our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 12-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
RachWC

New here and looking for advice

Hello all,

First, so glad to find this support board!! A little background on me: I've been on SSRI's since the age of 13 and I'm now 30 years old. Initially put on a high dose of prozac 80mg for depression (due to my parents possible divorce) and was able to get off of that when I was 17. The summer between high school and college brought me panic attacks and have now been on paxil since 1999 for anxiety. I believe I started out at 20mg and eventually stabilized for many years at 30mg. I was on effexor and paxil for a few months but got off the effexor. Then about a year ago I added Wellbutrin 200mg SR to help with depression and to see about lowering my dose of paxil. At that point I was on 40mg paxil and feeling quite numb.

My husband and I are thinking about having kids in a few years and my life is mostly stable (as stable as it can be with a husband in the military) so I wanted to see if I could either reduce my dose of paxil or get off of it completely. I've never had any problems getting off meds before. Started my tapering in March 2010 to 30mg, April-25mg, May-20mg, June-15mg, July-10mg. No problems at all..

Moved from CT to MD in July so stayed on 10mg while we got settled and dealt with many house issues. Got setup with a doctor here and probably in about August I started terrible itching every few days and I took benadryl for that. I was thinking it was a withdrawl side effect because every other test came back normal. At the end of October I decided to go to 5mg because maybe that would help with my itching. Soon after, I did stop itching for the most part so I thought I did good.

I would say in late November I became nauseous here and there for brief spells but nothing too bad. Then in the beginning of December the nausea became slightly worse, and I ended up in the ER on 12/9 for nausea, headache, dizzyness, feeling out of control, and just plain scared. The doctor said I was experiencing a migraine...huh?? Never had one in my life. Went back to my regular doctor and he started me on zantac because I was describing my nausea as feeling like something was always going to come up, hyper salivating, etc. I've had heartburn before and this didn't seem like heartburn to me but whatever, I'll give it a shot. So I started on that a little over a week ago to no avail, I think.

So basically since 12/20, along with a few days in the previous week, I've been extremely nauseous pretty much the whole day. I've only been able to eat bland foods, and not much of them. I haven't actually vomited and I have a fear of doing so. Since the beginning of the month I've lost a little over 15 pounds (no worries there, I still have about 100 to lose, but still not good). I'm starting a new job in January and I need to be able to get through the day.

So today, I decided to go back up to 10mg, and so far, so good. A little nervous, dizzy, slight nausea. I'm always super nervous to make changes to my meds. Even though the withdrawl came late, I believe that it was causing the nausea and perhaps the jump from 10 to 5 was too large. I now have liquid paxil so I can taper my mg.

My current plan is to stabilize at 10mg for a month or so, and then try 9mg, etc. I go to the doctor again next week and my doctor is wonderful to work with so I think he will be up for my revised plan.

So my current question is how long will it take for the nausea to completely go away and feeling back to normal now that I'm taking the 10mg?

Thanks for reading my story and if you have any other ideas and suggestions for me I'd love to hear them.

Hugs to all,
Rachel
RachWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
NoRx4me

Re: New here and looking for advice

Wow. It sounds like you've figured everything out. About half way through reading I'm thinking "maybe going back to 10mg, getting liquid, smaller drops, etc.". You've already done it!

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is; It's different for everyone.

I hope you feel better soon! You're doing everything right.
NoRx4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
cyclist

Rachel- I'm in a very similar spot as you- 30 years old and been on Paxil at 30mg for roughly 10 years. Like you, I've tapered down in 5mg increments. I am now at 15 mg and am going to drop to 10mg soon. Severe nausea is the main problem I have encountered as well.

I tried everything for the nausea and for me the only thing that works is Dramamine. It can be purchased over the counter at any pharmacy and is essentially sea sickness medicine. It eliminates about 80% of the nausea for me.

I have also used ginger and acupuncture to help with the nausea but I am not sure how effective they have been. I drink ginger tea and I add fresh ginger to the tea- I add the fresh ginger by putting it in a garlic press to extract the liquid from the ginger which is the freshest most potent way to take it.

In my experience the nausea lasts 2-4 weeks after the drop. Personally I would not go from 5mg back up to 10mg as you will have to endure the drop eventually.

Good luck on toughing it out and I hope the dramamine works as well for you as it did for me.
cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
RachWC

Thanks all for your advice and for listening. So on 12/29 I took my regular dose of 5mg paxil in the AM and was actually feeling pretty good. Then around lunch time the nausea returned and even though I struggled with the decision, I decided to take another 5mg of paxil. I would say within 15 minutes the nausea was gone and I was feeling totally at peace!! That was incredible to me that it could happen like that, and scary at the same time how powerful the medication is. Anyway, I'm now taking 10mg paxil in the AM and will probably stay here for awhile until I feel ready to move to liquid for a very slow taper.

So for the past week I've been able to eat more, go out, do things, enjoy life, etc. for about 90-95% of the time. Usually at some point during the day I feel a little dizzy, and a few times have stepped back a bit in my footing with a head rush (one time at the grocery store so at least I could hold onto the cart!) and a feeling like I'm almost nauseous but something is keeping it at bay..can't really describe it. These symptoms seem more like anxiety to me and now withdrawl, but who knows. I'm just practicing my deep breathing, self talk, getting outdoors and walking, and getting through it.

Anyway, going to see my doctor on Weds. Thanks for the suggestion on keeping the nausea at bay-definitely gonna tuck those tips away. I had tried some candied ginger once but the taste was too strong so I gave up.

Take care and stay strong, everyone!
Rachel
Old 01-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
daisyydaisy

There is ginger candy you can buy at a health food store. It doestn' taste great but it sure makes you feel good and the nausea goes away for a while...little bits of relief do help.
March 27-08 20.0mg
May 2-08 17.5mg
june 5-08 15.0mg
july 11-08 12.5mg nausea,heaving
july 24-08 15.0mg bit better
july 29-08 17.5mg bit better
august 4-08 20mg and staying put
March 29/10: New thyroid med Eltroxin .1mg
July 19. 2010 17.5mg
October 29 15.0mg
Dec 27 17.5mg
*found out I have hashimoto/thryoid issues and prediabetes.*
daisyydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
RachWC

Thanks Daisy! Yes, I bought some candied ginger at Trader Joes and the taste was a bit much for me. However, if and when my nausea returns I'll give it another shot.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
subrata101

Your all decisions are perfect it looks that you are in the right track. You had been able to reduce your drug to a big extent within comparatively much shorter time and that itself is a big success. It would be wise to stay at 10Mg. as long as required and then to proceed through liquid drug slowly at the tune of your body response. It does not matter whether it takes 6 months or 1 year to wean off completely, provided you progress slowly, but steadily and you do not have to back out. The objective ideally should be to lead the normal life and at the same time come out of the evil drug.

Best wishes to your safe journey.

Subrata 101
subrata101 is offline   Reply With Quote