our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 11-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
lex2500

High Does of Paxil

I'm new here and I have seen a lot of advice on tapering and the withdrawal stories I've read have me a little terrified of going through withdrawal.

One thing I am really concern about is my dosage. I take 80 mg of Paxil a day, and while going through the posts here I have only noticed 1 person at 60mg, and most of everyone else at 20 or lower.

Is anyone else taking 80 or more? I am worried that at such a high dosage I'm in for a really rough ride.
lex2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
eileen

Re: High Does of Paxil

Welcome to Paxil Progress Lex. Please don't be afraid as you've made the first step in being Paxil Free, it just might take you a little longer.
I'm wondering why your doctor put you on such a high dose and if it's because you were having what we call poop out symptoms.
Weaning the way we do in here, makes it doable. Good Luck!
Eileen
I will survive!
eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:45 AM   #3
Bern

The highest dose of Paxil that I was put on was 50mg. I thought that 60mg was the maximum amount that a doctor could put their patient on.

But with psychiatry these days....there are no boundaries.

As far as withdrawal goes........withdrawal doesn't happen to everyone.

I have been taking Anafranil since 2005.

Alcohol free since 1/1/08.......Last drink was 12/31/07
Bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Sixty mgs of Paxil is the highest dose recommemded by GSK, the manufacturer of the drug. It infuriates me when we see people put on these high doses. We have had one or two folks pass through here on 80 mgs, but it's very rare.

You won't be in for anything worse than anyone else. Just taper slowly and you'll be fine. In these high doses, you may be able to get away with a 5 mg drop the first couple of drops, after that, we recommend 10% every 3-6 weeks. You can adjust accordingly, but the point of a slow taper is to minimize w/d symptoms. That's not to say you'll feel nothing, but what you may feel should be mild and short lived and not inteferre with your quality of life. This is the most important thing.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
Katesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrawford67 View Post
Sixty mgs of Paxil is the highest dose recommemded by GSK, the manufacturer of the drug. It infuriates me when we see people put on these high doses. We have had one or two folks pass through here on 80 mgs, but it's very rare.

You won't be in for anything worse than anyone else. Just taper slowly and you'll be fine. In these high doses, you may be able to get away with a 5 mg drop the first couple of drops, after that, we recommend 10% every 3-6 weeks. You can adjust accordingly, but the point of a slow taper is to minimize w/d symptoms. That's not to say you'll feel nothing, but what you may feel should be mild and short lived and not inteferre with your quality of life. This is the most important thing.
The advice is the same no matter the dose. But, yes, there is a reason that you aren't seeing anyone on a dose that high--you are on a toxic dose.

started Paxil Oct. 2003 for PIH
Paxil free since 19 Jul 2005

". . .the cruelest lies are often told without a word. . .the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." -- Ben Folds
Katesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
lex2500

Re: High Doses of Paxil

Thank you all for your advice about tapering and I really wish I could, but I may be pregnant (it's too early to tell yet), and my doctor has me weaning of paxil at a really fast rate, just in case. I'm at 80 today, tomorrow it will be 60, after 3-5 days I'm to drop to 40, and 3-5 after that down to 20 and then if I am ready to cut it all the way down to 0. I am also on a really fast program to cut out my Trazodone in about 9 days. All for a possible pregnancy. I'll know for sure in a month if I am pregnant, if not, my husband and I will have a chance to concieve with out the paxil and trazodone in my system.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #7
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

There's no way I would even begin a taper like that, from that high of a dose, without knowing FOR SURE.

You're asking for a world of hurt with that kind of tapering schedule. Even if you are pregnant, you're still taking the drug now, so it would make no difference.

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Old 11-25-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
gnavillus

I am one of those that is on 60mgs. I am new to this site also, just 3 weeks. Do the best that you can, but, please stay in touch with the good folks here on this site. After 10 years on paxil and my first attempt to quit being less than one month ago, these people here were the only ones that truly knew what I was going through. Being a guy, I can't fathom combining pregnancy with paxil, but I can only imagine it would compound it's effects. Stay in touch even if it's just to read others experiences, that got me through my first encounter with the withdrawals.

1998----20mg Paxil
2002----40mg Paxil
2004----60mg Paxil
Oct. 2008 tried stopping Paxil cold turkey on my own. 2 weeks later, went back on due to the unexpected and unbeleivable withdrawals.
Nov. 2008-60mg Paxil and found this site. And working with my doctor.
11/29/2008-----cut back to 40mgs
12/6/08----Still at the 40mgs, had some slight w/d's
on days 4 and 5.
12/19/08---at 40mgs, doing OK some sleep problems, going to stay at 40mgs for a couple more months.
gnavillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
lex2500

From what I have already read and from what my doctor has told me, I know that this will be extrordinarily tough, one of the toughest things I will have to face. And not only will it just be the withdrawal, but also coping with continuing withdrawal and OCD while pregnant

I am Obsessive Complusive, diagnosed in 2001, it's been out of control since Mar 2008.

April 2008 - 20 mg paxil, 50 mg trazodone
May 2008 - 30 mg paxil
June 2008 - 40 mg paxil, 100 mg trazodone
July 2008 - 60 mg paxil
Sept. 2008 - 80 mg paxil, 150 mg trazadone

Nov 2008 - starting a crash course in withdrawl

Dec 2008 - still no meds and living in hell

Old 11-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
njmalibu

I was on 60mg for a period of time, I think under a year (everything is a blur). I got down to 40mg, and was there for a good part of 4 years. No withdrawal that I was aware. 40-20 wasnt bad either. Maybe some mood swings, but I was in good shape, so I think that helped. 20-5 was a brain explosion.
So all in all, just because you're on a high dose, doesnt mean you'll have more severe withdrawal. everyone is different. Just taper down slow, so it will be more managable if you do have symptoms
Early 2006- 25CR to 12.5 CR toughed out for 2 weeks of flu like symptoms, didnt want to loose job,back to 25CR
April 2008- 25cr-7.5(20-5 paraxotine) manic to HELL.
Present- 20mg Paraxotine still healing (poopout)?

12/10/08 18MG
01/14/09 16.5MG
lost insurance, back to pill paraxotine.
2/21/08 15MG
4/20/09, 10MG
5/14/09, 9MG
njmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #11
Katesmom

If you are already pregnant, then frankly it is too late to start weaning that quickly now. The greatest danger to the fetus is in the first nine weeks. You would be FAR better off to not put your body is such an extreme situation and wean more slowly. Have your doctor treat you as a high risk pregnancy (no matter how you taper) and get ultrasounds as often as possible.

I took paxil while pregnant, was in fact prescribed paxil at nine weeks pregnant for pregnancy-induced hypertension. That was the bad old days. My baby is fine. The risks are low, and frankly, the physical stress and extreme endocrine disruption that occurs with abrupt paxil discontinuation will likely be more dangerous than a slow taper.

I'm sure that your doctor will vehemently disagree with me. Sadly, I have likely done far more research on the subject than your doc.

started Paxil Oct. 2003 for PIH
Paxil free since 19 Jul 2005

". . .the cruelest lies are often told without a word. . .the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." -- Ben Folds
Katesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #12
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katesmom View Post
If you are already pregnant, then frankly it is too late to start weaning that quickly now. The greatest danger to the fetus is in the first nine weeks. You would be FAR better off to not put your body is such an extreme situation and wean more slowly. Have your doctor treat you as a high risk pregnancy (no matter how you taper) and get ultrasounds as often as possible.

I'm sure that your doctor will vehemently disagree with me. Sadly, I have likely done far more research on the subject than your doc.
This sums it up. Weaning as your doctored has ordered is extremely poor advice on his part....but then I'll assume that this is the same doc who jumped you up to 80mg in such a short time. Yes, the maximum dose is 60mg for OCD.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #13
lex2500

OMG...I had no idea, I really didn't. We have know our family doctor for years and years, my husband's family has been seeing him for at least 20 years. He has always treated us so well.

When I was first diagnosed with OCD, he was so good, all he gave me was a low level tranq, I can't remember which one, just to calm me and it worked really well. During the weeks that I was taking it, I learned how to manage, and evetually accept my OCD - all wih his guidance and direction. The goal was and still is, to have me living with out any medication.

Last March, our family expirenced a huge tragedy, and every thing really fell apart for me, I lost control and all my obsessions went nuts taking my compulsive behaviours with it. He precribed the paxil, increasing as needed, and since he has always been a doctor who opts first for methods that do not require meds, I believed that he had my best interests at heart.

I am Obsessive Complusive, diagnosed in 2001, it's been out of control since Mar 2008.

April 2008 - 20 mg paxil, 50 mg trazodone
May 2008 - 30 mg paxil
June 2008 - 40 mg paxil, 100 mg trazodone
July 2008 - 60 mg paxil
Sept. 2008 - 80 mg paxil, 150 mg trazadone

Nov 2008 - starting a crash course in withdrawl

Dec 2008 - still no meds and living in hell

Old 11-25-2008, 06:30 PM   #14
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

I'm sure he's not a horrible human being, Lex. And, no one is saying that, but when the maximum dose recommended by the manufacturer is 60 mgs and withdrawal, or discontinuation syndrome (as GSK calls it) is well known public knowledge, it's just hard to understand why ANY doctor would put a person on such a high dose and then basically cold turkey them. It's just poor judgement and cluelessness on his part.

Believe me, we hear all the time about doctors denying withdrawal and handing out these types of tapering schedules, but we're also seeing more and more doctors who won't prescribe Paxil because of the side effects and difficulty coming off of the drug. The majority of the people here are here because they either cold turkeyed, or tapered too quickly. And, a lot of those people did that based on their doctor's suggestion.

It simply depends on the doctor's willingness to educate him or herself and it appears your doctor hasn't bothered to do that. What methods did he try before putting you on Paxil and increasing your dose so much?

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Old 11-25-2008, 06:59 PM   #15
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrawford67 View Post
I'm sure he's not a horrible human being, Lex.
Absolutely not a horrible human being, but one who has failed to research for himself...which is extremely common. Sadly, these drugs have been "sold" as not addictive, safe, and "good for a lifetime of use", when they are not. Slowly over the last 5 years the facts have come to light, but sadly misinformed doctors aren't seeing the new information...because the pharmaceutical industry is trying their best to keep it quiet. There is new information out today adding Prozac to the list of risky drugs in pregnancy. You can read that here in post 77:

http://www.paxilprogress.org/forums/...t=15964&page=4

I will give your doc credit for recognizing the risk in pregnancy, but responding to that risk, once again, shows his lack of knowledge. As Kim said..the risk is early in pregnancy for fetal heart abnormalities..once you are past that initial period, stopping rapidly makes no sense. If there is going to be damage, which is a very low percentage, then it's to late. At that point the goal should switch to being off Paxil prior to delivery to prevent the baby from going through withdrawal.

Rapidly weaning at this point is not good for you, or your baby. Find out if your pregnant,that is the first thing. If you are, then you make the goal weaning across the whole pregnancy with the goal of being paxil free by delivery. If you're not pregnant, then you wean even slower and hold off getting pregnant until you are successfully off paxil.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:21 PM   #16
iwowi

Hello Lex.

Please listen to the advices of the moderators and taper very slowly. I weaned off 40 mg of Paxil in 7 month (which is considered very slow by doctors' standards) and I still went trough hell. I know that I could have avoided much suffering and recovered much faster if I tapered slower than I did.

I am so glad that you found this forum before going ahead with your doctor taper schedule. Please do not listen to him. He probably is a good doctor. He is just is misinformed about antidepressants. Unfortunately many doctors are and it is because of the misleading pharmaceutical information.

I wish you good luck on the road of Paxil tapering.

1992 1994 Zoloft
1994 1999 Prozac
1999 2007 Paxil 40 mg
April 2008 - January 2009 - severe insomnia - Rozerem
February 2009 - Prozac 10mg
PROZAC TAPER:
2009:
03/01-9mg 04/01-8mg 05/01-7mg 08/01-6.5mg 09/01-6mg 10/01-5.5mg 11/01-5mg
2010:
01/01-4.5mg 02/01-4mg 03/01-3.5mg 04/01-3mg 05/01-2.5mg 06/01-2mg 07/01-1.5mg 08/01-1mg 09/01-0.5mg 10/01-0mg
iwowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:12 AM   #17
max the axe jd

grrrrr i hate when doctors start prescribing anti depressants for a family tradgedy..when my dibilitating depression first kicked in ( i know i da spells frequently before i was 25, but didnt know what where they where then),
i was at the happiest point in my life, no sadness, no tradgedy, panic attacks appeared "out of the blue" and my energy/concentration/mood went to crap..
first time i took paxil it took along time to work (i believe my metabolisim is alil diffrent from the "average person"..i hypothesis now, that the paxil is stored in the lipids of my body before a stable amount occurs in the bloodstream", as i have quit paxil 2 times in the past and never had much withdrawal symptoms til about a month of cold turkey..
anyhow everyone id diffrent, and maybe u are lucky and u havent become physically dependent on it, and will have no withdrawals...but is u have become dependant "somthing your body decides, not you" and u have an average metabolism, cutting down from 80 to 0 in 9 days, will put you in a state, that will be horrific"..
no knock on your doctor, but he just dosent know..
i guess this post is alil to late for you as i see the original is in november..
But for anyone in the future trying an agressive cut, be sure to have paxil around, so that if it gets to bad u can pop 1 and get some relief, then change your plan altogether..you want to be off the stuff, but you arent the boss of this your body is..
max the axe jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:37 AM   #18
Jeana

I asked a similar question. I have been at 75mg. of Paxil CR for about a month now. Before that is was 50mg. I have OCD too and the meds only made it bearable, it never really went away. What helped me the most is exposure. My therapist had me wear gloves for an entire weekend and only wash my hands when necessary (like when showering, preparing food, and after bathroom trips). I do admit that I didn't exactly follow her instructions, and the big helper was being exposed to things at work and not being able to perform a ritual. She also told me to try and delay doing the rituals. At first it was hard but after time the severity of the urge to count, wash my hands, or repeat things decreased, so did the obsessive thoughts. Good Luck

Anafranil- Aprl 96 - June 96
Paxil 40mg.- June 96 - July 97
Luvox - July 97
Zoloft - Aug 97
Paxil 20mg.- Aug 97 - 2004
Paxil CR 37.5 mg. -2004 -2006?
Paxil CR 50mg. 2006? - Dec. 2008
Paxil CR 75 Mg. Dec 08 - present
Jeana is offline   Reply With Quote