our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 10-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
crispus

15 years on Paxil

Hi all. This is my first post. I have been on Paxil for around 15 years. I first went on it for anxiety and depression over divorce and business failure. I was taking 20 mil. gram for the first few years. I tried to go off it and failed, but was able to lower my dosage to 10 mil. gram.

Well here I am again trying to ween myself off this drug. I have lowered my dosage to 5 mil. gram the last 2 weeks. I have also been taking 5HTP 100 mg and gaba. They have greatly lessoned the side effects so far.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any reports linking type II diabetes with paxil. No one in my family has ever had diabetes but me. My weight has gone up since taking paxil. I know its been a long period, but I was under 200 lbs before taking paxil now I am around 250 lbs. I have a lot of trouble loosing weight even with calorie restriction diets. I have been on a low carb Paleo style woe for over a month and I have lost some weight, but my BG remains high. My fasting numbers are around 140-150 and 2 hours after meals around 115.

I am going to follow the advice here to lower my Paxil gradually around 10% a month and see how it goes. The last time I tried to quit, I had terrible anxiety attacks waking me up in the middle of the night. I ran around the house like a headless chicken. I would love to not go through such severe attacks again.

Thanks
crispus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Sonika

Re: 15 years on Paxil

ABSOLUTELY!!! Try the book by doctor Ann Blake Tracy, "Prozac, Panacea or Pandora", the diabetes stuff is very well explained as well as other health side effects from ssris including asthma and heart disease. I gained 50lbs on the last 3-4 yers on paxil. I was on it for about 7. My sugar levels remained okay thanks to good family history and a lot of luck because... God was i fat ha ha. 200lbs, now i am down to 179 and still losing mostly because the withdrawal is bad and doesn't let me enjoy food... no problem right
About the diet, be very carefull. People who need serotonin need carbs to make the serotonin. Once i went on a low carb diet and crashed so bad my paxil had to be increased by 1/2. HORRIBLE.
I am also taking 5htp and other amino acids with the help of my doctor... If you need more info about the amino acid therapy and the low carb diet stuff check my blog... I know we are not supposed to advertise here but my blog is not monetized and i really just keep it for informational purposes... it will be obvious once you see there is only like 3 posts there lol! http://purringcatinsidemychest.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the community! I really hope you don't suffer half what i've been trough but if you do... remember we are here!
JUST WONDERING WHEN THE *&*^^&% will i feel better????

February 2010 Paxil 30mg (dose up and down for 7 yrs but mostly 30mg)
March 2010 Paxil 20mg (big change, i started taking amino acid therapy and my serotonin went up substantially)
April 2010 Paxil 15mg
May 2010 Paxil 10mg
June 2010 Paxil 5 mg
August 2010 Paxil 2.5 mg
September 2010 0.000
FREE AT LAST, feeling better Feb. 2011
Sonika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Celaine

Yes, crispus, the same thing happened to me. I was on Paxil for 13 years and gained an extra 150 lbs. So far, I've lost 120 lbs., and the type II diabetic symptoms have disappeared. Actually, everything I suffered physically from before has vanished. My doctor says now that that I'm not diabetic and is amazed at the changes that I've gone through. I truly believe that it was the Paxil. My blood sugars were never really high, but just high enough that my doctor diagnosed me as diabetic.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
scotty
Administrator

The association of Type II diabetes and ssri's isn't a proven thing. What paxil DOES do is it causes weight gain that is a prime factor for diabetes.
There is no credible documentation of paxil causing asthma or heart disease, but weight once again can be a factor there.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
Songbird
Queen of the appendage vocabulary

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispus View Post
Well here I am again trying to ween myself off this drug. I have lowered my dosage to 5 mil. gram the last 2 weeks. I have also been taking 5HTP 100 mg and gaba.
Quote:
I am going to follow the advice here to lower my Paxil gradually around 10% a month and see how it goes.
I'm confused, it sounds like you've just done a 50% drop from 10mg to 5mg?

I'm also a little concerned about the 5HTP, it isn't supposed to be taken when you are on an SSRI because of the risk of serotonin syndrome.
Jan 07-Feb 08 20mg > 5mg Apr 4.5mg 5mg Jun 10mg Jul 20mg Oct Loxamine Dec 17.5mg 15mg
Jan 12.5mg > Dec 6.3mg
2010 Aug 6.15mg Nov 6 mg
2011 Feb 5.9mg Apr 5.8mg May 5.7mg Jun 5.6mg Sep 5.5mg Nov 5.4mg Dec 5.3mg
2012 19 Feb 5.2mg 14 Oct 5.1mg 6 Dec 5mg
2013 25 Jan 4.9mg 4 Jul 4.8mg 29 Aug 4.7mg 8 Oct 4.6mg 24 Nov 4.5mg 15 Dec 4.4mg
2014 18 Jan 4.3mg 31 Mar 4.2mg 12 May 4.1mg 7 Jun 4.0mg
Songbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
Sonika

I agree with Laurie in that the link to asthma and heart disease has not been studied! I once met a psych nurse who told me she saw patients on paxil develop heart problems and asthma. She encouraged me to switch to another ssri. But other than that nurse i have only seen mention of heart disease/asthma here and there, nothing conclusive. I don't want to scare anybody unnecessarily...

March 2010 Paxil 20mg (big change, i started taking amino acid therapy and my serotonin went up substantially)
April 2010 Paxil 15mg
May 2010 Paxil 10mg
June 2010 Paxil 5 mg
August 2010 Paxil 2.5 mg
September 2010 0.000
Old 10-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
crispus

I lowered myself to the 5 mg. some time before I read this forum. Anyway I seem to be virtually symptom free at the moment. I have noticed that I get angry a lot, and am less willing to just go along passively. From here on I will be lowering my paxil dosage by 10% every 3-6 weeks. As for the 5-HTP, I have read that it helps with the withdrawal symptoms. I am also taking Gaba which has a similar effect. At any rate I don't think that these suppliments will have any of the horrible withdrawal of Paxil.

Celaine congratulations on getting your diabetes into remission. I am curious to find out if my weight and BG improve.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
Pat Shields
Ms. Pee Pee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
The association of Type II diabetes and ssri's isn't a proven thing. What paxil DOES do is it causes weight gain that is a prime factor for diabetes. There is no credible documentation of paxil causing asthma or heart disease, but weight once again can be a factor there.
I hate it when y'all give me stuff that is too heavy to think about. I didn't have heart disease before Paxil, but I have it now. Yet I am older, and plaques and hypertriglyceridemia run in my family. I didn't have problems with diabetes before Paxil, but now each time I am checked my hemoglobin A1C is higher, and last time it went over the edge. Yet I did gain that horrendous amount of weight on Paxil, and the problems with both hypertriglyceridemia and high HgbA1C values started after the weight gain. AND I am older, nearly 60, so if those problems were developing independently without Paxil, this is the time they would have manifested anyway.

It seems to me that I just happened to be taking Paxil when all this other stuff was "maturing." Yet, somebody should do a study. . . .

Oh, the asthma? I never get that unless I am taking aspirin, which I am not.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. - Thomas Paine
Pat Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
paxilboy2010
Banned

i still think on withdrawal u can gain weight from stress eating which is what i have done for the last 6 weeks. Actual on paxil, i gained about 20 lbs but i think that is better than going through hell. u can lose weight on any med with exercise and diet but the hell of withdrawal is something u can't change. I wish i had never dropped from 20 to 10 because of the weight gain.
paxilboy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #10
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxilboy2010 View Post
u can lose weight on any med with exercise and diet but the hell of withdrawal is something u can't change.
Actually, most have learned that weight loss while on paxil is almost impossible, despite exercise and diet.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
paxilboy2010
Banned

it is definately much harder than normal and it probably depends on the person to person. Some people probably can an some can't but honestly i would gladly take back th 20 pounds if i got the mental peace too.
paxilboy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #12
crispus

I have an extremely hard time loosing weight. It may be because of the Paxil or type II Diabetes. I keep my carbs under 40 net grams per day, and eat about 2000 calories a day. My energy level is great on carb so I think its good for me. I also had a sleep study around a year ago and was put on a CPAP machine. I used to fall asleep on demand, and had trouble staying awake while driving. With the CPAP I get much better sleep and function much better.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #13
Sonika

Quote:
Actually, most have learned that weight loss while on paxil is almost impossible, despite exercise and diet.
I have to second this. I gained 50lbs on paxil and there was nothing i could do. I was exercising and eating less than most people. I think it is the carb cravings i couldn't stop. I tried eating whole grain, measuring my cereal in the morning, eating lots of fruits and yogurt... all low in fat and sugar to no avail. I also never felt full. Now after paxil, i try to eat what i used to eat and i don't get near half the plate when i feel something wonderful... i feel full.

April 2010 Paxil 15mg
May 2010 Paxil 10mg
June 2010 Paxil 5 mg
August 2010 Paxil 2.5 mg
September 2010 0.000
Old 10-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #14
Songbird

Quote:
As for the 5-HTP, I have read that it helps with the withdrawal symptoms.
Whereabouts did you read this?

Quote:
Very true for me, nothing to do with cravings or appetite though, no matter how much I exercise or how little I eat hardly any weight ever comes off, I think it does something to metabolism.
Jan 07-Feb 08 20mg > 5mg Apr 4.5mg 5mg Jun 10mg Jul 20mg Oct Loxamine Dec 17.5mg 15mg
Jan 12.5mg > Dec 6.3mg
2010 Aug 6.15mg Nov 6 mg
2013 25 Jan 4.9mg 4 Jul 4.8mg 29 Aug 4.7mg 8 Oct 4.6mg 24 Nov 4.5mg 15 Dec 4.4mg
Old 10-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #15
crispus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispus
As for the 5-HTP, I have read that it helps with the withdrawal symptoms.
Whereabouts did you read this?
Songbird, it was my first day on this forum. I have since read a lot of negatives about the 5-HTP here, and have gone off the supplement. I am still taking the Gaba which I have not read anything negative about.

I have noticed that my emotions are becoming heightened, but so fat this has mostly been joyful. Thank goodness! I know that as I lower my paxil further I can expect more servier swings in emotions. I pray that I can hang in there. Thanks all for caring.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #16
Songbird

I did try 5HTP (a long time ago) and it did help with symptoms to some extent, but (as well as the risk of combining serotonergic substances) I think it can be difficult for the brain to stablise if we are altering serotonin levels with supplements. 5HTP seems to be fairly short-acting, so serotonin levels could be fluctuating quite a lot throughout the day, which might make things more difficult for the brain when it is trying to adjust and stabilise.

I don't know a lot about GABA supplements, haven't heard of any problems, only that it seems to be debateable whether it is actually able to cross the blood-brain barrier. I think some people here have tried it - I think Pokie may have been using it.
Jan 12.5mg > Dec 6.3mg
2010 Aug 6.15mg Nov 6 mg
Old 10-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #17
Sonika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird View Post
5HTP seems to be fairly short-acting, so serotonin levels could be fluctuating quite a lot throughout the day, which might make things more difficult for the brain when it is trying to adjust and stabilise.

I am using amino acid therapy under the care of a psychiatrist and most of what i am given is 5htp. 5htp is really short acting so i have to take the supplements 4 times a day and the dosage i am taking is WAY STRONGER than whatever commercial 5htp bottle recommends. I get my supplements directly from my doctor. It is true that you can get a serotonin overload and it had happened to me at several times during my so far 8 month treatment. As the doctor increases the 5htp, i look for clues to know my serotonin is too high and then i lower the paxil. I did this for months and i can tell you serotonin overload is not fun at all. You will know something is very wrong right away: a headache like there is very hot steam inside your skull, your face feels bloated, you have very bad diarrhea. Luckily, after some time i was able to recoginze the symptoms way sooner and i knew it was time to cut the paxil further.

During the tappering i had ZERO withdrawal symptoms except for the occasional bad headache. It was only when i finally stopped the paxil that i hit full blown withdrawal... and i am still in the middle of it. But I think the 5htp helped greatly during the tappering. At least it gave me hope and fortitude to face what i am going through right now. PM if you need more info on amino acid therapy.

April 2010 Paxil 15mg
May 2010 Paxil 10mg
June 2010 Paxil 5 mg
August 2010 Paxil 2.5 mg
September 2010 0.000
Old 10-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #18
kathleen2
PP's Nancy Drew!

Sonika, I worry that your doctor hasn't fully explained the risks of serotinin syndrome. This is from the U of Maryland's med program's page:

"Antidepressants -- People who are taking antidepressant medications should not take 5-HTP. These medications could combine with 5-HTP to cause serotonin syndrome, a dangerous condition characterized by mental changes, hot flashes, rapidly fluctuating blood pressure and heart rate, and possibly coma. Antidepressant medications that can interact with 5-HTP include:

SSRIs: Citalopram (Celexa), escitalopram (Lexapro), fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Paxil), fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline (Zoloft)
Tricyclics: Amitriptyline (Elavil), nortryptyline (Pamelor), imipramine (Tofranil)
Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs): Phenelzine, (Nardil), tranylcypromine (Parnate)
Nefazodone (Serzone)"
* Weaned off 1mg xanax w/ 1-month taper of .5 mg klonopin

Currently weaning Lexapro:
Sept.: 17.5 mg
Oct.: 15mg
Nov. 27th: 12.5 mg
Jan. 1st: 10 mg
April: 9mg
June: 8mg
Aug 1st: 7.5 mg
Nov. 1st: 5mg
June 5th: 4mg
Feb. 1st: 2.5mg
kathleen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #19
NewQuestions

3 or 4 years after taking zoloft, I noticed an increase in my triglyercides, and a decrease in my "good" HDL cholesterol. Years later, my doctor told me I had "nonalcohlic's fatty liver". I am convinced there is a connection but have no proof.
Drug history: Started Zoloft (200 mg) in 1993, experienced major change in side effects (beginning of poop out) in 2003, cycled through every other antidepressant available for the next 5 years looking for relief but they made me worse; last dose of an SSRI (Effexor) was in November 1997, last dose of an antidepressant (Parnate) was in December 2008 and last dose of a benzo (Ativan) was in February 2009.
NewQuestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #20
crispus

NewQuestions I too have fatty liver.

As I have said earlier I believe that my diabetes and metabolic syndrome is directly related to the side effects of my many years of taking Paxil. I always assumed that because I was on a low dose (10 mg) that I would be imune to any extreme side effects. I now know that the dose that you take is effected by each individuals internal systems. In this way a seemingly low dose can have the same effects in me as a high dose in someone else.

Sonika are there any withdrawal effects from taking your amino acid therapy when you decrease or go off it?
Old 10-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #21
Sonika

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen2 View Post
Sonika, I worry that your doctor hasn't fully explained the risks of serotinin syndrome. This is from the U of Maryland's med program's page:

Thanks Kathleen. I was told about it by my doctor and i think the most difficult part was understanding the symptoms. During my taper my doctor saw me every 10 days to monitor the serotonin levels. But, now i know it is very scary to have too much serotonin. I remember feeling like i would not be able to get to the bathroom!!!! and the headaches!!!! But, i am off paxil now and i am being closely monitored.

I really appreciate your care!

April 2010 Paxil 15mg
May 2010 Paxil 10mg
June 2010 Paxil 5 mg
August 2010 Paxil 2.5 mg
September 2010 0.000