our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 02-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
Jynee

Why do you want off Paxil?

So I have a question..I have been pondering this for a while after reading about what everyone here has been going through....

Why did you decide to get off Paxil (or any other meds)?

I have to first say that when I started it way back when, it helped, it truly did, and continued to help. The only side effects I have ever had while being on it was weight gain.

The reason I decided to get off of it, was not that it wasnt working anymore, but I just didnt want to be dependent on it anymore...

Now granted, I have always been an over-emotional person, with or without medications, and now in the last 4 months my life has had some sever family and personal ups and down, and throwing in trying to go c/t into the mix didnt help. I am back on Paxil and feeling better, but of course the c/t brought a lot of personal and emotional issues out that I now have to deal with (on top of major financial worries) so yeah I am still having a bit of depression, but the anxiety seems to be under control.

I do hope to someday be off the meds, I dont know how or when, but someday. I also dont know how or who I will be once i am off of them, and may discover that I do truly need them, I dont know.

Sorry to go off track there, but, yeah, I was just wondering why everyone else decided it was time to stop.

On Paxil for 6 years..

Tried unsuccessfully 2x's to reduce and get off within the last 2 years...(dr's messed me up)

Was forced to go almost "cold turkey" and was Paxil free for 5 weeks. (Mid-Dec 09 thru mid-Jan.) Had horrid w/d.

1/19/10 - back on at 15mg.
1/29/10 - back to 30mg.
2/2/10 - .5 mg Clonopin 2x a day
2/2/10 - 25 mg. Atenolol

2/22/10 - 40mg. Paxil
2/22/10 - 50mg. Atenolol
2/22/10 - .5mg Clonopin 1x a day

Jynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
melvoin

Re: Why do you want off Paxil?

I stopped taking Effexor because the side effects had ruined my life. There was really no point in continuing in my meager, exhausted, drug-addled existence, and I had made a couple of friends who convinced me I could get off the drug for good this time(after some previously unsuccessful attempts).

I would gladly, gladly continue taking the Effexor for the rest of my life if not for the debilitating side effects. Nothing is worth going through this withdrawal.
melvoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
paxsane

I seemed much more cold and not like myself on it. While I was incredibly more social, I also found to be much more desiring of drinking, and when drinking, drinking fast.

And that just created a train wreck. Whether it was mistakes I made drunk or the how crazy bi-polar I was the day after a night of drinking.

It's tough dealing with these issues without chemically assistance, but it can be much more rewarding and less risky.

July 09' Started 20mgs again: Starting Oct. 09' began week by week in a slow taper. Taper Finished Late Jan 10'. (Off Two and a half months!!!!)
paxsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
Johnnny off Paxil

Why did I get off Paxil????...lets see now...............because it almost killed me

I chose Life..over Death..at least I felt I had the choice..

I think that's a reasonable reason, right?

Regards, Johnny
Johnnny off Paxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
NicRic

The weight gain is a big issue for me; plus I noticed major sexual side effects. It also made me crave alcohol, much more so than normal, and I'd drink to oblivion, call people in the middle of the night, etc. Those aspects made me realize that I wanted off that train. In the meantime, my psychiatrist was recommending that I take a mood stabilizer, ... I could see the medical system was taking me down the big pharma route. Take a pill for this, oh and by the way, you need another for that.

I quit taking Paxil last Sunday after tapering for 2 weeks (20 mg since last May). I started having whoosh feelings on Wed, Thurs. Yesterday I felt fairly nauseated, and light-headed. I'm hoping to weather through it.

When I started Paxil, I was going through a major mixed-manic state, brought upon by working in very depressive conditions in the far north of Canada, reading too many dystoptic type novels. The Paxil helped. But I think medical intervention by offering a peaceful environment, complete with massages, counseling, yoga, walks, etc; I could have kicked it in 2-3 weeks.

Then again, I get aggravated at cancer treatment centers where the lobbies are all nice and fancy with fountains and sky lights; whereas, the treatment rooms are cold, bare cubbies. Why not have the fountains and brightness where the people need it. Dream on, eh.
NicRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
jule1

I knew if I stayed on Effexor I would die from it. From the cardiac side effects, potential diabetes, or other health effects I was having from it. It was destroying my health and my life.

36 months off Effexor January 2011 Supplements:
Tryptophan, Magnesium, Fish Oil, Calcium D, Stress B Complex, Ashwagandha,
tapering .5 mg Xanax taken at bedtime for close to 4 years
2/15/10-.4375mg
3/12/10-.375 mg
4/5/10-.3125 mg
4/23/10-.25 mg
5/21/10-.1875 mg
6/17/10-.125 mg
7/13/10-.0625mg
8/29/10-0
jule1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
babs
"dare to suck big!"

The main reason I decided to quit was the sleepiness ... all I wanted to do was sleep. I fell asleep at the wheel, at my desk, during meetings, watching TV, at the movies. I had also gained 50 pounds, but I had no idea that was connected to Paxil until I found this forum. And I felt it wasn't doing much for me any more since I still got depressed from time to time.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
2 failed attempts to quit
Tapered Jan-April 2005 (because I didn't know better!)
Paxil-free since May 1, 2005
babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
Pat Shields
Ms. Pee Pee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynee View Post
Why did you decide to get off Paxil (or any other meds)?. . . .I was just wondering why everyone else decided it was time to stop.
The never-ending weight gain did it for me. I could not tolerate one more excess ounce, but did not know what was causing it. At first I thought it was just middle-age spread, but then it took on a life of its own. I went to my doctor, a dietitian, enrolled in a medically supervised exercise program, walked 3 miles a day, changed my diet, and it got worse and worse. Finally I sat down and went through everything I was doing, eliminating culprits, and Paxil remained as the greatest possible cause. So I went on the Internet to investigate this, and that's how I found this Web site 6 years ago.
Pat Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
Jynee

Its amazing to me the different reasons that we all want off, but the one thing remains, we all just want to feel better! I hope that we can all get there, and NicRic, I do agree with you about the facilities that we go to, while I would never ever discount cancer since I feel that is one of the worst things out there, I do think that some mental health facilities could be a bit more warm and inviting!

On Paxil for 6 years..

Tried unsuccessfully 2x's to reduce and get off within the last 2 years...(dr's messed me up)

Was forced to go almost "cold turkey" and was Paxil free for 5 weeks. (Mid-Dec 09 thru mid-Jan.) Had horrid w/d.

1/19/10 - back on at 15mg.
1/29/10 - back to 30mg.
2/2/10 - .5 mg Clonopin 2x a day
2/2/10 - 25 mg. Atenolol

2/22/10 - 40mg. Paxil
2/22/10 - 50mg. Atenolol
2/22/10 - .5mg Clonopin 1x a day

Jynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
jenS

At 8-9 years of being on Paxil I came to the realization that everything else was starting to unravel. The problems that had arisen since being ON paxil was now greater than the original reason for being on the drug. That made no sense to me.

I couldn't throw a glass of water on a burning building anymore. It was time to tear down the burning building and rebuild one brick at a time.
Spring 2005: Switched to generic Paxil 20mg.
Summer 2005: Tapered to 10mg.
January 11, 2006: Tapered to 5mg.
Januray 26, 2006: Down to 2.5mg. (size 14)
February 4, 2006: PAXIL FREE (after 9 years)
February 2007: Lost all my Paxil weight (30 lbs.)

Kill fatigue with B Complex.
jenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
Norma

The more time that went by, the more problems paxil caused. I was very afraid of what the paxil would do to me if I stayed on it for ever. I wanted to be healthy and have a fully functioning brain.

Norma
Sept '09 through summer '11 slowly tapered to 9mg
Aug '11 Updosed to 14mg
Continue taper at 5% each month
As of June 2012 10mg
Major health crashes in 2012 and 2013
Continued to taper
July 2014 2mg
Norma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #12
Norma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenS View Post
I couldn't throw a glass of water on a burning building anymore. It was time to tear down the burning building and rebuild one brick at a time.
I can soooooo relate to this. And you know what? I think the new building will be far better than the first.

Norma
Sept '09 through summer '11 slowly tapered to 9mg
Aug '11 Updosed to 14mg
Continue taper at 5% each month
As of June 2012 10mg
Major health crashes in 2012 and 2013
Continued to taper
July 2014 2mg
Norma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #13
jenS

I am with you Norma on both posts!
Spring 2005: Switched to generic Paxil 20mg.
Summer 2005: Tapered to 10mg.
January 11, 2006: Tapered to 5mg.
Januray 26, 2006: Down to 2.5mg. (size 14)
February 4, 2006: PAXIL FREE (after 9 years)
February 2007: Lost all my Paxil weight (30 lbs.)

Kill fatigue with B Complex.
jenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #14
rain

After being on ADs for 20 years, I decided it was past time to find out how life would be without an antiD. I wanted to know if I would see things differently, if colors looked different, if I had more energy, if I interacted with people differently, etc.
rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #15
marebu

I started on lexapro because I lost the joy from the things that previously made me happy . I felt a bit worthless . I also had anaemia. At that stage I didn't know that low iron is particularly implicated in some cases of depression.

So I followed Doc's suggestion to go on the ssri, have some counselling and fix the anaemia.

I wish I had just fixed the low iron and had the counselling and NOT taken the lexapro but I didn't know about the side effects or how hard it can be to get off the ssri.
I gained weight - about a stone despite a very good fitness routine. Had difficulties in the bedroom department. I had very low blood pressure, low vitamin D.I had a crash and burn episode one day when I was late taking a dose of lex(went pale , sweaty , nausea, abdo pain). Then THE ZAPS started - twanging in the middle of my head down into my teeth, every 20 seconds or so.
That was it - the lex had to go!

I started getting my nutrition in order , found this site and followed the supplement suggestions ( lots of high epa, dha fish oil, magnesium, calcium, vit D supp) and and the tapering advice.

Thank the stars I found the correct advice before I followed the crazy weaning advice both the pharmacist and doctor gave me.
However my doc is happy for me to follow the advice here and will give me the scripts for the liquid . She will not however come out with it and say that the symptoms are caused by the lexapro. I'll take it up with her when I feel up to going on a crusade.

So thats why I stopped the ssri.

I still have work to do on contolling anxiety and I'm hoping I won't get depressed again . I feel very good in that department so fingers crossed!

2 years Lexapro 10 mg
Aug '09 Zaps started
cut from 10 to 6mg over 8 weeks
5mg for 6 wks
4.5mg 4wks
3.75mg 3 wks
3.4 mg 2 wks
switched to liquid 7th March '10
3.4mg 2 wks
strong head zaps, head pressure
3mg 5wks
2.8 mg 4 wks