our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 05-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
Mozart22

Restless, Can't Concentrate, Mind Racing

I'm on my 4th withdrawal attempt, going very very slowly.
I'm down to 10 mg. My original dose was 20 mg. It took several
months to get down to 10 mg. I've been at this dose for about a month
now and I'm very restless and my mind is very anxious.

I keep worrying about regular everyday stuff and can't concentrate
easily. My mind is all over the place.

What can I do to calm this horrible anxiety? It really is annoying
and not comfortable AT ALL. I'm already tapering very slowly, what
else can I do? I can barely sit still and relax. This withdrawal sucks so bad.

Update October 2012: 75% healed from withdrawal, in much better condition, but some important issues remain: Poor sleep, apnea and heartburn, fatigue and lack of energy, poor concentration. Trying hard to solve these issues. More energy, better sleep, and better focus needed to be able to work and hold a job. Hard to do for now.
Mozart22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
carolyn
Hmm, horse penis and lemongrass?

Re: Restless, Can't Concentrate, Mind Racing

Have you read "Hope and Help For Your Nerves" by Claire Weekes?

There are also many mindfulness tips that you can implement to help with anxiety and restlessness: progressive muscle relaxation, yoga, meditation. Cutting out sugar and caffeine also help.

10mg: May 2002 - August 2007 for panic disorder.
20mg: August 2007 - August 2008; doubled dose after hitting poop-out.
Started Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in August 2007. Recommended!
Tried to taper too fast in July 2008 and went back to 20mg.
Started to taper on August 2, 2008.
Dropped by 8% to 10% every three weeks.
Switched to liquid at 9.2mg on March 6, 2009.
PAXIL FREE: June 27, 2010
carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
whitetea

Hi,

Sorry you are having a bad time of it. I can relate. I have this restless body syndrome thing going on and it is misery. I can't seem to be still. And my mind is jumping from fear to fear.

I don't usually recommend supplements, as I do believe that taking stuff can get in the way of natural healing. But I have had a little luck with
L-theanine. Do your own research about this, OK? Don't take my word for it. I am sure it is not for everyone. And I use it very sparingly. But it takes the edge off the worst of it for me. Sometimes. http://www.web-us.com/l-theanine_anxiety_reducer.htm

Here is a link to a little info: http://www.web-us.com/l-theanine_anxiety_reducer.htm

I wish you rapid healing,
whitetea
Mis-diagnosis cleared up in Oct, 08.
C/T'd off klonopin (2mg)--- led to 5+ months of w/d through Feb 09.
Then developed TD in Feb '09 prompting expedited taper off zoloft, effexor and seroquel from Feb 09- October 09.

Drug free since 10/09!
whitetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Keep in mind a couple of things, Mozart: Slow taper doesn't mean symptom free. Hopefully though, what you do experience will be relatively mild and short lived.

Also keep in mind, the lower you go in dose, the more likely your original issue is to start rearing its ugly head. It's very important, while you're tapering, you seek out alternative ways of dealing with what brought you to medication in the first place.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
Mozart22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrawford67 View Post
Keep in mind a couple of things, Mozart: Slow taper doesn't mean symptom free. Hopefully though, what you do experience will be relatively mild and short lived.

Also keep in mind, the lower you go in dose, the more likely your original issue is to start rearing its ugly head. It's very important, while you're tapering, you seek out alternative ways of dealing with what brought you to medication in the first place.
Thanks. Ya I know that a slow taper is not symptom-free. I just wish there
was something I could do to calm this anxiety other than just be patient.

And I know my original symptoms will return, but this was never an original symptom of mine. I had problems but not the kind where my mind is all over the place and I can't concentrate. That is a withdrawal problem only. Never had this before I started withdrawal

Update October 2012: 75% healed from withdrawal, in much better condition, but some important issues remain: Poor sleep, apnea and heartburn, fatigue and lack of energy, poor concentration. Trying hard to solve these issues. More energy, better sleep, and better focus needed to be able to work and hold a job. Hard to do for now.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:54 AM   #6
Mixter

What is your exact weaning schedule? Complete.

I suggest you CBT, it is effective.

I have not tried L-Theanine but will order.
I believe in it too.

Also, if you have problems I recommend you go down even slower like I and Pokie - we are successful tapers. 2-3% each 3 weeks.
Why not? It is not too slow. It works! Maybe you are one of us that needs very, very slow taper.

Maybe you are tapering too fast. Updose, get stable and do a much slower taper from now on.

Ct benzos,Lyrica and Remeron -06/07
Ct taper Effexor 300-75mg summer -08
Ct 8 yr tobacco habit.
Reinstated too late 3 mos out.
Was upto 450 mg Effexor (equiv 120 mg Celexa).

Switched to Celexa 20mg at 23 nov 2012 because cant stand being on Effexor XR.

Diagnosed with Lyme (had it since 6 yrs old - 1987)
Treatment ongoing

30 mg Citalopram since 11th september 2014.
Still too sick - Lyme. Seroquel 100 mg.
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:57 AM   #7
Rachelina

I agree with Mixter. You may have tapered too fast. I don't know what you mean by several months - a 10% taper from 20 to 10 would take 7 - 8 months, but for some people even 10% is too fast. I would take a nice loooong break at 10 mg (I think you said you were going to do that anyway?) and then taper more slowly from now on - maybe try 5% or even smaller drops.
Sep 21 - 1.7 mg
Rachelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
Mozart22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelina View Post
I agree with Mixter. You may have tapered too fast. I don't know what you mean by several months - a 10% taper from 20 to 10 would take 7 - 8 months, but for some people even 10% is too fast. I would take a nice loooong break at 10 mg (I think you said you were going to do that anyway?) and then taper more slowly from now on - maybe try 5% or even smaller drops.
Yes I'm gonna stay on 10mg for a total of 3 or 4 months, I think.
And yeah I suppose tapering from 10mg to 0mg should be even slower.

Thanks for the advice everyone

Old 05-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
Mozart22

Anyone else have some useful advice?

Old 05-09-2010, 02:30 AM   #10
anjopom

Yes, sitting at one dose for far too long, can produce these symptoms too, as your body adjusts to the lesser dose, you need to make a plaN TO REDUCE EVERY 3/4 WEEKS OR SO .

I too, tried to take a holiday from w/d after stabilising at a dose, and it ramped everything up badly, i didnt make the connection about sitting too long aT ONE DOSE EITHER, maybe this is something else you may want to consider might be causing this too.I found that when symptoms escalated like this they were eased by tapering again, but make it very small.

Sometimes its near on impossible to get a break in w/d, by staying at a particular dose,it produces the very symptoms this drug was made to cure!!!!!
NOv 2007 started a very super slow taper.
May 11th 2011, off seroxat, job done.

" A snails pace wins the race"
anjopom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
Mozart22

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjopom View Post
Yes, sitting at one dose for far too long, can produce these symptoms too, as your body adjusts to the lesser dose, you need to make a plaN TO REDUCE EVERY 3/4 WEEKS OR SO .

I too, tried to take a holiday from w/d after stabilising at a dose, and it ramped everything up badly, i didnt make the connection about sitting too long aT ONE DOSE EITHER, maybe this is something else you may want to consider might be causing this too.I found that when symptoms escalated like this they were eased by tapering again, but make it very small.

Sometimes its near on impossible to get a break in w/d, by staying at a particular dose,it produces the very symptoms this drug was made to cure!!!!!
this is an interesting theory but I don't agree with it.
If I stay at 10 mg for 4 months, it can't be worse than reducing
every 3 weeks. I think staying at a dose for some time brings some
stabilization.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #12
Zoloft25

i hope so Mozart, and I hope you get better also, but i've been on 10 mgs of celexa for 33 weeks and nort much better, with groin problems and tingling in my hands, and feet, ihope i get beter, can't take much more and neither can my mom.
20 mgs Celexa for a few weeks, tapered too fast. Back to 10 mgs for a while, tapered over a few months to 5 mgs and then stopped.

Started back on 10 mgs of Celexa april 11th,

Ambien 10 mgs for 2 months. now tapering slowly and having some withdrawal symptoms.

supplaments, 12000 mgs of Fish Oil, Multivitamin, 250 mgs Magnesium, Cod Liver Oil
Zoloft25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #13
Mozart22

These meds suck

Old 05-10-2010, 03:13 AM   #14
stan

Quote:

i agree with you,

i , never stabilize during taper, but never wait more than 3 weeks

logically when we stay a few months on a dose we stabilize, but not always,
when long term taken or poop out or other reason unknown, we cannot stabilize and feel better,
so , certain people suffer without end, certain switch( problems) , certain cold turkey , certain taper systematic as i

the solution is difficult to know before

so try to wait, if not goes, taper
stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:52 AM   #15
palm

Quote:

That has definitely been my experience as I taper the Doxepin.

Palm
Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #16
Mozart22

What do you think about all this, LCrawford?
Isn't it the case that you should listen to your body instead
of following a strict 3 week schedule?
Shouldn't I stay at 10mg for as long as it takes me to stabilize before
tapering further?
Apparently several people are saying I should keep tapering no matter
what, even if I have not stabilized. I'm skeptical about that argument though.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #17
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Hey, don't drag me into this! LOL!!

Here's the thing, Mozart...if you're hitting tolerance (poop out) you may in fact feel better if you lower dose and, as others stated, you may not fully hit your definition of stable. So, there's a possiblity you could stay at 10 mgs for years, and still not feel as good as you think you should before dropping again. Stable, is a relative term.

That being said, you have to do what YOU feel comfortable with. If you don't feel you should taper at this point, then don't. You've been at this dose for about 4 weeks, correct? Our recommendation has always been 3-6 weeks, so you can certainly wait a couple more weeks before deciding anything.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!

Last edited by LCrawford67 : 05-10-2010 at 11:51 AM.
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #18
Mozart22

I've been at 10mg for 7 weeks.
I don't intend to stay at 10 mg for a long time really.
Just 3 or 4 months. Then I begin the second phase
of my withdrawal, which seems to be the hardest for me
by far: going from 10 mg to 0mg

Old 05-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #19
runtime89

if you look back at some of my posts a couple of years ago, i had this so bad that every moment was a bizarre sort of torment. my mind was so full of static i couldn't keep a train of thought for more than one second. that is so exaggeration. i tried boatloads of supplements but the problem was so extreme nothing seemed to really help (although i seem to remember getting a little improvement from b vitamins, and temporary relief with tyrosine). really it's just been slowly dissipating over the last 2 years. only recently have i found myself engaging in activities that require some level of concentration and focus and time, which amazes me.

if your restless mind fog is as bad as mine was, all i can really recommend is long walks, because they kill time and give you lots of little things to think about as you walk past them, not to mention they're healthy and from what i've read increase blood flow to the brain. also i watched a lot of television, which was ok because it's designed to appeal to extremely short attention spans and could distract me from all the miserable thoughts in my head.
03.04: 20mg
(2 CT attempts)
12.01.07: 10mg
Late 02.08: 5mg, feeling better than in years
Late 03.08: 0mg, huge crash
04.12.08: 5mg
04.25.08: 10mg
Monthly drops starting 08.19.08
07.29.10: 0.54mg to 0mg

"Big pharma" has taken my health, intelligence, creativity, personality, and girlfriend.
runtime89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #20
Rachelina

Every situation is different. For some people staying on the same dose for an extended time doesn't work. But I am so exhausted from all this tapering that I am going to try and take a nice long break (probably many months) at 5 mg and see if I can stabilize there. If not then I guess I'll keep plugging away at the taper. Let me know how staying at 10 mg works for you, Mozart!
Sep 21 - 1.7 mg
Rachelina is offline   Reply With Quote