our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Health Challenges
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health Challenges Anxiety, depression, OCD, headaches, weight and more.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 01-10-2003, 03:32 PM   #1
Anonymous

Can you have alcohol while on paxile?

I just started paxil and was wondering if you have to avoid alcohol while on it.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:02 PM   #2
safarigal

Let's just say that Paxil reduces your alcohol tolerance. In other words, it takes less beers to get drunk.

Paxil free since Nov 2002!

Forum Rules

Withdrawal FAQ
safarigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 12:47 PM   #3
Housh

my pharmacist told me that this medication like most is heavy on the liver so drinking (heavily) will place strain on it and could cause damage. I dunno, i could've heard wrong but there is a pretty big blue warning sticker on my container stating not to drink alcohol with medication.
Housh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 02:21 PM   #4
Anonymous

I agree with Housh. You really have to be careful with psychotropics and drinking. They can really tear your liver up.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:50 PM   #5
notorious

the occasional 6 pack w/the boys wont kill you, but you'll be dehydrated more quickly while on the meds......it depends how you body reacts in generalto the med
Old 01-04-2004, 01:35 PM   #6
dogonwheels

i've been doin it.
my label says that it can cause extreme fatigue. that was already a problem for me. i've been doin it for a couple years. mostly beer. anyone else? any probs?
Old 01-04-2004, 09:12 PM   #7
Ariella

Alcohol and anxiety/depression/Paxil are all terrible mixes. NEVER do it.

It's a bad idea because:
-liver takes a beating
-blood is full of enough Paxil excrement already
-alcohol is a depressant
-you lose control over your emotions
-your brain is fuzzy enough already thanks to Paxil
-how fuzzy must the brain get before it gives up automatic breathing control or that little heart beat thing? Trying to find out?
-alcohol light headedness will amplify repetitive thoughts
-alcohol makes it easier for you to do really regrettable things

Now granted, one glass of wine with a meal isn't a big deal. But it's like slicing a loaf of bread, go all the way or you're just hacking. The kitchen doesn't need hacking. Nokay? Nokay.
10mg September 2000 / 5mg October 2000 / FREE November 2000
Intense Withdrawal symptoms well into 2001
Withdrawal symptoms freedom by 2002
Ariella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 08:42 PM   #8
catherineh

yes, you can drink, though not as safely

I asked my drs about this one and their responeses were moderation. I have found over the years (7 on paxil) that I do get drunk easier and my hangovers are more severe. I have dramatically cut back on my drinking because of paxil, but find the occassional drink to be fine with it.
catherineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:15 PM   #9
Ariella

I have noticed that when I was depressed or anxious on Paxil and before/after, they were always worse the next day, even after one single drink.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:47 PM   #10
Dream

With my last job (where I worked of 9 years) I was educated on a bi-yearly basis about different medications that are out on the market, dipensing them to patients and chemical reactions, ect. The first thing that I was always told regarding psycotropics in that alcohol doesn't mix.

It's a good rule of thumb not to drink when using any type of medication, including antibiotics. The alcohol has a habit of messing with the effectiveness of the drug.

just my 2 cents,
Andi
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 02:43 PM   #11
lisak

Just thought I'd add my two cents to the mix. I actually joined this forum place because of this topic and I wanted to share my experience so others can prepare for it just in case.

I've been on PaxilCR for about 10 months and am at 75mg (ugh). It sucked at first but now I'm getting used to it. When I started, I was told not to drink too much -- not to not drink, but just not too much. I had a little less than usual and experienced horrible blackouts where I could not remember anything for a few hours at a time. I can normally (not on Paxil) hold my alcohol VERY well and so this was extremely unusual. While drunk and on Paxil I found myself winding up sleeping with random people and sleeping on benches in the middle of the city and waking up not having any clue as to how I got there. This is not who I am or how I usually act. I am extremely lucky that nothing happened to me and that I didn't get pregnant or any bad diseases. Point being -- I can ONLY drink around people I know and trust and I must put limits on how much alcohol I can have. Since alcohol has always been a problem for me (but never to the blacking out point), they are very supportive and when I've had enough (they can tell because I get VERY, VERY promiscuous) they get me away from it.

Anyway, I DO NOT SUGGEST alcohol while on Paxil. Even if you can usually drink everyone under the table, with this stuff you'll be screwed up after way less than normal and end up looking/feeling like an absolute idiot.

Contrary to a previous poster, I don't have bad hangovers with the Paxil. Being thirsty with a small headache is the worst it gets no matter how bad it is the night before. Oh, and I never get sick from the alcohol either (on Paxil).

- L.
lisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 02:12 AM   #12
Scott

Lisa, can I ask why you're on 75mg?

What has happened to it all?
Crazy, some are saying
Where is the life that I recognize?
Gone away

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

surviving an ssri reaction
alternative anxiety treatments
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 09:40 PM   #13
lisak

Scott27:
I'm on 75mg of PaxilCR because of high anxiety, ocd, and a small bit of depression (not really a big deal, but a bit easier to justify to the insurance people a reason to allow me to continue therapy and meds). The meds have helped tremendously with the anxiety and all of the ocd except lip picking (which is the one I hate the most). I do want to go down in mgs, but every now and then when I do get down to 50 the anxiety returns with a vengeance.
At 75 mgs, I have found that I am horribly apathetic to everything and have had trouble with my job (being late to work in the morning -- because I cannot for anything wake up), church (used to go faithfully every Sunday and now am bigtime slacking), and eating. I'm not myself but that's actually been quite enjoyable.
Why do you ask? I know it's a really high dose, but nobody seems to have many objections.
- Lisa
Old 01-25-2004, 10:02 PM   #14
Ariella

I object. Evidence has shown (read from books and media) that a high dose of Paxil is not necessarily more effective than a low dose unless the person has a huge body mass or have become intolerant. I'm guessing that if anxiety returns at 50mg, it's because of a withdrawal experience from having dropped from 75mg or you've been drowned enough to be intolerant and anxiety gets the opportunity to invite you to truly heal it. Anxiety IS a side effect of Paxil and IS a symptom of withdrawal. GSK's own documentation recommends not going higher than 60mg. You're the first example of 75mg I've heard of in many years.

I had 'high' anxiety with complete agoraphobia and a terror of eating. I starved, hallucinated and couldn't leave the apartment. I became impoverished, washed laundry in the tub with whatever soap I could find and ate baloney slices from a long roll. It only took 10mg of Paxil to turn that around long enough for me to seek counselling, research anxiety like crazy, create paxilprogress and more and more and more. I find it hard to believe that one person would need 75mg. I mean, once the Paxil is there to start suppressing the serotonergic reabsorption process, more Paxil cannot do more. It's like filling a glass of water. Once it's full, pouring more water doesn't change the fact that it's full.

I hope you don't find your sense of apathy too useful. I'm just worried. I mean...wow. I'd come over and carmex/aloe vera your lips and tie your hands down before I'd ever subject you to that dose of that stuff. Sure, it's convenient to get you to the office (and even then...) but you're a human being who needs to heal, not some machine one has to keep oiled regardless of life/health cost.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:54 AM   #15
lisak

Darcy:

Well, I guess I shouldn’t tell you then that I’m barely a penny over 100 lbs. Since the beginning I’ve had the worst side effects imaginable – starting with the stupid headache, yawn, chest palpitations, chest pain, sleepiness, uncontrollable waking up entire body shaking, numb toes, and hand and knee and feet shakes – and shaking all day with no appetite sure does a job on the weight issue. But, the anxiety went away and that was better than the side effects, so the question was why not keep going and stop only when the side effects become bigger than the original problem it was supposed to solve? We kept going, the side effects went away, and I opened up a lot and started actually talking and voicing my opinions to people and making friends. It was a whole new world for me – it’s one that I’ve never, ever experienced – allowing people to like me and liking them back for it. And I didn’t have to count everything. The only reason we kept going after that (I think it was the 32.5 mg) was for the stinking lip picking. I wish it were that easy – to tie my hands down – but unfortunately my teeth still work. I have about 5 working tubes of chapstick right now – vitamin E, beeswax, you name it, I’ve got it. The picking is just a major problem that hasn’t been solved with the Paxil. I get “stuck” every morning picking anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour until they’re bleeding and I get that good ol’ satisfied feeling. I’m in therapy once a week but still with no luck on the lip picking.

I hate the apathy for most things. I like it that I don't have to worry about everything and wonder what everyone is thinking of me and that they aren't thinking bad thoughts about me or can read my mind, but I don't like not caring too much about making it to work on time or that a bill is late -- because hey -- it's all good, right?? It would be great to have that nice, happy medium.

I see what you mean about refilling a full glass of water – but where is that magic number and is it the same for everyone? I agree that 75mg is a load to be on, but how can I get down to a normal dose after being on this much for a good length of time (well, a few months – it just seems like forever). Paxil CR only goes down in 12.5 mg increments, so I have a feeling after reading a bunch of withdrawal posts that it will probably be hell to get off (or at least decrease) and stay sane.

Thanks for the information – if you have any suggestions or thoughts, I’d love to hear them.

- Lisa
Old 01-26-2004, 07:39 AM   #16
Ariella

Well Lisa, I can relate. Paxil does seem to have a "blast off" effect where if we're all curled up in a ball stuck in cyclic thoughts, it will certainly distract long enough to get us to look out again. That is the one good thing it did for me. But after those few glorious weeks where I was reminded that life didn't have to end, the side effects and the original anxiety got all mixed up so that I could no longer use my new motivation to rescue myself to focus on the underlying problems.

It IS wonderful that you're opening up and expressing more to others. How good that must feel for you! I was expressive BEFORE Paxil and anxiety and whatever fearless will to talk I got while on Paxil, was reckless and invited more problems than gifts heh. It wasn't practical to tell the NEW neighbors about what Paxil does to sexual function nor to try to call all my ex girlfriends to tell them I forgive them and am now freeing myself from their memory. LOL!

Oh the drama...sweet delicious Paxil, makes a blockbuster movie out of anyone's life. If only we'd love life on its own DURING it's difficult moments. Of course, any difficulty is just a lack of knowledge. Problems solve themselves without effort once you know everything about them.

I can relate to getting 'stuck' doing something until a result occurs. My ex wife, when feeling duress of some kind, would often bite her fingernails down and then start gnawing on any pieces of skin her teeth could attach to until the bleeding and pain satisfied the unrest. She only did this when she felt down on herself or that life had cheated her or when she thought I was her problem. LOL! But anyway, when she figured out how to not focus on so many negative things, it stopped.

My 'stuck' thing was having anxious thoughts about being anxious. I could sit there for hours freaking out wondering how freaked out I could possibly get. Which of course, is one beautiful treadmill that will spin the years by so that you don't truly live them.

Is it the same with you? Will you bite your lip more often when you're thoughts are focused on something negative or judgmental? Do you do it less when drinking? Do you do it as much when you're concentrating at work or talking on the phone or eating? At some point, you have to stop it to eat right? I'm wondering if there is a different awareness/perception/mindset you get into when you're NOT doing it that you could build upon and invite more often? It sounds like with how focused you can be on what others are thinking (as did my ex wife), you are having a similar experience and if so, Paxil won't solve this. You will. I think you've noticed that already though since you're still gnawing on lips that would be better used kissing.

Although withdrawal can seem daunting, just because it was difficult for others doesn't mean it will all be tough for you. Sure, there will be some large blockages and boundaries but y'know, most of them, are personal. Withdrawal gets you to bang your head against your preconceived notions and beliefs alot more than your body, although the body will echo your personal head banging and will reflect the effort making it seem like it's all physical. In the withdrawal guide I wrote, I stress this: you're not only withdrawing from Paxil, but the beliefs and convictions that sponsored/invited you to take Paxil in the first place.

The magic number I've read about when it comes to a Paxil dose, is 20mg--unless there's a tolerance or large weight to dilute within.

If you do plan to withdraw, then just do it gradually. Figure out how many creative ways you can split the pills and just try to reduce it slowly. If 12.5mg lower is what's available, then go with it. Get the consent of your doctor if you can first of course so that you can be monitored. But make sure the medical world gets off its hurry-wagon and give you months to a year to do it, even if it gets rough in the middle. There's faith required in this sort of thing.

But if you stay at where you are, that's ok too. Because when it's time, and you have decided to create a new reality, you'll just do it without any proding from anyone. We're all powerful that way. We can create any reality for ourselves, the moment we decide to. Freedom, is in you.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:15 AM   #17
safarigal

Quote:
We can create any reality for ourselves
I wonder how many people really understand this quote?

Paxil free since Nov 2002!

Forum Rules

Withdrawal FAQ
safarigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:28 AM   #18
Ariella

It's an extremely deep truth, I know. It must be taken completely litterally and pondered on for a lifetime.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:02 AM   #19
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak
Why do you ask? I know it's a really high dose, but nobody seems to have many objections.
I really would advise you to get a second opinion on how you are being treated. I know you're looking to get rid of a particular symptom but as you described, it is coming at a large cost. That is a huge dose you really shouldn't be on.

What has happened to it all?
Crazy, some are saying
Where is the life that I recognize?
Gone away

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

surviving an ssri reaction
alternative anxiety treatments
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 02:45 PM   #20
catherineh

75mgs and alcohol

Wow the 75mg dose is the scariest thing I have heard of. It is no wonder the combination of alcohol and the paxil caused blackouts. On 20mgs of paxil with 4 drinks I would be extremely drunk. If I increased either I cannot imagine the consequences. I have been on paxil for so many years it is hard to remember before, but I do know that I could drink up to 7 drinks in an evening pre paxil and be hung over, but functional the next day. With 20mgs of paxil I had maybe 4 drinks total in my first 2 years on it because of the fear of mixing it, then when I began to drink socially, if I ever had more than 3 drinks a night I was unbelievably drunk and so sick the next day. I would not reccommend even doing that freqently, but I have noticed the dizziness, nausea, and shakiness and anxiety the day of and the day after to be twice as bad as before paxil or as it is without any alcohol.
catherineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 05:22 PM   #21
carolyn

Just my experience, I'm on 20mg of Paxil....I'm in my 20's (late) and have drinks here and there, on the weekends with friends. I don't have a very bad reaction while being on Paxil and having some drinks. Again, that's just my experience. Jsut makes me more sleepy the next day. I don't recommend drinking A LOT though. Everyone's tolerance level is different too.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:44 AM   #22
plow76

Drinking and Paxil

Hi all,

I, like Carolyn, am in my late 20's and on 20 mg. I've been on this dose about 6.5 years and have been drinking the whole time. I have found that my tolerance is MUCH lower than before. I lose control much faster and behave in odd and sometimes self defeating ways. I always feel depressed for days afterwards and always swear that I will never drink again while on Paxil. My patern has been to not drink for a few weeks at a time, and then I'l go out one night thinking I'll just have a drink or two, but it always turns into 6 or 7 and a plate full of regret in the morning. I'm currently trying to tapper off and look forward to the day where I can have a few drinks and not make an *** of myself. I would recomend that no one drink while taking ssri's, and if one feels that they must, do it around close friends who will tell you when to stop or at the very least, let you know how stupid you were the night before!
Old 02-21-2004, 04:00 AM   #23
Michelle75

Ohh gee one time while taking Paxil i went out and i had only three drinks when i started feeling like i was going to be really sick, so i stood up heading for the bathroom and next thing i know i felt like i was falling really really fast from a great height. Very weird experience. My friend told me i fell flat on my face and was out cold. All i remember is the falling sensation. Soo i wouldnt recommend alcohol with it
Old 02-22-2004, 01:34 AM   #24
Pat Shields
Ms. Pee Pee!!

I'm not much of a drinker, so I don't lose track of how alcohol affects me. So I noticed that the last drink I had two years ago when I started Paxil (one shot of B&B) had an unusually strong intoxicating effect with an unusually rapid onset. I haven't had a drink since. And my Paxil bottles also have the warning not to consume alcohol.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde
Pat Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 06:55 PM   #25
JaggedLittleMe

I think it depends on the person, because honestly, ever since being on Paxil (about 2 years) I still go out with my friends and drink and I haven't noticed any change at all. No low tolerance or anything, and no day after side effects. But everyone is different