our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Health Challenges
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health Challenges Anxiety, depression, OCD, headaches, weight and more.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 08-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
tampahitman

Can stress weaken your immune system dramatically?

Im curious, if you are taking Xanax and paxil to Help end your anxiety, if the stress can be so bad, it causes your immune system to break down.
I used to have panic attacks everyday, every single day.
Panic attacks that were crippling, i would be on the ground with a tight chest and my lips and face going numb...
I want to know what side effects this kind of stress can have on an otherwise healthy 22yr old?
tampahitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
rdjanis
"has a lavender scented keyboard"

Re: Can stress weaken your immune system dramatically?

Too much stress is not healthy for anyone. It can affect both physical and mental health. There is only so much a person can take before the body starts to wear down.

The trick is to find a good therapist that will help you deal with stress, find your triggers to panic, so that you can learn to manage them yourself. It's hard work, and could take time finding the right therapist, but this kind of solution is life long and doesn't come with side effects.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
tampahitman

Im worried that i soon might get sick or worse...
I dont have health insurance to see a therapist, nor the money...
What can i do to decrease the stress??
Old 08-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
rdjanis

There are tons of good books out there to purchase if a therapist is out of reach. Do a search for books on the site here.

Worrying about future sickness is only adding more stress. Once one has anxiety, it's very easy to get caught up with continued stressful thoughts, and feeding the anxiety.

One thing you can do for a start, each time you start to feel stressed, sit quietly and only allow pleasant peaceful thoughts in. Sounds easy, it's not for some, wasn't for my daughter.

It's kind of like training the brain to jump away from anxious thoughts easily, instead of focusing on the anxiety, which in turn creates more stress, more anxious thoughts.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

The drugs theselves can also effect your immune system as they deplete nutrients:

http://www.alive.com/3761a1a2.php?su...read_cramb=181

What are the things in your life that are causing you stress? Those are the things you need to identify first. Then, you need to either eliminate those things, or find ways of dealing with them.

Others have found great success in the books by Claire Weeks and the Feeling Good Handbook by Dr. David Burns.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
tampahitman

Yea, i cant seem to escape what causes my anxiety, can i ask, does this feeling ever leave?
Do you ever just rid yourself of anxiety?
I never used to be like this, i was happy and never got stressed out, i didnt even have a headache until i was 19. I have never suffered from stress...
Maybe it's being introduced to a world where i have to make it on my own has changed my mind....I have never had to speak for myself or pay for anything, i just partied and had a lot of girlfriends, Cruises, road trips, the most fun a young guy can have, then the drinking got to me.
I started having anxiety, i stopped getting a free ride, so i have to support myself, my anxiety has made me detached from my friends and wanting to do social events...Now, i have lost most of my friends through my own actions of anger or antisocial behavior....In just a couple years i have lost the perfect life and lost my mind with it...
When does it stop?
Old 08-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
carolyn
Hmm, horse penis and lemongrass?

First off, I completely relate. I've had panic attacks my whole life and have had full-fledged panic disorder (where the fear of an attack impacts your life) since age 18. It was no fun being in college where my friends would go out partying and I'd be in the corner or walking around the block convinced I was dying.

For me, decreasing the stress depends on what kind of stress it is.

If it's "normal person" stress (i.e. things are tough at work, or I'm fighting with hubby, etc), I cut down on my social calendar and schedule in more workouts at the gym and more bubble baths at home. I'm an introvert at heart, so I "recharge" by being alone and reading a good book or watching a movie.

If my stress is "panic" stress (i.e. tons of panic attacks in a short period, worrying about that, not sleeping due to panic), then my coping mechanisms are a little different.

I write down everything about the panic attack while it's happening -- what my symptoms are, what time of day it is, what's going through my mind (I'm having a heart attack! I'm dying! What if the ambulance can't make it in time!). That way, the next time I'm having an attack, I can page back through my old records and see that I had the exact same scary thoughts 100 times before and I never have had that heart attack and my lungs never have randomly stopped working. That *usually* makes the panic attack a little less severe.

Also, even if you don't have health insurance for a therapist, do some reading about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy online. There are a few books about it on Amazon for $20 or so also. I would really recommend learning about it -- CBT changed my life.

*hug*

10mg: May 2002 - August 2007 for panic disorder.
20mg: August 2007 - August 2008; doubled dose after hitting poop-out.
Started Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in August 2007. Recommended!
Tried to taper too fast in July 2008 and went back to 20mg.
Started to taper on August 2, 2008.
Dropped by 8% to 10% every three weeks.
Switched to liquid at 9.2mg on March 6, 2009.
PAXIL FREE: June 27, 2010
carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
tampahitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn View Post
First off, I completely relate. I've had panic attacks my whole life and have had full-fledged panic disorder (where the fear of an attack impacts your life) since age 18. It was no fun being in college where my friends would go out partying and I'd be in the corner or walking around the block convinced I was dying.

For me, decreasing the stress depends on what kind of stress it is.

If it's "normal person" stress (i.e. things are tough at work, or I'm fighting with hubby, etc), I cut down on my social calendar and schedule in more workouts at the gym and more bubble baths at home. I'm an introvert at heart, so I "recharge" by being alone and reading a good book or watching a movie.

If my stress is "panic" stress (i.e. tons of panic attacks in a short period, worrying about that, not sleeping due to panic), then my coping mechanisms are a little different.

I write down everything about the panic attack while it's happening -- what my symptoms are, what time of day it is, what's going through my mind (I'm having a heart attack! I'm dying! What if the ambulance can't make it in time!). That way, the next time I'm having an attack, I can page back through my old records and see that I had the exact same scary thoughts 100 times before and I never have had that heart attack and my lungs never have randomly stopped working. That *usually* makes the panic attack a little less severe.

Also, even if you don't have health insurance for a therapist, do some reading about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy online. There are a few books about it on Amazon for $20 or so also. I would really recommend learning about it -- CBT changed my life.

*hug*
Wow, carolyn, thank you...
I never thought to write this down...
That could help tremendously... I will definately be looking up CBT.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampahitman View Post
Yea, i cant seem to escape what causes my anxiety, can i ask, does this feeling ever leave?
Do you ever just rid yourself of anxiety?
I never used to be like this, i was happy and never got stressed out, i didnt even have a headache until i was 19. I have never suffered from stress...
Maybe it's being introduced to a world where i have to make it on my own has changed my mind....I have never had to speak for myself or pay for anything, i just partied and had a lot of girlfriends, Cruises, road trips, the most fun a young guy can have, then the drinking got to me.
I started having anxiety, i stopped getting a free ride, so i have to support myself, my anxiety has made me detached from my friends and wanting to do social events...Now, i have lost most of my friends through my own actions of anger or antisocial behavior....In just a couple years i have lost the perfect life and lost my mind with it...
When does it stop?
What you're experiencing is called "Life." The fun is over and now you have to grow up and be responsible. If you've never had to do that before, I suppose it would be stressful.

Does it stop? No, not really. There will always be bills to pay, a job to keep, all sorts of day to day things that you must deal with. But again, this is what the majority of the world does every day. You just need to learn how to deal with it now.

But, from the sounds of it, the first thing you need to address is your drinking. And I'd advise finding the nearest AA, which is free, to help you with this.

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Old 08-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
tampahitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrawford67 View Post
The drugs theselves can also effect your immune system as they deplete nutrients:

http://www.alive.com/3761a1a2.php?su...read_cramb=181

What are the things in your life that are causing you stress? Those are the things you need to identify first. Then, you need to either eliminate those things, or find ways of dealing with them.

Others have found great success in the books by Claire Weeks and the Feeling Good Handbook by Dr. David Burns.

Would taking vitamins help??
Old 08-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #11
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

It couldn't hurt. But, it's futile if you continue drinking, taking these drugs, and don't do find ways of dealing with your stress.

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Old 08-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
tampahitman

Quote:
What you're experiencing is called "Life." The fun is over and now you have to grow up and be responsible. If you've never had to do that before, I suppose it would be stressful.

But, from the sounds of it, the first thing you need to address is your drinking. And I'd advise finding the nearest AA, which is free, to help you with this.
Well i have more of a past than that, just not listing everything...
AA is just too christiany for me i guess, i went there.
I can stop drinking anytime, its not a necessity.
But, will quitting drinking help my stress levels?
Or my immune system?
I just want to do whatever it takes to get rid of anxiety and constant thoughts of my own demise.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #13
tampahitman

Quote:
It couldn't hurt. But, it's futile if you continue drinking, taking these drugs, and don't do find ways of dealing with your stress.
So is paxil a good idea?
Or should i just taper off of the xanax alone??
Old 08-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #14
rdjanis

The drinking doesn't help, thats for sure. Drinking is a way to avoid dealing with life circumstances for some people, I'm thinking this is perhaps what you are doing... I could be wrong, if so, I apologize.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #15
tampahitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjanis View Post
The drinking doesn't help, thats for sure. Drinking is a way to avoid dealing with life circumstances for some people, I'm thinking this is perhaps what you are doing... I could be wrong, if so, I apologize.
No, i drink to have fun...
Wow, that sounded pathetic..
Old 08-03-2008, 12:05 PM   #16
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

How much do you drink?

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Old 08-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #17
tampahitman

Quote:
How much do you drink?
Like on weekends or whenever one of my close friends want to party.
Or if we go to the bar, or clubs...
I just binge drink, i get like black out drunk everytime i drink...
Old 08-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #18
rdjanis

Quote:
No, i drink to have fun...
Wow, that sounded pathetic..

I just binge drink, i get like black out drunk everytime i drink...
Many people drink, go out, have fun. If you drink to the point of black out each time you drink, that cannot be much fun? Do you think maybe it is to help ease your anxiety? Think hard on the answer to that one, you don't need to answer here, or defend yourself. I'm just giving offering something to think on.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #19
tampahitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjanis View Post
Many people drink, go out, have fun. If you drink to the point of black out each time you drink, that cannot be much fun? Do you think maybe it is to help ease your anxiety? Think hard on the answer to that one, you don't need to answer here, or defend yourself. I'm just giving offering something to think on.
I really dont know....
I wish i could answer better...
Old 08-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #20
Peggy

Quote:
This website was recommended here at Paxil Progress. Maybe it will help you. I thought it was quite good. It doesn't cost anything to listen to the tapes etc. You just had to download them.

www.controllinganxiety.com
10 mg 03-01-07
7.5mg 03-15-07
5 mg 03-29-07
4.0 mg (liquid) 04-19-07 (2ML)
3.5mg 05-17-07 (1.75ML)
3.0 mg 06-07-07 (1.5ML)
2.5mg 06-29-07 (1.25ML)
2.0mg 07-19-07 (1.0ML)
1.5mg 08-09-07 (0.75ML)
0.8mg 08-30-07 (0.4ML)
0.4mg 09-20-07 (0.2ML)
0.0 mg 10-19-07 I'm off Paxil
Multiple vitamin, Vitamin C, B Complex,B12, Calcium,
Fish Oil (Omega 3), Magnesium, + RX meds(BP+Cholesterol)
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #21
tampahitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
This website was recommended here at Paxil Progress. Maybe it will help you. I thought it was quite good. It doesn't cost anything to listen to the tapes etc. You just had to download them.

www.controllinganxiety.com
Hey peggy. thanx a lot..
This really helps...
Old 08-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #22
Scott

Quote:
check out the anxiety link in my signature

What has happened to it all?
Crazy, some are saying
Where is the life that I recognize?
Gone away

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

surviving an ssri reaction
alternative anxiety treatments
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #23
tampahitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
check out the anxiety link in my signature
Thanx dude.