our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 08-12-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
since95

Doctors Appointment - utterly disgusted

Today I went to see my MD for a new compounding prescription. My last taper to 14mg has been very tough and I have decided to slow down the process. I had planned on having my doc write a prescription for 1mg decreases every 12 weeks, allowing for ample time to stabilize (previous prescription was for 6 weeks). I even brought my father along. That's right, I'm 29 years old and I brought my dad. The reason I took him along was that I have a very close relationship with him and I have been sharing my w/d journey all along with him. Not only that, he also was on Paxil for many years (7 or 8 years) and was able to successfully taper off (luckily, he only went as high as 20mg and not the 30 I took for over 4 years). I also didn't want my doctor to bully me around or refuse the prescription.

So in comes my doctor. I explain to him that my w/d has been extremely bad the past 6 weeks. He right away suggests that it is time to switch from Paxil to a newer SSRI. I tell him that ain't going to happen. He shakes his head and suggests that I then should look at taking two different SSRIs as the same time. More drugs are all I need! I tell him know. He starts to get the picture that I want to stick to the slow taper program. I tell him that I am looking for a new prescription that is for 12 weeks / 1mg drop. He looks at me like I am an idiot. "You know that means you will only be at 10mg within a year," he replies. If that’s what it takes, so be it. He is very reluctant but knows that I am not going to budge. He writes the script.

I then bring up the pins and needles that I have been receiving in my limbs. He says that it is because of my anxiety. When I hyperventilate, I am getting too much oxygen in my blood and not getting enough carbon monoxide out. This is effected the ph of my blood, hence my nervous system reacts with the pins and needles sensations. I tell him first that my anxiety has been fine. I have been practicing breathing techniques the past 6 months and it is fine. He still argues that it is from anxiety. I try and drop the subject as I know understand there is no changing the thought process of my doc. He believes in the whole chemical imbalance theory and he is sticking with it. No point arguing, so I get up to leave.

Before he opens the door to exit, he turns to my dad and me and says, "Dan, you may just be one of those people that have to stay on Paxil the remainder of your life. It is like insulin for diabetics. Many people take SSRIs for their whole life. Plus, because of the length that you have been on Paxil, you may never be able to get off it."

Thanks for the encouraging words doc! Did you just say that people many people take SSRIs for their whole life? I have been on Paxil for 14 years, almost the length that it has been on the market. Give me a break.

After leaving the doctors office, my dad and I both came to the conclusion that I need to find a new doctor to deal with. However, I know that it is going to be hard to find a doctor that will actually listen to my story and support my cause. I have an appointment with my Psychologist tomorrow and I will see if she can give me some direction.

And the journey continues!

-On Paxil for 15-1/2 years. Completed 2-1/2 year taper from 40mgs Paxil - 0. Med free August 24, 2009!
since95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
snostorm

Re: Doctors Appointment - utterly disgusted

Wow you have a right to be disgusted. Time to find a new Physician. I would look for a good Psychiatrist who really knows their medications and is willing to work with you to go SSRI free. I dont believe in the whole maybe you need to be on SSRI's for your whole life crap. They make these drugs and suddenly people have to be on them for ever? Bull ****!

Good luck! This site is great for support. You are not alone.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by since95 View Post
After leaving the doctors office, my dad and I both came to the conclusion that I need to find a new doctor to deal with. However, I know that it is going to be hard to find a doctor that will actually listen to my story and support my cause.
As long as he is still writing the prescriptions for what you want and need, I wouldn't switch. Finding a doc who understands withdrawal is rare. Work with your psychologist instead...and go to the GP when you need a script and ignore him!
And remember....down the line you can visit and make him eat his words!

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #4
snostorm

Scotty is right. Just one more physician who will hopefully learn about this process.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:33 AM   #5
since95

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
As long as he is still writing the prescriptions for what you want and need, I wouldn't switch. Finding a doc who understands withdrawal is rare. Work with your psychologist instead...and go to the GP when you need a script and ignore him!
The only problem I have Laurie is I know he won't write me a script for .5mg for when I hit 10mgs. He said once I get to 10mgs, I might as well stop, as 9mg of Paxil won't effect me. But I guess I can worry about that once I get to 10mg (hopefully by 2019).

-On Paxil for 15-1/2 years. Completed 2-1/2 year taper from 40mgs Paxil - 0. Med free August 24, 2009!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:42 AM   #6
Scott

Quote:
Before he opens the door to exit, he turns to my dad and me and says, "Dan, you may just be one of those people that have to stay on Paxil the remainder of your life. It is like insulin for diabetics. Many people take SSRIs for their whole life. Plus, because of the length that you have been on Paxil, you may never be able to get off it."
i've learned over time not to let this response bother me any more it's so common.. who am i kidding, it's frustrating as hell... you'd be surprised how many times i've seen people face doctors like this and it's sad you have to come to the point of doing it on your own. But honestly when you're dealing with this, you don't need the validation of a doctor who doesn't understand what you're going through.

you can always send him to http://breggin.com/

of course he may not go at all because that would be admitting he's wrong

What has happened to it all?
Crazy, some are saying
Where is the life that I recognize?
Gone away

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

surviving an ssri reaction
alternative anxiety treatments
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:42 AM   #7
palm

When I started tapering and told my psychiatrist how slowly I wanted to do it, he said I would never get off the meds. My sm--rt a--s response was "well, according to my spreadsheet (thank you Laurie C), I will be off on such and such date."

Anyway, his attitude was that it just wasn't done that way. I held my ground and I think he has come to respect the way I do things when he saw I wasn't going to change my ways.

As long as your doctor cooperates with how you want to do things, I agree with Laurie about not switching. But I definitely understand your frustrations.

By the way, we should start a thread of all the doctors who have made the stupid insulin analogy. My psychiatrist never did or at least, I don't remember him saying it.

Palm
palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:23 AM   #8
nicemom

It has been my opinion all through this that the only thing I need my doc for is to write scripts that I need, including tests. I don't care if he believes me. I keep doc visits short and sweet. I agree that they will come to respect what you are doing when you stop trying to convince them. And you have to make it seem like its their idea. Its all in how you phase it. Docs don't like it when you might know more than they do. Just make sure you add in those phases l like thank you for being so helpful/understanding, etc.
From 15mg-0 May/June 06 (before finding PP)
Protracted w/d from c/t.

First 10 mths up and down but tolerable.
Akathesia hit at 11 months. Many months of terrible mental and physical torture.
3/09 started Prozac but too stimulating. Currently on 15mg Lexapro and feeling so much better.

Not all who waunder are lost.
nicemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:16 AM   #9
nickels

how frustrating for you...I just don't understand why he wouldn't continue writing the scripts for the small drops? If that is how you feel comfortable, he should understand that. Have you thought about getting the liquid paxil? This way you can do the drops yourself?

on a positive note...I think its great that you have your dad's support...he sounds like a great guy!

2000 - 20mgs Paxil for GAD & Panic Attacks
2001 - 30mgs increased to 40mgs
2006 - back down to 20mgs - poop out
2/2007 - C/T off 20mgs - went back on at 10mgs
7/2007 - stabilized then started my taper off of 10mgs
8/2007 - down to 5mgs then found PP and began 10% taper
10/15/2008 - 0!
2/2009 - started CBT to finally work on anxiety
nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #10
Katesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
This is my thinking as well. It seems like that he is willing to do what you ask but that he doesn't believe that it is necessary. If you stick to your guns about the lower doses, he may well work with you. In fact, if you stick with him, he might just learn something.

started Paxil Oct. 2003 for PIH
Paxil free since 19 Jul 2005

". . .the cruelest lies are often told without a word. . .the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." -- Ben Folds
Katesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
slappyintheface
"doesn't use the big stamp"

You could always tell him that you want to stay at 10 mg from now on and then cut pills until you are done. My doctor refused to prescribe me the liquid because I was getting my tapering information from a website (hmmm... wonder which one - lol) and I wouldn't follow the drug reps tapering schedule. When I got down to 10 mg I called the office and told them that I wanted to start taking 10 mg. I am pretty sure that I didn't even mention that I was chopping them up for tapering. They called in a prescription for the 10 mg pills for one year - as far as they are concerned I am still on 10 mg of Paxil a day even though I have nearly been off for a whole year. Some of those pieces got pretty small towards the end but it can be done.

"Keep lighting candles, eventually nobody will be in the dark" me

"Time does not come in pill form" me
slappyintheface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
since95

I just got back from my psychologist appointment today. She gave me the same advice that many of you have given in this thread. Keep uing the doctor for the scripts. I don't need his validation. I have my wife, family, friends and PP for that. It may get tricky when I need to get below 10mg but I will worry about that when the time comes.

Nickels, they don't have liquid paxil available in Canada. I wish they did because it costs me $24 everytime I pick up a new script.

Scotia, thanks for the advice but that sounds like too much work. The compounding prescription is so nice becuase I can just pop it once a day knowing that it is the exact measurement.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #13
carolyn
Hmm, horse penis and lemongrass?

Quote:
Scotia, thanks for the advice but that sounds like too much work.
I'm dividing up 20mg pills with a pill cutter now and it's not actually that bad.

I bought a 7-day pill keeper from the drugstore and cut my pills for the week every Sunday afternoon. It takes maybe 5 minutes that once a week; then during the week I just take that day's pill parts.

10mg: May 2002 - August 2007 for panic disorder.
20mg: August 2007 - August 2008; doubled dose after hitting poop-out.
Started Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in August 2007. Recommended!
Tried to taper too fast in July 2008 and went back to 20mg.
Started to taper on August 2, 2008.
Dropped by 8% to 10% every three weeks.
Switched to liquid at 9.2mg on March 6, 2009.
PAXIL FREE: June 27, 2010
carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
since95

Carolyn, after being on this drug for 14 years, I plan to taper .5mgs from 10mg down. I don't know how accurate I can be with a pill cutter for such a small amount.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:33 PM   #15
Samalabear

All I can do is give support, Dan. Nothing to add. Just chuckled a bit again at the stupidity of docs -- that insulin analogy gets me every time.
Switched Paxil CR 2004
CR 2005 recalled
Switch generic Paroxotine
2003 start poop-out
April 21, 2006 CT
Off Paxil since April 21, 2006
ADVICE: NEVER CT

Am I better? I got through the worst of worst in three years. Still living with the damage, financial, creative and otherwise, that Paxil left me with.
Samalabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:43 PM   #16
Paxilalmostkilledme

I got my doctor to give me 40mgs that I cut down myself. the script cost the same for 10mgs as it does for 40.

As far as being on Paxil the rest of your life - I really doubt you signed up for that when you started!!!
3 months of major w/d.
supplements: b-complex, mags, fish oil, 5htp, vit c
"Your Mileage WILL Vary" should be stamped across every drug dispensed.

Your doc shouldn't poo-poo your reaction. You live inside your body. You know what's happening in there.

Paxilalmostkilledme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #17
Johnnny off Paxil

Quote:
Today I went to see my MD for a new compounding prescription. My last taper to 14mg has been very tough and I have decided to slow down the process. I had planned on having my doc write a prescription for 1mg decreases every 12 weeks, allowing for ample time to stabilize (previous prescription was for 6 weeks). I even brought my father along. That's right, I'm 29 years old and I brought my dad. The reason I took him along was that I have a very close relationship with him and I have been sharing my w/d journey all along with him. Not only that, he also was on Paxil for many years (7 or 8 years) and was able to successfully taper off (luckily, he only went as high as 20mg and not the 30 I took for over 4 years). I also didn't want my doctor to bully me around or refuse the prescription.

So in comes my doctor. I explain to him that my w/d has been extremely bad the past 6 weeks. He right away suggests that it is time to switch from Paxil to a newer SSRI. I tell him that ain't going to happen. He shakes his head and suggests that I then should look at taking two different SSRIs as the same time. More drugs are all I need! I tell him know. He starts to get the picture that I want to stick to the slow taper program. I tell him that I am looking for a new prescription that is for 12 weeks / 1mg drop. He looks at me like I am an idiot. "You know that means you will only be at 10mg within a year," he replies. If that’s what it takes, so be it. He is very reluctant but knows that I am not going to budge. He writes the script.

I then bring up the pins and needles that I have been receiving in my limbs. He says that it is because of my anxiety. When I hyperventilate, I am getting too much oxygen in my blood and not getting enough carbon monoxide out. This is effected the ph of my blood, hence my nervous system reacts with the pins and needles sensations. I tell him first that my anxiety has been fine. I have been practicing breathing techniques the past 6 months and it is fine. He still argues that it is from anxiety. I try and drop the subject as I know understand there is no changing the thought process of my doc. He believes in the whole chemical imbalance theory and he is sticking with it. No point arguing, so I get up to leave.

Thanks for the encouraging words doc! Did you just say that people many people take SSRIs for their whole life? I have been on Paxil for 14 years, almost the length that it has been on the market. Give me a break.

After leaving the doctors office, my dad and I both came to the conclusion that I need to find a new doctor to deal with. However, I know that it is going to be hard to find a doctor that will actually listen to my story and support my cause. I have an appointment with my Psychologist tomorrow and I will see if she can give me some direction.

And the journey continues!

I think your doctor show a serious lack of imagination especially for him to spew out this famous one liner

"Dan, you may just be one of those people that have to stay on Paxil the remainder of your life. It is like insulin for diabetics. Many people take SSRIs for their whole life. Plus, because of the length that you have been on Paxil, you may never be able to get off it.

That my friend is right out og the GSK brochure, I think your comeback line on this one is, eh Doc..which GSK conference was that , that you picked up this one.....or was that on the little booklet they gave you?

As folks are saying, use this doctor as your "utility" nothing more...you know the facts, just stick to your guns.

Regards, Johnny
Johnnny off Paxil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #18
Katesmom

Quote:
Carolyn, after being on this drug for 14 years, I plan to taper .5mgs from 10mg down. I don't know how accurate I can be with a pill cutter for such a small amount.
You would be better off with a metal nail file and a jeweler's scale. Some on here have done that with some success.

started Paxil Oct. 2003 for PIH
Paxil free since 19 Jul 2005

". . .the cruelest lies are often told without a word. . .the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." -- Ben Folds
Katesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:02 PM   #19
texgirl
Regina Benzodictius

Next time your doc trots out the insulin theory (believe me, dozens if not hundreds of us have heard it), you might respond: "But insulin is given to regulate blood sugar levels, which can be tested. What test would you suggest I take to check the levels of my 'brain chemicals'?" He won't know what to say, because no such test exists.

Face. Accept. Float. Let Time Pass. — Dr. Claire Weekes

We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same. — Carlos Castañeda
texgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:47 AM   #20
LarryJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katesmom View Post
You would be better off with a metal nail file and a jeweler's scale. Some on here have done that with some success.
Yes Kim...that is exactly what I did and it worked great. I was able to taper all the way down to 0.05 mg!

Sure...it is some extra work in having to make the measurements yourself, but as long as one is comfortable using the scale (and of course not all folks are) you also have precise control over the rate of your taper as well.
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:48 AM   #21
LarryJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by texgirl View Post
Next time your doc trots out the insulin theory (believe me, dozens if not hundreds of us have heard it), you might respond: "But insulin is given to regulate blood sugar levels, which can be tested. What test would you suggest I take to check the levels of my 'brain chemicals'?" He won't know what to say, because no such test exists.

Oh! Good one tex!
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:55 AM   #22
slappyintheface
"doesn't use the big stamp"

Quote:
You could also add that insulin is given to a diabetic because the body doesn't produce enough insulin. Therefore, the body is insufficient in insulin. My body has never produced Paxil and therefore does not need it to function. There is no such thing as an antidepressant deficiency.

"Keep lighting candles, eventually nobody will be in the dark" me

"Time does not come in pill form" me
slappyintheface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #23
texgirl
Regina Benzodictius

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
Oh! Good one tex!
Well, I can't take credit for it; I stole it from Laurie (Scotty).

Face. Accept. Float. Let Time Pass. — Dr. Claire Weekes

We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same. — Carlos Castañeda
texgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #24
eileen

Dan, I'm dropping .5mg every thirty days since I was at 9mg. I'm also on since '95 but slowly getting to the end of it and you will also. Good Luck!
Eileen
I will survive!
eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #25
since95

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen View Post
Dan, I'm dropping .5mg every thirty days since I was at 9mg. I'm also on since '95 but slowly getting to the end of it and you will also. Good Luck!
Eileen
Thanks for the post Eileen. I needed that today. Expereincing horrible dizziness today. Think I'll take a nap.