our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
Moe142

Paxil and Lexapro together??

I am switching over form paxil to lexapro. I have been on paxil for 6 years. 20mg. Its just NOT working anymore. My Dr. switched me over to lexapro. 10mg. He said take 10 mg of paxil for a week then switch over to lexapro. I did, BUT I am going through some mild withdrawel. Brain fog and feel on the edge of panic. So, Now I am going to go back on paxil to 10mg while taking 5 mg of lexapro and taper the paxil over 3-4 months til I am done with paxil and on 10 of lexapro. Can I take the paxil and lexapro at the same time? I DO NOT want to get a seritonin overload!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Amaya's Nana
An "A bucket" gal!

Re: Paxil and Lexapro together??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe142 View Post
I am switching over form paxil to lexapro. I have been on paxil for 6 years. 20mg. Its just NOT working anymore. My Dr. switched me over to lexapro. 10mg. He said take 10 mg of paxil for a week then switch over to lexapro. I did, BUT I am going through some mild withdrawel. Brain fog and feel on the edge of panic. So, Now I am going to go back on paxil to 10mg while taking 5 mg of lexapro and taper the paxil over 3-4 months til I am done with paxil and on 10 of lexapro. Can I take the paxil and lexapro at the same time? I DO NOT want to get a seritonin overload!
I just reread your post. You can disregard the instructions except you need to slowly titrate both Paxil and Lex.

10 mg of Lexapro is the equivalent of 20 mg of Paxil. So, in essence, your doctor had you on the equivalent of 30 mg of Paxil if you were taking 10 mg of Lex and 10 mg of Paxil. Also, Lexapro can be a lot more stimulating than Paxil. You need to slowly titrate the Lex up while titrating the Paxil down but don't go over the 20 mg of Paxil, i.e, 2.5 mg of Lex and 15 mg of Paxil would be your target dose of 20 mg of Paxil. You won't get serotonin overload by doing it this way BUT, Lexapro will not cover the withdrawal symptoms of Paxil. Been there, done that and it just doesn't work.

a/k/a Lisa
PAXIL FREE AS OF 3/18/06! Fully recovered!

Focus your attention on the here and now. Recognize it for what it is: the one moment of the only life you will ever have that you truly possess. Rare is the individual who has come to completely accept that the past is no more than a memory and the future an assumption about unborn events.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
texgirl
Regina Benzodictius

If you were on Paxil for anxiety, I would not advise taking Lexapro. As Lisa said, it's stimulating, and can worsen panic/anxiety. And you'll still have to deal with Paxil withdrawal.

Face. Accept. Float. Let Time Pass. — Dr. Claire Weekes

We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same. — Carlos Castañeda
Old 07-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
Moe142

Yea, I just found that out! Now I am off a Lexapro. Still on 10mg of Paxil. What if I switch to Welbutrin? I think I am feeling vertigo. Some days are good. (my mind is clear) and some days are kind of bad. I have been on Paxil for 6 years. Started on 40mg now down to 10mg. When I work out I feel SOOOOOO much better.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #5
Amaya's Nana
An "A bucket" gal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe142 View Post
Yea, I just found that out! Now I am off a Lexapro. Still on 10mg of Paxil. What if I switch to Welbutrin? I think I am feeling vertigo. Some days are good. (my mind is clear) and some days are kind of bad. I have been on Paxil for 6 years. Started on 40mg now down to 10mg. When I work out I feel SOOOOOO much better.

Wellbutrin will not help with anxiety, if that is what you're currently experiencing. Nothing and I mean nothing will alleviate paxil withdrawal. No other a/d is going to help. Wellbutrin targets your dopamine and is really a mood lifter rather than an anti-anxiety drug. Wellbutrin can be just as stimulating as Lexapro. But, I've taken both and Lex was much worse.

If you've been on Paxil for 6 years, you are approaching the poop out stage. Some people hit it faster than others. For me, 6 years was when I started having some unexplainable symptoms and weirdness. I took it for another two years until all hell broke loose and I was in full blown poop out.

The time may have come for you to seriously consider tapering slowly off the 10 mg. and living life without an SSRI. These drugs don't work forever and the longer you take them, the more changes they are making in your brain until your brain and body finally say STOP IT! You can get off an SSRI safely and you can live without one. You just have to go slow, slow, slow and get lots of support from friends, family, and the people here.

a/k/a Lisa
PAXIL FREE AS OF 3/18/06! Fully recovered!

Focus your attention on the here and now. Recognize it for what it is: the one moment of the only life you will ever have that you truly possess. Rare is the individual who has come to completely accept that the past is no more than a memory and the future an assumption about unborn events.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
LarryJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaya's Nana View Post
You can get off an SSRI safely and you can live without one. You just have to go slow, slow, slow and get lots of support from friends, family, and the people here.

Great advice Lisa.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
JimmyS

I am taking lexapro for anxiety now, zoloft left me so agitated I could barely stand it, just my first day on lexapro, I hope I dont find it too stimulating, I believe it is a very good med for anxiety once you get over the initial S/E.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #9
Samalabear

Moe, my brother was on Lexapro for a little over a year for anxiety. He regrets it. And after getting off it he's had really severe episodes. He's in long-term therapy right now and it's working.
Switched Paxil CR 2004
CR 2005 recalled
Switch generic Paroxotine
2003 start poop-out
April 21, 2006 CT
Off Paxil since April 21, 2006
ADVICE: NEVER CT

Am I better? I got through the worst of worst in three years. Still living with the damage, financial, creative and otherwise, that Paxil left me with.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:36 AM   #10
JimmyS

well I lasted two days on the lexapro, became severely paranoid, extremely confused, angry, dizzy and lethargic. Thats it for me, no more meds, I swear it!
Old 12-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
steeleybomber

My psych took me off Mirtazapine 30mg for 2 days then straight onto 10mg Lexepro. Woke up with Serotonin Syndrome. That was in August 13, and am still going through Mirt. WD - now taking half my original dose.

I wish you all the very best.

steelrybomber
Old 12-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
scotty
Administrator

This thread is 9 years old. Please don't bump old threads.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
Closed Thread