our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 10-18-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
vestabula

Benzo or SSRI???

For those of you who have had the fond pleasure of being on both a benzo and SSRI at the same time and weaned off both...

I will have been off Lexapro competely for one year this week...did not wean properly and symptoms were (are?) a nightmare. About three months ago unbearable muscle pain/burning started especially around my entire rib cage and 'butt muscles'. Then cortisol rushes in the morning and heart palps and screaming tinnitus. I was still on 5mgs of Valium three or four times a week (one dose at night 'as needed' for RLS). It was brought to my attention by a medical professional that I was probably experiencing benzo poop out as I had been taking it this way for several years. So...started tapering very slowly as I did not want to increase the dosage, which was my option. The muscle stinging/burning is unreal and brings me to my knees. Could this be from protracted SSRI w/d or is it the benzo? Both drugs have similar w/d symptoms. I had the brain zaps, Parkinsonism symptoms, blurred vision etc after Lexapro but not this PAIN.

My doctor shakes his head at all of this...as I have fibromyalgia and thinks I am just 'flaring'. I have had fibro for over twenty years and never ever had this kind of pain, or had the 'flares' linger like this. Never been house bound from it.

I guess I would just like to hear from people who have weaned off both...did both cause muscle pain or just the benzo???

I think it is funny and not in a 'ha ha' way that I was put on both of these drugs for fibro pain. Holy Crap.
Stopped completely on Halloween 2009, per my doctors instructions.
5 mgs valium 'as needed' for Meniere's disease and RLS in 2007. Started to wean in fall of 2010...nightmare. Had not recovered from Lexapro yet. Benzo free Sept 1st 2011.
vestabula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
texgirl
Regina Benzodictius

Re: Benzo or SSRI???

Quote:
Originally Posted by vestabula View Post
Could this be from protracted SSRI w/d or is it the benzo? Both drugs have similar w/d symptoms. I had the brain zaps, Parkinsonism symptoms, blurred vision etc after Lexapro but not this PAIN.
I think you answered your own question.

I didn't have muscle pain of the kind you're describing during benzo tolerance and w/d, but I did have extreme muscle aching, jerking, twitching, and muscle fatigue. These lasted for several months after my last dose, gradually got better, and finally went away completely. Your fibromyalgia is probably causing your pain to manifest in a way that's particular to you. But benzos can and will do this, absolutely.

Quote:
I think it is funny and not in a 'ha ha' way that I was put on both of these drugs for fibro pain.
That's because you're supposed to stay on them. We all know they're effective forever and totally safe.

Face. Accept. Float. Let Time Pass. — Dr. Claire Weekes

We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same. — Carlos Castañeda
texgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

I agree with Tex. Aches and pains are common during w/d, but in your case, you have fibromyalgia, so your pain will manifest in a particular way to you.

SSRIs and even anti convulsants, are commonly prescribed for fibro. Cymbalta's "depression hurts" campaign was targeting that specifically. And of note, drugs like Savella, make a point to say they're "not an antidepressant."

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
vestabula

I would like to say that I have never taken anything stronger than Advil for fibro pain until I tried this toxic combo. I belong to a fibro support group and 99% of them are poly drugged up to their nose holes. Three members this month have gone to the ER with seratonin syndrome and one of them almost died. I am one of two members who are not on narcotics boosted with either an SNRI/SSRI....with a muscle relaxer or two for good measure. Vicodin and Tramadol are the drugs of choice...I have both in my medicine cabinet and have never taken one pill but let me tell you, I have been eyeballing them lately. I feel like I have been doused in gasoline and set on fire.

Sorry for the whining...I am so hoping this is w/d and not fibro deciding to reallly take me out after all these years.

Oh, and Savella and Lyrica are a joke. After the initial puking, diarrhea and fainting, it works for about a month...most members throw it in the garbage.
Stopped completely on Halloween 2009, per my doctors instructions.
5 mgs valium 'as needed' for Meniere's disease and RLS in 2007. Started to wean in fall of 2010...nightmare. Had not recovered from Lexapro yet. Benzo free Sept 1st 2011.
vestabula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Taking one Vicodin every now and then, isn't going to hurt you and if the pain is that bad, that's what it's for. Taking it every day, is something entirely different.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
westeewoman

Vestabula, sorry to hear you hurting. What LC said! If advil isn't helping with this new pain, go for a vicodin and see if it gets you a break.

I'm on Cymbalta - and have had a lot of aches and pains in my neck and shoulders. I've always found it amusing that it's marketed for fibro.

Prozac, imipramine, klonopin 1989-1993
Paxil 1993-1998 poop-out/ct
Celexa 1998-2005 poop-out/ct
Cymbalta 60 mg July, 2005
last propranolol 15 mg/day April 6, 2007
last Serax 10 mg/day April 6, 2007
Cymbalta 60 mg 8/23/07 to 50.5 mg on 2/24/08 in six drops
Cymbalta 49.0mg 3/26/2008 to 40mg 2/6/2009 in nine drops
Cymbalta 38.5mg 4/15/2009 to 30mg 7/14/2010 in eight drops
westeewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
Sonika

[quote=vestabula;685691] Three members this month have gone to the ER with seratonin syndrome and one of them almost died. QUOTE]

Vestabula,

According to doctor Ann Blake Tracy of "Prozac Panace or Pandora" aspartame lowers serotonin so... maybe you want to tell the others in your group that if at any moment they have serotonin overdose, a gallon of diet coke might help!

Also, the symptoms of serotonin syndrome are easy to see if you know them. Starts with a "hot" headache, burning inside your face and diarrhea... the minute anyone gets this... run to the ER!!!! Diet coke in hand...
JUST WONDERING WHEN THE *&*^^&% will i feel better????

February 2010 Paxil 30mg (dose up and down for 7 yrs but mostly 30mg)
March 2010 Paxil 20mg (big change, i started taking amino acid therapy and my serotonin went up substantially)
April 2010 Paxil 15mg
May 2010 Paxil 10mg
June 2010 Paxil 5 mg
August 2010 Paxil 2.5 mg
September 2010 0.000
FREE AT LAST, feeling better Feb. 2011
Sonika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
scotty
Administrator

One of the "commonly" reported side effects of lexapro is arthralgia...pain in the joints,and myalgia,muscle pain.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
Pat Shields
Ms. Pee Pee!!

Quote:
About three months ago unbearable muscle pain/burning started especially around my entire rib cage and 'butt muscles'. Then cortisol rushes in the morning and heart palps and screaming tinnitus. . . Vicodin and Tramadol are the drugs of choice...I have both in my medicine cabinet and have never taken one pill but let me tell you, I have been eyeballing them lately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrawford67 View Post
Taking one Vicodin every now and then, isn't going to hurt you and if the pain is that bad, that's what it's for. Taking it every day, is something entirely different.
Wow, this thread hits close to home. However, my bouts of severe pain stem from multiple sclerosis, not from fibromyalgia or drug withdrawal. Yet, the description is identical, with the exception of the cortisol rushes. The "screaming tinnitus" came in three simultaneous varieties (high-pitched ringing, a sound like air blowing, and a low roaring). The rib cage involvement is common among MS patients. The pain you locate in the "butt muscles" is mainly in my hips and thighs. I bring my similarities up only to say that MS is a central nervous system disease, and many things affect our CNS negatively, drugs and disease mainly, plus stress and trauma. This leads me to the mention of Vicodin - - some of the pain only gabapentin would relieve, and thank God that pain is gone and so is the gabapentin. The run-of-the-mill pain I experience now is well controlled on Vicodin and ibuprofen. (If I could get Vicoprofen, I would take that and eliminate the acetaminophen entirely.) I don't take the Vicodin every 24-hour period, but most nights I take half a tablet along with ibuprofen, and that eases me out of the pain and allows me to sleep. The moral of THAT story is what Laurie said, if the pain is that bad, that's what it's for. Once in a very rare while I will have to take the V during the daylight hours, and when I do, I don't get "high" or drowsy or nonfunctional, because the V is doing its job. (Of course, I play it safe and don't drive when I take it.)

About the tinnitus - mine is because my brain is not processing the signals from my otic nerves correctly as evidenced by a nerve conduction velocity study. All has resolved currently except the high-pitched ringing, and I can mask that with white noise or television or radio or simply by being distracted. I will say when all three of those things were going on it was hard to hear normal conversation. Keep in mind that some drugs or other substances can cause tinnitus - aspirin and other salicylates (Ben-Gay, Pepto-Bismol) are the most notorious offenders. If you drink a lot of gin and tonic, the tonic water can cause it in some people. Many medications can cause it. Chemotherapy for cancer can cause it. Old age can cause it. And, of course, habitually subjecting your ears to loud noise can cause it. If you think something you are taking internally is causing it, Google "tinnitus causes" and look over the lists you will get. The only hope I can offer to alleviate it is to do what I have done and to find out the cause if you can, eliminate the offender, and give yourself time to heal. If you can't fix it, learn ways to mask it to make it more bearable. beeeeeeeeeep this is not a test of the emergency broadcast system beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep but it might sound like it beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. - Thomas Paine
Pat Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #10
eileen

I've weaned off 30mg Paxil and 75mg Trazodone and I'm now weaning off a benzo after nineteen years. I'm having a lot of muscle pain, something that I didn't have before and also some, not a lot, of rib cage pain but didn't connect this last one to benzo withdrawal until now. Your on a low dose but should go very slowly to have some comfort. I'm sending you a PM.

Eileen
I will survive!
eileen is offline   Reply With Quote