our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 06-20-2002, 01:02 AM   #1
Anonymous

Paxil has changed my life

I now realize that just because society programs your mind into thinking certain things, it is possible to use directed thinking to abolish this brainwashing.

Sure,

Society tells us that we have to fit in. We have feel comfortable around people all the time. So, we take PAXIL to fix all of our problems.

How about this.............**** society! Tell yourself you are going to be happy no matter what steps in your way!

Society tells us that Anxiety and Depression is a disease. Wrong! It is a choice! We can decide how we are going to feel in certain situations. It's just easier to think with our primal minds and say........OH, poor me, I suffer from a disease called depression. Society has told us that it is OK to think this way.

We all just need to use simple mind tricks to avoid being thrown into the black hole of anxiety and never coming back.

Thank you PAXIL..........For showing me the light!
Old 06-20-2002, 01:21 PM   #2
Princess Artemis

...Tell that to someone suffering from severe depression and you might get a suicide on your hands.

If someone needs a helping hand out of the pit, then they should be allowed that.

I know when I was suffering from major clinical depression, your words would have just made me feel all that much worse. I know how depressed minds think, since I've been there pretty deep. All what you would have said would have told me I was making myself miserable, it's all my fault, and because I can't get myself out of it, I'm a weak pathetic brainwashed fool. Just heap on the guilt. That's depressed thinking.

And NO, no one chooses to be in that much misery; maybe they could have stopped the path down early on, but once you're in, you're in. People in that deep need help out, and it needs to be given to them VERY CAREFULLY, in any way that they will accept. I don't know if depression is a disease or not...sometimes I think it is for some people.

And besides, this is the Paxil GOOD EXPERIENCES forum. Did you learn all that from taking Paxil? Maybe then it's a good experience, but you sure make it sound like you're just trying to "bring the light" to all these 'miserable cretins' who don't know any better...doesn't sound like the relaying of a good experience.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:23 PM   #3
Anonymous

Princess,

You make some very,very good points. People in the pit do deserve a hand out. But, the way some psyco-analysts go about helping only hurts the situation. Depressed people do not know how to think any other way. If they learn to think with their higher mind, they will learn to not make the decision to be depressed. Right now it is the only way they know how to cope. As soon as an anxious/depressed/maniac episode starts in, they don't know how to think with the higher mind. They immediately rely on the primal mind as a safety net.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:34 PM   #4
Princess Artemis

I'm talking about someone who's already in deep. When something just STARTS, then a choice about thinking can be made. But if someone is already down about as far as someone can go, telling them their thinking wrong doesn't help...although I hear *helping* them think right by cognitive therapy helps some people.

It doesn't help everyone tho'.

Altho' I'll go with you that psycho-analysts (altho' I've never been to one...psychologists and psychiatrist yeah, but no genuine psycho-analysts) probably don't always know the right way to help the situation :)
Old 06-21-2002, 09:25 AM   #5
Anonymous

It isn't always as easy as just sucking it up. That is definitely part of it, and practice in changing your way of thinking is important in obtaining a lifelong cure. But, like Princess, I know that many people need a helping hand to get out of the pit and they should not be demeaned as some weak-minded fool who just wants to feel like crap. But, I agree that thinking that you can just take a pill and be cured is not going to lead to an actual lifelong cure.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:16 AM   #6
desertwitch

For so long is our society, depressed people were made to feel they were weaklings and had no will power. I can see by some of these comments that that way of thinking is still very prevalent. Depression (for some people) is a disease. Our body doesn't produce the chemicals it needs in order for us to be "normal" If I could 'think' myself out of depression, I would surely have done it before now. Paxil has been a miracle for me...it literally changed my life. Now it doesn't seem to be working as good as it did and I'm scared to go off it and on to something else because of the withdrawals.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:58 AM   #7
JulieG

I agree that it does seem like a number of people have that view. Not all of us do though, and we are or have been in the same boat as you about Paxil. A lot of highly intelligent and successful people have suffered from depression and were at first ashamed to admit it. We need to abolish that type of thinking.
JulieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 11:32 AM   #8
Anonymous

AMEN!
Old 06-26-2002, 11:00 PM   #9
Ariella

then again...

And to complicate things, you can modify your own serotonin levels with thought, sex, laughter and spirituality. Paxil got me out of a pit in a sense that it created momentum for me. It got me moving in a direction but I had to pick up the slack immediately once I could see the road ahead, it wasn't going to take me there all by itself. I had to be an active participant in my own life although Paxil did help 'snap' me out of whatever life denial I had become lost in.

I won't say it was the only thing that did it, but I can't deny that it played a useful role. Ultimately there's good in anything, some just impossibly difficult to see. It took me some time to get past my animosity to see the good Paxil did for me, however slight and short lived hehe. Not that getting past animosity is the solution for everyone to just love this uhm...concoction but you know what I mean. It's subjective and depends heavily on the amount of time we personally equate to a good or bad experience. For some, feeling good for a week makes it good while for others if it consistently delivers for years, then bravo.
10mg September 2000 / 5mg October 2000 / FREE November 2000
Intense Withdrawal symptoms well into 2001
Withdrawal symptoms freedom by 2002
Ariella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 03:53 AM   #10
Paxil Junkie

i have alot to say on this post, first for Mick, who which paxil has got him thinking like this and believing that he doesn't actually need paxil... is that what he's saying? Try getting off of it and you'll need it just as fast as you can tell yourself to be happy!

And about what Princess art said, your totally right, they shouldn't be told that they should be told the total opposite, that they have the power to do it, that they dont need chemicals or pills to be able to get out of the slump, your right about the the behavor modifiing therapy does help some people, might not help more, but theres no harm in trying it before behavor modifing drugs that do damage the body is there?

The problem is that so many doctors just hand out these pills like candy to children adolecense and the elderly alike, instead of getting involved and trying to really help them. My doctor's visit maybe takes 5 minutes, he listens to me breath, listens to my symptoms, and looks in his little medical book for a list of drugs he can give me.

Maybe its because they make more money by giving the drugs out, maybe its because the pharmacutical companies lavish them with gifts, maybe its because he really believes the FDA statements that were made by people being payed by the same pharmacuetical company's who's products they praise... who knows.

"April 20th, National Save the Trees day."
"Its 4:19...got a minute?"
"Life sucks then you die, so spend your time getting high."
"Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time."
Paxil Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 12:34 AM   #11
Princess Artemis

Yeah, it's an absolute subtle dance one has to perform with people who are deeply depressed, because they aren't thinking rationally...gotta be real careful. It helps a lot if you've been there yourself, so you kinda have "inside information" that not a lot of psychs necessarily have.

Having been there I feel I can speak with a bit of authority on the subject. Cognitive therapy didn't do a whit of good for me, but it does really help some people...and yeah, it's probably worth a shot before starting up on drugs. Didn't work out that way for me, but I can't complain too much, I got out of it what I needed to.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:50 AM   #12
Anonymous

I agree with Paxiljunkie about Docs handing meds out like candy. I never suffered from depression before and went through a temporary depression thing. I saw a therapist who helped me and told me that he felt I didn't need meds. Because progress was slow I was listening to people telling me that meds were the best thing that happened to them and that it would be the best thing for me. I also got sucked into all the advertising for these meds and went above my therapist and called my Doc and asked for Paxil. All I did was leave him a message requesting an Rx and the next day the pharmacy called me and said my Rx was ready. I couldn't believe it. No evaluation, no calling me to ask me why I wanted the meds, nothing. It was the biggest mistake I ever made because I want my life back and I am suffering from horrible Paxil withdrawal. These meds are not for everyone and they shouldn't be advertised the way they are. The warnings in the adds should mention what actually happens when an individual chooses to get off this crap. I'm pissed off. (and I do take responsibility too, I should have listened to my therapist).
For the person who initiated this topic that he sees the light, that's great but have you thought ahead? Have you made the decision to stay on meds for the rest of your life? If not, if someday you would like to try out life on your own without meds you are in for a BIG surprise.

Jennifer
Old 07-27-2002, 12:56 PM   #13
Princess Artemis

This is the GOOD EXPERIENCES forum, and I already know there are many people who would appreciate it if the forum was kept bad experience free.

And that's not because they are stupid or unenlightened or anything, it's because it worked for them and they want a safe place to say so without getting lynched by people who've had a rough time with Paxil.

It's not like anyone who visits this forum is totally unaware of the other forums, they can get all the horror stories they want from there, should they choose to do so.
Old 07-27-2002, 02:22 PM   #14
Anonymous

I had a great experience with Paxil. Took care of all my pain and misery so I visit this side of the tracks as well, Princess.
Paxil changed my friends life for the better and she will remain on it as long as she lives I imagine.

I just got into the conversation with Paxil Junkie about how most people do not know what they are getting into. I also think that Paxil is great for certain people (as I mentioned) if they plan on staying on it forever or maybe switching to something else. I just wanted to point out that for some of us who don't have any history of depression shouldn't run out and get Paxil over a few snags they may experience in life and they may want to seek therapy for a while and try to work through issues without the help of drugs. Some people agree that medication should be a last resort.
I am new to this forum and I was looking around at all messages and I was under the impression that everyone is sort of putting their 2 cents in. I apologize if you maybe felt some negativity from my post.
By the way I clicked on your website and I enjoyed looking at your work.
Reminded me of my mother in a way, she is an accomplished artist and a Psychologist who suffers from depression and SAD (she's on Zoloft). She once told me that some of the most artistic and brilliant people in the world are/were metally ill ie. Van Gogh....and then Klimt had a nasty bout towards the end of his life. Anyway, again I really enjoyed your website - It's such a nice change from foofy Kinkade and the likes.
Jennifer
Old 07-29-2002, 05:41 PM   #15
Ariella

username help

Jennifer, what is your user name? I'll try to fix your login problems. Send it to general@paxilprogress.org please?
10mg September 2000 / 5mg October 2000 / FREE November 2000
Intense Withdrawal symptoms well into 2001
Withdrawal symptoms freedom by 2002
Ariella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 06:11 AM   #16
Anonymous

re:

I'm gonna try to phrase this in a way not to denigrate the drug or anyone on it. I wasn't put on it for depression, and never had depression until getting off----but i have to agree that it is a usefull tool for those overwhelmed by life and its problems. I am not militantly anti-paxil----but i just hope that ppl on it learn different coping skills while taking it so as not to have to remain on it toolong. I agree it helps alot of ppl! I just believe they should be totally informed about it before its prescribed. There are many days i wish i didn't have my feelings back so i could get through the day unscathed! BUT i did learn all new ways to deal with life and its complexities while on and getting off.So maybe it wasn't a bad thing----i just chalk it up to a learning experience and go on.
Hope this made some sence to those still on,and also hope no-one takes offence as that is not my intention.
ali
Old 08-24-2002, 05:20 PM   #17
Anonymous

Good experience

I was on paxil for 2 years and it was the best I ever felt in my life. I was only on 10mg but it helped me tremendously. I didn't have the "robot" feeling that I have read about here though. I miss the way I felt when I was on paxil but I don't like taking drugs and since we don't really know what the effects of long term use could be.....I'll stay off of it for now. Although....life would be so much more bearable!