our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 05-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
elixirmonkii

Syntethic ACTH Test for suspected Addisons/AI

So, went to the doctor as I have been trying to determine the cause of my issues. He mentioned Addison's disease in response to my symptoms. When I look at the disease symptoms, and then look at my own, it doesnt really seem a perfect fit at all, so I am wondering why this, because there are some other conditions which seem to fit the bill better. Anyways, my main concern is he wants to get with an endocrinologist and do a synthetic ACTH stimulation test to determine if there is adrenal insufficiency or Addison's. I am concerned about getting artificial ACTH, and whether it will screw up my own natural production, because let's face it, things cant exactly be smooth in there in the first place after the drugs I took, and the current symptoms I have. So my main question is if anyone knows anything about the synthetic ACTH stimulation, and whether it has any adverse affects, or if it just wears off and things return to normal. It seems odd though, since my main issue is in my chest, but I did notice that my pulse goes sky high, and my blood pressure drops upon standing up. Well, any comments regarding anything pertaining to anything I have discussed here is welcome. Thanks....

First 2 years:

Extreme Derealization/DP
Extreme agitation & akathisia
Unable to understand people
Severe negative thoughts.
Constant restlessness inside, anxiety & agitation, and anhedonia.

Now: 85% stable
elixirmonkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
carolyn
Hmm, horse penis and lemongrass?

Re: Syntethic ACTH Test for suspected Addisons/AI

One of my good friends has Addison's after her adrenal glands were removed (due to Cushing's disease)...I'll ask her for more info on artificial ACTH stimulation the next time I see her online. She might not have had it done personally -- there really wasn't a doubt that she has adrenal insufficiency after having the glands removed -- but I know she has lots of friends in that community and I'll bet she knows something about it.

10mg: May 2002 - August 2007 for panic disorder.
20mg: August 2007 - August 2008; doubled dose after hitting poop-out.
Started Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in August 2007. Recommended!
Tried to taper too fast in July 2008 and went back to 20mg.
Started to taper on August 2, 2008.
Dropped by 8% to 10% every three weeks.
Switched to liquid at 9.2mg on March 6, 2009.
PAXIL FREE: June 27, 2010
carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:06 AM   #4
elixirmonkii

Quote:
Originally Posted by altostrata View Post
If your doctor is looking at your adrenals as the cause of withdrawal-induced anxiety, insomnia, akathisia, mind racing, etc., he or she is looking at the wrong end of your body.

Withdrawal syndrome causes hyper-reactivity in the glutamatergic system. The adrenals take orders from the glutamatergic system, but they are not the source of the problem, they just do what they're told: produce fight-or-flight hormones.

The pulse and blood pressure issues sound very, very familiar -- withdrawal-induced dysautonomia.
This is kind of how I feel. I definitely have improved in the last 10 months. If I have Addison's or adrenal insufficiency, I would imagine things would be getting worse. The only thing is that initially it was mostly mental issues, and now at this point, I am mostly clear mentally, and experiencing physical issues, namely the feeling I cant breathe all day, the pressure on chest, etc. Maybe this is what they call anxiety, but it doesnt come in waves so much as it is constant. So maybe, its just another phase of this? Now it is manifesting physically. I am concerned because I dont know the long term effects of getting shot with the artificial ACTH if it will suppress my ACTH in the pituitary and then I WILL have Addisons or Cushings after that if that happens. I dont know though. I have to decide before next week sometime. I sure dont want to make things worse than they are....

First 2 years:

Extreme Derealization/DP
Extreme agitation & akathisia
Unable to understand people
Severe negative thoughts.
Constant restlessness inside, anxiety & agitation, and anhedonia.

Now: 85% stable
elixirmonkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
scotty
Administrator

Quote:

(Folks on this board who speculate about adrenal insufficiency or Addison's while experiencing pseudo-anxiety are definitely going in the wrong direction.)
I totally agree.
Adrenal insufficiency is about fluid/salt levels...not anxiety.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
Songbird
Queen of the appendage vocabulary

Quote:
If you have withdrawal syndrome, stimulating ACTH is the last thing you need. It will increase glutamatergic activity.
Interesting post, Alto! If you (Elixir) are improving I wouldn't start messing around with ACTH, you could be playing with fire. Improvement is a good sign that your body is figuring out how to rebalance itself.

A lot of people on PP seem to focus in on cortisol but my main problem last year was masses and masses of adrenaline, I had no idea the body could produce so much of it. I think this points to what Alto is saying - the orders are coming from higher up.
Jan 07-Feb 08 20mg > 5mg Apr 4.5mg 5mg Jun 10mg Jul 20mg Oct Loxamine Dec 17.5mg 15mg
Jan 12.5mg > Dec 6.3mg
2010 Aug 6.15mg Nov 6 mg
2011 Feb 5.9mg > Dec 5.3mg
2012 19 Feb 5.2mg 14 Oct 5.1mg 6 Dec 5mg
2013 25 Jan 4.9mg 4 Jul 4.8mg 29 Aug 4.7mg 8 Oct 4.6mg 24 Nov 4.5mg 15 Dec 4.4mg
2014 18 Jan 4.3mg 31 Mar 4.2mg 12 May 4.1mg 7 Jun 4.0mg 26 Jul 3.9mg 5 Sep 3.8mg 4 Oct 3.7mg
Songbird is offline   Reply With Quote