our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 07-14-2009, 02:58 AM   #1
everythingisnotokay

Paxil induced bipolar disorder, and long term withdrawal symptoms - need help!

Long story short:

I've been off Paxil for 2 and a half months now, after being on it for 3 and a half years. I was then put on Lamictal and Seroquel which ended me up in the ER after 3 weeks so I got off them as well.

About a month before getting off I was diagnosed as bipolar NOS with cyclothymia and rapid cycling due to antidepressants (Paxil). I was not bipolar before going on these drugs, and I only seem to hit hypomania when I do drugs, and mania if I take a lot of drugs (pot for example, even Lamitcal which is used to treat typical bipolar disorder caused me to cycle). Now that I'm off Paxil and mood stabilizers I'm just depressed, the hypomania and mania seems to have gone away so far.

Besides getting off Paxil I've decided to quit all drugs including pot, and I've been drug free for 15 days now. Also started attending Narcotics Anonymous meetings to help with coping coming off all the drugs, the cravings, etc. Honestly, out of every drug I've ever taken or done Paxil was the most addicting, and had the most side effects, and so far the worse withdrawals.

I thought I was over the withdrawals, but now I'm having long term issues and need help and suggestions, and hope.

I'm posting because I'm unable to sleep, or regulate my sleep patterns since coming off Paxil. I only seem to be able to fall asleep around 4am every night, and usually sleep in until like 2pm. I've tried everything to get to bed earlier, and when I just wake up earlier it just makes me more tired but not able to go to bed sooner. I'm unemployed, and fear I wont be able to hold down a job if I do find one.

Worse yet, I've lost my sex drive completely, and when I try to have sex or even self-serve I have really bad premature ejaculation every time. When I was on Paxil I use to have delayed orgasm to about 10-20 minutes, and sometimes never even reach it. Now I'm getting off in 1-2 minutes, it's simply embarrassing, not pleasurable, and discouraging. I've tried everything from doing keggel exercises, stop and go techniques, supplements, etc. and nothing seems to be working.

To top everything off, I'm getting these random crying spells. I'll be watching a movie, or listening to music, and just start tearing up for no apparent reason, and feel this overwhelming urge to cry. At other times, I'm getting these mini-anxiety / panic attacks, my heart rate will increase rapidly, and my mind will flutter, and I feel like I'm going insane for a second or two then snap back to reality, and have to try and calm myself down.

I had some of these symptoms like 2 months ago when I first got off Paxil, and they seemed to improve and go away, but for some reason they've all come back at once, accompanied by depression. I feel like I'm going crazy, but I'm certainly much better than when I was on the drugs and rapid cycling, and experiencing bipolar NOS / bipolar type 3 symptoms.

Any tips or suggestions for how to cope with these things? Will they go away? I've read it takes 1-2 years for some of this stuff to improve, is this generally true?

Lastly, does anyone know more about bipolar type 3 / cyclothymia / rapid cycling and Paxil? Is bipolar from antidepressants temporary when only on the drugs? Does getting off Paxil mean I might return to normal or will I always be bipolar now? Since mood stabilizers make me worse, does this mean I'm not bipolar?
everythingisnotokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:21 AM   #2
scotty
Administrator

Re: Paxil induced bipolar disorder, and long term withdrawal symptoms - need help!

Welcome to paxilprogress!

Everything you describe are classic paxil side effects(drinking, pot, mood cycling,sexual problems) and withdrawal symptoms(crying,insomnia, heart flutters).

As for the bipolar diagnosis...if one only has those symptoms on the drug, then it's the drug, not the patient.

How did you wean off the paxil?

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:50 AM   #3
nice bloke

Re: Paxil induced bipolar disorder, and long term withdrawal symptoms - need help!

sounds all very familiar

i would say most of it is paxil withdrawal. i have all the same symptoms and i just recently was seeing some inprovement but messed things up by taking an illicit substance recently. if you stay sober, try to look after yourself and keep telling yourself that this is not a permanent situation you should start to see improvements. it can be a long and hard road, but most will attest that you will get there in the end, particularly if you dont do anything to upset the applecart like i did.

regards

september 2008 - valium 10 mg sometimes more
august 2009 - december - remeron, now tapered off

september 2009 - present - occasional olanzapine 5mg at night
tapering valium, now 3mg
nice bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:57 AM   #4
everythingisnotokay

The first time I tried to get off Paxil was to try and switch Effexor, I was getting horrible headaches and they thought targeting norepinephrine might help. Three different doctors told me it was safe to just stop taking the Paxil and to just start taking the Effexor instead. This ended me up in the ER with serotonin syndrome and acute Paxil withdrawal. I nearly had a heart attack (I'm only 22), and they had to sedate me for two days with ativan.

I went back on the Paxil after this and was then slowly weened off by a psychopharmacologist I started seeing after I fired my other doctors.

He weened me off Paxil by 2.5mg every 3-5 days using a pill cutter. I was on 15MG at that point, and it took about 4 weeks to ween off. Meanwhile, he weened me onto Lamictal which was a horrible idea. The Lamictal caused me to rapid cycle worse than the Paxil, and pretty much felt like taking speed. I was so amped up on it I had to start taking Seroquel to put me to sleep at night. He convinced me they would start working properly if I stayed on them, and I gave them about 3 and a half weeks until I started getting horrible chest pains.

I had to be admitted to the ER again and had an abnormal EKG, they put me on ativan and morphine and had to observe me over night as they feared I might have a heart attack. They told me to ween off both the mood stabilizers at this point. I also stopped seeing the psychopharmacologist after this as well, and stopped taking all psychiatric medication.

Meanwhile, I had a prescription for medical marijuana to help with chronic pain, and migraines from a car accident. I was getting rebound headaches from pain killers and muscle relaxers and since I'm in California a doctor recommended trying pot as it can help with pain management. Unfortunately, at the time we didn't know I was rapid cycling and the marijuana was also causing rapid cycling, and hypomania as it boosts serotonin levels temporarily. So I'm off this and all other drugs now.

The only thing I take now are supplements: a multi, omega-3's (helps with depression and natural anti-inflammatory), DMG (antioxidant to help with mood stabilization), sam-e (to help with my depression), fiber pills (for my IBS), and a supplement for my joints.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:27 AM   #5
Songbird
Queen of the appendage vocabulary

Welcome to PP! Wow, that is quite a story! As Scotty said, Paxil and Paxil w/d can do all this. Your wean off Paxil seems pretty fast which can cause bad w/d effects. Why were you prescribed Paxil initially?
Jan 07-Feb 08 20mg > 5mg Apr 4.5mg 5mg Jun 10mg Jul 20mg Oct Loxamine Dec 17.5mg 15mg
Jan 12.5mg > Dec 6.3mg
2010 Aug 6.15mg Nov 6 mg
2011 Feb 5.9mg > Dec 5.3mg
2012 19 Feb 5.2mg 14 Oct 5.1mg 6 Dec 5mg
2013 25 Jan 4.9mg 4 Jul 4.8mg 29 Aug 4.7mg 8 Oct 4.6mg 24 Nov 4.5mg 15 Dec 4.4mg
2014 18 Jan 4.3mg 31 Mar 4.2mg 12 May 4.1mg 7 Jun 4.0mg 26 Jul 3.9mg 5 Sep 3.8mg 4 Oct 3.7mg
Songbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:44 AM   #6
everythingisnotokay

I was originally put on antidepressants for what was just pure and simple depression (no hypomania, or bipolar symptoms of any kind), GAD, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
slappyintheface
"doesn't use the big stamp"

Your wean was way too fast. Can you go back on a dose, get stable, and wean slowly from there? That would be your best option. There is not enough willpower in the world to just wait out a fast taper or cold-turkey withdrawal - it just isn't possible. Your brain and body need time to heal and the only way to allow that is by doing a slow taper.

"Keep lighting candles, eventually nobody will be in the dark" me

"Time does not come in pill form" me
slappyintheface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingisnotokay View Post
I went back on the Paxil after this and was then slowly weened off by a psychopharmacologist I started seeing after I fired my other doctors.

He weened me off Paxil by 2.5mg every 3-5 days using a pill cutter.
First and foremost, that is NOT a slow wean. That is an extremely rapid wean, which is where your problems started(Oh, and the switch to effexor..the stuff that nightmares are made of)

After reading your full history....you are the victim of what drugs you've taken and the improper weaning of what you were on.

You are NOT bipolar....you are in withdrawal.

MLK
Old 07-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
everythingisnotokay

I clearly could have weened slower, but I'm not going to go back on and ween off again. I'm past the worst of the withdrawals, I'd be insane to go back on.

The bipolar nos diagnosis is why I got off Paxil, it was causing rapid cycling and cyclothymia. Off drugs I don't seem to cycle, just depressed but because drugs can make me cycle is what suggests I may develop into bipolar type 2. I'm only 22 about to turn 23. Average onset is 22 and my symptoms are so far only drug induced and I don't have all of the symptoms of full blown bipolar even on drugs.

All I can do is wait and see if I get worse, meanwhile I'm clearly suffering withdrawals unrelated to bipolar disorder.

I think. :-p
Old 07-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
Songbird
Queen of the appendage vocabulary

The w/d effects do improve with time, but it can take quite a while. The brain will work to heal and rebalance itself, but it is a slow process. Paxil w/d is well known for causing sleep problems. Some people have found melatonin helps.
Jan 07-Feb 08 20mg > 5mg Apr 4.5mg 5mg Jun 10mg Jul 20mg Oct Loxamine Dec 17.5mg 15mg
Jan 12.5mg > Dec 6.3mg
2010 Aug 6.15mg Nov 6 mg
2011 Feb 5.9mg > Dec 5.3mg
2012 19 Feb 5.2mg 14 Oct 5.1mg 6 Dec 5mg
2013 25 Jan 4.9mg 4 Jul 4.8mg 29 Aug 4.7mg 8 Oct 4.6mg 24 Nov 4.5mg 15 Dec 4.4mg
2014 18 Jan 4.3mg 31 Mar 4.2mg 12 May 4.1mg 7 Jun 4.0mg 26 Jul 3.9mg 5 Sep 3.8mg 4 Oct 3.7mg
Songbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
I clearly could have weened slower, but I'm not going to go back on and ween off again. I'm past the worst of the withdrawals, I'd be insane to go back on.

The bipolar nos diagnosis is why I got off Paxil, it was causing rapid cycling and cyclothymia. Off drugs I don't seem to cycle, just depressed but because drugs can make me cycle is what suggests I may develop into bipolar type 2. I'm only 22 about to turn 23. Average onset is 22 and my symptoms are so far only drug induced and I don't have all of the symptoms of full blown bipolar even on drugs.

All I can do is wait and see if I get worse, meanwhile I'm clearly suffering withdrawals unrelated to bipolar disorder.

I think. :-p
You do know that the majority of paxil users were diagnosed with bipolar when they were taking paxil?? Amazingly the bipolar went away as the drug went away.
Don't become the diagnosis.....which is totally drug caused.

MLK
Old 07-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #12
Delynbetter

Amen, Scotty!
Quit cold-turkey 5/5/05 as demanded by doctor.
Found paxilprogress 5/17/05.
Began Paxil CR 12.5mg 5/17/05.
Weaned 4 1/2 months.
During taper - anx/panic/depression, manic episodes, agoraphobia, suicidal ideation, many other physical symptoms.
Paxil-free 10/2/05.
Delynbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
everythingisnotokay

Trust me, I don't want to be bipolar. I'm just repeating what I was diagnosed with and the explanation I was provided.

I'm hoping its just the Paxil / withdrawals.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #14
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Trust me, I don't want to be bipolar. I'm just repeating what I was diagnosed with and the explanation I was provided.

I'm hoping its just the Paxil / withdrawals.
I'll go out on a limb here.....it's the paxil! I've talked to hundreds of thousands of paxil users....I'd say that about 90% of them were given the diagnosis of bipolar....and then GSK was forced to change the side effects list.
It's much easier for a psychiatrist to give you a diagnosis, than to admit that they drug that they prescribed to you made your situation worse.

MLK
Old 07-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
slappyintheface
"doesn't use the big stamp"

I wasn't bipolar before Paxil. I was bipolar on Paxil. I am nearly two years off and my mood swings, manic episodes, and major depressive episodes have stopped hence I am not bipolar now. It WAS the Paxil !

"Keep lighting candles, eventually nobody will be in the dark" me

"Time does not come in pill form" me
slappyintheface is offline   Reply With Quote