our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 10-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
McLiberty

Towards a drug-free life. Withdrawal from 60mg Paxil, Lithium, Strattera, & Benzos.

I read everyone's advice for me and thank you. My main goal is to be drug-free, pill-free, and go to a therapist. I will tell the therapist that I will not take drugs or any referrals to a psychiatrist.

I'm currently being hit with major depression and anxiety. I don't know how long it's going to last. I've had a rough history with meds:

-Zoloft 100mg 2002-'06
-Paxil 80mg 8 months 2006, then Paxil 60mg '06-Dec '09
-Lithium 1200-1500mg 2006-stopped mid '10
-Strattera 80mg 2002-mid '08
-Low dose of benzos from June 2009-present.

I've decided to continue to taper off the 3mg Valium, as my doctor is suggesting. Valium is the only drug I'm on currently on. I'm not going to rush the taper. I'm using the Ashton Manual's slow withdrawal schedules as a guide.

The supplements I took a few weeks ago made me worse, I stopped all of the supplements and I'm slowly returning to the pre-supplement state which was a lot more stable. I’ll monitor my mood very carefully. I’ve noticed trends in symptoms, but the future is unpredictable.

I am starting to go out more and do activities. I have planned many things, and I have to put them in action. I’m not paranoid or withdrawn, the supplements put me into that unstable state. I've adopted a love everyone (including myself) and positive attitude, and that will help me get through the irritability and obsessions that come with depression. If I can catch myself when I’m feeling down, I can reverse it with CBT techniques.

I need some tools to help me go through anxiety, depression, cognitive difficulties, memory issues, and getting stuck on obsessive behavior/thoughts, etc. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me right now?
McLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
McLiberty

Re: Towards a drug-free life. Withdrawal from 60mg Paxil, Lithium, Strattera, & Benzo

45 views and no replies to my thread? I thought Paxil Progress would be more supportive. Did I do something wrong?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
jpvp

Re: Towards a drug-free life. Withdrawal from 60mg Paxil, Lithium, Strattera, & Benzo

Hi, i just viewed your thread...

someone will respond soon, i know i read a lot of threads but dont always post as i cant always think what i want to say or think someone else will respond better than me...thus nobody probably responds!

i feel the same way sometimes if nobody responds or takes ages to, i take it personally...its how we are

I have a similair, but longer history of medications as you and am suffering quite a while after stopping the drugs, mostly with anxiety lately which then leads to depression.

I have to start working on the CBT type things myself, i bought the book by claire weekes, help for your nerves...i think its called..but the book hasnt arrived yet and is taking ages grrr...but many have suggested this book to be a great start.

anyhow, i am a little out of it myself at the moment, mostly just fatigued all the time so i will close now, but you will get responses soon
33yrs old was on clonazepam 0.5mg daily for nearly a year - changed to valium equivalent and ceased entriely in late may 08, Taken most types SSRI's/tricyclics and benzos, anti-psychotics (you name it) over the last 10+ years for depression/anxiety - Last one was LEXAPRO - which i reduced gradually to 10mg by May 09 and stopped entirely approx October 2009
jpvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
WhatIsNormal

Hi! Don't take the views vs responses personally, you did nothing wrong. There are a lot of visitors and/or lurkers here that read but don't post.

It sounds like you have a great attitude. That will get you so so far!

http://www.paxilprogress.org/forums/...ad.php?t=49645
start here reading this thread, some good tools for coping with anxiety/panic

3/27/09-09/28/10...40mg to 0mg!!!

Always here for anyone that needs support, just PM me!!
WhatIsNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
subrata101

Exercise/High speed walking is the best alternate to medication. Hence, if you would like to come out of medicine, you have to exercise on regular basis. You would definetely feel the benefit of exercise within one month time. Additionally, breathing exercise also help to calm the mind.

You have also try to be occupied the whole day with creative work. It may sound difficult, but once you improve your health a little through exercise, you can slowly try to get involved through various activities. You are aware of the proverb that "Idle brain is devil's workshop". If you have enough free time, you mind would always get diverted towards your health issue. Hence, please start working towards the goal of life.

Best wishes,

Subrata101
subrata101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
McLiberty

I read this thread yesterday and I don't remember a thing from it. I have to write down the main points so I can go back and read it over and over again. This is the problem I have, I visit forums and message boards in the past, and I would type something, and then I don't remember anything from it, so I get discouraged, and I stop posting or replying. It's a vicious cycle, I've been so discouraged from reading that I stopped reading books or anything for the last 11 years. This is just ridiculous.

I have a long history of drug use, and I should've stopped taking these pills a long time ago. I have suffered so much, but the most devastating side effect is my memory loss, cognitive difficulties, I've had memory loss ever since 1999. I have a loss of concentration and loss of short-term and long-term memory.

It's the toughest of my side effects. I first came to psychiatry to find a solution to my memory issues and it messed up my brain completely. I just want to stabilize and get my life back. I don't want any more drama, I want to do something to be normal again, or at least close to normal as possible.

I feel severely depressed and severely anxious when I talk to people now. I don't remember anything that I write or do, and I can't have a normal conversation in real-life because my mind would go blank in the middle of the conversation. I can't even remember what I write or type. I would type something and I can't remember what I just typed. I would read something, or listen to a song, and it would be out of my head in seconds. Nothing stays. I can't remember even the plot to a TV show or a movie. I listened to a song over 100 times and I still can't remember two words from it.

I have tried to have a social life but I don't remember what anyone says or what I say. Help me please, I know I've been to Paxil Progress in the past, and I had to struggle hard to post here again because I just don't remember anything that I read.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #7
Songbird
Queen of the appendage vocabulary

Here are the things that have helped me a lot:

1. Dr. Claire Weekes - for anxiety

2. Relaxation exercises daily - to calm and balance the nervous system - highly recommended!

3. Going for a walk each day - helps to balance the nervous system, lots of physical and psychological benefits

4. Other gentle to moderate exercise such as yoga

5. Self-help books and tapes - e.g. Susan Jeffers' 'Inner Talk For Peace of Mind'

6. Writing things down - journalling, keeping a gratitude journal, writing down affirmations - I also keep a notebook where I write down ideas, names of book recommendations, supplement information, inspiring quotes and so on.

7. Trust - 'trusting in the process of life to bring me to my highest good' as Susan Jeffers would say.

You've been through a lot - from your signature it looks like you haven't been off Paxil for very long and the lithium was quite recent too? It is going to take some time, having tools will help, but you will also need time.
Jan 07-Feb 08 20mg > 5mg Apr 4.5mg 5mg Jun 10mg Jul 20mg Oct Loxamine Dec 17.5mg 15mg
Jan 12.5mg > Dec 6.3mg
2010 Aug 6.15mg Nov 6 mg
2011 Feb 5.9mg > Dec 5.3mg
2012 19 Feb 5.2mg 14 Oct 5.1mg 6 Dec 5mg
2013 25 Jan 4.9mg 4 Jul 4.8mg 29 Aug 4.7mg 8 Oct 4.6mg 24 Nov 4.5mg 15 Dec 4.4mg
2014 18 Jan 4.3mg 31 Mar 4.2mg 12 May 4.1mg 7 Jun 4.0mg 26 Jul 3.9mg 5 Sep 3.8mg 4 Oct 3.7mg
Songbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:01 AM   #8
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLiberty View Post

It's the toughest of my side effects. I first came to psychiatry to find a solution to my memory issues and it messed up my brain completely.
What they did they determine was causing your memory loss prior to taking any of these drugs?

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
sog210

Hi McLiberty,
I saw that you were on quite a bit of lithium and thought I would comment since I have been too.

How long were you on lithium and when? Its unusual these days to here about people on lithium, it was more a drug of the past.

I had some problems with this drug, and bigger problems getting off it.

Could you share some of you experiences with this drug?

Thanks,
Sog
Mellarill also w lithium(although only 5 nights)
zombie/memory problems/ mentally sluggish.
Lithium/Perhenazine- months-vision problems,zombie.
Lithium/Zyprexa--lobotomy/robot.
Abilify/Lamital

MY BRAIN IS DAMAGED

*All of these combos at high dose/time

- HELP! Is this Permanent? I am semi-mentally handicapped, brain disabled. Damaged memory.
sog210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
ray34iyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
What they did they determine was causing your memory loss prior to taking any of these drugs?
IIRC, the accutane he took messed him up. I'm pretty sure he was in the same position as me, albeit more severe.

Great huh? One drug screws you up and these 'docs' believe that another drug will solve the issues. gah.

Positives: So many

Eating live foods/juicing & natural healing have taken my life to a new level

Also, absolute BEST technique I've ever experienced for ANY type of negative emotions (anxiety, depression, etc)
EMOTIONAL FREEDOM TECHNIQUE (unbelievable how it works)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmIS69vB12I

ray34iyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post
IIRC, the accutane he took messed him up. I'm pretty sure he was in the same position as me, albeit more severe.

Great huh? One drug screws you up and these 'docs' believe that another drug will solve the issues. gah.
I actually believe Accutane is a huge problem drug. Every bit as dangerous as any psychotropic drug.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
ray34iyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrawford67 View Post
I actually believe Accutane is a huge problem drug. Every bit as dangerous as any psychotropic drug.
Oh boy... totally agree. I've never felt so messed up as when I was on that hell ride for 5 months. Developed SEVERE body dysmorphia on that great medicine and nearly ended it a few times. It's one thing to have these things available for people, it's another to have them available and totalllllly downplay and/or forgo informing the patients of the possible risks... and better yet, when they do have reactions that are obviously drug induced, they've magically developed some kind of disorder that need treating with another med. Ugh.. the world is so devoid of common sense it's scary.

Positives: So many

Eating live foods/juicing & natural healing have taken my life to a new level

Also, absolute BEST technique I've ever experienced for ANY type of negative emotions (anxiety, depression, etc)
EMOTIONAL FREEDOM TECHNIQUE (unbelievable how it works)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmIS69vB12I

ray34iyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #13
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post

Thanks Ray...I forgot about the accutane. McLiberty, is this fact that the memory problems started after the accutane?

MLK
Old 10-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #14
Jmarie

Sorry to interrupt, but I wanted to point out that McLiberty also mentioned that he took double the dosage of Accutane that his doctor prescribed. This would definitely cause anyone significant problems. Accutane is a dangerous drug and I find it so sad that the majority of people it is prescribed to are teenagers. I use Retin A which is the topical form of Accutane and much safer than the oral kind.
2010: 14mg-10.5mg
2011: 10.5-7.6mg
2012: 7.5-6.8mg
2013: 6.7-6.3mg
02/24/14: 6.2mg
04/24/14: 6.1mg
07/15/14: 6.0mg
09/15/14: 5.9mg

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."
Jeremiah 29:11
Jmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:36 AM   #15
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessG View Post
Sorry to interrupt, but I wanted to point out that McLiberty also mentioned that he took double the dosage of Accutane that his doctor prescribed.
Thank you, Jess. I did miss that and that's a very important component. Accutane, just at regular dosage, can be dangerous. Taking double what was prescribed is certainly dangerous.

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Old 10-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
McLiberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog210 View Post
Hi McLiberty,
I saw that you were on quite a bit of lithium and thought I would comment since I have been too.

How long were you on lithium and when? Its unusual these days to here about people on lithium, it was more a drug of the past.

I had some problems with this drug, and bigger problems getting off it.

Could you share some of you experiences with this drug?

Thanks,
Sog
I have horrible memory, I was on Lithium from mid-2006 to mid-2010, I stopped taking it in June 2010. I think I was on 1200-1500mg Lithium ER. My memory right now is gone, I'm not doing well at all. Lithium made me slow, gave me hand tremors, sexual dysfunction, and more, I don't remember clearly. But I'm in the process of trying to remember.

On Sunday, I tried to remember what I did on Saturday and I couldn't remember anything, I don't remember what I did yesterday. I didn't even remember what day it was until I went back to read what I wrote and I remember a little part of where I went to a store to buy something. The entire day is gone in my memory.

Quote:
Thanks Ray...I forgot about the accutane. McLiberty, is this fact that the memory problems started after the accutane?
Yes, my memory problems started after the Accutane, and it still persists until this day, only I have new symptoms, some of the old Accutane symptoms are gone.

The past few weeks have been hard on me, I can't remember anything, I feel like I'm living by the moment every second or minute of my life, I don't remember the past at all.

The depression and anxiety is crushing too. If it gets worse, I will have to seek professional help. Right now, simple daily things that used to take me minutes, now it takes me hours to do them.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #17
Jmarie

I am so sorry you have to go through this. It is obvious all your problems stem from the Accutane. After doing a quick Google search of Accutane+Memory Loss a TON of sites popped up with people experiencing the same problem after or during a round of Accutane. Have you seen a neurologist or other doctor about the memory loss?

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."
Old 10-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #18
Zoloft25

Hey, Good luck Mcliberty, we have of course talked on skype and I hope you are improving, I cant imagine the rollercoster you have been on with your drug history, I truly believe you will recover my man, though i can imagine what hell you have experienced, hang in an any help you need remember we are here to help you through this nightmare, hang in there friend n

SHANE
20 mgs Celexa for a few weeks, tapered too fast. Back to 10 mgs for a while, tapered over a few months to 5 mgs and then stopped.

Started back on 10 mgs of Celexa april 11th,

Ambien 10 mgs for 2 months. now tapering slowly and having some withdrawal symptoms.

supplaments, 12000 mgs of Fish Oil, Multivitamin, 250 mgs Magnesium, Cod Liver Oil
Zoloft25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:56 AM   #19
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessG View Post
I am so sorry you have to go through this. It is obvious all your problems stem from the Accutane. After doing a quick Google search of Accutane+Memory Loss a TON of sites popped up with people experiencing the same problem after or during a round of Accutane. Have you seen a neurologist or other doctor about the memory loss?
Yep. This is very important to note. As I said earlier, Accutane is every bit as dangerous as ANY drug out there.

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Old 10-21-2010, 05:03 AM   #20
scotty
Administrator

A quick google: I knew about all the psychiatric problems with Accutane, I didn't know about memory loss. Wow...big problem.

http://www.google.com/search?source=...AAAKoEBU_QF4sl

MLK

Last edited by scotty : 10-21-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:56 AM   #21
NoRx4me

Quote:
The depression and anxiety is crushing too. ... Right now, simple daily things that used to take me minutes, now it takes me hours to do them.
This was me too, the first year off drugs.
I'm sure taking Lithium for 4 years (until recently) along with the other meds has contributed to the memory issues you are still having. Much of the fog will lift with time alone. At least, that's how it's been for me.
NoRx4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:00 AM   #22
Jmarie

Quote:
A quick google: I knew about all the psychiatric problems with Accutane, I didn't know about memory loss. Wow...big problem.

http://www.google.com/search?source=...AAAKoEBU_QF4sl
Yep, I did some googling myself on Accutane and was horrified at what I found. In addition to the well documented increase in depression and anxiety, it can also cause severe joint/muscle pain, IBS, IBD, pancreatitis, liver problems, thyroid problems, even diabetes! The list goes on and on.
http://www.askapatient.com/viewratin...&name=accutane

In fact it was originally developed as and is still used as a chemotherapy drug!

Honestly it has me rethinking my use of Retin-A. They say only a small amount is absorbed into the bloodstream(less than 10%,) but more can be absorbed if applied to an open cut or irritated spot. I know I have applied it to a popped pimple and irritated spots. I honestly don't want ANY amount of such a horrible drug absorbed into my bloodstream. I find it so scary that some people can take Accutane with no problem and for others it can have devastating effects, some which last for years after stopping the drug.