our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Health Challenges
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health Challenges Anxiety, depression, OCD, headaches, weight and more.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 01-11-2011, 06:29 AM   #1
Paxhell

How I overcame my sexual dysfunction

I posted some time ago how well I was doing but I forgot to mention that Zinc was the most important eliment in my recovery. I had all the sexual side effects and they didn't go away until I started taking Zinc suppliments. I took 60 mg a day and started to notice a difference after 3-4 weeks, I regained my sex drive, erections were better and I regained morning erections. Zinc is not just a suppliment, it's a very important eliment in the body and controls over 300 enzimes. Zinc is a hormonal balancer. Paxil causes dopamine downregulation, which causes too much prolactin, which causes too much DHT (dihydrotestosterone), which often results in less free testosterone and more free Estrogen in men. Zinc is an aromataze inhabitor and keeps DHT in check via 5-alpha reductase inhabitation, thus increasing the free testosteron in your system, it also has some dopamine re-uptake inhabitation benefits. I took bloodtests before I started the Zinc, and after, and my testosterone went from 19 to 28, 27 in a month. Btw, 19 is still withing range. Many who take paxil don't realize they have less free testosterone and bloodwork might even say that the testosterone is within normal range, but that doesn't say anything, young men should have hight testosterone, or testosterone levels in the upper third. The dopamine downregulation that causes increase estradiol and prolactin will completely kill your sex drive if you are a man. If any one is battling PSSD, try Zinc. In fact, Zinc deficiency and low Zinc is very commen in men and can cause alot of troubles. This post is of course meant for men, as I have only researched Zinc and male sexual dysorders.
Paxhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
cinephile

Re: How I overcame my sexual dysfunction

Very interesting! May I ask what supplement/brand you took?

Also, 60 mg seems quite high, as I've heard 15mg is the recommended amount. Was your doctor OK with you taking that much? But perhaps SSRIs deplete zinc levels so you'd need to take more. This seems plausible as we know they deplete other vitamins.

I also find this zinc discussion interesting as I've heard zinc levels (either too much OR too little) can influence hair loss. I remember a few years ago I was stunned to realize I was losing my hair, at age 24! This seemed to coincide with my plummeting libido. Hmmm...

Regardless, I personally think I will first get off this junk FIRST before adding more vitamins/supplements to the mix. I'm currently reducing my dose by 10% every month and I should be done next year. Getting off the SSRI will be a major triumph in and of itself (been on this garbage for about ten years, just like you were) and I'll give myself another six months to see if my libido comes back naturally. If not, I will gradually, one by one, add vitamins/supplements under close doctor supervision.
cinephile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
brunyan

I can only speak for me. But after coming off lexapro which i was on for 4 years my sexual dysfunction has slowly gotten worse. I cannot feel my genitals and i do not get morning erections anymore. Its like that part of my life has been zapped off.
2004 Neurotin
Lexapro
Seroquel
2005 OFF MEDS ENTIRELY
2006 -2009 Lexapro
March 2010 Off Lexapro on Zyprexa
November 2010 off Zyprexa

Off ALL MEDICATION -Jan 22nd

Symptoms: Sexual Dysfunction while on Lexapro during 2009. Bad PSSD after coming off in March 2010Cognitive Problems, Sensitivities to food (especially sugar/caffeine/alcohol)
NOVEMBER 8th 2011 almost ALL symptoms of PSSD and withdrawal are gone
brunyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Paxhell

60mg is not too much, I have blood tests every now and then to check my zinc levels. The levels are 12-25. Mine was 16 which is not that high, and that was after taking 60mg for months. I also suffered hairloss at 24 with no family history of MPB. Low Zinc results in an enzime called 5-alpha reductase to make too much DHT. DHT is what causes male pattern baldness. Paxil causes dopamine downlegulation which results in too much prolactin. prolactin activates 5alpha reductase. Zinc is supposed to balence the hormons but if its too low, it won't. To make it simple. Paxil=dopamine downregulation, dopamine downregulation=high prolactin, high prolactin=high DHT, Hight DHT=hairloss and also high DHT and high estrogen=low libido. Zinc inhabits 5alpha reductase and lowers estrogen levels and that's causes rise in testosterone. Zinc also balences dopamine/prolactin. So start taking Zinc now, not later. 15mg is the recommended dose, correct but it's not enough to do what we need it to do. They err on the side of caution with the 15mg dosage. 60mg is ok, just research it yourself. Many body builders that use steroids take 70-100mg Zinc, they do that to make sure the testosterone isn't aromatised into estrogen and converted to DHT via 5-alpha. BTW, did you ever have any prostate problems?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
long_way_home

Brunyan, how long did it take you to go from your full dose of Lexapro to nothing?
01/01/10-03/23/10: 5mg
03/24/10-04/19/10: nothing
Experienced bad withdrawal, so decided to reinstate and taper
04/20/10: Reinstated 5mg for 2 weeks
05/06/10: 4.5mg
06/03/10: 4mg
07/26/10: 3.6mg
09/06/10: 3.4mg
11/10/10: 3.1mg (No major withdrawal symptoms below this dose)
Continued to taper 10% every 3 weeks...
06/15/11: Reached 0.9mg
07/05/11: 0.8mg
07/27/11: 0.7mg
08/16/11: Off Lexapro!
long_way_home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
cinephile

What kind of prostate problems? The only thing I can think of is frequent urination, but I'm 95% sure that is due to stress/anxiety. Trust me on this one

I just had some labs done and my testosterone was low normal (around 300 on the scale of 250-1200) and my free T was 64 on the 35-155 scale. However, my prolactin was normal (I didn't ask the doc what my value was on that one, but I'll be getting the full results in the mail soon).

I should mention that I am about 50 pounds overweight and am very stressed right now for various reasons. I KNOW this is a contributing factor to my libido as when I do manage to relax via meditation or exercise, my libido SOMETIMES (not always) spontaneously jumps up.

I should also mention I do have MPB in my family, and on my mother's side, which is the classic scenario.

I guess I'm on the fence with the zinc thing as of right now as I honestly don't know if it's the solution for me. BUT, I have my next appointment with my doc in March and I will bring up the zinc issue with him for sure, as this doesn't seem like a really risky thing to do and may help.

Another question: Please tell me which brand/form of zinc you take! I've heard zinc picolinate is the best as it's the most easily absorbed for the body.

Thanks again!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
brunyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by long_way_home View Post
Brunyan, how long did it take you to go from your full dose of Lexapro to nothing?
I stupidly cold turkeyed in about 2 weeks. After being on the medication for 3 1/2 years

I will add that my sexual problems started ON the medication, and got much worse when i went off.
2004 Neurotin
Lexapro
Seroquel
2005 OFF MEDS ENTIRELY
2006 -2009 Lexapro

Symptoms: Sexual Dysfunction while on Lexapro during 2009. Bad PSSD after coming off in March 2010Cognitive Problems, Sensitivities to food (especially sugar/caffeine/alcohol)
Old 01-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
Paxhell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinephile View Post
What kind of prostate problems? The only thing I can think of is frequent urination, but I'm 95% sure that is due to stress/anxiety. Trust me on this one

I just had some labs done and my testosterone was low normal (around 300 on the scale of 250-1200) and my free T was 64 on the 35-155 scale. However, my prolactin was normal (I didn't ask the doc what my value was on that one, but I'll be getting the full results in the mail soon).

I should mention that I am about 50 pounds overweight and am very stressed right now for various reasons. I KNOW this is a contributing factor to my libido as when I do manage to relax via meditation or exercise, my libido SOMETIMES (not always) spontaneously jumps up.

I should also mention I do have MPB in my family, and on my mother's side, which is the classic scenario.

I guess I'm on the fence with the zinc thing as of right now as I honestly don't know if it's the solution for me. BUT, I have my next appointment with my doc in March and I will bring up the zinc issue with him for sure, as this doesn't seem like a really risky thing to do and may help.

Another question: Please tell me which brand/form of zinc you take! I've heard zinc picolinate is the best as it's the most easily absorbed for the body.

Thanks again!
Your testosteone levels are quit low. Zinc will help with that. There is nothing to be nervous about, Zinc is not a medication, it's an important eliment in your body. About the brands. I use zinc picolinate, that's easily absorbed. Take it before you go to sleep, not in the morning. And check your Zinc levels next time you have a blood test.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
Darkcloud
Banned

Good stuff paxhell, so glad to hear you've recovered. It certaintly brings hope for us those of us sufffering. It's definitely worth a go even though it might not work for everyone. One more thing, did you suffer from blunted emotions along with sexual dysfunction that the zinc helped resolve too?
Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
thinksecret

paxhell, glad to hear you're doing better, but what's me making me surprising, in your threat "3 years off paxil - my story " you sad walking made all the differences to you sexual dysfunction...now you're "claiming" that zink made all the diffence to you...pleace, that's no personal attack on you, but I'm suffering from PSSD so I don't really understand this, because in one threat you said walking makes the difference, now you're claiming that zink was it at all...

@brunyan

I'm the person from pssd group @yahoo...who compare our situation with the film "saw" you ask me how long I'm off from the drugs...I don't want to answere that on this group, because this group is taking me down....feel free to contact me via private message on paxilprogress! I admire your force with that problem we have!

greetings niko
Old 01-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
Paxhell

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinksecret View Post
paxhell, glad to hear you're doing better, but what's me making me surprising, in your threat "3 years off paxil - my story " you sad walking made all the differences to you sexual dysfunction...now you're "claiming" that zink made all the diffence to you...pleace, that's no personal attack on you, but I'm suffering from PSSD so I don't really understand this, because in one threat you said walking makes the difference, now you're claiming that zink was it at all...

@brunyan

I'm the person from pssd group @yahoo...who compare our situation with the film "saw" you ask me how long I'm off from the drugs...I don't want to answere that on this group, because this group is taking me down....feel free to contact me via private message on paxilprogress! I admire your force with that problem we have!

greetings niko
I get what you mean. The walks helped alot. Don't forget that exercise increases dopamine and balences your hormones. The reason I didn't mention Zinc in my first thread is because first, I started taking it for hairloss (also a side effect of paxil) and I didn't realise that it was the zinc that increased testosterone so much. When I created the other thread I hadn't realised how important the zinc was. A close friend of mine started taking Zinc and his sex drive increased alot and we were discussing this in July I think, I then put two and two together and decided to take a bloodtest to compare it to and older one I took, before Zinc, and I was amazed. So I did research for 5 months before coming back here and posated this thread, and I did that in the spirit of hope for the others. But the exercise I mentioned were, I am sure, just as important, they also helped me SOOO much when it came to my depression, my sleep pattern and even eating habits. This thread is not made to tell you that I was wrong about the walks just because I have read about zinc and hormones for 5 months. Bottom line is I am better and this is how I did it.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #12
cinephile

Thanks so much for the clarification and research paxhell!
2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

Currently tapering Lexapro 10% every month:

STARTING: 15mg
11/7/10: 13.5 mg
12/7/10: 12.2 mg
1/6/11: 10.9 mg
2/3/11: 9.8 mg
3/3/11: 8.8 mg
4/1/11: 7.8 mg
Old 01-13-2011, 04:48 AM   #13
pboy

This is interesting to know!

Has anyone else suffered from brainfog after orgasm, during withdrawal or after? To be clear, I dont have a high sex drive due to Lexaporo, but the urge comes maybe once a week/fortnight or so. But I've noticed that afterwards, the next day I feel totally dead and brainfogged, like a chronic fatigue state. The last time it lasted for 3-4 days and I could barely get out of the house. Supposedly it's caused by a large drop in dopamine/increase in prolactin. I wonder if Zinc would help this. Last time I tried taking Zinc it made me feel nauseous.

edit: I have the hairloss problem too and I'm only 25.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboy View Post
This is interesting to know!

Has anyone else suffered from brainfog after orgasm, during withdrawal or after? To be clear, I dont have a high sex drive due to Lexaporo, but the urge comes maybe once a week/fortnight or so. But I've noticed that afterwards, the next day I feel totally dead and brainfogged, like a chronic fatigue state. The last time it lasted for 3-4 days and I could barely get out of the house. Supposedly it's caused by a large drop in dopamine/increase in prolactin. I wonder if Zinc would help this. Last time I tried taking Zinc it made me feel nauseous.

edit: I have the hairloss problem too and I'm only 25.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/fo...p?topic=6576.0
connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #15
brunyan

Hey Paxhell. Can you tell us what brand Zinc you took?
2004 Neurotin
Lexapro
Seroquel
2005 OFF MEDS ENTIRELY
2006 -2009 Lexapro

Old 02-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #16
Paxhell

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunyan View Post
Hey Paxhell. Can you tell us what brand Zinc you took?
Zinc Picolinate. That's easily absorbed. It's a good idea to take it before bed, with b-6. Just reasearch it.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #17
brunyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxhell View Post
Zinc Picolinate. That's easily absorbed. It's a good idea to take it before bed, with b-6. Just reasearch it.
Thanks.

I have been taking it in the morning, in the evening you say aye?

I actually have noticed more morning erections since I began taking it!
2004 Neurotin
Lexapro
Seroquel
2005 OFF MEDS ENTIRELY
2006 -2009 Lexapro

Old 03-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #18
brunyan

Would just like to report that I have seen progress with this supplement. Undeniable progress.

I can have and maintain erections better, orgasms are better and i have erections in the morning daily now.

However the numbness (the WORST part) and libido are still lagging behind. Hopefully that will sort itself out.
2004 Neurotin
Lexapro
Seroquel
2005 OFF MEDS ENTIRELY
2006 -2009 Lexapro

Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #19
cinephile

Hey Ben, a question:

How long did it take for the zinc to work for you? I've been taking 60 mg of zinc piccolinate nightly w/ b6 for 10 days and haven't noticed anything yet. I figure it could be another few weeks before I notice anything.

And, of course, I'm still on Lexapro (about halfway done with my taper).

Thanks!
2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

Currently tapering Lexapro 10% every month:

STARTING: 15mg
11/7/10: 13.5 mg
12/7/10: 12.2 mg
1/6/11: 10.9 mg
2/3/11: 9.8 mg
3/3/11: 8.8 mg
4/1/11: 7.8 mg
Old 03-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #20
brunyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinephile View Post
Hey Ben, a question:

How long did it take for the zinc to work for you? I've been taking 60 mg of zinc piccolinate nightly w/ b6 for 10 days and haven't noticed anything yet. I figure it could be another few weeks before I notice anything.

And, of course, I'm still on Lexapro (about halfway done with my taper).

Thanks!
It took maybe 3 weeks to notice anything.

I use the NOW foods brand.
2004 Neurotin
Lexapro
Seroquel
2005 OFF MEDS ENTIRELY
2006 -2009 Lexapro

Old 04-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #21
kj630

Just came across this post. Anyone else try Zinc with success for sexual symptoms or otherwise? Trying to decide if I want to try this or not. Zinc sounds pretty harmless, considering there is already 15mg in my multivitamin. Maybe wouldn't start with 60mg, but think its willing to try if others had success. My free and total T are very low too...waiting right now for my Zinc levels to come back from the lab. Also heard that you need to make sure to supplement with a little bit of copper (2mg per every 15mg of Zinc?)...don't know if this is right or not.

Anyone end up having Zinc help them on the emotional blunting side too through the dopamine reuptake? I ran across an article somewhere a while back where the researchers used Zinc for children with ADHD due to the dopamine reuptake properties and had some good results.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #22
Schwinn57

I was on Paxil for about 2 months at the highest dosage and it has been one month since I have been off of it. I have no libido and the inability to hold an erection for very long.

I am now on Wellbutrin, which is supposed to increase libido and reverse the problem associated with SSRIs.

It's just my luck that my genitals decide to shut down. So far, I haven't any problems with orgasms being pleasureless or genitals going numb, but I cannot hold an erection for more than a few seconds and my libido is incredibly low.

I have decided to try these Zinc supplements. If not, then I will be trying some other supplements - such as Licorice Root (450 mg daily for three months) or if push comes to shove, I'm going to try some male enhancement products. I can't live like this.

What I wanted to know was? Where are you guys getting the B6 from?
Schwinn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #23
NoRx4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn57 View Post
I am now on Wellbutrin, which is supposed to increase libido and reverse the problem associated with SSRIs.
Do yourself a favor and read the Wellbutrin label. Whoever told you that, lied to you.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsa...358s045lbl.pdf

(see page 20 & 21 of 66 for sexual issues)

Then if you want to try male enhancement drugs, read the label for those too. Lots of scary possible side effects from those too. Especially when the drugs you're on can be the problem and coming off them (and giving it time) can resolve them.

Doctor's like to tell you that all these side effects are "rare" and they make you believe that "rare" is like one in a million. That's not even close to accurate;

"Frequent adverse events are defined as those occurring in at least 1/100 patients. Infrequent adverse events are those occurring in 1/100 to 1/1,000 patients, while rare events are those occurring in less than 1/1,000 patients"
NoRx4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #24
brunyan

Your best bet is to get off ALL medications and let things happen naturally.
2004 Neurotin
Lexapro
Seroquel
2005 OFF MEDS ENTIRELY
2006 -2009 Lexapro

Old 09-06-2011, 05:34 AM   #25
brunyan

I would like to add that your zinc usage and PSSD recovery is probably more correlation than causation. I have known quite a few people on here and elsewhere that made natural and supplement free recoveries (starting to include myself) from PSSD.

50 bucks says that if you stopped taking the supplements you'd be just fine.

-Ben
2004 Neurotin
Lexapro
Seroquel
2005 OFF MEDS ENTIRELY
2006 -2009 Lexapro