our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 04-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
UKRach

Benadryl, antihistamine question

Hello All

I know from previous posts that a few of you have found Benadryl helpful in helping you sleep.

I have recently been suffering with a bad wave of vertigo and nausea but have noticed some relief from it if I take a 24hr Benadryl antihistamine.

My question is, how does the antihistamine help the vertigo and nausea and is it addictive or safe to take during a bad wave? Although ginger. mint etc help with the nausea this vertigo really upsets me and makes it hard to drive to work!!

Any thoughts on how the antihistamine works will be appreciated

Rach
10.5mg July 09 stopped tapering due to wedding and was starting to feel stressed and anxious
9.75 mg Jan 1st 2010 bit bumpy
8mg Feb 11th 2010 joined PP
7.2 mg March 25th 2010
June 18th 2010 swap to 7mg Prozac liquid
Jan 10th 2011 ANTIDEPRESSANT FREE
UKRach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
UKRach

Re: Benadryl, antihistamine question

and another question if I could be so bold

The vertigo and nausea I get can sometimes be three weeks after a drop, even though mentally I have been quite well. Is the vertigo/nausea a sign to go slower or a sign that I should go for the next drop??
10.5mg July 09 stopped tapering due to wedding and was starting to feel stressed and anxious
7.2 mg March 25th 2010
Old 04-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Healing Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKRach View Post
Hello All

I know from previous posts that a few of you have found Benadryl helpful in helping you sleep.

I have recently been suffering with a bad wave of vertigo and nausea but have noticed some relief from it if I take a 24hr Benadryl antihistamine.

My question is, how does the antihistamine help the vertigo and nausea and is it addictive or safe to take during a bad wave? Although ginger. mint etc help with the nausea this vertigo really upsets me and makes it hard to drive to work!!

Any thoughts on how the antihistamine works will be appreciated

Rach

Hi UKRach.......

I wish to share what I had discovered re: research. Antihistamines are addictive and so, they should be used very judiciously. I did use it on my most severe days (vomiting) but refrained from using it for more than a few days in a row and then went weeks without taking it.]

I have one paper in which a doctor talks about one patient he had that was very addicted to antihistamines and that they withdr. were worse than heroine.

What most people don't realize is that "histamine" is a neurotransmitter and some antidepressants affect histamine. Consequently, when withdr. from these meds "histamine" goes into rebound (hence many of the withdr. symptoms) and this is why an antihistamine works (it dampens down histamine over-drive). Problem is...........we are giving the receptor sites one of the very things that it is withdr. from and so, using antihistamiens regularly will only complicate one's withdr. in many ways.

The fact that an antihistamine can bring down brain zaps, nausea, vomiting, panic attacks and extreme fear (which it did for me) PROVES that it works on neurotransmitters and that it is cross-tolerant to some antidepressant properties.

The thing is.......it's no different than using a benzo to alleviate AD withdr. (using one addictive drug to get off another addictive drug). There is always a price to pay in the long run and then one will have to withdr. from yet another drug.

Use it very sparingly okay and at the lowest possible dose. You don't have to take a full dose to get a therapeutic effect. Sometimes just taking a "children's dose or HALF of a child's dose can work".

Hope this helps. Hope others will weigh in on this subject matter. Hang in there.......you will make this journey.

Healing Soul
Healing Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
Healing Soul

[QUOTE=UKRach;637095]and another question if I could be so bold

The vertigo and nausea I get can sometimes be three weeks after a drop, even though mentally I have been quite well. Is the vertigo/nausea a sign to go slower or a sign that I should go for the next drop?? [/quote]

You may wish to slow down your taper by 5 percent. This could significantly reduce your symptoms. Are you holding long enough at each dose (4 - 6 weeks or longer?) This is important as well since it can reduce the severity of your symptoms.

Again, I hope others share their thoughts. BTW, as you get down lower in dose the symptoms can become more troubleseome and this is why it's important to slow down your taper (make smaller cuts and hold longer) if possible.

If you make some of these modifications (tailor your taper to your particular biochemistry) you could suffer less.

Healing Soul
Old 04-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
UKRach

Thank you so much Healing Soul for your feedback in regard to the antihistamine, I really appreciate it and intend to use it sparingly! Up till now have probably taken it five times and will definitely limit it to very severe days!

Yes am starting to hold my doses for longer I think the severe vertigo just threw me after feeling pretty good at the 7mg mark for a few weeks, but thats my own fault as I sneaked that 0.2mg extra drop in after two weeks as I am SO inpatient!!

On the positive side though I feel assertive, excited, motivated.....have not had all these feeling for years so I am not giving up.....
7.2 mg March 25th 2010
Old 04-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Jessamine

Early in c/t withdrawal, I could not tolerate benadryl -- it had a bad effect on my heartbeat and pulse. Months later, I could take a small amount for sleep without any problem.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
UKRach

I have had no trouble taking it when I have but I noticed that after about 24 hrs the withdrawal symptoms come back and seem quite severe - guess it just masks the problem but does sometimes give some welcome relief.
7.2 mg March 25th 2010
Old 04-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
Jonny5

Quote:
I think the severe vertigo just threw me after feeling pretty good at the 7mg mark for a few weeks, but thats my own fault as I sneaked that 0.2mg extra drop in after two weeks as I am SO inpatient!!
Naughty Rach. Tut tut.
Sep/11 - 0mg.
Jonny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #9
Healing Soul

Quote:
Thank you so much Healing Soul for your feedback in regard to the antihistamine, I really appreciate it and intend to use it sparingly! Up till now have probably taken it five times and will definitely limit it to very severe days!

Yes am starting to hold my doses for longer I think the severe vertigo just threw me after feeling pretty good at the 7mg mark for a few weeks, but thats my own fault as I sneaked that 0.2mg extra drop in after two weeks as I am SO inpatient!!

On the positive side though I feel assertive, excited, motivated.....have not had all these feeling for years so I am not giving up.....

UKRach......

You are most welcome! And EXCELLENT.....sounds like you have been using it judicously. I do know how the appearance of a severe symptom can throw one off but, as you have noted....trying to speed up the taper only results in increase suffering.

I know how hard it is to be patient but slow and steady wins the race. Sounds like you have a really good attitude and are committed to the process. Good for you and I'm glad to hear you are having a return of some feelings.

You will make it and will be so glad you went through this process to become drug-free. I wish you a smooth taper as well as post taper. Take care.

Healing Soul
Old 01-11-2011, 06:04 AM   #10
Hilary in UK

Finding this thread of conversation about antihistamines and the apparent relief they give to withdrawal symptoms is helpful information indeed - answering as it does why, when taking a small amount of antihistamine for something else, I found sudden, but temporary, relief with the withdrawal symptoms as well.
I know, now, that if it ever feels unbearable again, that there is something I can do to damp it down, and I certainly will be very sparing and judicious about using it. I'd much rather have other help and solutions, than tablets now.
Thank you to the previous 'posters' of the question and information for this antihistamine advice.
Hilary in UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
Pat Shields
Ms. Pee Pee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healing Soul View Post
Sometimes just taking a "children's dose or HALF of a child's dose can work".l
Twice this week I needed to take it to sleep; it comes in 25 mg tablets, and each time I took 1/4 tablet. Just make absolutely sure that nothing else you are taking, such as cold and flu medicine or other allergy medicine, or anti-itch cream, contains diphenhydramine, which is what Benadryl is. Also combined with chlorpheniramine maleate it can knock you on your a$$. Regardless, it is dangerous to drive if you are taking it and not used to it. There is lots of Internet information on diphenhydramine.
Pat Shields is offline   Reply With Quote