up to to everyday normal things, very low energy, has also affected my sleep a lot. Have felt pretty decent these past couple of days with new supplements, but will see. Doc says treatment has to be at least three months.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:30 AM   #13
silence4now

The test for adrenal fatigue is an ASI or adrenal stress index, a 24 hour saliva test for cortisol. It can be ordered through the mail through Canary Club or by a healthcare practitioner. The lab that typically does the test is Diagnos-Techs. Their interpretation of the results also includes some suggestions for treating low or high cortisol depending on your results.

There are different stages of adrenal stress. It is critical to identify what stage you are in because treatment for high cortisol is different than treatment for low cortisol but often the symptoms can look the same. That is where the cortisol test comes in. Many of us go immediately into stage 1 after withdrawing from Paxil, but end up in stage 3 after years (which is where i am right now).

The book that Scott mentions above is very good. This is also a good article that describes the different stages:

http://www.tuberose.com/Adrenal_Glands.html

There is no magic potion for treating the adrenals, although there are some supplements and some things you can do to support the adrenals while they heal on their own. If they fail to heal and become completely dysfunctional, this is another disease process in and of itself called Addison's Disease. I think the typical Paxil user deals with adrenal stress at some point after withdrawal, but rarely will it develop into a full blow adrenal failure unless there are other issues.
silence4now is offline   Reply With Quote