our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 05-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
rpwolfgang

stay on Paxil forever

What are the reasons that everyone says "you can't stay on forever"? I mean why not? If it works for you why can't you stay on?
rpwolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
rangerNY
Administrator
Wax on. Wax off.

Re: stay on Paxil forever

A few of the most common reasons:

1. Weight gain. That's not insignificant. Obesity is dangerous.

2. Emotional neutrality. Not something that people tend to like long-term.

3. Surpression of good judgement. Also not a good thing long-term. It tends to lead to things like bankruptcy, marital infidelity and substance abuse in people that otherwise would never have those problems.

4. Poop-out. At some point, SSRIs stop working for EVERYONE. Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when. For some its months, for others it can be 10 years or more, but it will happen. Then you're back to square one with the added bonus of possibly dealing with severe withdrawal/tolerance issues. Woohoo!

5. There are better ways. CBT and talk therapy combined with lifestyle interventions (diet, exercise, etc.) have all been shown time and time again to be as effective short-term, and MORE effective long-term, than antidepressants in most anxiety and depression cases. That's just harder work.

6. Sexual side effects. Not a small issue for many people, since humans tend to enjoy sexual intimacy with people they love.

I'm sure others will chime in too.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
anjopom

I am probably the best example here of why you cannot stay on paxil for ever, after raching tolerance in 05, then being reinstated in 06, then tolerance wd to date.
Ranger is bang on, and given you all the reasons as to why, yes it may work now, and im happy for you that it does, but in time it wont, for me it was my 8th year of use, and ignorent dctors advice, that kept me on this drug for 14yrs, hard to get off, you better believe it, happy im off, yes!!!
NOv 2007 started a very super slow taper.
May 11th 2011, off seroxat, job done.

" A snails pace wins the race"
anjopom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
mackenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerNY View Post
A few of the most common reasons:

1. Weight gain. That's not insignificant. Obesity is dangerous.

2. Emotional neutrality. Not something that people tend to like long-term.

3. Surpression of good judgement. Also not a good thing long-term. It tends to lead to things like bankruptcy, marital infidelity and substance abuse in people that otherwise would never have those problems.

4. Poop-out. At some point, SSRIs stop working for EVERYONE. Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when. For some its months, for others it can be 10 years or more, but it will happen. Then you're back to square one with the added bonus of possibly dealing with severe withdrawal/tolerance issues. Woohoo!

5. There are better ways. CBT and talk therapy combined with lifestyle interventions (diet, exercise, etc.) have all been shown time and time again to be as effective short-term, and MORE effective long-term, than antidepressants in most anxiety and depression cases. That's just harder work.

6. Sexual side effects. Not a small issue for many people, since humans tend to enjoy sexual intimacy with people they love.

I'm sure others will chime in too.
Drew said it perfectly. Of the reasons listed, poop out, weight gain, and feeling emotionally dead were the biggies for me, along with crushing fatigue that made it almost impossible for me to wake up in the a.m. Oh, and a complete lack of motivation. The poop-out meant I would have had to up my dose or switch to another drug--I can't imagine. Anyway, I couldn't keep living this way forever, even if it had kept working like a charm to prevent panic attacks.

Mackenzie
Started Paxil 20 mg in 2003 for panic attacks/anxiety. Weaned off too fast in 2005, panic attacks/anxiety returned worse than before and had high blood pressure. Started therapy in 2009 and began weaning again from 20 mg.
4/25-12/26/09: 18 mg-8 mg
1/23/10: 7 mg
4/17/10: 6.5 mg
4/24/10: 6.0 mg
5/22/10: 5.4 mg
7/16/10: 5 mg
10/18/10 4.5 mg
11/27/10 4.0 mg
1/8/11 3.6 mg
2/5/11 3.2 mg
3/7/11 2.8 mg
3/31/11 2.5 mg
5/2/11 0 mg
mackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
rpwolfgang

So, how has the anxiety/depression been since you all have been off Paxil? Are you using other methods to cope?
rpwolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
brunyan

I would say that the withdrawal process (at its worse) was so so bad that anything better than that makes life seem great. So Its almost like there is no depression. That is just me though.
2004 Neurotin
Lexapro
Seroquel
2005 OFF MEDS ENTIRELY
2006 -2009 Lexapro
March 2010 Off Lexapro on Zyprexa
November 2010 off Zyprexa

Off ALL MEDICATION -Jan 22nd

Symptoms: Sexual Dysfunction while on Lexapro during 2009. Bad PSSD after coming off in March 2010Cognitive Problems, Sensitivities to food (especially sugar/caffeine/alcohol)
NOVEMBER 8th 2011 almost ALL symptoms of PSSD and withdrawal are gone
brunyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
mackenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpwolfgang View Post
So, how has the anxiety/depression been since you all have been off Paxil? Are you using other methods to cope?
I'm probably still going through WD since I only went off a few weeks ago, so hard to say at this point, but so far the anxiety hasn't been too awful--and no panic attacks for awhile

Mackenzie
Started Paxil 20 mg in 2003 for panic attacks/anxiety. Weaned off too fast in 2005, panic attacks/anxiety returned worse than before and had high blood pressure. Started therapy in 2009 and began weaning again from 20 mg.
10/18/10 4.5 mg
11/27/10 4.0 mg
1/8/11 3.6 mg
2/5/11 3.2 mg
3/7/11 2.8 mg
3/31/11 2.5 mg
5/2/11 0 mg
Old 05-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
M. Bear

Hi there,

I am curious about this question too. I am also curious about the phenomenon of "poop-out." Is this scientifically verified? I have gathered from posts on this site that poop-out refers to the brain's eventual adaptation to the presence of the drug, which results in a tolerance that renders the drug ineffective. My question is that if after a long period of time your brain has fully adapted to the drug, would you not have arrived at some form of chemically-induced normalcy? At this stage, the ssri's effectiveness in combating anxiety/depression may reduced somewhat from when the patient first took the drug, but I would imagine the process is gradual, and there are ways of learning to cope. On the other hand, to go off the drug at this point will drastically increase anxiety/depression levels, and cause a plethora of other woeful side effects (as it has done to me), because the changes the brain has undergone while on the drug, cannot cope with the new neurological scenario that results from going off of it. Let's say, for example, you do not experience any side effects other than poop out if you have been on paxil or some other ssri for a long time--you have a harder time with depression, but basically you can cope--are you not better off staying on the drug? Have any studies been conducted that show other more serious side effects of staying on paxil, or any other ssri, for a long time or forever? Does anyone have any personal experiences that testify that life was worse long-term on paxil than it was during withdrawal? I may be in the minority here, but I really didn't have a bad time when I was on paxil for 10+ years. I went off because I was feeling fine, and because my doctor thought it would be a good idea. I know I was only on 2.5 mg, but I can assure you, the withdrawal has been brutal. I am a different person now.
2.5 mg September 2000 - February 2010
February 2010: Paxil Free, Withdrawal begins.
M. Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
westeewoman

Poopout is acknowledged as a possibility, I would say.

Prozac, imipramine, klonopin 1989-1993
Paxil 1993-1998 poop-out/ct
Celexa 1998-2005 poop-out/ct
Cymbalta 60 mg July, 2005
last propranolol 15 mg/day April 6, 2007
last Serax 10 mg/day April 6, 2007
Cymbalta 60 mg 8/23/07 to 50.5 mg on 2/24/08 in six drops
Cymbalta 49.0mg 3/26/2008 to 40mg 2/6/2009 in nine drops
Cymbalta 38.5mg 4/15/2009 to 30mg 7/14/2010 in eight drops
westeewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
palm

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Bear View Post
Hi there,

I am curious about this question too. I am also curious about the phenomenon of "poop-out." Is this scientifically verified? I have gathered from posts on this site that poop-out refers to the brain's eventual adaptation to the presence of the drug, which results in a tolerance that renders the drug ineffective. My question is that if after a long period of time your brain has fully adapted to the drug, would you not have arrived at some form of chemically-induced normalcy? At this stage, the ssri's effectiveness in combating anxiety/depression may reduced somewhat from when the patient first took the drug, but I would imagine the process is gradual, and there are ways of learning to cope. On the other hand, to go off the drug at this point will drastically increase anxiety/depression levels, and cause a plethora of other woeful side effects (as it has done to me), because the changes the brain has undergone while on the drug, cannot cope with the new neurological scenario that results from going off of it. Let's say, for example, you do not experience any side effects other than poop out if you have been on paxil or some other ssri for a long time--you have a harder time with depression, but basically you can cope--are you not better off staying on the drug? Have any studies been conducted that show other more serious side effects of staying on paxil, or any other ssri, for a long time or forever? Does anyone have any personal experiences that testify that life was worse long-term on paxil than it was during withdrawal? I may be in the minority here, but I really didn't have a bad time when I was on paxil for 10+ years. I went off because I was feeling fine, and because my doctor thought it would be a good idea. I know I was only on 2.5 mg, but I can assure you, the withdrawal has been brutal. I am a different person now.
Hi M Bear,

As a disclaimer, I am not stating anything as fact but simply responding based on my personal experience and opinion.

To be honest, due to all the hardships that getting of a psych med cocktail has caused me (not claiming I am a worse case scenario or anything like that just to be clear), I wondered if I would have done better staying on the meds at one point.

I asked myself if perhaps I could have learned to deal with the poopout that i feel occurred.

But in thinking more about the situation, I developed horrific side effects that I feel would have greatly worsened if I had stayed on the meds. That is what prompted me to start tapering off of them in 2006. So for me, it was worth it to taper in spite of the difficulties I have dealt with.

Not to sound like I am bashing psychiatry because I am not, but not having to be in the mental health system is a great feeling.

I personally know someone who seems to be doing very well on an SSRI and doesn't seem to have suffered any side effects. For this person, staying on the med might be a better decision vs. getting off it.

Unfortunately, there aren't any studies on this and for various reasons, I don't think there will be. Another post

I am so sorry withdrawal has been brutal for you especially when you seem to have been doing well on the med. Hopefully, that will quickly change.

Palm
Old 05-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
Zepine

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Bear View Post
Hi there,

I have gathered from posts on this site that poop-out refers to the brain's eventual adaptation to the presence of the drug, which results in a tolerance that renders the drug ineffective. My question is that if after a long period of time your brain has fully adapted to the drug, would you not have arrived at some form of chemically-induced normalcy?

Does anyone have any personal experiences that testify that life was worse long-term on paxil than it was during withdrawal?

If you reach tolerance withdrawal (the worser end of pooping out) the drug turns on you and you have to increase the dose to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Some drugs acts differently on higher doses and you end up not only with tolerance w/d but a new set of side effects. And, of course, you cannot increase the dose infinitely. At some point you will become toxic. It seems as if you have pooped out, and definitely if you reached tolerance withdrawal, you are very likely to experience a severe withdrawal.

Personally I think the act of taking a pill every day and what it represents is not a healthy ritual.

Jenny
Currently on Mirtazapine and Zopiclone.

April 15: Mirtazapine 30 mg
May 16: Mirtazapine 25 mg

Zepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
texgirl
Regina Benzodictius

The physical risks to the body from being on SSRIs long-term are significant. Several studies have shown a link between SSRIs and diabetes, to name one example, as well as other serious conditions linked to SSRI-caused obesity.

Face. Accept. Float. Let Time Pass. — Dr. Claire Weekes

We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same. — Carlos Castañeda
texgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
M. Bear

Hi Jenny,

Did you experience tolerance withdrawal firsthand? Zaps etc? If so, would you be able to be a bit more specific about symptoms/effects?

I agree with you that dependence on ssris is not a healthy ritual. But if you have begun this ritual, and life without it is much worse, then what do you do?

I am currently struggling to live without paxil, but life without it has definitely been much worse than life on it. As I said, I was on the drug for 10+ years without any real problems. I am just trying to figure out how to proceed from here. Aspect of my life are falling apart a little bit: i.e. career.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
anjopom

Hi MBear,
My life fell apart on the drug, 8 yrs in and i have anxiety issues that are insane, nervousness that i never had before, agoraphobia because of the horrific anxiety, that later became akathesia, shall i go on!!!
Plus while dealing with all of that, i had every other symptom in the book and felt really unwell on the drug. At the end of the day, the drug can " turn " on you, and create situations that are far worse than any you had before that precipitated your first prescription.

Yes wd can be nasty, it can be downright brutal, but id rather be and feel like "me", than continue to be made more ill by poisoning my mind and body with a powerful drug i didnt need in the first place, i was prescribed for grief btw, and ive had more grief from the drug and its issues than any i ever had before in my life.

The choice is yours !!!!!
You asked for opinions and thats what you have, but i do understand your dilemma.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
M. Bear

Hi Anjopom,

I'm sorry to hear that life has become so hellish. This is indeed a scary drug! Did your adverse side effects begin when you began taking the drug, or did they develop years later?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #16
Zepine

Hi Bear,

I am so sorry you are struggling. I know first hand how devastating this can be if it goes on for a longer period of time. There is just no way to know how long it will take, and how hard it will be.

Yes I think I have experienced tolerance w/d from Zolpdiem and Zopiclone. In fact I think I experience it this very moment. Those are z-drugs and works in a similar way as benzos, but I think the situation is the same no matter what psycho-trope you are taking. If I am wrong on this I hope someone will correct me.

The symptoms are severe, a loooong list of symptoms with anxiety, extreme fatigue and social phobia being the most debilitating. But I have just gone through a Lyrica taper on top of protracted withdrawal form Effexor cold turkey so everything are mixed up for me. I have terrible inter-dose withdrawal from Zopiclone though. My history with meds are complicated (on, and off many different meds and c/t:s) and I think this is the main reason they "turned on me". It might not be the case for you.

Sorry, I don't know if this is any help at all. I seem to have problems formulating tonite. Anyway, I really hope you will see some relief soon and that you will be able to hold on to your job.

J
Currently on Mirtazapine and Zopiclone.

April 15: Mirtazapine 30 mg
May 16: Mirtazapine 25 mg

Zepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #17
laughlady99

Thanks for all the posts, I wish I could get everyone to come here and read this stuff BEFORE deciding to take this medication, but the doctors so nonchalantly just hand it out like candy and say TRY THIS without giving any additional information, and it's sad. When I originally started taking it (I think my daughter was around age 2, she is 11 now) I had horrific anxiety and health problems on a regular basis that I was freaking out about and ending up at the emergency room for all the time and being told it was nothing. This pill was like a miracle drug (after about a week of taking it). I felt great. What led me to go off of it was after 5 or more years of being on the pill, my mood and attitude was completely changing. The only way I can describe it is "BLAH". I was great at pretending to be happy but I was getting more and more to the point that I wasn't feeling much of anything, and I started pushing it and doing things I'd never done before just to get some sort of rush because I wanted to feel something. We would be on a family outing or something and my husband would just look at me and say "you never look like you are having fun." The mood changes coupled with the lack of sex drive is what had my hubby pushing me to go off it. I refused for a long time because I was scared all my issues would come back, but after a while I finally agreed to try going off because physically I was feeling wonderful, felt like I could do anything and didn't worry about a thing. I didn't know about all these withdrawl symptoms until I was down to 5mg (from 20mg), because the jump from 10 to 5 was horrible. I know it's a good thing I'm off the pill now (for a year and a half), but I am back to experiencing all my old anxieties and NOT liking it at all. I have thought to myself many times when hearing "you can't stay on it forever' WHY NOT? I felt great, so I had some mental issues, it was better dealing with those I think than dealing with this crap. I swore up and down this pill was the devil when I was going off of it, and that I would never again take anything like this, but I find myself wishing I'd never went off it. So this is a great thread here, thanks for posting everyone...
laughlady99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #18
mapleleafgirl25

Poor Judgement...happened to me..i did some risky stuff that i would not otherwise have done off paxil..i have always had very good judgement..and when i went on paxil..that all went to hell in a handcart!
04/11/2012 - 6.0 - 3.4 - 05/05/2013 (Third year into Taper)
06/04/2013 - 3.2 - 1.0 - 05/31/2014 (Fourth Year -Taper Done)
PAXIL FREE - JUNE 1 2014
mapleleafgirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #19
anjopom

Hi Mbear,

No i had no issues or symptoms when i first started the drug at all, until my 8th year of use, when i started getting what i now know are symptoms of wd, ie tolerance, i didnt even know the symptoms i was having were anxiety.
I was taken off ct when i told my doctor the symptoms i was having - that was a place worse than hell, im sure you know if you have ct.
I was off the drug for 4.5 months and reinstated because the symptoms were unbearable.
After reinstatement the symptoms remained the same for some months, until i decided in nov 2007, i was going to try a tiny reduction in dose, because of the weight gain and no relief from the misery.
After that first tiny cut, the next day the brain fog left, unbelieveable, but i swear its true!!!!!! i knew then that i had to let go of my crutch eventually, and continued tapering on down, just filing the tab down so gradual, it ended up taking me 56 months, and even then i was petrified because of my ct experience.
After my last dose of paxil 2 weeks ago, the anxiety and akathesia has virtually all but gone, and i really pray that they dont return.
Akathesia is absolutely terrible, the insanity of it, has you pacing like a maniac, cant keep still to do anything, so im not sorry to see the back of it.

Yes i have had wd, there are few that get off these drugs with zero wd at all, but it has been known. Slow slow taper is by far symptom free or nice, but.......so far, fingers crossed, it compares favourably to my first experience, which rendered me non functional, it was a really scary time, one which i think will always haunt me if im honest.

Hope this helps you to make a decision, but remember my experience may not be yours, for me reinstatement did NOT rid me of symptoms, all it did was enable me to become functional again and live a life of sorts.

I apologise for my lengthy post lol.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #20
mackenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughlady99 View Post
Thanks for all the posts, I wish I could get everyone to come here and read this stuff BEFORE deciding to take this medication, but the doctors so nonchalantly just hand it out like candy and say TRY THIS without giving any additional information, and it's sad. When I originally started taking it (I think my daughter was around age 2, she is 11 now) I had horrific anxiety and health problems on a regular basis that I was freaking out about and ending up at the emergency room for all the time and being told it was nothing. This pill was like a miracle drug (after about a week of taking it). I felt great. What led me to go off of it was after 5 or more years of being on the pill, my mood and attitude was completely changing. The only way I can describe it is "BLAH". I was great at pretending to be happy but I was getting more and more to the point that I wasn't feeling much of anything, and I started pushing it and doing things I'd never done before just to get some sort of rush because I wanted to feel something. We would be on a family outing or something and my husband would just look at me and say "you never look like you are having fun." The mood changes coupled with the lack of sex drive is what had my hubby pushing me to go off it. I refused for a long time because I was scared all my issues would come back, but after a while I finally agreed to try going off because physically I was feeling wonderful, felt like I could do anything and didn't worry about a thing. I didn't know about all these withdrawl symptoms until I was down to 5mg (from 20mg), because the jump from 10 to 5 was horrible. I know it's a good thing I'm off the pill now (for a year and a half), but I am back to experiencing all my old anxieties and NOT liking it at all. I have thought to myself many times when hearing "you can't stay on it forever' WHY NOT? I felt great, so I had some mental issues, it was better dealing with those I think than dealing with this crap. I swore up and down this pill was the devil when I was going off of it, and that I would never again take anything like this, but I find myself wishing I'd never went off it. So this is a great thread here, thanks for posting everyone...
I think I can understand what you're feeling now, especially if you're still going through major WD because it sounds like you did a very fast taper (?). I thought of it as "the grass is always greener on the other side" syndrome myself--it's just always so hard to remember what life was like on the other side (as in, the bad things we felt taking this drug) when we're suffering from WD. Also, have you taken steps to cope with the issues that caused you to take paxil in the first place (since it doesn't cure anything)? Seeing a great psychologist these past two years, ramping up my exercise, starting yoga and some meditation, and other strategies have really helped me learn to deal with my panic attacks and health anxieties.

Mackenzie
10/18/10 4.5 mg
11/27/10 4.0 mg
1/8/11 3.6 mg
2/5/11 3.2 mg
3/7/11 2.8 mg
3/31/11 2.5 mg
5/2/11 0 mg
Old 05-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #21
M. Bear

Anjopom, please do not apologize for the lengthy post! The details are the most important information! Thank you. It's hearing stories in their entirety that help us move forward with a clear head. The problem with ssris and those who prescribe them is a lack of details or information. For example, if much of the information about paxil's negative legacy that is now available was available way back when it was prescribed to me, I would not be in this boat because I wouldn't have taken it. And if current practitioners were aware of or took seriously the information that IS now out there, both in the form of research and personal testimony, a lot of new patients could be spared a lot of grief. And even with all the information we now have and that we may acquire, these drugs just seem so damn unpredictable, we may never know enough about them.

Zepine, thank you for the kind words, and it sounds like you are in the midst of of a real tough spot. I will cross my fingers for you to pull through and see some improvements. One step at a time.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #22
babs
"dare to suck big!"

Another issue not on Ranger's list is sleepiness ... I think that is the key reason I decided to quit. I was one of those who reached an altered "normal" after 11 years on Paxil. I had not "pooped out" in the sense that I was experiencing any withdrawal symptoms, but I wasn't happy the way I felt when I first started taking it, either. And I was much much fatter (though at the time I had no idea that was related to Paxil). And all I wanted to do was sleep ... I could sleep 9 or 10 hours at night and still want to nap during the day. I also feel asleep at my desk, and (nearly) at the wheel ... I literally could not start a road trip in the a.m. when sleepiness was the worst.

I had such a rough withdrawal (much too fast, due to my ignorance) that I'm surprised I didn't cave and go back on. There was just something inside of me that told me I needed to get off medication, that my body was just DONE with it. And, I also felt that if I reinstated, it would not be the same and I would be worse off. So I just kept going.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
2 failed attempts to quit
Tapered Jan-April 2005 (because I didn't know better!)
Paxil-free since May 1, 2005
babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #23
julieannboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerNY View Post

sorry to bump this thread - but i really didn't realise that you can 'poop out' after a while on these - maybe that explains why for the past 2 years i have had extreme anxiety.

so seroxat really stops working at some point??

Wow.
30mg - October 1999
20mg - October 2002 - July 2011
20mg to 10mg - July 2011 - March 2012 (10% taper)
CRASHED when i got to 5.2mg
Back on 10mg - August 2012
Staying on 10mg - for the time being.
Pleased i am on half my original dose.
julieannboo is offline   Reply With Quote